• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT3| I Cane, I Saw, I Conqu- YOU DIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZangBa

Beginner's Guide to Starting Chalice Dungeons

Alright, I've never done something like this, but I'll try to keep it concise and to the point for anyone asking questions about chalice dungeons. If I miss anything important, and I probably will, let me know. Please don't laugh at my pitiful attempt.

What are Chalice Dungeons?

Chalice Dungeons are optional content you can start doing as soon as you receive your first from the
Blood-starved Beast
. I would recommend starting them as soon as you can, because if you wait until end game, you will end up going through the earlier depth dungeons at a much higher level than intended.

Chalice Dungeons come in several forms: Standard, Root, Sinister, and Defiled.

Standard dungeons can be thought of as the "story" portion of the content. You will need to do these first to obtain better chalices and progress. These are pre-made dungeons by the devs that always have the same loot and bosses.

Root dungeons are randomized in layout, loot, and bosses. This is where you will find things such as uncanny weapons, runes, and powerful gems.

Sinister dungeons are a variant of root dungeons. These dungeons contain bell maidens that summon other players to invade your dungeon. IIRC, these must be purchased inside a standard dungeon of the same depth.

Defiled, well, I think there is only the one, and it is required that you do it while progressing. This cuts your HP in half, and is in my opinion, the most challenging.

In addition, the higher level chalices will require materials that you need to gather inside specific chalices. Eventually, you will be able to purchase most of these through the insight vendor. There are also additional rites that require rare materials found in chalice dungeons. These basically make the dungeon more difficult by spawning certain enemy types or buffing them in some sort of way. I believe the purpose is for better loot, because these enemies generally drop high level gems.

How do I start?

Simply go to any altar and choose to create a chalice. You will also be able to use other players codes at an altar to enter their chalice. You can remove these from your altars at any time, so you have plenty of room to store several favorites if you like sharing. Don't bother sharing standard dungeons, though, as these are the same for everyone.

When inside, your goal is to find lever on each layer to delve deeper. Sometimes in the hallway between layers, you will find a side dungeon. These side dungeons are generally more lucrative, and you will want to do them for the materials that you can find inside chests, especially in Root dungeons. Each layer ends with a boss, and the first 2 are usually pretty easy. Sometimes, the dungeons can go up to 4 layers, with 4 bosses.

Watch out for illusory walls. You will notice some walls seem out of place, and you can attack them to reveal the illusion. You can leave at any point, and your progress is always saved. You won't have to redo bosses, but enemies will respawn.

Why Do Chalice Dungeons?

There are several reasons I would recommend doing them.

1. Some of the best, and most challenging bosses, only appear in there, especially the final boss.
2. Uncanny and lost weapons.
3. HIgh level gems.
4. High level runes.
5. Key Items you can use in the main game,
for example, a ring that allows you to propose to the Vileblood Queen.
6. Apparently NPC's are inside, so if you like lore stuff there's that.
I've seen spider-patches inside and talked to him.
7. Well, I think it's fun.

Common Questions

How do I use the Makeshift Altar and what is it for? You need a key item to use it from I believe, Hintertomb Depth 3. It's for quick searching co-op and pvp in chalice dungeons, and also for finding a random dungeon for you to do.

What is depth? Depth is like a tier of difficulty. D1 is very easy, and D2 is not much more difficult. D3 ramps it up a bit to about level 60ish I'd say at the very least. D4 is about NG+ and D5 is a bit higher than that.

How do I get X Chalice? 3 of them are from the main story, and they drop from these bosses:
Blood-starved Beast, Ebreitas, and Amygdala.
The first Hintertomb chalice is looted in Pthumeru Depth 2. Any other chalice will come from progressing through the "story".

What is the difference between uncanny, lost and normal weapons? They have different gem slots.

What happens to my chalice dungeons when I start NG+? Nothing. They will remain as they were and you will lose nothing. Think of them are being completely separate from the main game.

I tried to use a chalice glyph but it says I don't meet the requirements, what do? You need to create and finish the dungeon type you are searching for first before you can join another. I don't think you need to finish Root dungeons to join random ones.

Ferr986

So, I'm kind of lost to where to go with my character stats-wise, and it would help some advice.

Right now I have 25 STR/15DEX/15ARC. I'm using the Ludwig sword and the Saw, but I would like to replace the Saw with the S
cythe

Thing is, that weapon scales better with DEX, so I'm kind of fucked already because I have more points in STR.

I was thinking on leveling ARC, considering Ludwig scales well with ARC (right?) and then put an ARC gem onto the S
cythe

That would make the weapons scale only with ARC, right?(That would make Ludwig scaling with STR and ARC and S
cythe
scaling from ARC?

Or should just level DEX? I know Ludwig scales well with DEX but those STR points seems wasted now...

Ok I have question about what carries over into NG+. I want to platinum and my main story is at the last area so I still need to knock out a few area ( Nightmare Frontier and Cainhurst). I realize weapons and items carry over into NG+ or do they?? But I'm really curious about chalices and chalice progress. Do your chalices and progress carry into NG+

Wow I post this and as I'm typing it this huge guide that answered my question.

So yes my chalices will go over....sweet

This has probably been discussed to death, but am I alone with being disapointed with boss type variety? I have beaten 7 bosses and the first 5 were way too similar for my liking. Mid size bosses lashing at you in rectangular rooms while you dodge left and right. I have only played Demon Souls but what I loved about that game is the amount of variety of bosses in all levels. So far only 2 interesting boss battles but I hope it gets better.

Overall I am enjoying the game a hell lot. However it does not feel like a generation leap to me exactly (outside some neat battle mechanics improvementas), but since there is a lack of Soul like games I appreciate it. It is also fun to invite people (never played Co Op in Demons) and see those blood points rake up like crazy while speeding up the game quite nicely (except for the terrible frame rate). That forest level is a drag so I am glad I was able to use helpers to allow me to run through all the items to pick.

Tried only one Chalice dungeon so far and it was a bit boring in design and looks outside occasional traps. Will look into adding Gaffers for co op later.

So I decided to explore the area surrounding the H
ypogean
G
aol
lamp. Got the
Tonitrus at one end of the main street and the Yahar'Gul set from the other, also opened two doors that connect the street with the second and top floors of the spiral staircase. The only path that seems to connect to somewhere else is an elevator I can't activate yet. Am I missing something obvious? If not I think I'll proceed from the Forbidden Grave lamp.

aravuus

I might be within range.

edit:

BRT using the gaf pass from the op.

edit2:

Make sure you restart your game if you had it on suspend mode, causes online not to work or something.

It's not summoning you. I tried 5 minutes with the pass on and a couple of minutes without the pass. This is fucking bullshit. Thanks for trying to help, but I'll give this another shot later.

AngryMoth

So to clarify, can you only do coop in chalice dungeons via the makeshift alter? I've tried summoning in the regular dungeons but never got anyone

Kyoufu

It's not summoning you. I tried 5 minutes with the pass on and a couple of minutes without the pass. This is fucking bullshit. Thanks for trying to help, but I'll give this another shot later.

Did you suspend/resume? That'd break it. Try rebooting your system.

Alright, I've never done something like this, but I'll try to keep it concise and to the point for anyone asking questions about chalice dungeons. If I miss anything important, and I probably will, let me know. Please don't laugh at my pitiful attempt.

Chalice Dungeons are optional content you can start doing as soon as you receive your first from the
Blood-starved Beast
. I would recommend starting them as soon as you can, because if you wait until end game, you will end up going through the earlier depth dungeons at a much higher level than intended.

Standard dungeons can be thought of as the "story" portion of the content. You will need to do these first to obtain better chalices and progress. These are pre-made dungeons by the devs that always have the same loot and bosses.

Root dungeons are randomized in layout, loot, and bosses. This is where you will find things such as uncanny weapons, runes, and powerful gems.

Sinister dungeons are a variant of root dungeons. These dungeons contain bell maidens that summon other players to invade your dungeon. IIRC, these must be purchased inside a standard dungeon of the same depth.

Defiled, well, I think there is only the one, and it is required that you do it while progressing. This cuts your HP in half, and is in my opinion, the most challenging.

In addition, the higher level chalices will require materials that you need to gather inside specific chalices. Eventually, you will be able to purchase most of these through the insight vendor. There are also additional rites that require rare materials found in chalice dungeons. These basically make the dungeon more difficult by spawning certain enemy types or buffing them in some sort of way. I believe the purpose is for better loot, because these enemies generally drop high level gems.

How do I start?

Simply go to any altar and choose to create a chalice. You will also be able to use other players codes at an altar to enter their chalice. You can remove these from your altars at any time, so you have plenty of room to store several favorites if you like sharing. Don't bother sharing standard dungeons, though, as these are the same for everyone.

When inside, your goal is to find lever on each layer to delve deeper. Sometimes in the hallway between layers, you will find a side dungeon. These side dungeons are generally more lucrative, and you will want to do them for the materials that you can find inside chests, especially in Root dungeons. Each layer ends with a boss, and the first 2 are usually pretty easy. Sometimes, the dungeons can go up to 4 layers, with 4 bosses.

Watch out for illusory walls. You will notice some walls seem out of place, and you can attack them to reveal the illusion. You can leave at any point, and your progress is always saved. You won't have to redo bosses, but enemies will respawn.

Why Do Chalice Dungeons?

1. Some of the best, and most challenging bosses, only appear in there, especially the final boss.
3. HIgh level gems.
4. High level runes.

Common Questions

How do I use the Makeshift Altar and what is it for? You need a key item to use it from I believe, Hintertomb Depth 3. It's for quick searching co-op and pvp in chalice dungeons, and also for finding a random dungeon for you to do.

What is depth? Depth is like a tier of difficulty. D1 is very easy, and D2 is not much more difficult. D3 ramps it up a bit to about level 60ish I'd say at the very least. D4 is about NG+ and D5 is a bit higher than that.

How do I get X Chalice? 3 of them are from the main story, and they drop from these bosses:
The first Hintertomb chalice is looted in Pthumeru Depth 2. Any other chalice will come from progressing through the "story".

What is the difference between uncanny, lost and normal weapons? They have different gem slots.

What happens to my chalice dungeons when I start NG+? Nothing. They will remain as they were and you will lose nothing. Think of them are being completely separate from the main game.

I tried to use a chalice glyph but it says I don't meet the requirements, what do? You need to create and finish the dungeon type you are searching for first before you can join another. I don't think you need to finish Root dungeons to join random ones.
Thank you very much for this. You explained it better than the game did!

How do you know when you have completed a dungeon? When does one end?

Cracklox

So I decided to explore the area surrounding the H
ypogean
G
aol
lamp. Got the
Tonitrus at one end of the main street and the Yahar'Gul set from the other, also opened two doors that connect the street with the second and top floors of the spiral staircase. The only path that seems to connect to somewhere else is an elevator I can't activate yet. Am I missing something obvious? If not I think I'll proceed from the Forbidden Grave lamp.

You are missing something

out the back of one of the rooms in the gaol, i think in the middle level, theres a hole in a wall that leads outside and on to a path you can drop down to. Follow it and see what happens....

HORRORSHØW

B]I tried to use a chalice glyph but it says I don't meet the requirements, what do?[/B] You need to create and finish the dungeon type you are searching for first before you can join another. I don't think you need to finish Root dungeons to join random ones.
nice write-up. very informative. still having trouble joining your dungeon with the lost chikage even though i've completed the dungeon on my own and have all required mats.

Very nice man answered alot of question before beating main story and not being far enough in chalices and not wanting to start over

DarkMehm

I'm at the
cannon
in the
Forbidden Woods
. How much longer till the shortcut? And where do I have to go for that?

ZangBa

Thank you very much for this. You explained it better than the game did!

How do you know when you have completed a dungeon? When does one end?

Either after defeating the 3rd or 4th layer boss. Generally, there are only 3 layers, but sometimes there will be 4. You will know if you can't go any deeper after beating the 3rd boss.

You are missing something

out the back of one of the rooms in the gaol, i think in the middle level, theres a hole in a wall that leads outside and on to a path you can drop down to. Follow it and see what happens....

That gets me to
Darkbeast Paarl
, right? I've been there :p

Typhares

So, I'm kind of lost to where to go with my character stats-wise, and it would help some advice.

Right now I have 25 STR/15DEX/15ARC. I'm using the Ludwig sword and the Saw, but I would like to replace the Saw with the S
cythe

Thing is, that weapon scales better with DEX, so I'm kind of fucked already because I have more points in STR.

I was thinking on leveling ARC, considering Ludwig scales well with ARC (right?) and then put an ARC gem onto the S
cythe

That would make the weapons scale only with ARC, right?(That would make Ludwig scaling with STR and ARC and S
cythe
scaling from ARC?

Or should just level DEX? I know Ludwig scales well with DEX but those STR points seems wasted now...

I'm in the same boat but 25 skill (cane user) and not sure what to do.
I know 25 is softcap so should I push more point there or get STR at 25 too for more versatility and use ludwig?
How good are the blades of mercy anyway?

To answer one of your question ludwig only scale with ARC if you put a gem that transforms all its damage into ARC damage, then it loses its scaling from STR and SKL.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Chalice FAQ above is great

ZangBa

Grimløck;158234131 said:
nice write-up. very informative. still having trouble joining your dungeon with the lost chikage even though i've completed the dungeon on my own and have all required mats.

Does it say specifically that you don't meet the requirements?

Ethelwulf

Blood-starved Beast

How do I start?

Why Do Chalice Dungeons?

3. HIgh level gems.
4. High level runes.

Common Questions

Many many thanks for sharing this! I was having some difficulties understanding what they were, but this clears a lot of things.

KxoZz

So is there anywhere I can go after R
om
but before the U
nseen
V
illage
? The enemies there are kicking my ass..

AngryMoth

So the music in this game is pretty amazing, what's everybody's favourite track?

There's a lot of great ones, F
ather
G
ascoigne
and the final boss
Gehrnam
are close runners up but for me It's gotta be the one from the
Vicar
A
melia/SPOILER] fight. Absolutely god tier.

.Each one has 3 levels, each with a boss that I believe are unique to the dungeons. After 3 levels you lantern out

Either after defeating the 3rd or 4th layer boss. Generally, there are only 3 layers, but sometimes there will be 4. You will know if you can't go any deeper after beating the 3rd boss.

Thanks both.

Chalice FAQ above is great

He should make it a separate thread for chalices for sure. Really informative.

NIce! While we're at it, Let me call attention, once again, to my own version of this:

So, You're Going To Start Chalicing (item name and location spoilers).

Things to know:

Why should I do Chalice Dungeons?
Chalice dungeons provide unique game experiences. There are multiple unique bosses inside chalice dungeons. I have fought at least 7 unique bosses in chalice dungeons that don't appear in the main game, and I know that there are more bosses I haven't seen. Chalice dungons also provide the chance to get unique weapon forms which have different blood gem slots. I know of at least 1 weapon that is entirely unique to the chalice dungeon and can't be found elsewhere at all. Chalice Dungeons are also where the very best blood gems are found. There also may or may not be special Caryll runes found in them. Finally, they provide endless new gameplay, including new traps, enemy locations and an endless array of randomized new dungeon.

Where do I find Chalices?
There are four basic types of chalice and one special type:
Pthumeru Chalice: Drops off the boss of Old Yarnham
Hintertomb Chalice: Drops in the second layer of the Central Pthumeru Chalice
Ailing Loran Chalice: Drops off of the boss of the Nightmare Frontier.
Great Isz Chalice: Defeat the boss at the Altar of Despair.

These 4 basic chalice types are found as items. Additional chalices of these types that make deeper dungeons are found inside the basic chalice dungeons. For example: The Central Pthumeru Chalice spawns a new dungeon in the Pthumeru tileset. The Central Pthumeru Chalice is a reward found in the Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon.

Short Root Ritual Chalice: allows you to use the makeshift altar. This is designed for co-op. To find it, you must complete the Lower Hintertomb dungeon. It can also be found in some Pthumeru root chalices, and, I assume, In other root chalices. Lower Hintertomb seems to be a guaranteed drop, off of the boss of layer 3.

Are all Chalice Dungeons random?
No. The majority of chalice dungeons are preformed and will have the same layout for everybody. Any chalice that has the name "root" in its title will be randomly generated.

Making a dungeon
To make a chalice dungeon, walk up to one of headstone to the left of the doll in the hunter's dream. To actually spawn a dungeon you will need to have a chalice in your possession and some materials. Making the dungeon consumes some amount of blood echoes and whatever materials the chalice requires,Early on it's merely a bit of ritual blood, but more difficult chalice get more extravagant in their requirements. Most chalice materials are found as rewards in other chalice dungeons. For example: A dungeon depth 2 will likely drop "ritual blood (3)"

The Makeshift Altar is for Co-op
The Makeshift Altar is for Co-op. It allows you to join someone in their dungeon without making your own. (The following is stolen from reddit:) You both set your password. One of you enters a dungeon and uses the Beckoning Bell. The other searches for co-op at the Makeshift Altar to join him.

What is Depth
Depth is a measure of enemy difficulty in a chalice dungeon. Depth 1 could be tackled by any character, as long as they take care. However, difficulty jumps up quickly. My level 90 character is always at risk of death in a depth 4 dungeon, and I died multiple times in depth 3 dungeons. Be warned.

What are "Layers?"
Layers are levels within a chalice dungeon. Each layer will have a single boss behind a locked door. somewhere within the dungeon is a switch which unlocks the door.

Fetid Offering? Rotted Offering
Some of this is still pretty unknown. Performing a fetid offering consumes extra reagents when making the dungeon and is said to increase the chalice difficulty while also improving the item drops. Please PM me if you know more.

Cursed Dungeons
Cursed dungeons have a greater chance to give you cursed bloodgem drops. In a cursed dungeon you have half-HP. Cursed Bloodgems are stronger than normal gems, but they have some kind of drawback attached. for example, +15% attack, -4% attack vs. beasts.

Why are the Enemies Endless?[/B}
Bum rush bell maidens: Bell maidens can completely destroy you because they spawn endless lines of powered-up monsters. Kill 2 or 3 red mobs and then immediately rush and kill the maiden while they respawn. When the maiden is dead the enemies de-spawn.

TIPS
Where to grind for echoes: If I am having a particularly tough time, I may need to restock my bullets and vials. I recommend going to the Nightmare of Mensis: mid tier. It takes 3 or 4 minutes tops to get almost 60,000 echoes. Just kill the first 3 shadow enemies, backstab the pig to death and then run past the 2 pigs and 4 shadows. The pigs and shadows will fight each other and then you can clean up the rest. Easy.

Keep leveling: I have a character dedicated

Shining Coins! USE THESE TO MARK WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN. Some Chalice dungeons can spiral in on themselves Shining Coins can help you keep better track of where you have searched. I drop them at door jambs, on the side of the door that I came from.

There are often multiple doors off the main hall in each layer. Some side doors of dungeons will be found behind the locked door but before the boss. Keep your eyes peeled. You can miss rooms full of treasure chests if you don't. I missed a treasure chest containing an extra chalice because I failed to see a side door.

Parry Bosses: many of the dungeon bosses are hard hard hard, but they can be parried. This is an invaluable tactic in controling the fights.

Complete side doors one at a time: Systematically completing one entrance to a layer can make it easier to continue your run if you die. Once you have explored an entire entrance (assuming they don't link up, which is often but not always the case.) you can move on to the next one. Haphazard exploration can lead to missed treasure.

Carry a fire weapon as your second weapon. Some enemies resist physical and a fire weapon can be a life saver.

Hug a wall: In a complicated maze of corridors, consider always hugging the right/left wall, to ensure you get to every room in the wing.

You don't have to kill everything. Seriously, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. run past some stuff, especially if it's big, slow and won't follow you too far.

I'm at the
cannon
in the
Forbidden Woods
. How much longer till the shortcut? And where do I have to go for that?
Very close.
get through that building/ windmill and cross the bridge. Watch out for the snake guys since they hurt a lot. Once you are across the bridge, go up the hill to your right. There should be a elevator that leads back to the lamp post

Kssio_Aug

Soft cap=diminishing return. After 25 points, each point give you less per stats than before. So if a weapon is scaled with B/B STR/SKL but you have 25 in STR, it is more effective to put them into SKL.
Hard cap=You are done, stop fucking putting more stats in it. END is capped at 40, rest are at 50.

So if all my skill get to 50, there's no point in levelling up the character anymore?

aravuus

sometime it requires patience. When i co-op with my friend, the time it takes to connect range from 10 sec-10mins

I suppose so. Personally I haven't had any problems summoning people before - even if I had suspended the game and then continued playing, so this is new to me.

Whatever, I'll keep summoning and play PoE in the meantime lol. Thank god I have my PC and PS4 next to each other.

Ferr986

I'm in the same boat but 25 skill (cane user) and not sure what to do.
I know 25 is softcap so should I push more point there or get STR at 25 too for more versatility and use ludwig?
How good are the blades of mercy anyway?

To answer one of your question ludwig only scale with ARC if you put a gem that transforms all its damage into ARC damage, then it loses its scaling from STR and SKL.

Really? Ludwig has already an ARC scaling, with DEX and STR/. Hell, at +10 has A ARC scaling.

Btw 25 is softcap but 50 is the hardcap. It's still a huge improvement going up to 50.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Last night I couldn't sleep til about 4 AM because I got so much energy playing the game. Last game that's been on my mind like this was DkS I. It's been an incredible experience so far. I'm at
the turret guy firing at me from above

My only annoyance is the long loading when you die. Should've upgraded my hdd

The kirkhammer's transformation combo is so satisfying.

Joyo

Neo Member

You only have to create the dungeon and not have to finish it if you want to use the glyph code. Maybe you have to finish the non-root version to use a glyph code for the root version?

I finished the first 3 non-root ones and wanted to help my friend clear them, he did the ritual and then used my glyph code and entered my dungeon so i could help him clear all 3 layers each time without having to redo them for me.
With the makeshift altar i could have just joined him in his dungeon for all 3 bosses right?

Cracklox

So for science, I've been testing the 'how many messengers around a lantern gives you an idea of how many players there are' thing.

From what I can deduce, with absolutely zero scientific evidence, it COULD indicate there are other players in the area, but I don't think its meant to tell you how many. I only ever see 4 groups of 2 or none. I've been warping around lanterns (so much loading and too much posting in the meantime :-/ ) and thats all I ever see. So its all 1 massive coincidence or I possibly misinterpreted the initial info. Can't find the post now...

Kssio_Aug

From is taking too long to release their patches. The game is pretty awesome, but the long loading times and some co-op problems can be a trully annoyance!

Typhares

Really? Ludwig has already an ARC scaling, with DEX and STR/. Hell, at +10 has A ARC scaling.

Btw 25 is softcap but 50 is the hardcap. It's still a huge improvement going up to 50.

Yes it's got an A scaling in ARC but what I meant is you won't see any benefit from that if the base damage is not ARC so using a fire gem for example.

Then it would ignore the scaling from STR and SKL, you can see that by putting a fire gem on a weapon all its damage becomes ARC.

So it's a good ARC weapon for sure but your points in STR and SKL outside of what was needed for using it won't be much use if that's the way you go.

I know about the softcap concept but I am unsure about what weapon I will use in the end. If the blades of mercy are good then going to 50 SKL seems like the way to go. If not a ludwig on 25/25 STR/SKL is probably better. Decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom