• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BloodBorne Sales Expectations : What are yours? What Could Sony's be ?

DieH@rd

Banned
Well, Sword Art and One Piece are very popular right now in Japan, I guess that when Media Create comes out, BB can climb up to #2 place.

Kudo

What day usually the sales threads come up? Really interested to see how Bloodborne has performed.

PS3 and PSV both have bigger install-base and SAO and OP are very big franchises so I'm actually surprised it sold more than the PS3 version of SAO and PSV version of Pirate Warriors 3

DieH@rd

Banned
What day usually the sales threads come up? Really interested to see how Bloodborne has performed.

PS3 and PSV both have bigger install-base and SAO and OP are very big franchises so I'm actually surprised it sold more than the PS3 version of SAO and PSV version of Pirate Warriors 3

Some UK sales for last week should be up today, Media Create will be in by midweek, NPD for US [sales up to April 4] will be out by middle of April. Best chance of seeing the complete picture of worldwide sales is press release by Sony or From, but nobody can guarantee that they will release such thing.

edit - Wow, BB is again #2 on US Amazon, and PS4 is #4 [Xbone #25]. I would presume the flow of sales is much slower now that US is sleeping.

Anecdotal evidence time. Stopped at Best Buy yesterday so my brother could use my 20% off Gamers Club discount to get this, but they were completely sold out. They had a couple in the back that were being held for online orders, but that was it. When I was picking mine up on Tuesday there was a pretty huge amount on the shelves, so seemed crazy to me.

One of the ones being held was a collectors edition. Worker said they had a couple more days to come pick it up then it would go out on the shelf. Might pop back in there later and see if I can get my hands on a CE.

hawk2025

UK

Bloodborne > 42k
DkS2 < 43k

Bloodborne at the very least sold the same amount as DkS2 on all platforms.

This is pretty great to hear :)

I think a good number of people are significantly overestimating the sales potential with all this talk of multi-million units, but if it can match or get close to DS2 in one platform, it will be a fantastic success.

Stampy

This is pretty great to hear :)

I think a good number of people are significantly overestimating the sales potential with all this talk of multi-million units, but if it can match or get close to DS2 in one platform, it will be a fantastic success.

I wouldn't say 2 million ww total lifetime is an overestimation. I guess we will wait and see.

UK

Bloodborne > 42k
DkS2 < 43k

Bloodborne at the very least sold the same amount as DkS2 on all platforms.

Hopefully this will help bring some of the expectations down to reality.

BB is doing great for its genre on a single platform. Its unfair to put crazy unrealistic expectations on it.

Flyinmunky

Im from UK and went digital but my mates have been trying to pick it up this week and every place is sold out, GAME, Tesco etc..

Im quite surprised as didnt think it was a game everyone would want.

Its awesome though.

hawk2025

BB is doing great for its genre on a single platform. Its unfair to put crazy unrealistic expectations on it.

It just seems weird.

Basically somehow people's expectations went from somewhat realistic ("hey, maybe it can do numbers somewhat near the multiplatform game that came before") to some crazy 3 million+ projections by waaay too many people.

Hopefully that can be tempered by the time we had some actual numbers. I hate hearing about how "disappointing" sales are when people built up some crazy expectations based on little to no evidence.

I think the range was

42k<Bloodborne<57k and 38k<DkS2<42k

At the very most, Bloodborne did 1.5 times DkS2 and if the upper bound pf DkS 2 was 375k than assuming US is like the UK at most Bloodborne did 562.5k.

March 23rd - March 29th sales list of Japanese retailer Tsutaya
http://store-tsutaya.tsite.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090&top=rank_sgame_all

1. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 – PS3
  2. Sword Art Online: Lost Song – PS Vita
  3. Bloodborne – PS4
  4. Sword Art Online: Lost Song – PS3
  5. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 – PS Vita
  6. Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest – 3DS
  7. Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 – PS3
  8. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 – PS4
  9. Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 – PS Vita
  10. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 – PS3
  11. Senran Kagura: Estival Versus – PS Vita
  12. Minecraft for PlayStation Vita – PS Vita
  13. Yakuza Zero – PS3
  14. Kuroko no Basket: Mirai e no Kizuna – 3DS
  15. Battlefield Hardline – PS4
  16. Disgaea 5 – PS4
  17. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth – PS Vita
  18. Battlefield Hardline – PS3
  19. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 – PS4
  20. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD – PS4

PlayStation dominated, but Bloodborne managed to snatch only #3. Could it be that Sony did not ship enough copies, or that PS4 install base is too small to ensure #1 position?

Vita games sure sell strong in Japan.

I think the range was

42k<Bloodborne<57k and 38k<DkS2<42k

At the very most, Bloodborne did 1.5 times DkS2 and if the upper bound pf DkS 2 was 375k than assuming US is like the UK at most Bloodborne did 562.5k.

That is extremely optimistic for US sales.

Regarding the 500k number.

Wait if we are talking Lifetime sales totally different story. I think I misread that

hawk2025

That is extremely optimistic for US sales.

Regarding the 500k number.

Wait if we are talking Lifetime sales totally different story. I think I misread that

Curious:

Hardline's price dropped hard and fast on best buy and amazon -- did it drop elsewhere as well? Is it more of a case of simply too much stock, despite still having rather strong sales?

Curious:

Hardline's price dropped hard and fast on best buy and amazon -- did it drop elsewhere as well? Is it more of a case of simply too much stock, despite still having rather strong sales?

Well as I said I don't give out numbers. I respect my employer and also the company's that make these games. I try my best to avoid anything too detailed as I want to help healthy discussion but not hurt or overstep my bounds.

Not sure whats going on with Best Buy or Amazon as I have no information on their business. I will say however from MY perspective Hardline certainly had solid sales. I know EA said they are expecting 1/3rd of BF4 sales from Hardline. What was BF4s first NPD? Can't remember off the top of my head

noobie

Banned
i was expecting Sony to announce something regarding BB on Monday. 1 million sales or something like. But we have not heard anything yet.. So may be TheShogun is correct. BB has done well but not AS WELL as people are expecting.

i was expecting Sony to announce something regarding BB on Monday. 1 million sales or something like. But we have not heard anything yet.. So may be TheShogun is correct. BB has done well but not AS WELL as people are expecting.

Sony didn't announce 1 million for TLOU as well, even though it achieved.

RexNovis

Banned
I know EA said they are expecting 1/3rd of BF4 sales from Hardline.

Can you point me to where this was said please? As far as I remember I hadnt heard EA say anything about anticipating a series sales decline. In fact, the only statement I could find from EA was the exact opposite

EA said on its Jan. 27 earnings call that it expects sales of Battlefield Hardline to carry it through the rest of the year. "People play and buy Battlefield products for a long time into the future," CFO Blake Jorgensen said on the call. "The momentum is going to build on it as more and more people start to play it and want their friends to be able to come in and play it."

Source

So on the contrary it seems they did not anticipate it selling less and in fact were counting on its sales to carry their earnings.

One question, do they include digital for these kinds of announcements? Cause I didn't contribute to physical numbers lol.

Every official announcement, yes.

In the case of TLOU though, it was only mentioned as a footnote at the conference where Shu said every retail first party game has sold more than a million copies.

KNACK2 CONFIRMED! /s

newjeruse

Bloodborne finished March as the 4th best selling videogame item on Amazon and is now ranked #15 overall in 2015 (4th best selling game behind Majoras Mask, GTA PS4, and FC4 PS4).

Oh #15 for the year, that's pretty impressive.

I think it'll do around 400k at the high end. The positive reception has helped the game for sure but I don't know... it's still a Souls game on one platform.

Top Bottom