• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BloodBorne Sales Expectations : What are yours? What Could Sony's be ?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just hope outsells The Order. Just so the message gets sent that we prefer gameplay over 'interactive movies'

I wouldn't like that to be the message of BB's inevitable success, there's enough room for both types of game when they are done properly.

I can't imagine a world in which Persona 5 does gangbusters in the US. I'm sure it will see moderate success, and perhaps be one of the better selling titles given that the PS4 is so big right now, but I honestly think you are overselling how well an anime-style, story-heavy, old-school RPG is going to do in the US. (Persona 4 is in my top 5 GoAT, but I'm pretty sure the appeal isn't there for most folks.) I think the same largely about how well Bloodborne is going to do, but at least the content is gritty and violent which will likely appeal to the game-buying audience.
I think it will be very successful, but won't sell as much as Bloodborne. There aren't many games like it on the system. People also went crazy over the last video for it. P4G was a great seller even on vita.

Funny story; for the very first time in her life, my cat just sat next to me, watching the screen while I played Bloodborne. She has literally never watched the screen while I played any other game.

Cat-hype for Bloodborne is real.
ha, that's pretty cute. I wish I had a kitty to accompany me playing games.

as someone else said, you shoulda snuck some pics

Sony needs to help Persona 5 get the same type of exposure later this year.
they should but the thing is it's a 3rd party exclusive and it doesn't have previous installments that would hype it up the same way demon and dark souls did for bloodborne. I do agree that their should be the same type of push for promotion though, regardless.

I'm sure the game is selling terrifically right now, but I think it will fall off pretty hard once all the Souls fans already have it, and after a lot of people get past the hype and realize that the game is pretty niche.

No way this game is a "system seller" outside of Souls fans. The people who are really into this series always seem to overestimate how widespread the appeal is.

I'm sure the game is selling terrifically right now, but I think it will fall off pretty hard once all the Souls fans already have it, and after a lot of people get past the hype and realize that the game is pretty niche.

No way this game is a "system seller" outside of Souls fans. The people who are really into this series always seem to overestimate how widespread the appeal is.

Any game that does a few million can't be tremendously niche. Dark Souls was one of the most unlikely success stories of last gen, and this has more hype/attention behind it so I think it will easily cruise past 2 million.

Based on the media create thread, the first shipment of Bloodborne will be sold out before the weekend is over. Plus every time I look at Live from PlayStation, there are about 2000 streams (some with over 1000 viewers). No matter what the final numbers are, this game is definitely a success.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can't imagine a world in which Persona 5 does gangbusters in the US. I'm sure it will see moderate success, and perhaps be one of the better selling titles given that the PS4 is so big right now, but I honestly think you are overselling how well an anime-style, story-heavy, old-school RPG is going to do in the US. (Persona 4 is in my top 5 GoAT, but I'm pretty sure the appeal isn't there for most folks.) I think the same largely about how well Bloodborne is going to do, but at least the content is gritty and violent which will likely appeal to the game-buying audience.

With the lack of exclusive content on PS4, i think as long as it gets good reviews and solid word of mouth(and SONY FUCKING MARKETS THIS SHIT), it could really surpass previous games performance by a pretty decent margin.

What i like about the dearth of titles on PS4 right now is that even though people are complaining, its getting them to try out games they otherwise normally would not have tried, and lo and behold they end up liking it.

Permanently A

B9JlAbSIEAANQhb.jpg:large

Its already mainstream bruh

Inuhanyou

Its even better because like the Souls games with BB, Persona already has a pretty decent fanbase and a well respected track record. Hell just the fact that there was such hype over a trailer got many people wondering what Persona was all about and whether or not they should try it. I don't think people are AS closed about this stuff as some may say

I just hope outsells The Order. Just so the message gets sent that we prefer gameplay over 'interactive movies'
At this point BB will likely demolish The Order in sales, the order is basically a very pretty game that's short and mediocre, my question is whether RAD will survive this and if so, whether they'll actually take away some lessons in terms of gameplay design.

But if it doesn't sell it then surely that shows that's not what people want? Your post seems a bit weird.

I think you meant 'I just hope outsells The Order. Just so the message gets sent that I prefer gameplay over 'interactive movies'.

I like this game more than The Order (which I liked, didn't love but liked) but surely you're just assuming that's what the majority of people want but if sales are the opposite then you're wrong. Right?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMO Twitch and YouTube were great at first because they gave hints and let players see a game before they bought it. But now I think it'll be a hassle. I wonder how many people will actually buy a game if there's 100k viewers watching streams? I can bet a large number actually has the game, but I wonder how many of those are just viewing the stream because the game got amazing scores? I'm sure it'll be fine, but odds are there are people out there gathering as much content possible to just sit there to talk to other people about the game. Which gives no one any money except the service hosting the content. I don't want to watch another person stream Bb because it's in their favor not mine. I can handle a game on my own outside of multiplayer tournaments.

When someone streams its like your friend owning a copy. You can go back there if they want to stream it again. The sole focus is on them. It isn't on the money going to developers. One sixty dollar game feeds ten or more people (even more). The traffic is good, but it has really been about F2P games with the 100k viewers. Bb gets that, but I wonder how many people are just logging back into their F2P game and that's it. There has to be a cost to all that going on. May not be with this game or the next, but sooner or later I think it will happen. You're giving too many people the opportunity to view a game's content to possibly completion. You're gonna offend those people either way. I think the strong hold is given and people aren't developing their own. They rely on other people now.

What I developed from playing games 20+ years ago is not what I'm getting from watching a stream. If anything I see more people catering to the crowd. I paid the money, so I don't need the pampering.

tcrunch

I didn't notice this thread until today. I wrote this a while ago about the other Souls games:

I was curious about past sales figures for the Souls series so I tried to figure them out:

• [rel. 10/6/2009] Demon's Souls - PS3 - 280,000 US [anticipated 75k] as of April 2010 (and an interesting side article about Sony's non-confidence in the game)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • [rel. 10/4/2011] Dark Souls - PS3/Xbox360 - 1,300,000 outside Japan as of December 2013
  • [rel. 8/24/2012] Dark Souls: PTD Edition - PC/PS3/Xbox360 - 555,000 outside Japan as of December 2013 (this is a little confusing because I did not know there was a PTD edition for PS3/Xbox360, on Amazon I can only find a PS3 from a UK source judging by the package, and I don't see a X360 version - nonetheless the article combines all these figures, PC-only sales were confirmed at 300k in April 2013 so I think it's safe to assume they made up most of the final 555k figure - I'm just wondering if they're counting in AOTA DLC individual sales for PS3/X360) (fake edit: another source)
  • [rel. 8/24/2012] Dark Souls: PTD Edition - PC - 1,386,606 worldwide as of December 2014
  • couldn't find any updated figures for PS3/Xbox360 in the same time period
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • [rel. 3/11/2014] Dark Souls II - PS3/Xbox360 - 1,200,000 outside Japan as of August 2014
  • [rel. 4/24/2014] Dark Souls II - PC - 964,266 Steam owners worldwide as of December 2014
  • [edit: SEE ABOVE this bullet point is a lie] couldn't find any figures for PC sales, there were 75,000 simultaneous players on Steam in the first month of release according to these guys
  • if you look at achievements for Steam it's likely that a lot of people who bought the game didn't get very far into it, the LGK trophy for example has only 43.7% of players owning it and Last Giant is at 68.2%

Erevador

Picked up the game tonight. I was really surprised to find the game totally sold out at my local Best Buy, and they only had one copy left at my Gamestop (which I snagged).

These local stores NEVER sell out. I think the numbers here are going to surprise a lot of people. The hardcore all have PS4's and have been salivating for a real game to sink their teeth into. This is that game.

trixx

Expecting sales to be quite high, cause I'm seeing a lot of people on my fb sharing feeds of their games. Plus this is one of the biggest ps4 releases this year.

Mrbob

Expecting sales to be quite high, cause I'm seeing a lot of people on my fb sharing feeds of their games. Plus this is one of the biggest ps4 releases this year.

For a console game it has a high number of watchers on Twitch. Still over 30K today.

This has been #1 ( in terms of games ) on Amazon for the past 10 days now. I haven't seen the best selling of 2015 update in a long ass time on amazon so not sure where it is there, but it was rising pretty fast until it stopped updating. Went from off the Top 100 to 50 within 2 days.

I have a good feeling this one will be 1 - 1.5 million WW at launch. With who knows how much additional over time.

Can't wait to see what they do with this game DLC wise.

KevinG

I bought it having no interest in it even a week ago.

I'd say others bought it based on not having much to play on PS4 (exclusive-wise).

Kill3r7

We'll get an idea on Monday when the PAL numbers drop. I'll stick with my initial prediction hoping for Infamous SS like numbers.

Inuhanyou

I'd say most of the casual crowd are buying it because its getting critical acclaim. People are looking for that blow away experience that isn't just the usual annual franchises you usually play i think.

That's why i expect P5 to do far better on PS4

Kudo

There is just so much hype around this game I can't wait to see the sales numbers, all of my friends on PSN are playing it too and lots of friends getting PS4 for this.
FromSoft.. How I love you, I haven't even finished the game yet and I wish they have some plans in the future for Bloodborne.

There have been a number of people mentioning that it's selling out at certain stores. It was even sold out at Amazon for a day or two. It makes me wonder if it's selling that well or if stores simply underestimated the demand that it would generate.

Picked up the game tonight. I was really surprised to find the game totally sold out at my local Best Buy, and they only had one copy left at my Gamestop (which I snagged).

These local stores NEVER sell out. I think the numbers here are going to surprise a lot of people. The hardcore all have PS4's and have been salivating for a real game to sink their teeth into. This is that game.

You don't know how many they shipped so that tells us nothing.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, that's funny. I actually know Moe (not personally, but through other forums) and talked to him this morning and he ended up buying it digitally. No one can resist the call of the blood.

good decision! I also bought it digital. If I had bought the blu ray, I have the feeling the blu ray would never have left the drive :D feels better that way..I can always start the game with one button

Top Bottom