• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters - Reviews Thread

destructoid:
By contrast the new Bloodborne DLC isn't nearly as good as it could have been, but it's more Bloodborne, which is going to be more than enough for most of you out there.

honestly, yeah, thats cool with me

TheFuzz

How steep is the difficulty spike against BsB and Amelia in NG+? I've got a NG and NG+ character both past Father G and am debating which one to level first so I can access the DLC.

Wagram

How steep is the difficulty spike against BsB and Amelia in NG+? I've got a NG and NG+ character both past Father G and am debating which one to level first so I can access the DLC.

I one shot every boss up to the DLC in NG+. The scaling in Bloodborne isn't nearly as close to what it is in Souls. If you remember what the bosses do you'll beat it quickly.

Zia

Can anyone answer this question:

Does anyone know if this has its own ending? Like, if I'm currently in the middle of NG++ and want to hop over and see all of this will I have to do the cloud save trick to keep playing my current run?

raven777

CUgjRPzUYAAxNY_.jpg:orig

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Destructoid gave a 7.5:

"While I'm glad I had an excuse to drop into the world of Yharnam once again, there's a part of me that feels disappointed that this will be the last, and only add-on for Bloodborne

So it's good but it's bad because it's the only add on for Bloodborne?
Doesn't make sense to me.

FYI the IGN video review seems to spoil the identity of one of the bosses they've shown in the trailers. Just a heads up for those who care.

TheFuzz

I one shot every boss up to the DLC in NG+. The scaling in Bloodborne isn't nearly as close to what it is in Souls. If you remember what the bosses do you'll beat it quickly.

Oh really? I thought Amelia and the other bosses were a nightmare. Ill probably stick with my NG+ if that's the case, love my Tonitrus with a blood rock and the Burial Blade.

Pif

Banned
Going blind.

I've just seen the announcement teaser and went on media blackout.

It's gonna be glorious :)

Sylas

destructoid: 5 hour experience, 7.5 out of 10.
ign: 15 hour experience, 8/10

Par for the course for a Souls-style game, really. It's all about how much you care about new weapons, your level going into it and how you play those games in general.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm convinced that Destructoid is wack

This is like the 5th game they gave a 7.5 to,

A game would have to be made by bungie, Kojima, platinum, Naughty Dog and DICE with the combined funding of Microsoft and Sony just to get a 8.0 rating on their site

Hanmik

Par for the course for a Souls-style game, really. It's all about how much you care about new weapons, your level going into it and how you play those games in general.

Normally I would say yes.. But every other outlet here says 10-20 hours. And none said they had seen all.. I have played for 10+ hours.. and still have stuff to see and find.

I'll be buying this tomorrow, but I'm pretty crap at Bloodborne and haven't played it in months. Anyone want to to co-op and do all the hard work for me?

Sylas

Normally I would say yes.. But every other outlet here says 10-20 hours. And none said they had seen all.. I have played for 10+ hours.. and still have stuff to see and find.

Actually, yeah. Re-reading the review, the fact that he says "complete" is kinda misleading. There's no way everything was completed in 5 hours on his very first playthrough unless he was massively overleveled and just wanted to blitz through the bosses.

Which still isn't really a complete playthrough, so.

Guys can we please not pile on "low" scoring reviews before you've even played the game yourself?

Do you realise how dumb that is? Let the reviewers be entitled to their opinion.

Eh, score be damned--it's the hour count that's a bit misleading when he says "complete" while you have most other reviews saying they've spent at least double the time with the content and haven't seen everything.

Luigiv

Guys can we please not pile on "low" scoring reviews before you've even played the game yourself?

Do you realise how dumb that is? Let the reviewers be entitled to their opinion.

Codiox

What does it mean "one shot"? You kill every boss with one shot only? If so, please tell me how.

Hanmik

Sorry I wasn't "piling" on anyone..

Just pointing out some strange stuff (IMO) in the review..

(And I have completed the DLC myself .. so..)

Neoweee

Yeah, basically. Exploration and the respawn mechanic, as well as dependency on your build, upgrades, and gems, will clearly lead to wildly divergent counts.

( and that's okay )

DukeBobby

Great scores.

I'm expecting this to be just as good as The Witcher 3's Hearts of Stone expansion, if not better. Man, what a great couple of months for DLC.

Nameless

I got pretty damn good at Bloodborne but it's been a while since I've gone deep into the PVE side of things. Fully expecting to get rekt, hopefully there's some new weapons available from the start; it would be a shame to lose nearly a million vials fighting mobs/the first boss.

Vire

"In fact, a lot of layouts are straight-up reused, not only from an aesthetic standpoint, but in a literal sense. The grand cathedral steps are recreated and only slightly altered, and roughly half of the DLC feels like it could have just been an extension of Yharnam. "

This is actually super disappointing... :/

Wagram

"In fact, a lot of layouts are straight-up reused, not only from an aesthetic standpoint, but in a literal sense. The grand cathedral steps are recreated and only slightly altered, and roughly half of the DLC feels like it could have just been an extension of Yharnam. "

This is actually super disappointing... :/

This is actually a problem I sort of had with the main game. The art of the world in Bloodborne is beautiful, but there's not a whole hell of a lot of difference between areas like Central, Old, Cathedral Ward, etc. It looks so damn similar, whereas in Souls you feel like you're in a different place. I felt Forbidden woods and Hemick Channel Lane were really samey as well.

GRIP

When the hell did Pittsburgh Post Gazette start reviewing video games?

Guess I should check out the entertainment section more.

Wagram

That is not what that means :D First try = first attempt, one shot = literally one hit to kill the enemy.

That's your own interpretation. I've always used that phrase to equate one attempt, and many other people do as well. You can't one hit kill any boss from full HP, why would you even assume that?

About the destructoid DLC... ( sorry, bad english coming, im french lol)

It will sound weird, but i'm pretty sure that Reviewer ( Chris Carter i think ) do this just for clickbait and/or dont fully play the game he passed review. Why ?

He did the same score for Fallout 4. With the same style of review ( just generic info )

Both Review don't have "substance", like a moment of gameplay he had, that could explain a point. Like, no "i like/hate this weapon, because..." He just said like : "the game have 10 weapons"

Both were release in the "first" with youtube video next to them (2 article instead of 1 lol)

Both review could be written without play the game. Like big generality that everybody know.

Like with the Fallout revie, he never talk about Gun/Armor Mods ( Big part of the game, but you need a "level/perk" for it ) and never about settlement.

When i asked him why, he told me somethings like "Why are you asking this?"

THEN, he release a video for showing up the perk. There we see he's level 23 and dont have any "mod" perk. That could explain why he didnt bother with it in his review.

So i point that out and he said : I just started a new game to show off the perk. Relax!

But we saw he was lvl 23 xD. Lol then he deleted his response. And never explains why the omission of gun perk and settlement ( big part of the game again )

SO, all this "wall-text" make me think this guy :

1- Dont have time to finish game ( or play long session ), then he make up a review base on his "quick playtime".
or 2- He do it on purpose, just as a "clickbait". More click = Money/visibilituy
or 3- He just dont like these game and don't bother to play them really. But still do review for his "job" lol.

Anyways, it's weird as hell. Kotaku have a "preview review" and the guy is saying : " i cant review it because i didnt finish it, but i love this weapons, i had this fight, look at this boss, this weapon scale with strg !!!!..." and etc. His preview is more credible and have more substance/fact/"""gameplay story""" then the Destructoid one lol.

If you find me weird, lol go read the Fallout 4 and BB dlc review from them. You will see the similarity and the "non-substance" i'm talking lol.

Fallout 4, it almost look like his game was so bugged he could'nt play it. But still no "substance" at all.

Damn ill be fucked trying this on ng+. I can't beat Amelia at that level it's way too hard.

I wish I could take my high level character back to NG.

SxP

That is not what that means :D First try = first attempt, one shot = literally one hit to kill the enemy.

This has been a page long discussion in the OT of Bloodborne at release as well. First time I've ever seen "one shot" used to mean one attempt.

silva1991

From like to reuse assets. assets and textures in the first area in Artorias of the abyss were straight from Darkroot Garden. and the assets in the chasm of the abyss are straight from the tomb of giants as well. no problem for me.

Luigiv

Sorry I wasn't "piling" on anyone..

Just pointing out some strange stuff (IMO) in the review..

(And I have completed the DLC myself .. so..)
No you're fine. You raise a fair and valid argument. I'm more targetting my request at those who haven't played it yet but still somehow feel the need to attack the review.

Top Bottom