• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters - Reviews Thread

Shari

To oneshot: To kill in one shot.
To have one shot at X: To have one attempt at X.

In real life situations you would use "one shot" while in gaming that is referred to as "first try".

That's your own interpretation. I've always used that phrase to equate one attempt, and many other people do as well. You can't one hit kill any boss from full HP, why would you even assume that?

This is totally wrong, you can oneshot bosses, you just have to be very specific in terms of build and preparation.

zsynqx

Or you could wait until you actually play the game and see if you disagree or not.

Let's not turn this into the Uncharted 3 thread please, that was a bad look for a lot of gaffers.

True, although a couple of people in here complaining about it have actually completed the dlc. I am not one of them though so I will keep my mouth shut. :L

level1

Or you could wait until you actually play the game and see if you disagree or not.

Let's not turn this into the Uncharted 3 thread please, that was a bad look for a lot of gaffers.

He's not wrong though. It's quite uninformative, incoherent and gives straight up incorrect information. I'll judge old hunters for myself, but even speaking from a detached standpoint this is not a good review.

Fat4all

Banned

Took the words out of my mouth.

Let's not crucify a reviewer for giving a score that isn't even that bad. Opinions are opinions, and if someone came out and called it unplayable and gave it a 1/10 I'd take umbrage with their reasoning, but I wouldn't go all conspiracy theory on them.

Still weird to me. Just the way the review is written... I dunno, had the same feeling that i had for fallout 4 like i said.

Like i said too lol, the kotaku "preview" is much more "meaty" with some "gameplay story". Destruct is more "i could just read about the game, and write this. And no "gameplay story".

Maybe i wasn't clear xD. But anyway.

I'm more about the word/writing. Then the score. But maybe it's just me, just found weird how he write these 2 review.

Edit : I'm more talking about the written review then the score, but maybe i cannot explain it well lol. It was too "generic" without "gameplay" story that could explain his thinking. Good or bad. + the 5 Hours make me septical as hell lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's your own interpretation. I've always used that phrase to equate one attempt, and many other people do as well. You can't one hit kill any boss from full HP, why would you even assume that?

One-shotting has been MMO terminology for what, decades now? One shot means a one hit kill, always has been.
And for what it's worth, some bosses in Bloodborne are able to be one-shot if you prepare yourself correctly.

Zornack

One-shotting has been MMO terminology for what, decades now? One shot means a one hit kill, always has been.
And for what it's worth, some bosses in Bloodborne are able to be one-shot if you prepare yourself correctly.

One shot can mean both. In a raiding scenario where killing a boss in one shit is literally impossible it is often used to refer to beating an encounter in one attempt. In the exact same situation it can also describe being killed by one hit. A tank can get one shot but the group still one shots the boss.

Yes, was waiting for this one. Rich Stanton is my go-to-guy for souls related stuff.

Yeah, he's a great writer period.

The Old Hunters is the only DLC Bloodborne is likely to get, and the decision to combine two releases into this one was a great call, because this is the kind of depth and richness you dream of in an expansion. The locations and, especially, the boss fights here maintain Bloodborne's incredibly high standards, and manage that magical trick of somehow enhancing the original world at the same time. The best pieces of DLC I have played are Artorias of the Abyss and, now, The Old Hunters - From Software's approach to additional content is a lesson to every other developer out there. This may be the end for Bloodborne. But what a game, and what a way to go.

HYPE!

Metro Gamecentral rather liked it:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/23/bloodborne-the-old-hunters-dlc-review-game-of-the-year-5520770/

In Short: An excellent expansion to what is not only the best game of the year, but one of the best action games of all-time.

Pros: Level design is as wonderfully complicated as ever, with the new enemies, bosses, and weapons all being up to the same high standards. A substantial and lengthy challenge.

Cons: The amount of reused locations at the begin may irritate some, and not all the boss battles are as unique as they should be.

Score: 9/10

The Souls series is one of the rare game series, where I don't care about review scores at all. The stuff get bought day 1 no matter what.

Tony91

4news.it (Italian) 90/100: http://www.4news.it/24335-recensione-bloodborne-the-old-hunters.html

"Bloodborne: The Old Hunters is an excellently crafted add-on for the original Bloodborne, with which shares the same graphical style and environment, apart from the whole technical sector. The cheerful amount of content is stunning if compared to the price of the expansion, which makes it a must-have for the franchise lovers and a great opportunity for those who have not experienced it yet. The Game of the Year Edition will also comes a day later than it's digital release and will contain both the original game and this expansion; an unvaluable product for every gamer out in the wild and a truly good incentive for those who are yet on the line with the purchase of a PS4"

myco666

Just read that Destructoid review. I think that saying the DLC has bunch reused stuff is kind of lying. One of the three areas is reused but even that is very very heavily modified to feel fresh. Also saying that it feels like it could have been part of the original release is negative thing (unless I am totally reading it wrong) sounds weird to me but everyone has their opinion so.

This has been a page long discussion in the OT of Bloodborne at release as well. First time I've ever seen "one shot" used to mean one attempt.

It's a term that is generally used in MMOs, so it's not surprising that people are confused when it's being used elsewhere. People will often refer to "one shotting" a boss in an MMO raid when their group clears the boss on the first attempt.

DarkFlame

Banned
Just read that Destructoid review. I think that saying the DLC has bunch reused stuff is kind of lying. One of the three areas is reused but even that is very very heavily modified to feel fresh. Also saying that it feels like it could have been part of the original release is negative thing (unless I am totally reading it wrong) sounds weird to me but everyone has their opinion so.

I think he implies that they should have included it in the first place and not sell it as DLC so that's why he thinks it's negative.

Anyway,we can discuss if it's cheap DLC tactics,but aside from if it's cut content or not the DLC is awesome,that's what everyone said in their review

myco666

I think he implies that they should have included it in the first place and not sell it as DLC so that's why he thinks it's negative.

Anyway,we can discuss if it's cheap DLC tactics,but aside from if it's cut content or not the DLC is awesome,that's what everyone said in their review

Well wouldn't you always want to include all DLC in the initial release? It strikes as weird complaint to me that's all. But yeah as most reviews have stated the content is more Bloodborne meaning it is great (or bad if you didn't like Bloodborne). I really enjoyed the ride myself and think it is maybe even the best content in the entire game. Can't wait to get back to play it.

DarkFlame

Banned
Well wouldn't you always want to include all DLC in the initial release? It strikes as weird complaint to me that's all. But yeah as most reviews have stated the content is more Bloodborne meaning it is great (or bad if you didn't like Bloodborne). I really enjoyed the ride myself and think it is maybe even the best content in the entire game. Can't wait to get back to play it.

Ofc not,because from a financial standpoint dishing out part of the game as DLC is more profitable.

Anyway,he should not have it in the negatives,just as a comment.Regardless of the DLC being cut content or not,it doesn't affect the quality of the DLC itself.It just affects whether or not the devs are greedy bastards :p

meanwhile at destructoid
Wine%20and%20cheese%20pairing.jpg

image.php

thems big words

once im done binging on Fallout 4 and Battlefront, this will be my new dig for a week at least, and then its on to Witcher 3 and Until Dawn.

Aw yiss

Top Bottom