• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Apple Planning iPhone With Both Face ID and Touch ID Under Display by 2021

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple is developing an in-display fingerprint scanner for future iPhones, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu.

The report claims Apple is considering including the in-display scanner in a 2020 iPhone if testing is successful, but adds there is a possibility the tech will not be ready until 2021. This lines up with a prediction from noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who expects an iPhone with both Face ID and in-display Touch ID in 2021.

The upcoming fingerprint reader would be embedded in the display, enabling users to unlock the iPhone by placing a finger almost anywhere on the screen, and it would complement rather than replace the existing Face ID system. This would give users the convenience of two biometric authentication options.

Face ID and Touch ID each have their weaknesses, such as Face ID not working well when an iPhone is laying flat on a table, or Touch ID not playing friendly with wet fingers. With both systems, users would have the best of both worlds, using the authentication option that is better in a given situation.

Several major Android smartphone makers have adopted in-screen fingerprint scanners over the past few years, including Samsung.

Apple is also working on its first low-cost iPhone since the iPhone SE, which could launch as early as the first half of 2020, according to Bloomberg. As Nikkei reported earlier this week, the device is said to look similar to the iPhone 8, including a 4.7-inch display and a Touch ID home button.

The iPhone 8 currently retails for $599 and up, while the iPhone SE started at $399, but was later discounted to $349.

2021? Jeez apple.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This rumor has existed sense like 2017, and keeps being pushed back a year. Just s few weeks ago reports were saying this coming iPhone would have both.

iconmaster

Banned
I’m a big fan of Touch ID and was deeply skeptical of Face ID for a long time. Eventually I upgraded from my iPhone 6 and that meant moving to Face ID.

In fact both mechanisms work fine, and as the article says there are situations where one or the other becomes awkward. Having the either/or option could make unlocking almost perfectly natural – and I suppose the really paranoid could set a preference to always require both at the same time.

CyberPanda

Banned
This rumor has existed sense like 2017, and keeps being pushed back a year. Just s few weeks ago reports were saying this coming iPhone would have both.
I'm sure it'll come this time.
I’m a big fan of Touch ID and was deeply skeptical of Face ID for a long time. Eventually I upgraded from my iPhone 6 and that meant moving to Face ID.

In fact both mechanisms work fine, and as the article says there are situations where one or the other becomes awkward. Having the either/or option could make unlocking almost perfectly natural – and I suppose the really paranoid could set a preference to always require both at the same time.
Agreed.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What's up with just using a pin code?

What are you asking? thats available still, its just annoying and time consuming, especially as many companies started forcing 6 and 8 digit pins comprised of letters and numbers now for security (if you use your phonee for work too). Imagine having to do that everytime you wanted to do anything with your phone, as opposed to just instantly unlocking it with your face or finger.

Greedings

So novel. Such an ingenious design choice.

Seriously who the fuck cares? Pin codes are faster and more reliable than this junk. Apple hasn’t come up with anything exciting in years. Just constant boring iterations that mean nothing.

Mistake

I’ve been waiting for a good reason to upgrade from my iphone6S, and so far they haven’t given one besides “it’s faster now!” Also, screw apple, because they obviously do planned obsolesce. My battery wasn’t shit before ios11. I even replaced it with the same results.

Thaedolus

What's up with just using a pin code?

“You there! Fill it up with petroleum distillate and re-vulcanize my tires, post-haste!”

Personally I prefer phones that only unlock when the proper punch card inputs are received, but I guess I’m just old fashioned.

Top Bottom