• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg article on Switch 'Pro' - launches holiday '21, expect better uptake than PS4 Pro

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
  • The performance of this revision is expected to be in line with the PS4 PRO and XBOX One X.
lying love and hip hop GIF by VH1

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And last year Jetson Xavier NX was release with 1Tf FP32 64 Tensor cores 384 volta cores at 399USD, this is basically a cheaper Jetson AGX and interesdly it has NX in the name, which is the Nintendo Switch code name.

Isn't that way too expensive? (even considering discounts, etc.)

Last edited:
All these games in 4K is why I enthusiastically purchased full price Wii U reissues. Well that and I never played the games in the first place.

But imagine... Super Mario 3D World in 4k! BOTW in 4k! Captain Toad in 4k!

These are games where the technical effort is kept to a minimum and the graphics enhanced by top notch art design. They will look sooo good in 4k. Hard to imagine it will not all be 60fps as well, given the promised specs.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
See you at the pre-order battlefields.

Yep this whole thread is thoughtful stat analysis but I’m already dreading preordering this thing.

That they expect sales to remain flat or rise only a little tells me that supply is going to be a son of a bitch for this thing. By contrast, I was able to walk in and get a New 3DS XL shortly after release.

Fake

The performance of this revision is expected to be in line with the PS4 PRO and XBOX One X.

Thats a pretty big jump. Hard to believe, if is true so the current Switch will be kicked years behind. Don't make much sense, besides between all the manufactures the Nvidia is the more greedy, IDK what Nvidia would ask for Nintendo, but will be a hell expensive.

IMO is more easy to believe Switch PRO will be a base PS4/Xbox One. Both between 1080p/900p while docked and mobile will be native 720p. All games while mobile will be native 720p with an OLED bigger screen.

A base PS4 Switch witch DLSS would be perfect.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Zelda being a launch candidate is exciting news. But which Zelda game though????
skyward sword HD delay confirmed, lol

Edit- I still think Nintendo should have a dual screen option like the WiiU. I don't know if it's even possible but that would make the Switch an absolute beast in terms of gameplay options.

Last edited:

NickFire

Thats a pretty big jump. Hard to believe, if is true so the current Switch will be kicked years behind. Don't make much sense, besides between all the manufactures the Nvidia is the more greedy, IDK what Nvidia would ask for Nintendo, but will be a hell expensive.

IMO is more easy to believe Switch PRO will be a base PS4/Xbox One. Both between 1080p/900p while docked and mobile will be native 720p. All games while mobile will be native 720p with an OLED bigger screen.

A base PS4 Switch witch DLSS would be perfect.
I find it incredibly hard to believe those are the likely final spec ranges. If they mean a performance increase comparable to what each provided over the base platforms, maybe.

RAIDEN1

I'm sure Nintendo know what they are doing, remember the GameBoy was the least powerful compared to the Game Gear and the Lynx, and we all know what happened there!

Derktron

Banned
I find that hard to believe on the Switch being almost on par with the PS4 Pro/One X. Unless the they finally use the Patent SCD they made back in 2017 where the dock would output the higher performance. Other than that I don’t see it. I could see it on par with the PS4 or Xbox One.

lachesis

This is Nintendo we are talking about - so I think it would be something more of 1.5 TFS at the most, perhaps with DLSS or something gimped down version of it.... unless they are going for 100% docked mode.

I am looking forward to it though. Most likely day1 for me.

*Rubs hands excitedly*

I held off on buying a Switch cause I was salty that BOTW lost Wii U features to give parity to the Switch version.

If this launches with BOTW2 I am there day one (if I can get one!).

I'm new to Nintendo. Do any of their previous new hardware consoles have any issues within the first year? Still holding off for a newer sku PS5 fixing the coil whine, blu-ray disc noise, and controller trigger issues.

ultrazilla

Source (requires terminal): https://blinks.bloomberg.com/news/stories/QQ3195T1UM16

Redditor has kindly provided a TL-DR

• They reiterate a holiday launch in 2021
  • Hardware sales will either remain flat or grow slightly due to revision.
  • Higher expectations are placed on the Switch Pro (that's what it's referred to in the article) than the PS4 PRO which sold 2M launch window.
  • Launch quarter (Sep-Dec) could reach up to 12M units sold.
  • According to the hardware forecast they speculate that the MSRP could be higher for the revision upwards of 20%
  • Zelda is a strong launch game candidate with several round out titles to accompany it.
  • The performance of this revision is expected to be in line with the PS4 PRO and XBOX One X.

Forget all the talk of the "2" revisions speculation. IMO that's bullshit.

This will be ONE new Switch model-the "Nintendo Switch Pro", "Super Nintendo Switch", "Nintendo Switch Extreme", "Nintendo Switch Up" or whatever they end up calling it.

Nintendo needs to focus on getting third party support to continue developing for the Switch, especially with PS5/Xbox Series X being out.

Nintendo needs a system stat that will be able to run those ports so the Switch doesn't start nose-diving in sales and gets left behind in terms of ports. I think they've learned
from their massive Wii-Wii-U mistake and don't plan on screwing that up again.

*IF* the new SOC has DLSS(I'm convinced it does), then the system being in line with PS4 Pro/Xbox One X levels of performance is entirely possible(IN DOCKED MODE)
The dock will obviously have 2.1 HDMI and I'd wager it will also contain a bigger fan/multiple fans for increased cooling.

As for the handheld aspect-it obviously *won't* have the docked performance because of possible over-heating issues. They could go with the magnesium alloy case(shell) which
was rumored awhile back which would also help with heat dissipation.

I'm going with Nintendo using a custom Nvidia "Orin" basically with the specs "halved" for the Switch: SOC having 6 arm Hercules CPU cores instead of 12, etc.
I definitely can see Nintendo putting more ram in for developers. I think we'll see 6-8 gig here. I think they'll keep memory to 32 gigs (expandable) like the OG version.

Specs: Custom "Orin" SOC(specs roughly halved and containing Mariko backwards compatibility) with DLSS
6-8 gig ram for developers
The 7 inch Samsung OLED screen
New dock with 2.1 hdmi and bigger fan(s)
Magnesium alloy case
$399

Finally I think we'll finally see Grand Theft Auto 5 Definitive Edition, Madden, Call of Duty and Battlefield franchises finally come to the new model. "Exclusive games" the OG couldn't run well.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This does not seem like any other rumor. This has been floating for a couple of months and the timing makes sense. I'll be surprised not to see this release in the holiday season with a Zelda game.

I would have liked to see a 1080p panel, but in handheld mode it's not big deal if it really increases performance. I'm pretty excited for this.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
XBOX One X performance on a buffed Switch in 2021 that isn't sold as a Switch 2? Sounds like bullshit.

Maybe it sorta will be. Like they'll be clear this is the next thing for the Switch moving forward but it won't be a Switch 2 in name.

Who knows. This really does sound too good to be true. I want so badly for it to be true.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
At this point unless companies take some measures (no idea what), any popular consumer product is and will always be scooped up by scalper bots.

Look at what happened to concert and sports tickets.
Happens to everything, even books. It's an unfortunate reality now. I'm a huge older/rare book collector and there is always one of a series that is impossible to get due to a few grabbing them and marking prices way up. It's infuriating.

Saber

Gold Member
Hard to buy. I aways believed that Nintendo never cared for such things,let alone create aconsole at the same level as PS4 when this isn't really their target.
I still keep my guess. Its not a Pro, but a console only version(like Lite is aways undocked), with a better resolution to make up for not being a portable.

Durask

Happens to everything, even books. It's an unfortunate reality now. I'm a huge older/rare book collector and there is always one of a series that is impossible to get due to a few grabbing them and marking prices way up. It's infuriating.

I tried for 2 weeks to get a RTX card -mostly out of curiosity. Set notifications on my phone - pointless, by the time I can click on a link everything is sold out.
Don't really need it so I am not going to resort to extreme measures such as camping out in front of MicroCenter but if I were building a computer for gaming I'd be super frustrated. You literally cannot build a gaming PC because there are no video cards, period.

From now on I think the new reality is "release date for new hot product' + 1 year.

tkscz

Switch is a 700GFLOPS on desktop mode, and almost half on portable mode. And those numbers really are using 16 bit calculations, so the really to compare with other consoles you would get even the half of that.

No way they get 2-3TFLOPS.

Actually they could. Remember the Switch's Tegra X1 is based on tech from 2014. It uses the same Maxwell CUDA cores that are used in the Geforce 700 line (essentially equal to a Geforce GT 750). It only has 256 CUDA cores that is underclocked at 460MHz at the HIGHEST. If rumors are true then nVidia has just stopped producing those Maxwell chips.

The newest version of the Tegra line, Orin, is using 7nm Ampere chips, rumored to have 2048 CUDA cores (yes I know it's not MEANT to run games but it works as an example for what can be placed onto a low powered mobile device). Running at just 800MHz, it would put out 3.2TFs. Not saying this is on the table, just pointing out it's possible.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Xbox One X?! That's horse shit. I believe PS4 level of hardware, maybe just a bit better, bot hell no XOX

RespawnX

God, how they choose their language intentionally squishy. There won't be any portable console with Xbox One X nor PlayStation 4 Pro level of performance. Seems the author of the article has zero technical knowledge, so he couldn't interpret his source properly.

Most likely they meant a performance increase in the ratio of Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. So about 2-3 times more performance. That seems realistic considering the ~500 teraflops of Nintendo Switch. Would mean 1-1.5 Tflops in the end.

That is the performance that the iPad Pro achieved 2 1/2 years ago. However, Apple is technologically far ahead of the competition. In comparison, the current M1 chip of the MacBook has around 2.3 Tflops and a lot of AI computing power. Snapdragon and Nvidia are far away from that. However, paired with DLSS features and Tensor cores we would get a really powerful handheld. But it doubt it will be on the upper end of possibilities. Nintendo never released high end hardware since N64 and they won't release a 500 bucks handheld.

Woopah

If it really is planned to sell 12 million this holiday, then this sounds like it replaces the current hybrid model. Whichever way its going to be insteresting!#

If it really is planned to sell 12 million this holiday, then this sounds like it replaces the current hybrid model. Whichever way its going to be insteresting!#

I think they meant to say that as a family, the Switch (Lite, Switch and Pro) will sell 12 million for that 1st quarter that the Pro will be available. The Pro is rumored to cost 20% more, so the cheaper Switches will still sell the most.

Last edited:

Woopah

I think they meant to say that as a family, the Switch (Lite, Switch and Pro will sell 12 million for that 1st quarter that the Pro will be available. The Pro is rumored to cost 20% more, so the cheaper Switches will still sell the most.
Ah yes that make more sense, so it'll be something like:

$349 Switch Plus
$299 Switch
$199 Switch Lite

If launches alongside BOTW2 in November we could see some unti and dollar records broken. Thought I imagine Switch Plus would have limited supply for the first few months.

vkbest

Actually they could. Remember the Switch's Tegra X1 is based on tech from 2014. It uses the same Maxwell CUDA cores that are used in the Geforce 700 line (essentially equal to a Geforce GT 750). It only has 256 CUDA cores that is underclocked at 460MHz at the HIGHEST. If rumors are true then nVidia has just stopped producing those Maxwell chips.

The newest version of the Tegra line, Orin, is using 7nm Ampere chips, rumored to have 2048 CUDA cores (yes I know it's not MEANT to run games but it works as an example for what can be placed onto a low powered mobile device). Running at just 800MHz, it would put out 3.2TFs. Not saying this is on the table, just pointing out it's possible.

Lol the current Xavier is 1.3 TFLOPS at 30w. Switch is going to need reduce to 5w at max. 1Tflop would be surprising to me on a Switch.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Source (requires terminal): https://blinks.bloomberg.com/news/stories/QQ3195T1UM16

Redditor has kindly provided a TL-DR

• They reiterate a holiday launch in 2021
  • Hardware sales will either remain flat or grow slightly due to revision.
  • Higher expectations are placed on the Switch Pro (that's what it's referred to in the article) than the PS4 PRO which sold 2M launch window.
  • Launch quarter (Sep-Dec) could reach up to 12M units sold.
  • According to the hardware forecast they speculate that the MSRP could be higher for the revision upwards of 20%
  • Zelda is a strong launch game candidate with several round out titles to accompany it.
ROTFL I don't think this is possible, not even Apple is at PS4 Pro level yet with their mobile arm chips.

Woopah

ROTFL I don't think this is possible, not even Apple is at PS4 Pro level yet with their mobile arm chips.
With DLSS it could be PS4 Pro in terms of performance even if it isn't PS4 Pro in terms of power. We know Nintendo and Nvidia are close and this seems like the type of money-saving and battery-saving technology that Nintendo would love.

Last edited:
Lol the current Xavier is 1.3 TFLOPS at 30w. Switch is going to need reduce to 5w at max. 1Tflop would be surprising to me on a Switch.
1.3 TFlops of volta arch would pretty much put it around base PS4 (if not better) + DLSS/RT.

At 12nm Xavier is impossible, but with a tweaked version at 7nm, who knows.

For the record, I don't expect Xavier, but at least the Tegra X1 chip bumped to the level of TX2... Anything more than that will be a nice surprise.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Fake 4k 30fps soy boy machine .

Real talk even though il buy this piece of shit to bust Zelda and that open world 14fps Pokemon hype.

nordique

I think people are taking that out of context

they must mean the new switch will be a jump akin to how ps4 pro was over base ps4

People who are doubting this performance increase are short-sighted. The Tegra X1 that was in the Switch at launch was not 2017-era performance. It was manufactured on TSMC’s 20nm, an ancient process from 2014. In addition to all the improvements in efficiency from nvidia since Maxwell, you can easily see a 5nm/7nm/8nm chip being significantly more powerful than the current Switch. 2-3TF isn’t that crazy.

Last edited:
I fully expect a slightly higher clocked Switch that can do 4K output when docked. But most games will not be 4K native.

They will be either upscalled or be dynamic resolution up to 4K. I guess in that sense, exactly like a PS4 pro lol!

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Maybe it means the jump is like how Xbox 1 and PS4 improved to PS4 pro and Xbox 1 X. Not that it will be as strong as the XB1X and PS4 pro

McRazzle

I find that hard to believe on the Switch being almost on par with the PS4 Pro/One X. Unless the they finally use the Patent SCD they made back in 2017 where the dock would output the higher performance. Other than that I don’t see it. I could see it on par with the PS4 or Xbox One.
Orin is being produced on both 8nm and 5nm; (because 5nm isn't approved for self-riving vehicles yet)
Ps4 Pro/XOX performance would definitely be possible on 5nm.
There is a verified developer at Reee saying he's heard of a chip for Nintendo that hasn't taped out yet, and Furukawa said in his latest interview that they had initiatives that would appeal more to Westerners than to the Japanese.

I think we're looking at a stationary Switch on 8nm this year and a 5nm hybrid to launch along side Pokemon early next year.

This does not seem like any other rumor. This has been floating for a couple of months and the timing makes sense. I'll be surprised not to see this release in the holiday season with a Zelda game.

I works have liked to see a 1080p panel, but in handheld mode it's not big deal if it really increases performance. I'm pretty excited for this.
If it has an IGZO tft panel, that would allow in twice the amount of light, and make the screen appear to be 1080p.
It's also possible the screen could be for the controller of a stationary model as Nintendo has numerous patents showing joycons attached to a screen for someone playing games on the TV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom