• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: It's Going to Get Even Harder to Buy a PlayStation 5 (chip shortage)

That’s ok. The majority never does anything. There’s well over 100 million and the demand is insane. The money will roll in.

PC gamers have pretty distinct tastes. As we've seen these games do OK. Im not sure linear single player games are super-duper popular on PC, they typically enjoy sandbox leaning titles with complex systems and modularity.

FrankWza

PC gamers have pretty distinct tastes. As we've seen these games do OK. Im not sure linear single player games are super-duper popular on PC, they typically enjoy sandbox leaning titles with complex systems and modularity.
These 4 year old games do ok when presale numbers are through the roof. We’re talking about day 1 and full price.
Millions and millions of these refined palates will be salivating at the chance to fork over ;) their $. The grade of meat goes prime. The scotch is no younger than 18. The vino is now double digit.

Not looking good for next gen consoles, they're dying before fully maturing. Forcing the release in 2020 was a big mistake I think...

These 4 year old games do ok when presale numbers are through the roof. We’re talking about day 1 and full price.
Millions and millions of these refined palates will be salivating at the chance to fork over ;) their $. The grade of meat goes prime. The scotch is no younger than 18. The vino is now double digit.
I think you may need to do more to understand the buying / gameplay habits of PC players. PC has been my primary platform for years and your take doesn't align with the reality.

PC players are often playing odd games that console players have never heard of lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Frustration around Sony’s limited inventory is growing among game makers as well as fans of the console. One top Japanese game publisher has found players who used to buy PlayStation versions of its games are now gradually shifting to purchasing the PC edition, said an executive who asked not to be named.
Uh oh.

This isnt due to the shortage either because PC GPUs are even harder to find.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes, the pandemic continues to have a major impact across the world, in many areas of distribution. That’s why until the whole world is vaccinated these shortages will continue.
I didn't know the vaccine could stop a 50 year drought in South East Asia.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The main reason for the chip shortage is the pandemic. The Taiwanese drought has exacerbated the situation.

No, Taiwan has been experiencing their worst drought in 50 years since 2020, and that's where TSMC (the biggest chip manufacturer is). Without water to cool the plants, their manufacturing is extremely limited to the point where TSMC is trying to build a plant in Arizona.

VN1X

Banned
Yes, the pandemic continues to have a major impact across the world, in many areas of distribution. That’s why until the whole world is vaccinated these shortages will continue.
d91f97ff683eb493ed92f2350cb64579.png

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Knock it off. You laid bait in two different threads- and I see nobody "anti-vax" rather providing other sources of chip shortages.

Bring the vaccine debates to the proper threads in the off-topic section.

Okay, but I don't think I was laying any bait by stating that the continuing chip shortage is due to the ongoing covid pandemic. I never mentioned anything else about the pandemic, but don't particularly like being hauled across the coals by posters for stating facts. I'll delete the above post though.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Okay, but I don't think I was laying any bait by stating that the continuing chip shortage is due to the ongoing covid pandemic. I never mentioned anything else about the pandemic, but don't particularly like being hauled across the coals by posters for stating facts. I'll delete the above post though.
There are many factors at play in which ManaByte ManaByte has provided. Not just one sole reason.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There are many factors at play in which ManaByte ManaByte has provided. Not just one sole reason.

And I agreed. The other things, like the drought, the Texas fire, etc. have absolutely made things worse, but it's the effect of the pandemic that's absolutely the main reason we're in this situation. Without it, the other issues wouldn't have had the impact they have. Being called a clown for saying that is going a bit far.

VN1X

Banned
Stating facts you say? Man, I wish I was as sure about things like you are apparently. Must be nice!

Anyway it sucks that most of us still can't get a PS5 and I doubt I'll manage to get one any time soon, let alone 2022. Oh well, when I do finally get one I'll be able to play loads of titles at least. Sadge.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Stating facts you say? Man, I wish I was as sure about things like you are apparently. Must be nice!

Anyway it sucks that most of us still can't get a PS5 and I doubt I'll manage to get one any time soon, let alone 2022. Oh well, when I do finally get one I'll be able to play loads of titles at least. Sadge.

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

...anyway. That'll do for that. Moving on...

Lognor

Banned
I missed that the PS5 has fallen behind the PS4. Wow! Huge news. And I don't know if it will catch up anytime soon. Ps4 did great consistently since launch. And with more and more games being announced as cross gen some people are going to hold off on that PS5. PS4 was quite the beast.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One guy I know got 10 preorders too. He laughed how easy it was since he purposely picked smaller scale Canadian stores which had them but nobody would think of. And obviously by the looks of it, they didn't care about trying to limit it to one per person. Everyone else bee-lined to Amazon, Best Buy etc....

John Wick

this will push Sony to greatly accelerate the release of games on PC. or in the same time span it will never reach the numbers of the PS4 (in 7 years)
Why? Because there is a chip shortage worldwide?
Maybe that's why with hindsight Sony decided to release PS4 versions of their main titles?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why? Because there is a chip shortage worldwide?
Maybe that's why with hindsight Sony decided to release PS4 versions of their main titles?
There's also shipping shortages. Shipment containers can be bumped for other pending if a company wants to pay more or use their relationships to get first in line. It's become a vulture infested industry.

Our company got overseas shipments bumped. We have very little overseas goods (almost all made domestically), but for some stuff we got bumped by suppliers who have bigger pull because they use those transportation companies more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's also shipping shortages. Shipment containers can be bumped for other pending if a company wants to pay more or use their relationships to get first in line. It's become a vulture infested industry.

Our company got overseas shipments bumped. We have very little overseas goods (almost all made domestically), but for some stuff we got bumped by suppliers who have bigger pull because they use those transportation companies more.
I wonder if they're going to start if they have not already, eat the cost of air shipping like they did with the PS4 to keep up with demand.

But something tells me this is not mainly a shipping issue, but chip shortages in general. All industries that rely on semiconductors in their products are feeling that.

Last edited:

yurinka

Bloomberg seems to have a rule that every certain amount of weeks they must release a Sony article with FUD and potential lies.

Sony said (twice, I think) that they secured enough chips to achieve their fiscal year estimation, which means to be the best selling console (launch aligned, counting by quarters) ever at the end of this FY.

So even if consoles would be hard to find due to insane demand, if they achieve their target -again, they said they secured the chips and seems there's more than enough demand- they would have sold a shit ton of consoles, more than any other console did in gaming history at this point of its lifetime. So more people will have able to find and buy a PS5 than any previous console in gaming history.

Yes, there are chip shortages. But Sony said that -even if they pretty likely won't match the insane demand that is out there- they secured enough of them continue breaking gaming history records in terms of consoles sold. If they would have access to more chips very likely they would be able to sell even more consoles, but the chips they are able to get are enough to post insane numbers.

Last edited:
I missed that the PS5 has fallen behind the PS4. Wow! Huge news. And I don't know if it will catch up anytime soon. Ps4 did great consistently since launch. And with more and more games being announced as cross gen some people are going to hold off on that PS5. PS4 was quite the beastt

There was still so much potential left for PS4. That thing has one of the most diverse console library, even rivaling PS2. Sony made a big mistake for killing it early I think.

They made a gamble sacrificing PS4 for PS5, and now even PS5 is in shaky footing. Had they not kill PS4 early, I think it had the potential to sell 135-140million by the end of its life

Man this chip shortage is going to be a bitch not only for game systems but everything that uses a chip. Cars, appliances, dishwasher you name it.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

There was still so much potential left for PS4. That thing has one of the most diverse console library, even rivaling PS2. Sony made a big mistake for killing it early I think.

They made a gamble sacrificing PS4 for PS5, and now even PS5 is in shaky footing. Had they not kill PS4 early, I think it had the potential to sell 135-140million by the end of its life
I thought the same in the beginning...
BUT: there are limited chips available, and I guess that every cheap PS4 they build would reduce the amount of PS5 they can build (*)
And the plan was to produce as many PS5 as possible during a pandemic which reduces supply of parts. I think in "normal" times Sony would think about releasing a "PS4 super slim" for low cost

I guess they would be able to sell a PS4 with shrinked chips for below $200 for a profit, and with some bundled stuff (e.g. some games you only get with PS+ subscription like the collection) they would sell like hot cake and increase the number of PS+/PS Now subscribers.
But if you can not produce enough of your major, profitable expensive product, why should you spend resources to build something cheaper and be able to make less of the expensive product?

(*) eg. TSMC can only produce a limited number of 7nm Wafer per month, and AMD (and that Sony) only gets a certain number of it. Sony can decide if these Wafer get PS4 SoCs or PS5 SoCs baked on it, so every Wafer with PS4 SoCs will reduce the amount of PS5 Sony can make. And because the number of overall wafer is limited Sony could not just order more...

Last edited:
Top Bottom