• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Multiple potential Buyers interested in Square Enix (Debunked: See OP)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here we go. Bidding war between Sony and Microsoft I am guessing. Whoever wins, gamers lose.

Several potential buyers have shown interest in Square Enix, CTFN quoted two bankers familiar with the matter.

It's not clear if the focus is on the gaming sector or the company as a whole.

According to Bloomberg data, Square Enix's digital entertainment business accounted for 72% of total sales in the fiscal year ended at the end of March 2020.

If all these third parties go first party, we will have to purchase both consoles every gen for games that have no reason being exclusives. I really dont see publishers like SE, Zenimax and Ubisoft struggling with gaming being more profitable than ever.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see if Sony can outbid Microsoft. I highly doubt it, but I am guessing Jim will probably draw the line here and Phil would probably just keep increasing the bid to make it a more expensive purchase than it needs to be.

Not sure who else might be interested in buying SE. EDIT: Tencent!

Last edited:
dj khaled GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's Friday, and people who aren't good at actual news have to rumormonger to make the day. 😂

But hey, two anonymous "bankers" said that, must be true. 😂

Of course, we can expect the usual carousel of "I knew too!" and corny opinion pieces on this throughout the weekend.

PS: some need to be reminded that not all businesses *want* to be bought. It takes two parties to have a sale.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Looks like you beat me by a minute so posting here.

Here we go. Bidding war between Sony and Microsoft I am guessing. Whoever wins, gamers lose.

If all these third parties go first party, we will have to purchase both consoles every gen for games that have no reason being exclusives. I really dont see publishers like SE, Zenimax and Ubisoft struggling with gaming being more profitable than ever.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see if Sony can outbid Microsoft. I highly doubt it, but I am guessing Jim will probably draw the line here and Phil would probably just keep increasing the bid to make it a more expensive purchase than it needs to be.

Quasicat

It would be crazy if Nintendo jumped into this. I remember how sad I was when Squaresoft jumped ship to PlayStation...which I could not afford at the time. Now that I am older and have the (mostly) expendable income to buy all of the consoles, I’m curious where this goes. My 15 year old self would be so happy to see it go to Nintendo; my 42 year old self thinks he should get off of the console wars since it’s a plastic box that sits with other plastic boxes under the TV.

Grow up 15 year old self...and get off my lawn!

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Looks like you beat me by a minute so posting here.

Bigger question is if Sony even need to outbid them. Being a Japanese company means they’d likely prefer a Japanese buyer like Sony or Nintendo.

SlimySnake

Bigger question is if Sony even need to outbid them. Being a Japanese company means they’d likely prefer a Japanese buyer like Sony or Nintendo.
Good question. I mean why do they want to be bought anyway? its not like they are hurting. someone must have made an offer.

werent there rumors that Phil bought Bethesda because Sony was trying to buy Starfield and other bethesda timed exclusives which forced Phil's hands. Well Sony has FF7, FF14, FF16 and Project Athia timed exclusivity so maybe Phil is like fuck this. Im going all in.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Sony has a long history with Square Enix, so Sony courting them sounds the most plausible. Especially since the two brands are so intertwined in the Japanese market.
Although I'd prefer if they remained 3rd party. Square Enix makes titles for not only PlayStation & Xbox platforms, but develop titles for Nintendo platforms. Would be a shame for that to go away.

Microsoft has probably opened his Warchest to add more Value to Game Pass ;)
His Warchest? lol

Last edited:

Ozzie666

The most important thing about this possible purchase is:

TAITO

Also if there is any truth to this and if Microsoft is allowed to buy them, they would totally outbid Sony. I believe this is one ally, Sony cannot afford to lose. It will be interesting if so.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Seems like rumor mongering honestly. Sources are dubious and the specific claims are pretty vague (Are they interested in just a stake or the whole company? Does SE actually wants to sell? etc)

I feel this kinda of rumor has been sprouting a lot since the zenimax acquisition, people are just too on the edge about it happening again.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you SE fans, better hope it’s a third party company like EA or Activision. They will ensure the games are multiplat.

if a first party buys them, MS is the next best option. They got money to spare, will put it Xbox and PC and game pass. So at least for console gamers who dont have Xbox, at least you’ll have a PC option. And they won’t be closing Japan studios any time soon like you know who.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
For as much as I'd love another meltdown if Microsoft actually picked them up, Sony just makes much more sense. They have a long history of excellent work together - their work on the PS1 in particular was really quite amazing.

As long as its not Tencent or Amazon, I think it'll all be fine.

Top Bottom