• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Multiple potential Buyers interested in Square Enix (Debunked: See OP)

I'm nobody

Here we go again we all no ms will win may as well stop thread
Phil lips are smacking together telling em we got this boys we got this

Banjo64

cumsessed
Would be a good fit for Sony but I hope they wouldn’t just drop Nintendo support, although I suspect they would.

If it’s Microsoft I can really only see it being for leverage to get Game Pass on PlayStation. They’ve literally said publicly that their games will be for sale on any platform that allows Game Pass. I still don’t think Sony would allow it as it would also mean XBL integration etc.

Xbox? Final Fantasy with bald space marines. But seriously the Xbox audience doesn't give a shit about Japanese games MS tried.

Amen to that, they need to stop chasing the golden dragon. The sales figures back it up time and time again that the interest for these games is on PlayStation. I like Microsoft’s current strategy of paying for games like Yakuza, FF, Dragon Age and Octopath to come to Game Pass but they aren’t ever going to be pioneers for Japanese games. They should embrace what they are and focus on Western RPGs, shooters and strategy games etc (SEGA would fit them like a glove tho).

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
The proportion of sales Playstation to Xbox for Final Fantasy is something like 80% to 20%. Acquiring Square-Enix and making Final Fantasy Xbox-only would effectively kill the franchise.

I guess MS has now adopted a scorched earth policy here: if Xbox isn't allowed to rule the world, then MS will simply start deleting major video game franchises until we all submit or video gaming dies.
Not really. The franchise will survive on PC alone.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's Friday, and people who aren't good at actual news have to rumormonger to make the day. 😂

But hey, two anonymous "bankers" said that, must be true. 😂

Of course, we can expect the usual carousel of "I knew too!" and corny opinion pieces on this throughout the weekend.

PS: some need to be reminded that not all businesses *want* to be bought. It takes two parties to have a sale.
Hostile take over says hi.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
tumblr_mwydouELPL1rfjowdo1_500.gif

29grns.jpg

I don't see MS buying up Square this soon after Zenimax. They like to spend money like crazy nowadays though so what do I know.

Sony is definitely between a rock and a hard place if MS really wants to go after them. Even if Sony somehow decides to make the biggest purchase ever bar none in the history of their company, its going to be far more than 11B$ if MS decides to drive up the price with counteroffers. We already saw this with EA and Codemasters. Sony won't get them if MS is serious.

Bigger question is if Sony even need to outbid them. Being a Japanese company means they’d likely prefer a Japanese buyer like Sony or Nintendo.
Phil has been talking about him and the team spending time in japan recently so it could be a move for MS to become relevant over there again.

Maybe you should check their accounts before making such a delusional statement, they are making more money than Disney, AT&T and as much as Amazon were making in 2018.
They also have more cash than Tencent.
Their biggest purchase was less than half of what SE is worth without premium and not accounting for a bidding war.

Its not impossible but I seriously doubt its Sony who gets them in the end.

SkylineRKR

I think Sony would make the most sense. Their FF games vastly outsell MS versions and FVII and XVI for Xbox are unknown even. Athia as well.

turtlepowa

Banned
Bigger question is if Sony even need to outbid them. Being a Japanese company means they’d likely prefer a Japanese buyer like Sony or Nintendo.
Yeah that may work if grandma wants to sell her car, but i somehow doubt big companies throw away money to get a more sympathetic buyer.

DavidGzz

The proportion of sales Playstation to Xbox for Final Fantasy is something like 80% to 20%. Acquiring Square-Enix and making Final Fantasy Xbox-only would effectively kill the franchise.

I guess MS has now adopted a scorched earth policy here: if Xbox isn't allowed to rule the world, then MS will simply start deleting major video game franchises until we all submit or video gaming dies.

PS gamers who love those games will become Xbox gamers. Series S and Game Pass will be their go to. Isn't mobile gaming huge in Japan? Dragon Quest on Game Pass on every phone. MS is probably going for that market.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Falls in line with Sony’s current push towards big tent pole releases too. Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider are absolutely huge IPs. I just pray it’s not the Chinese gov. or Facebook or some shit.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't see MS buying up Square this soon after Zenimax. They like to spend money like crazy nowadays though so what do I know.

Sony is definitely between a rock and a hard place if MS really wants to go after them. Even if Sony somehow decides to make the biggest purchase ever bar none in the history of their company, its going to be far more than 11B$ if MS decides to drive up the price with counteroffers. We already saw this with EA and Codemasters. Sony won't get them if MS is serious.
Sony has more to offer than just cash.... think about it.

With the restructuring of Sony Japan, perhaps they are in preparation of a large Japanese acquisition.
This is the first thing i thought. It was just previous to end of fiscal year when was just announced they would expend the 2020 profits in investments. Any SE bid should have taken 1-2 years of open books due diligence process, whoever was going to make a bid already knew time ago.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Literally doesn't make any sense for anyone other than Sony to acquire them. 1. They're a Japanese company 2. They have YEARS of planned exclusive and timed exclusive content for Playstation in the works (FF7R part II, III, Forspoken)

It's possible Microsoft is forcing Sony's hand here on purpose. If they run the price up on SE, and Sony overspends, Playstation probably won't be adding new studios anytime soon. MS can then probably purchase the Japanese IPs they're so hellbent on getting (I thought the ACG rumor was bullshit but maybe they really are interested in Konami IPs). They could potentially purchase Sega as well, unless the Japanese government gets involved. Sony won't be in a position to defend their turf sadly.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think Sony would make the most sense. Their FF games vastly outsell MS versions and FVII and XVI for Xbox are unknown even. Athia as well.
It does make perfect since but you know what doesn’t make any since? How Jim approached this gen so far.

Ellery

Recently it has been worse than usual with the "fake news" and feelyguessing.

The worst part is that we will forget about these rumors by the time we should realize they have been shit and then we jump onto the next rumor from the same folk and want to believe them again.

Well,already debunked rumor. Still thinking Capcom is better suited for Sony, above all with the nowadays stock value bubble.

Last edited:
Well that’s definitive; we do not consider selling the company or any part of the company.

If this was a ploy to drive the price up they would have just said; we have no comment at this time.
Yep, they are public so they can't lie to shareholders. Makes me wonder about the insiders who made claims before though.

v_iHuGi

Banned

This is not how it works.

Square might want to sell to Sony, therefore a MS acquisition would be a aggressive one, companies hate that & will fight against it. See Ubisoft some years ago.

Bethesda / Microsoft was a friendly deal with 2 companies that loved each other.

Square might want to sell to Microsoft though. Definitely 100% possible.

But Sony is the most likely candidate.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
This is not how it works.

Square might want to sell to Sony, therefore a MS acquisition would be a aggressive one, companies hate that & will fight against it. See Ubisoft some years ago.

Bethesda / Microsoft was a friendly deal with 2 companies that loved each other.

Square might want to sell to Microsoft though. Definitely 100% possible.

But Sony is the most likely candidate.

I found this here, sounds quite plausible to me:

For you SE fans, better hope it’s a third party company like EA or Activision. They will ensure the games are multiplat.

if a first party buys them, MS is the next best option. They got money to spare, will put it Xbox and PC and game pass. So at least for console gamers who dont have Xbox, at least you’ll have a PC option. And they won’t be closing Japan studios any time soon like you know who.
Yes because last time ms bought Japanese ip went so well...

Top Bottom