• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Multiple potential Buyers interested in Square Enix (Debunked: See OP)

Dabaus

Banned
In one week xbox fandom has gone from Microsoft is going to make a game with Kojima, Acquire Kojima, Acquire kojima and make metal gear solid 6 because their buying the MGS Ip from konami, to Microsoft is going to outbid Sony and who knows who else for Square enix. Even now im seeing from certain corners "Square is lying, wait until they see the money in front of them."

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It was that fucker Cliff Barnes
zbUX9gX.jpg
That loser, Cliff Barnes couldn't tie his shoelaces without his mama to help him!

He's no Dick Jones, I'll tell ya that for nothin'!

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Not saying I don't believe Square but public outcries like this stating you are not for sale or aren't in the process of being sold are often a negotiation tactic to up prices.

There could be a bidding war behind the scenes going on and this would be a great position to be in if you are Square, if you publicly say not for sale you become even more expensive.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
That loser, Cliff Barnes couldn't tie his shoelaces without his mama to help him!

He's no Dick Jones, I'll tell ya that for nothin'!

Those hacks at Bloomberg incorrectly reported that ED-209 killed someone sending OCP stocks plummiting.
These hack frauds cost Delta City a quick rollout of ED-209 to protect the city.
This is what really happened, they just edited it to look worse.

Fake News

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I mentioned this in another thread but seems more relavent here:
Random thoughts: Can we all agree Square is more or less worth somewhere between 9-12 billion? Sony is in a position right now where almost every quarter they make about 3-4 billion dollars right? So after this quarter they will have 50 billion cash on hand. You give sony a couple years at this rate and your look at 60-70 billion dollars on hand. Microsoft makes alot more than that but theyre not waiting for income to do what they want as they have it now.

Square have a great relationship with sony, Nintendo is ok, and until outriders on gamepass have essentially ignored xbox for almost 5 years now. Negations take years and like i said, in a few years if sonys trajectory stay the way it is, theyll have some serious cash to throw around too. So when sony has the best selling console, the actual fanbase, and a good relationship, at what point does SE just not become worth it for MS because all of those things will be a factor in a few years time? IS SE worth 15-20 Billion to MS? I doubt it. Thats not even factoring in other outside companies like tencent or whover. Am I wrong? Probably!

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Random thoughts: Can we all agree Square is more or less worth somewhere between 9-12 billion? Sony is in a position right now where almost every quarter they make about 3-4 billion dollars right? So after this quarter they will have 50 billion cash on hand. You give sony a couple years at this rate and your look at 60-70 billion dollars on hand. Microsoft makes alot more than that but theyre not waiting for income to do what they want as they have it now.

Square have a great relationship with sony, Nintendo is ok, and until outriders on gamepass have essentially ignored xbox for almost 5 years now. Negations take years and like i said, in a few years if sonys trajectory stay the way it is, theyll have some serious cash to throw around too. So when sony has the best selling console, the actual fanbase, and a good relationship, at what point does SE just not become worth it for MS because all of those things will be a factor in a few years time? IS SE worth 15-20 Billion to MS? I doubt it. Thats not even factoring in other outside companies like tencent or whover. Am I wrong? Probably!

They won't have 50 probably till the Summer, 1st quarter of the new year for them.
Q4 is always low for Sony overall.....but I could be wrong with how much business they are doing this year, it's an odd time.

I like how Square saying they are not for sale is somehow a secret hint that they ARE for sale.

Like lol we might as well just start wholly fabricating these rumors ourselves.

Dabaus

Banned
I like how Square saying they are not for sale is somehow a secret hint that they ARE for sale.

Like lol we might as well just start wholly fabricating these rumors ourselves.
I went do the Xbox "Insider" Rabbit hole on twitter. Its a complete inversion of reality.

sainraja

Good question. I mean why do they want to be bought anyway? its not like they are hurting. someone must have made an offer.

werent there rumors that Phil bought Bethesda because Sony was trying to buy Starfield and other bethesda timed exclusives which forced Phil's hands. Well Sony has FF7, FF14, FF16 and Project Athia timed exclusivity so maybe Phil is like fuck this. Im going all in.
That's interesting if true.

I thought it was most likely because of Google Stadia and/or Amazon Luna. Right around this happened is when Google announced the shift in their plans for Stadia and closures of their internal studios. Not really sure if Amazon was involved at all but I think is possible - given some of the statements Phil was making about how Google/Stadia are who they are "competing" with.

I mean, yes, they have competition with Sony on the game console front, but if Google or Amazon was able to leap into gaming with a huge footprint, I'd think that Microsoft would try to outdo them, if given the opportunity and I think they were given the opportunity. Just guessing here haha.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony 2020 FY profit about $10 billion US. Assuming SE sells for about the same, that would be 100% of their annual profit.

Not going to happen.

Last edited:
I know.

I'm just taking a page out of Sony fans' books saying the Xbox division is so bad on profits they can't do anything, yet they buy studios all the time including Zenimax for $7.5 billion, and have cheap GP deals.

Once upon a time that was the case for Xbox.

You're acting like that rehtoric is still being used. I'm pretty sure everyone understands Microsoft aint playing around after Zenimax

Also you're not taking a page. Those are two different arguments

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's Friday, and people who aren't good at actual news have to rumormonger to make the day. 😂

But hey, two anonymous "bankers" said that, must be true. 😂

Of course, we can expect the usual carousel of "I knew too!" and corny opinion pieces on this throughout the weekend.

PS: some need to be reminded that not all businesses *want* to be bought. It takes two parties to have a sale.

As expected.

Two anonymous bankers, especially when quoted by a media outlet that supports shaky reports with anonymous sources all the time, are pretty much as credible as the proverbial "uncle working at Nintendo." Glad Square Enix decided to put them in the trash where they belong.

The funny/sad thing is that they keep doing this and people keep falling for this and giving them the traffic they want. 🤔

Bloomberg has been the butt of the jokes of anyone dedicated to reporting actual news for a long while. They have zero accountability or ethics. If half of the stuff they rumormonger turned out to be true, the industry would be a much different place nowadays.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Nah if Nintendo buys, no more PC, game engines designed on mobile specs design. :messenger_astonished:

MS is the best place imo.

Imagine Bethedsa and SQ and Avalon and probably Bioware as partner.... all these on GPU Store day 1....

Why would I care if SQ is on gamepass? It's not like I am poor and need everything on a subscription service.

Dabaus

Banned
Oh bummer. Can we guess on which developer are xbox fans going to fantasize emptying MS coffers on?
So far this week weve had Konami and square. Im guessing we'll jump back to sega then maybe take 2 or something.

So I tuned in to boomstick gamings youtube show and as far as hes concerned this is a done deal for microsoft and jim ryan is about to put gamepass on playstation, speaking of fantasies.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I guess it's obvious that a lot of people wanted this to be a thing, haha. Well, I can't say I'm too surprised that it was shot down. At least it was done rather quickly. There have been so many rumors flying around for weeks about so many different subjects that were never even acknowledged, haha.

//DEVIL//

Just like I posted . People are stupid . Honestly these rumors are starting to piss me off . Every fucking idiot go to the net and start something out of his ass and it get posted here. Working at Bloomberg means nothing . We all know about Jason and his shit and he works there too .

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Just like I posted . People are stupid . Honestly these rumors are starting to piss me off . Every fucking idiot go to the net and start something out of his ass and it get posted here. Working at Bloomberg means nothing . We all know about Jason and his shit and he works there too .

Yep. Why do you think he's allowed to continue supporting pretty much all he writes with anonymous sources.

Bloomberg is the perfect outlet for Schreier. They have no journalistic ethics and require zero accountability from their writers. As long as you get hits, you're golden.

SaucyJack

9-12 seriously overvalues them IMO, even after the recent 15% share price hike their market cap is about $7 billion. Sure there would be a premium but not that much.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Sony has a long standing relationship with SE, hell they basically helped save Squaresoft from bankruptcy back in the day. But it’s all about portfolio, and SE has the type of portfolio that would fit Sony’s stated goals(anime, manga) while it wouldn’t with MS. It’s crack pot, and it’s just fanboys getting high on their own supply.

Kerotan

Lets take the warchest meme out of the equation and just ask ourselves: Would Square forsake its relationship with sony, nintendo, and Japan as whole for a partner theyve never really had any real success with for an unproven, untested business model?
Hopefully not. Sony is the best bet. I just hope Sony if they bought them would continue to launch games like DQ on switch and pc.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Lately?

This has been going on for a decade, and not just while reporting on the gaming industry. It's all industries they report on.
Ahh ok. I didn't know because I don't follow them. They need to be called out then. Thanks for the info.

Dabaus

Banned
Sort of off topic but I’m listening to the boomstick gaming podcast and they’re talking about it as if it’s a done deal for Xbox already. They’re reasoning you may ask?
- Sony has timed exclusives therefore ms is buying the company
-Sony is nearly bankrupt and Jim “dance shoes” Ryan is going to put gamespass on PlayStation
-Out riders was such a wild success that it convinced all of sqaure enix to want to be bought because of it.
-A cryptic Klobrille tweet about surface and voice recognition that you’ll see 2 years later. Guess what else is up in 2 years? The forspoken timed exclusive deal.
-Square is social on Twitter so someone at xbox must be running their social media.

Edit: Oh yeah kojima signed a 3 year game deal with xbox. Source? Just trust them bro.

Boom seems nice but it’s the most fanatic thing I think I’ve ever listened to.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will sell xbox brand or they will just dissolve it like they did with Mixer if that hypothetical scenario happens.
I thought about it more... I don't know if MS would actually sell the Xbox brand. The Xbox brand is the only leg of MS that is considered "cool" and has pull with younger ppl. Their line of Surface products are moving in that direction, slowly. They need info/data on younger ppl. The Xbox brand gives them that.

There's a good reason MS tried to buy TikTok. Like many other tech companies they are becoming data companies first. They need that data to steer their future products and services. Xbox brand might be too valuable, in terms of data, for MS to let go.

Kumomeme

straight and clear from square itself

they didnt:

1. want to sell the company or any part of it. before there is rumors that they want to sell their western studios.
  2. receive any offer from any third party to acquire the company. if there is offer, they would not denied this.
bloomberg also cited ctfn so both bring false information, including those 'leakers' or so called 'insider' on twitter who immediately throw potential name and speculation.

in the end, Square Enix, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Tencent or whoever else get name picked for this laugh hard.
also anyone who benefit from the stock price increase. this might be the main perpetrator.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I think it’s worth noting that none of the “official channels” you could say that Microsoft uses like Tom warren, brad sams, jez cordon, and to a less extent Jeff grub had any knowledge or said much about this. The only people going pedal to metal “Microsoft all the way baby” were literal fanatics and want to be insiders. No person with actual skin in the game in the industry like zhuge h and his ilk backed up that theory either.

As for Sony, the only way I would see them make a move like that at this point is a more defensive move should MS be so bold, and I don’t think they are. It’s one thing to say you want to “break into the Japanese market,” it’s a whole other thing to buy and be responsible for one of the biggest publishers in the world for what would essentially be an experiment.
I don’t know, taking a step back from the insanity of message boards and what not it just doesn’t seem believable to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom