• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: New Switch to feature DLSS and more

carlosrox

Banned
The good ol Tak backs it up yet again. IIRC he has never gotten any Nintendo stuff wrong? Seems like this is the real deal.

mjWKCeL.jpg
xEweHjj.jpg

So, from 720p@60 in portable mode, to 4k@30 DLSS'd when docked? I know for sure DLSS can do some "magic" but, honestly if that's true we'll see the compromises of that

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
720/60 in portable mode I'm totally fine, 4k when docked with dlss seems achievable. The price it's ok-ish I guess.

Edit: I'll expect a better ergonomic joycon though
Games will look like absolute garbage if that is the case as the system needs to leave so much head room available to run in 4K at the same FPS.

This thing will be 4K like the PS5 is 8k. But again, 4K is a waste of resources.

Last edited:

Xyphie

considering there is no tegra equivalent nvidia gpu now, the new switch should be a new customed chip.

Both Xavier/Orin are more geared towards car automation with a bunch of junk they wouldn't need, so it should be something custom or new. Given that Switch is far and away the most successful Tegra product on the market it's not really a tall order. A SoC with newish quad/octa-core ARM CPU and some Ampere GPU seems like a reasonable bet.

regawdless

Banned
399 would be too high, DLSS support would be a killer feature though. They could achieve amazing visuals. Especially undocked, where the negatives of DLSS would basically play no role on that small screen.

ultrazilla

Nintendo Co. plans to adopt an upgraded Nvidia Corp. chip with better graphics and processing for a new Switch model planned for the year-end shopping season, according to people familiar with the matter.

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

The U.S. company’s new chipset will also bring a better CPU and increased memory. DLSS support will require new code to be added to games, so it’ll primarily be used to improve graphics on upcoming titles, said the people, including multiple game developers. Bloomberg News previously reported that the new Switch is likely to include a 7-inch OLED screen from Samsung Display Co. and couple the console’s release with a bounty of new games.

Analysts expect the new Switch will be offered at a higher price than the current model’s $299, a level unchanged since the Switch’s initial release in 2017. Bloomberg Intelligence’s Matthew Kanterman foresees an increase of as much as $100.

“$349.99 will increase the value proposition of the device, but I still think Nintendo can drive strong demand even at $399.99,” he said.

-Using "upgraded Nvidia chip with better graphics/processing
-Better cpu/increased memory
-DLSS support
-$350-$399

considering there is no tegra equivalent nvidia gpu now, the new switch should be a new customed chip.
There is, it's been available as a devkit since early last year/late 2019. The Jetson Xavier NX. Same board size as the Jetson X1, the equivalent of Switch's Tegra X1, but bigger chip and twice the RAM in a different layout. Has Tensor cores, rather few compared to the dedicated GPUs, but Tensor cores nevertheless.

Now, I'm not going to say that it's a definite thing or anything of the kind. But the darn thing is named Jetson Xavier NX. And as tech goes, it would've been in development for a long, long time. So... would be a heck of a coincidence.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Assuming this is true it'll be a little beast.

Sounds like it's basically a generational jump from the Switch.

It appears to be better than base PS4 with better stuff on top of that already before even including DLSS which is fucking magic fairy dust.
I keep telling everyone this is basically a Switch 2 yet people remain skeptical.
Nvidia has every reason to provide a powerful custom chip at a low cost to nintendo. They know the switch is already a success, and this new one will be their poster child, a portable advertisement for their tech.

Last edited:

Business

400 seems pretty reasonable and DLSS would be godsent. I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo software but I'll still buy this even if it's a "Pro" kind of mid gen upgrade.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I keep telling everyone this is basically a Switch 2 yet people remain skeptical.
Nvidia has every reason to provide a powerful custom chip at a low cost to nintendo. They know the switch is already a success, and this new one will be their poster child, a portable advertisement for their tech.
I can't see it not being the next gen. Maybe it is just a performance upgrade with no new exclusive games. Something intended to keep the platform rolling for another 3 years or so before a true next gen with exclusive games. I guess that might work. Still not sure they need it in 2021 with the Switch still selling and all the chip shortages, but I guess we will see. Also it is hard to take these things seriously even with more details because these rumors have been going on for a couple of years already.

Last edited:

FireFly

Games will look like absolute garbage if that is the case as the system needs to leave so much head room available to run in 4K at the same FPS.

This thing will be 4K like the PS5 is 8k. But again, 4K is a waste of resources.
Most likely DLSS will be used to scale from 1080p to 4K. So the internal resolution will be 720p in portable mode and 1080p in docked mode.

Daymos

Why do you guys always focus on the price, it's been proven that people will pay $1,000 for a new console until demand is filled.

It's probably not going to happen, but my wish for this revision is a battery that you can change yourself! I'll be keeping a switch library for a long time and I don't want to have to deal with a battery that's glued in there or whatever.

FingerBang

I'm getting one regardless, but at $399 I doubt it's going to do well against PS5/XSS.

I get it's going to have better performance in handheld mode as well, but at that price you should be able to get a PS5 DE which is going to have better graphics regardless of DLSS

Maogp

idk, I imagine rendering the game at 640x480 then using dlss in portable to bring the res to 720, will be barely noticeable the difference with a native resolution, games will run at 60fps with phisics and other stuff achievable with the power saved thanks to the low resolution, games will be very good to see in portable mode. My doubt is when docked with the fake resolution but still, I think will be a big jump for the Switch.

daclynk

giphy.gif

If its true, welcome to the Hybrid DLSSucc power. but i dont think so. its too early for a succ, i need a revision first. maybe 3 yrs before a true successor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom