• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: New Switch to feature DLSS and more

Thirty7ven

Banned
Still doubt it will have DLSS but the question is, if it does, exactly how much silicon is dedicated to tensor cores? Because that’s what we are talking really. People seem to be under the illusion that DLSS is just something you slap on it...

Last edited:
DLSS being included means that we can expect a minimum in terms of raw performance power of the base device.

From what I've seen, expect the device to be around the power of an Xbox One S. Couple that with an architecture from 2020/2021 and DLSS and you get a device that'll run rings around the base PS4 and Xbox One and even the Pro and One X with their shitty 2013 Jaguar chips.

Solarstrike

pat morita nod GIF

Maogp

Exciting! DLSS also means a new architecture, probably either Ampere or Turing. That means full support for next generation games.
This should be the goal for Nintendo. Using the dlss they could save power to port SX and ps5 games at least at 1080 when docked, the difference will be not brutal if not impossible with no dlss and new architecture.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be in Nintendo's best interest to offer performance boosts to their still selling games?

It only makes sense and they need to give people reasons to buy their new console.

I'd be surprised if they just left all these major games as is when they're pimping a new, more powerful console.
Did that happen for all old games when the PS4 pro and Xbox One X was released?

Or now, for all old PS4 games on the PS5 via BC?

🤷‍♂️

Sure, it happened for some games but far from all. Even some "obvious" titles have been left out.

Last edited:

Dampf

This should be the goal for Nintendo. Using the dlss they could save power to port SX and ps5 games at least at 1080 when docked, the difference will be not brutal if not impossible with no dlss and new architecture.
Yes, thanks to the Series S, the bar for next gen support is pretty low. All the Switch Pro needs is having a fast storage device with atleast 1 GB/s, a decent 8 or 12 core ARM78 CPU, 8 Gb or more RAM and a modern GPU that uses Ampere or Turing with the raw performance of the base last gen consoles (thanks to DLSS which will offset the power differences nicely)

I suppose RT acceleration would also be pretty important, as next gen games could use it only, so if Nintendo is serious with third party support, it needs to have RT cores as well, which is likely due to the Ampere or Turing architecture and tensor cores already confirmed. Switch Pro could actually have an advantage there, because Nvidia's RT cores are stronger than Ray accelerators.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'll be waiting for this then.

$100 more? The current Switch getting a price cut or is this Switch 2? Because the mid gen refreshes for MS and Sony didnt cost $100 more, they were the launch prices and the base consoles got price cuts.

Maybe $349 is it but still.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I haven't bought a Nintendo system since the DS but if they make a quality product they might get me to buy one this time. I'm not willing to pay $299 for junk but I am willing to pay $349 or $399 for a high quality portable.

Dampf

I haven't bought a Nintendo system since the DS but if they make a quality product they might get me to buy one this time. I'm not willing to pay $299 for junk but I am willing to pay $349 or $399 for a high quality portable.
That high price tag leaves me quite optimistic. Maybe we will actually get a powerful handheld with good third party support this time.

SLB1904

Banned
That twite looks like fanboy wet dream.
Its Nintendo we talking about. You will get an overpriced weak ass machine

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes, thanks to the Series S, the bar for next gen support is pretty low. All the Switch Pro needs is having a fast storage device with atleast 1 GB/s, a decent 8 or 12 core ARM78 CPU, 8 Gb or more RAM and a modern GPU that uses Ampere or Turing with the raw performance of the base last gen consoles (thanks to DLSS which will offset the power differences nicely)

I suppose RT acceleration would also be pretty important, as next gen games could use it only, so if Nintendo is serious with third party support, it needs to have RT cores as well, which is likely due to the Ampere or Turing architecture and tensor cores already confirmed. Switch Pro could actually have an advantage there, because Nvidia's RT cores are stronger than Ray accelerators.

You should forget about that, if you’re hoping a handheld device to be able to run games where XSS is the minimum spec. The play here is to start getting those PS4 generation ports, with settings anywhere between a PS4 and a PS4 pro and maybe even an extra here and there.

Haggard

Banned
DLSS as a standard feature in a widespread platform? Yes please!
If that happens DLSS will instantly become a standard feature in every commercial engine which would be fantastic.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I keep telling everyone this is basically a Switch 2 yet people remain skeptical.
Nvidia has every reason to provide a powerful custom chip at a low cost to nintendo. They know the switch is already a success, and this new one will be their poster child, a portable advertisement for their tech.

It won't be a Switch 2, just a mid-gen refresh. They aren't giving away those millions of users when they are only 4 years in. Expect most software (all of Nintendo's) to continue to support the base switch for at least 3 or 4 years to come. This "Pro" model probably will see a rush of PS4/X1 ports that weren't deemed possible/profitable on the original hardware. Depends on the bandwidth and all that as well.

Robb

Gold Member
I'll take this with a big grain of salt...

DLSS would be awesome, but considering it's Nintendo we're talking about, things are sounding a bit too good to be true.

I hope they surprise me though.

Interfectum

I'll take this with a big grain of salt...

DLSS would be awesome, but considering it's Nintendo we're talking about, things are sounding a bit too good to be true.

I hope they surprise me though.
Knowing Nintendo they'll use DLSS to conserve battery life and the games can't utilize it to make better graphics.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Launch it with system wide achievements too for games. I know many don't care about them, but so many want them also! I'd easily replay a ton of my older games for Nintendo type achievements. Make the trophy/achievement sound be the Mario coin noise.

michael richards yes GIF

Animagic

Banned
If they don’t release joycon 2.0 with a different contact solution behind the analog on the board, then what’s the point?

I have a launch day model so I’m eager to upgrade. Will any of us be able to buy one though? Does Nintendo care if scalpers buy them all or not? Guess we will find out.

e&e

Banned
I'm getting one regardless, but at $399 I doubt it's going to do well against PS5/XSS.

I get it's going to have better performance in handheld mode as well, but at that price you should be able to get a PS5 DE which is going to have better graphics regardless of DLSS
You think people getting Switch because of graphics?

Still doubt it will have DLSS but the question is, if it does, exactly how much silicon is dedicated to tensor cores? Because that’s what we are talking really. People seem to be under the illusion that DLSS is just something you slap on it...
Well if you go by numbers... an RTX 2060 has 240 Tensor cores. That gives it enough tensor compute power to upscale 1080p to 4K, in a game like Death Stranding, at around 80 fps on average. It can do upscaling to 1080p at very high FPS, it doesn't seem like the upscaling itself takes much power.

If we imagine that something like the Jetson Xavier NX is powering this revision, you're looking at a fifth of the Tensor core count. 48 Tensor cores in that, and probably not clocked as high. So... maybe put the over/under at around a tenth of the compute power. Now, we know that the upscaling itself doesn't take much power - most of the Tensor power in an RTX card is used for AI denoising of ray-tracing. Maybe. So let's be very generous and assume that, for practical purposes, the Tensor cores in a Xavier NX will allow DLSS 2.0 upscaling at a quarter of what an RTX 2060 is capable of.

That would, in terms of known limits, allow the "super Switch" to run DLSS upscaling from 540 to 1080p at way over 60 FPS. And upscaling to 4K, possibly at around 20?

There's a lot that is unknown about the whole thing, but even if the chip in this "super Switch" is exactly like the Jetson Xavier NX, there is at least the shadow of a possibility that DLSS on it would be possible and practical.

As far as "slapping on" DLSS, Nintendo has been slowly embracing the Unreal Engine for its games. And UE4 has recently gotten the DLSS module, that led to some games getting DLSS 2.0 patches done in a matter of days. So while it won't be for all games, and won't necessarily happen at all, it's not outside the realm of plausibility either. I think Luigi's Mansion 3 was made in UE4, no? At least that could get a fast patch, possibly.

Saber

Gold Member
All those rumors and infos sounds more like fanboy wet dream then actually a thing.

Will believe when I see it, but so far I ain't buying.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo sees Generation 8 (Switch) as still marketable and next gen consoles (gen 9) will benefit from this.

KAL2006

Banned
Both Sony and Microsoft when releasing the Pro upgrade they sold the same price and reduced the price of their vanilla console. In this scenario Nintendo refusing to reduce the price of their vanilla console and instead keeping it the same price while charging more for the Pro version. I don't blame Nintendo though Switch selling like hotcakes they should milk people as much as possible with low budget Pokémon releases charged at full price, Wii ports charged at full price, console never reducing in price even though manufacturing costs must have reduced alot in the last 4 years. It's all about the margins and Nintendo love high profit margins and if sales are not slowing why should they bother.

BenG

Neo Member
That twite looks like fanboy wet dream.
Its Nintendo we talking about. You will get an overpriced weak ass machine
Switch bucked that trend hard. Prior to the announcement people weren't even sure the next Nintendo handheld was going to be significantly stronger than Vita let alone PS3/360/Wii U.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would also like to see a fix to the Joy Con connectivity and drift issues. Even if they don't, still going to buy one.

Top Bottom