• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: New Switch to feature DLSS and more

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Here's hoping Nvidia did build them a shiny new chip with more power, probably considering DLSS, unless it's just a scaled down 2060 in the dock for dlss.......we will see I guess. New joycons would be nice.......the current ones are poor.

Ellery

All those things sound great to me. That would be the Switch version I'd want and I hope Nintendo can increase their game output as well. All those Wii re-releases for $60 and Indie games that were on PC 8 years ago are not that exciting to me.

NateDrake

Here's hoping Nvidia did build them a shiny new chip with more power, probably considering DLSS, unless it's just a scaled down 2060 in the dock for dlss.......we will see I guess. New joycons would be nice.......the current ones are poor.
It's a new SoC with DLSS features. It's all hardware based. The dock is still just a dock.

Interfectum

It's a new SoC with DLSS features. It's all hardware based. The dock is still just a dock.
Just bottomline it for us... does this mean Switch Pro could run a game like Red Dead 2 with reasonably good graphics and frame rate or should we set our expectations lower?

Last edited:

Woopah

That twite looks like fanboy wet dream.
Its Nintendo we talking about. You will get an overpriced weak ass machine
This reporter had sources in the supply chain, it's not random speculation.
Rumor has it that they are targeting 12m units for the holiday release. Will it be enough? Dunno, but at $399 a lot of people will stick to their OG Switch. I think scalpers won't be making a lot of money with the Super Nintendo Switch.
I think that was 12 million units for the whole Switch family, not just the Pro.
Dude switch come out. 10 years after ps360
And this revision is coming out 8 years after PS4 / XB1. Should be a good upgrade.

Just bottomline it for us... does this mean Switch Pro could run a game like Red Dead 2 or should we set our expectations lower?

Personally, I don't think expectations are high enough. RDR 3 and GTA 6 bout to be Switch exclusives.

Valentina Shevchenko Dancing GIF by UFC

Rat Rage

Sounds reasonable. Especially DLSS makes a lot of sense.

What I wonder is, if Nintendo will "enhance" the dock. Probably they won't put any processors in there, but maybe they can add some extra cooling solutions that help to further cool the main Switch unit. This way, the main unit (Switch Pro) could use higher clock speeds.

The OG Switch works like this already, but the extra cooling is just provided by more energy consumption and increased fan speeds of the main units. I really wonder, if an extra cooling solution implemented in the dock for a potential Switch Pro could work in tandem with the main unit and further improve cooling/increase clock speeds.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Both Sony and Microsoft when releasing the Pro upgrade they sold the same price and reduced the price of their vanilla console. In this scenario Nintendo refusing to reduce the price of their vanilla console and instead keeping it the same price while charging more for the Pro version. I don't blame Nintendo though Switch selling like hotcakes they should milk people as much as possible with low budget Pokémon releases charged at full price, Wii ports charged at full price, console never reducing in price even though manufacturing costs must have reduced alot in the last 4 years. It's all about the margins and Nintendo love high profit margins and if sales are not slowing why should they bother.
£199 Lite, £249 Switch, £299 Pro looks good to me. But as you say it’ll probably stay £279 with the Pro coming in at £329 or some shit.

MagnesG

Banned
Did that happen for all old games when the PS4 pro and Xbox One X was released?

Or now, for all old PS4 games on the PS5 via BC?

🤷‍♂️

Sure, it happened for some games but far from all. Even some "obvious" titles have been left out.
My least expectations would be games that are still selling hot, like BOTW/MK8D, should at minimum be getting the new patches.

If the upgrade is actually significant, I'm keener to believe the continuous Switch family theory is really happening then. Just let Nvidia do all the hard work on producing a new chip every couple of years while they could comfortably continue producing modular design with small changes for every new gimmicky experience they came up with.

That’s an appalling price considering the PS5 digital is £359. For a hardware revision, not even the Switch 2. I’ll just stick to my OG.
I don't know. Sounds like the new Switch could have games exclusive to the improved hardware. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility with Nintendo.

Hard to imagine DLSS will not scale well with Nintendo games. They perform great on the low spec Switch gear already, scaling them up to 4k will be a cinch. IMO backwards compatibility/upscaling with previous Switch titles is a necessity for a Pro model.

I don't see them doing software exclusive to the new system. With the Switch we have seen Nintendo lax performance standards in order to get higher end games (Witcher III, DOOM, etc.) to work in portable. They are fine with making allowances in order to keep games running across platforms. It seems they could simply require a OG Switch performance profile on any new games. Which, for anyone who has been developing on the Switch, they have already been doing anyways.

jaysius

Banned
$400 translates to more than $500(if their dicks which they often are)CND, that's sniffing glue kind of money asked for a Switch with a slightly upgrade.

Dampf

Indeed and by rendering at a super low resolution like 360p and reconstructing to 720p, it could save a ton of battery life for handheld mode as the GPU can downclock heavily. Of course, tensor cores also use power but it should be less than rendering at native 720p.

Now if it had a decent 8 core or more ARM78 CPU, atleast 8 GB RAM and decent storage speed, next gen ports could be possible.

I just wonder if RT cores are included as well, could be very beneficial once games will use RT exclusively for some effects and Switch Pro could push above its weight, considering RT cores are faster than AMD's Ray accelerators in the next gen consoles.

Since I don't play much on the go I've been waiting for a docked performance upgrade to buy a switch. If they can get 1080p/60FPS docked in most games I would be happy enough to purchase. I just highly doubt that Nintendo will put in the work to upgrade any of their best games to take advantage. They have a tendency to never look back when it comes to their games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But will it speed up Animal Crossing load times?

Either way, I'll be there day 1.

99Luffy

Banned
Im gonna sell my switch now. It looks like you can sell at close to msrp.
Second hand prices will crater once this is officially announced.

carlosrox

Banned
pcmag.com joins in on the fun.

However they just source Bloomberg but man is this spreading quickly.

Drop the bomb Nintendo. Puweeeeeeez.

Last edited:
This is the right move. The old Nintendo would have gimped this and not increased price... This is a much better strategy and much more in line with other mobile strategies.

Ladioss

At this point I'm sold, I just want to know how many sanity points I will have to lose to move my switch data to a new hardware.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Give me decent image quality on my CX and I'll pay whatever they want for it.

Hopefully the move to oled means they are considering reducing in game huds or providing options to remove them altogether.

Why?

Why does it have to be powerful to be "worthy" of that pricetag? You do know the Switch is a 2-1 console with gyro and detachable controllers. I am surprised they aren't even charging more for it.

Because I don’t want another console that is years behind gaming technology on the day of release? The Switch has suffered greatly because of its lack of power. That is the reason we are getting this update to begin with. On top of that the PS5 has far more advanced, and better utilized, tech in its controller as well. Like, Nintendo doesn’t even have that claim anymore. The joycons are terrible controllers. Full stop. And if you want a controller that isn’t shit you have to spend $60 more on a Pro controller whereas $400 will get you a PS5 console and the controller included in that price.

DapperSloth

Because I don’t want another console that is years behind gaming technology on the day of release? The Switch has suffered greatly because of its lack of power. That is the reason we are getting this update to begin with. On top of that the PS5 has far more advanced, and better utilized, tech in its controller as well. Like, Nintendo doesn’t even have that claim anymore. The joycons are terrible controllers. Full stop. And if you want a controller that isn’t shit you have to spend $60 more on a Pro controller whereas $400 will get you a PS5 console and the controller included in that price.

homeland GIF by Showtime

Schnozberry

No way it's Orin, that won't come until 2022 at the earliest. It's probably Xavier as it supports DLSS and is in production.

It really depends on if this is another off the shelf part, or semi-custom work. Until Nvidia or Nintendo disclose official information, or something leaks out of manufacturing, we're all guessing.

Given how well the Switch has performed for Nvidia and Nintendo, a custom part isn't completely out of the question. It's also a prestige product for Nvidia, and their only connection in the console space. They'll want to deliver an optimized software/hardware environment. Whether that means Orin or just a nice step up from the OG Switch, if Zelda and Metroid deliver no one will care.

Marvel14

Banned
Wonder what more immersive differentiating tech this will have to justify the price point? Better graphics and performance is not enough of a Nintendo rationale.

If Nintendo get this right it could extend the Switch lifespan by another 3-4 years. If they get it wrong it will be a flash in the pan with only a handful of exclusive games and only for hardcore enthusiasts.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
At this point I'm sold, I just want to know how many sanity points I will have to lose to move my switch data to a new hardware.
That is so old news.

You're just too comfortable with the subsidized price.

Dampf

We have credible rumors now that the Switch Pro could be using Lovelace architecture.

What if... Lovelace is MIMD?

WrKPhfd.gif

Top Bottom