• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo targets record year of software sales (250 million) driven by a series of marquee game releases and a revision

Woopah

Nintendo Co. is gearing up for record software and Switch sales in the coming year, a much stronger performance than investors are projecting, according to the company’s partners and suppliers. Kyoto-based Nintendo is planning for sales of its signature Switch game console to be flat or slightly higher in the fiscal year ending March 2022, boosted by the introduction of a version with an OLED display, according to executives at allies including component suppliers, software publishers and retailers.

Unannounced software lineup

A series of marquee game releases is expected to drive software sales next fiscal year to 250 million units, far more than the record 205 million units forecast for the current year, according to the partners and suppliers, speaking anonymously as the plans are not public.

The company makes some of the biggest blockbuster games on its platform, which contribute significantly to profit and also spur hardware adoption. Much of this year’s lineup of new games remains unannounced.

Hardware revision

Nintendo plans to release a revised version of the Switch in the latter half of this year with a larger and better display as well as upgraded graphics when the hybrid console is plugged into a TV set. Nintendo’s ability to fulfill demand for the Switch will be challenged by the same global chip supply bottleneck that has troubled its rivals.

Rising software sales

Makers of NAND flash memory -- the media on which packaged Switch software is sold -- are preparing more units for the coming fiscal year than they supplied in the current one, the people involved in the supply chain said. Software developers similarly are prioritizing the Switch for their upcoming game releases as the console is almost certain to surpass the 100 million units sold threshold, assuring a large audience of potential customers

Should make for an interesting next Direct and bodes well for the Switch line-up for the second half of this year and beyond.

Much more at the source: Bloomberg

That marquee lineup is BOTW2 and. . .what exactly? We know it's not Metroid Prime 4ever at this point. Do they already have a new 3D Mario about ready to go? I doubt it, because Bowser's Fury seems like a prototype for it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, I'll believe the "series of marquee game releases" when I see it. I still don't believe we're getting BOTW2 in the next year. Maybe an Odyssey 2 that they announce very soon. No point in a new MK game yet and zero chance MP4 is near ready, what else is left? Donkey Kong maybe?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Unannounced games releasing this year? So that would be March 2020-March 2021. I’m taking that as “games in development we haven’t said are releasing this year”. Could that be Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, BOTW2? Maybe a new Mario Kart? Can’t think of anything else.

Last edited:

Aldric

That marquee lineup is BOTW2 and. . .what exactly? We know it's not Metroid Prime 4ever at this point. Do they already have a new 3D Mario about ready to go? I doubt it, because Bowser's Fury seems like a prototype for it.
Mario Kart 9, maybe a new Donkey Kong, Monolith Soft's new IP.

Woopah

Yeah, I'll believe the "series of marquee game releases" when I see it. I still don't believe we're getting BOTW2 in the next year. Maybe an Odyssey 2 that they announce very soon. No point in a new MK game yet and zero chance MP4 is near ready, what else is left? Donkey Kong maybe?

Unannounced games releasing this year? So that would be March 2020-March 2021. I’m taking that as “games in development we haven’t said are releasing this year”. Could that be Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, BOTW2? Maybe a new Mario Kart? Can’t think of anything else.
Yes this is fiscal year so between April 2021 and March 2022. So the lineup is likely to be something like:

Announced:
  • New Pokemon Snap
  • Famicom Detective Club remakes
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush
  • DC Super Hero Girls
  • Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
  • Pokemon Arceus Legends
  • BOTW2
  • Bayonetta 3
Yet to be announced:
  • 2D Metroid from MecurySteam
  • Donkey Kong from EPD 8
  • Super Mario Party 2
  • Fire Emblem 4: Geneology of the Holy War

+ports.

Of course there's a bunch more they could have (New Kirby, Monolithsoft's next game, etc.) but the likelihood is that some of those will come out in the following fiscal year.

Astral Dog

It might be developped by EAD Tokyo (the 3D Mario team) since their first game was Jungle Beat.
Yeah... No, i bet they are making Mario! 🤭

Thought i think NLG games would do a solid job with Donkey Kong 🤔 i believe Nintendo wants a dedicated DKC team but since Retro was known as the Metroid team and Other M flopped, that didn’t lasted.

I would love to see Metroid V wonder what happened 🥺

Yes this is fiscal year so between April 2021 and March 2022. So the lineup is likely to be something like:

Announced:
  • New Pokemon Snap
  • DC Super Hero Girls
  • Pokemon Arceus Legends
  • BOTW2
  • Bayonetta 3
Yet to be announced:
  • Donkey Kong from EPD 8
  • Super Mario Party 2

+ports.

Of course there's a bunch more they could have (New Kirby, Monolithsoft's next game, etc.) but the likelihood is that some of those will come out in the following fiscal year.

Fuck, how'd I miss a new 2D Metroid? That's fantastic.

Edit:

This is all I could find on a new 2D Metroid:

According to a noted industry insider, who has a strong track record for leaking first-party game plans, the unannounced title could be released later this year.

The report echoes earlier claims from another industry tipster in November, who suggested that Nintendo is working on a pair of Metroid titles for Nintendo Switch, in addition to Retro StudiosMetroid Prime 4.

The alleged titles were said to be the long-tipped Metroid Prime Trilogy HD release for Switch and a ‘Samus Returns-style’ remake of Super Metroid.

According to the latest report, the unannounced game could also be related to Game Boy Advance title Fusion, which takes place after the events of Super Metroid.

It's not really confirmed.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm all in for new Nintendo hardware. I still don't own a switch I'm waiting for a solid release date for botw2.

But what gets me is by combining their portables and consoles they are now making half the games they did before. Where is the 2d metronid game along with the new 3d one. The 2.5d zelda game like link between worlds besides botw2. I could go on and on.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Announced:
  • New Pokemon Snap
  • DC Super Hero Girls
  • Pokemon Arceus Legends
  • BOTW2
  • Bayonetta 3
Yet to be announced:
  • Donkey Kong from EPD 8
  • Super Mario Party 2

+ports.

A lot of those aren't even close to marquee titles, and a lot of those aren't even confirmed as existing. This list is borderline meaningless.

Woopah

Fuck, how'd I miss a new 2D Metroid? That's fantastic.

Edit:

This is all I could find on a new 2D Metroid:

It's not really confirmed.
Right, that's why its in the 'unannounced' list. As the article states, Nintendo has not announced its full lineup for the fiscal year yet so I'm taking a stab at what it could look like.
A lot of those aren't even close to marquee titles, and a lot of those aren't even confirmed as existing. This list is borderline meaningless.
It was my predictions for their next fiscal year lineup based on the rumours going around. Obviously not everything Nintendo publishes is going to be a marquee title, but I think my predicted list could have enough such titles to help hit that 250 million unit target.

AV

Right, that's why its in the 'unannounced' list. As the article states, Nintendo has not announced its full lineup for the fiscal year yet so I'm taking a stab at what it could look like.

It was my predictions for their next fiscal year lineup based on the rumours going around. Obviously not everything Nintendo publishes is going to be a marquee title, but I think my predicted list could have enough such titles to help hit that 250 million unit target.

The article is very specifically mentions marquee titles though, obviously there's going to be smaller ones, but that's what the article is talking about and what I said in the post you quoted. We don't have dates for anything yet.

Also, a game that some guy on the internet says is real is not "unannounced", it's just not a game. I could write a blog post about how Nintendo's 2021/2 rumoured lineup includes Hideo Kojima's P.T. and link it here, but it doesn't make it an unannounced game.

Last edited:
They should consider more DLC MK tracks. MK8 is amazing.

Aldric

Mario Kart 9 isn't coming this year or anytime until the next Nintendo console releases.
That's what I thought too but Splatoon 3 being announced so early made me reconsider, I thought they'd keep it for the Switch's successor but it'll release soon after the Pro so I think Mario Kart will be similar.

Woopah

The article is very specifically mentions marquee titles though, obviously there's going to be smaller ones, but that's what the article is talking about and what I said in the post you quoted. We don't have dates for anything yet.

Also, a game that some guy on the internet says is real is not "unannounced", it's just not a game. I could write a blog post about how Nintendo's 2021/2 rumoured lineup includes Hideo Kojima's P.T. and link it here, but it doesn't make it an unannounced game.
Its just a prediction/guess. I'm not trying to pretend that I know exactly what the line up is. I used that format to show what announced games could come out in the next fiscal year (like Bayonetta 3) and what unannounced games could come out (like 2D Metroid).

In terms of what counts as marquee, I'd say that the two Pokémon games (which are dated for the next fiscal year), BOTW2, DK and SMP2 would count as they all have the potential to do 8 million+.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
I'm all in for new Nintendo hardware. I still don't own a switch I'm waiting for a solid release date for botw2.

But what gets me is by combining their portables and consoles they are now making half the games they did before. Where is the 2d metronid game along with the new 3d one. The 2.5d zelda game like link between worlds besides botw2. I could go on and on.

No need to go on and on about something that as a non Switch owner has no real impact on you.

And as the platform holder, Nintendo are under literally zero pressure to release a sleuth of games. The hardware sells itself.

They can continue to release whatever they want when they want. Judging by the hardware and software sales and record profits, they’re doing just fine.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
No need to go on and on about something that as a non Switch owner has no real impact on you.

And as the platform holder, Nintendo are under literally zero pressure to release a sleuth of games. The hardware sells itself.

They can continue to release whatever they want when they want. Judging by the hardware and software sales and record profits, they’re doing just fine.

No one is going on and on about anything (it was a figure of speech). I completely understand that Nintendo can do whatever they want and they are doing just fine and even more than fine. I am also a Nintendo console and portable owner since 1986 except for the Switch, so I am just commenting on what I am looking for, more games, and based on their comment about streamlining portable and console divisions, you can see how we would assume they were going to be releasing more games.

Last edited:

Woopah

No one is going on and on about anything. I completely understand that Nintendo can do whatever they want and they are doing just fine and even more than fine. I am also a Nintendo console and portable owner since 1986 except for the Switch, so I am just commenting on what I am looking for, more games, and based on their comment about streamlining portable and console divisions, you can see how we would assume they were going to be releasing more games.
They are still one of if not the most prolific publishers in the industry (in most years anyway, 2020 was shit for them). Its just that games are now taking longer and longer to make. Even if we remove all the ports, the raw number of games that publish tends to be higher than what most other major publishers put out.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They are still one of if not the most prolific publishers in the industry (in most years anyway, 2020 was shit for them). Its just that games are now taking longer and longer to make. Even if we remove all the ports, the raw number of games that publish tends to be higher than what most other major publishers put out.

Ya its true. Its not just Nintendo, games just take a long time to make now.

One good thing is that with Nintendo games the games are usually always quality, so in the end its worth the wait.

Woopah

Ya its true. Its not just Nintendo, games just take a long time to make now.

One good thing is that with Nintendo games the games are usually always quality, so in the end its worth the wait.
Its the good thing about the Switch success for me. On GameCube Nintendo was under pressure to rush Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker to market. On Switch they can wait until the quality is right.

jdforge

Banned
No one is going on and on about anything. I completely understand that Nintendo can do whatever they want and they are doing just fine and even more than fine. I am also a Nintendo console and portable owner since 1986 except for the Switch, so I am just commenting on what I am looking for, more games, and based on their comment about streamlining portable and console divisions, you can see how we would assume they were going to be releasing more games.

Ok, it appears you do want to go on and on about it.

I could better understand your point of view if you actually owned a Switch. As a non Switch owner your commentary is somewhat invalid, as you haven’t realised the benefits of Switch ownership and how it’s duality and versatility brings new life and novelty to games you might already own on other platforms. Or it simply does not appeal to you at this point in time and maybe it never will.

Nintendo as a company are also able to change tactics to better suit and exploit market conditions, when they see fit. Not when you or anyone else feels it necessary to hold them to account for something they said at a point in time. They are a business in the business of making money.

Cast your mind back to their 3rd Pillar rhetoric ahead of Nintendo DS release. As soon as DS took off, they weren’t long changing the record to unification of their portable and home console studios.

I’m sure they’ll change again whenever market conditions or the next trend either forces them or carries them to another problem/solution/failure/success.

But in the current climate the fact remains Nintendo are under no pressure to increase their output (and costs) at developing more games than they are already. They are under even less pressure to release games the way you or anyone else wants them too.

Nintendo is always going to Nintendo. I believe that’s the one thing that won’t change about them.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I could better understand your point of view if you actually owned a Switch. As a non Switch owner your commentary is somewhat invalid, as you haven’t realised the benefits of Switch ownership and how it’s duality and versatility brings new life and novelty to games you might already own on other platforms. Or it simply does not appeal to you at this point in time and maybe it never will.

Nintendo as a company are also able to change tactics to better suit and exploit market conditions, when they see fit. Not when you or anyone else feels it necessary to hold them to account for something they said at a point in time. They are a business in the business of making money.

Cast your mind back to their 3rd Pillar rhetoric ahead of Nintendo DS release. As soon as DS took off, they weren’t long changing the record to unification of their portable and home console studios.

I’m sure they’ll change again whenever market conditions or the next trend either forces them or carries them to another problem/solution/failure/success.

But in the current climate the fact remains Nintendo are under no pressure to increase their output (and costs) at developing more games than they are already. They are under even less pressure to release games the way you or anyone else wants them too.

Nintendo is always going to Nintendo. I believe that’s the one thing that won’t change about them.

I agree 100% with this last sentence. This is clear. I also understand they arent beholden to me or anyone else other than their shareholders.

I dont agree that I have to own a Switch to have an opinion. I am a Nintendo fan and Im not saying "fuck Nintendo", I am just saying what I would like, as a point of discussion.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's perfectly legitimate to question Nintendo's output, especially in 2020. You don't have to be a Switch owner to want more from them.

jdforge

Banned
It's perfectly legitimate to question Nintendo's output, especially in 2020. You don't have to be a Switch owner to want more from them.

It’s fine to have an opinion.

But an informed opinion, from first hand experience, always carries more weight and legitimacy. Also helps when opinions are formed from real world and market conditions in which Nintendo are operating, rather than personal bias.

Like every content creator in the world, 2020 was an exceptionally difficult year. But sure, let’s call out Nintendo for not releasing all the games you want to play or to the frequency that you’d like, during a worldwide pandemic. Sounds a fair and reasonable opinion.

Nintendo know their business and this industry pretty well. If they are nesting completed games I’m willing to bet they have strategic reasons for doing so.

if they’ve reduced the amount of games currently in development or delayed development of certain games, again I’m sure there’s very good reasons for both.

They’re a risk conscious company, in the business of making money. A point that seems to get lost when people try to understand or have opinions on why Nintendo aren’t pandering to their every whim, wish and desire on an individual basis.

One of the main reasons for their current success is due to their unwavering nerve to just be Nintendo and do their own thing.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s fine to have an opinion.

But an informed opinion, from first hand experience, always carries more weight and legitimacy. Also helps when opinions are formed from real world and market conditions in which Nintendo are operating, rather than personal bias.

Like every content creator in the world, 2020 was an exceptionally difficult year. But sure, let’s call out Nintendo for not releasing all the games you want to play or to the frequency that you’d like, during a worldwide pandemic. Sounds a fair and reasonable opinion.

Nintendo know their business and this industry pretty well. If they are nesting completed games I’m willing to bet they have strategic reasons for doing so.

if they’ve reduced the amount of games currently in development or delayed development of certain games, again I’m sure there’s very good reasons for both.

They’re a risk conscious company, in the business of making money. A point that seems to get lost when people try to understand or have opinions on why Nintendo aren’t pandering to their every whim, wish and desire on an individual basis.

One of the main reasons for their current success is due to their unwavering nerve to just be Nintendo and do their own thing.
Nintendo also has a history of blowing their load early, followed by extended stretches of game drought.

Also their last system (Wii U) did so poorly it’s a miracle they even survived. GameCube also did pretty horribly (sold even less than the original Xbox) and 3DS started out so bad they had to do a $70 price cut and apologize to those who bought it at launch.

You must have a pretty short/selective memory if your attitude is “hey guys Nintendo knows what they’re doing, let’s trust them.” There have been just as many times where they’ve done everything wrong to the point where it almost looked like they were deliberately committing seppuku.

Top Bottom