• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg reports that Index (Atlus) sale could be decided within the month (details)

duckroll

http://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/123-MQVZXW6JIJUX01.html

There's a small update on the status of Index's search for a buyer. Sources close to the matter have disclosed to Bloomberg that there are about 20 companies who have expressed interest in taking over Index's businesses, including Sega Sammy Holdings. The bids in the recent tender apparently went up to 200 million dollars, exceeding the previously expected 150 million value. Potential candidates for the sale are expected to be narrowed down by next week, and if things go well a deal could be closed within this month.

9aw15Uw.jpg

gngf123

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Sega Sammy getting them, but glad that there seems to be plenty of interest.

I wonder who the other 19 are.

Personally, I'd rather see CEOs of the bidding companies go through an American Gladiators style obstacle course to acquire Atlus. I'm also financially irresponsible.

Pooya

uh, let's hope Segasammy doesn't get anything.... it will only end in tears.

SMT Total War could be neat though...

Usobuko

Banned
億 should be 100 millions but google translate has it at one billion. Let see who's the one who bided ~$200 million for Atlus.

K.Sabot

I pray for Sega's failure.

Persona 5 never coming to America, but only if we make multiple petitions and get on our knees and beg.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Persona 5 for iOS/Android! Chie's Card Challenge! Raidou Kazunoha vs. Pachiko!

Sorry, I'm still a bit gutted after today. =/

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yeah, great owner. If you live in Japan. Sega buys Atlus and then keeps it in Japan forever alongside the Yakuza games.

....Or the pre-existing niche localization company, Atlus USA, leads to more Sega games coming overseas. Not sure why Sega buying them = Atlus USA ceasing to exist.

Pooya

if Segasammy buys them, first thing they do is axing ATLUS USA, like how they already fired everyone in Sega west ....

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
....Or the pre-existing niche localization company, Atlus USA, leads to more Sega games coming overseas. Not sure why Sega buying them = Atlus USA ceasing to exist.

Given the current SEGA status, I think this is one of the few cases of aquisition where Atlus USA not only would be sure to stay alive, but would be even more valorized.

Still, I root for Gung-Ho.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't agree. I don't think it's a good mix, but we'll see what happens. I personally doubt Sega Sammy will win the tender.
Who knows how it would shape up. I doubt Sammy will win it either. It'll probably either be a holding company or unrelated business that 99% of international gamers haven't heard of.

AniHawk

i'm not sure why they'd be cool with having two american localization branches after they gutted the one they already have. i hope gung ho or another company without a us branch ends up with them.

Usobuko

Banned
Isn't one of things people want is for European publishing arm so that Atlus games can come over without delay?

Yeah, great owner. If you live in Japan. Sega buys Atlus and then keeps it in Japan forever alongside the Yakuza games.

At least Atlus will continue to exist with Sega buying them. What happens if Gung Ho get them, clear out their cash and Puzzles and Dragons goes off the boil? Atlus goes up for sale again. This way they have a secure future at least, which is important.

I think GREE or DeNa are also probably looking as well.

My money would still be on Tencent Holdings.

Almighty

Will be interesting for sure. Hopefully who ever gets them doesn't mess things up for them too much. I am really hoping Persona 5 is announced before I grow old and die.

Capcom = Sega = SQEX = Konami
These companies will destroy Atlus and reduce them to Social Mobile nonsense.
After the BOF 6 fiasco I'd rather Atlus be owned by a hardware maker or a company that still care for making quality games.

Takao

Banned
i'm not sure why they'd be cool with having two american localization branches after they gutted the one they already have. i hope gung ho or another company without a us branch ends up with them.

Gungho opened a US branch last year.

Almighty

Why would Sega Sammy be a bad thing? Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive and Relic seem fine.

That's my thinking as well. They seem to be doing good by their PC developers, but I admit I haven't paid much attention to what they have done in the console/handheld space.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sega would only be good for potentially opening the doors to PC, but with their shift away from the retail market I doubt they'd let them keep making so many games. I hope it's GungHo and they let them keep running as they did before just like Acquire.

Top Bottom