• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Star Wars Is Struggling to Win Over the Next Generation of Kids

New Star Wars has no good characters. At least, there is nothing there that I would have found cool as a young (white) boy.
I do think some of the Empires troops look very good, but as cannon fodder, they lack personality.

He went from Luke Skywalker to Luke Skyfocker.
robert de niro GIF

Salz01

It’s still hard for me to comprehend how bad Disney fucked up with this IP. I know that Iger seemed to take some of the responsibility for it, but he isn’t to blame. He had so much under his umbrella to take care of. I want to like it, but just can’t watch the new movies anymore. Don’t blame it on the kids, they are smart, they don’t like watching dog shit.

HarryKS

Maybe because they're not focusing enough on the cool shit like Force Powers and Jedis and Siths and making side-movies about rebels and pilots and shit.

Kids want power levels. No kid wants to watch people running around smuggling stuff when there's people who can shoot electricity from their hands and know 77 different types of saber-kata.

highrider

Banned
Yeah I mean they fail at the most basic aspects of writing. Your protagonist has to have an arc of character development. You can’t just be perfect and do everything right all the time. Nobody relates to that. But of course politically you can’t have women be imperfect so here we are.

sol_bad

Yeah I mean they fail at the most basic aspects of writing. Your protagonist has to have an arc of character development. You can’t just be perfect and do everything right all the time. Nobody relates to that. But of course politically you can’t have women be imperfect so here we are.

I guess male characters getting all their character development and learning powers off screen is OK though?

highrider

Banned
I guess male characters getting all their character development and learning powers off screen is OK though?
Well in the case of Star Wars ( the subject of the thread ) these struggles were not off screen. Luke in particular was deeply flawed, immature and openly struggled with just about everything. Of course if you’re trying just to find a misogynistic lean to what I posted I think that’s a stretch, but that’s me. It’s a movie industry issue in blockbusters imo.

The Critical Drinker expertly illustrates why these characters don’t resonate with anyone.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Following star wars shows have been leaked
  • Spin off with Jar² copying Curb Your Ethusiasm
  • Mockumentary with General Hux
  • Cooking with Obi Wan with special force ghost guests
  • C3P0 is aide to a President but in the style of Veep
  • Mace Windu and Jedi apprentice Jonu Travolta as cops

Last edited:

sol_bad

Well in the case of Star Wars ( the subject of the thread ) these struggles were not off screen. Luke in particular was deeply flawed, immature and openly struggled with just about everything. Of course if you’re trying just to find a misogynistic lean to what I posted I think that’s a stretch, but that’s me. It’s a movie industry issue in blockbusters imo.

The Critical Drinker expertly illustrates why these characters don’t resonate with anyone.

Luke perfectly blew up the Death Star with no trouble and with no training, he was able to use the force with no issues. Sure, he needed Han to "save" him against Darth Vader but that was not Luke himself struggling against anything.

Between episode 4 and 5 his friendship with Han and Leia grew of screen.
Then between episode 5 and 6 he gained all of his magical powers off screen.

Rei does struggle at the end of episode 7, she doesn't annihilate Kylo. He had to actually be severely wounded by 2 other characters. And Rei is shown at the start of the film that she has melee combat skills which makes sense since she is a surviving scavenger. If someone can happily suspend disbelief and accept that Luke can go from joy riding in a T-16 Skyhopper to becoming an expert dog fighter in the battle of Yavin, they should be able to accept Rei going from a staff type weapon to a sword type weapon.
No one complains about how easily Kylo Ren defeats Snoke, (they complained about him being beaten easily, not that Kylo did it) but if it would have been Rei who did the same thing, people would have surely complained about her doing it.

I don't like the Critical Drinkers videos, I think he just knows his target audience and knows how to make money.

Dazrael

At least Luke does have a semblance of training and a mentor with Obi-Wan in A New Hope, Rey worked it all out for herself and beat one of the most adept dark side users in the galaxy in the process.

She then proceeds to put up with mopey Luke Skywalker and then decides to ditch his “training” and once again go solo to save the day. Remember that Luke ditched Yoda’s training too and look where that got him.

She then finally gets some decent training but bails yet again to defeat the most powerful dark side user ever known and adopts the name and legacy of people she barely even knows.

Luke loses his uncle and aunt, loses his home, loses his mentor, loses Biggs, gets severely mauled by a Wampa, has his best friend tortured and captured, loses his hand, finds out his father is the most evil being in the universe, realises that he isn’t really that good with the Force at all, loses another mentor, gets tortured and humiliated by the Emperor and loses his Dad. And all this happens on-screen. But he doesn’t have any hardship, no struggle whatsoever.

In comparison Rey’s “struggle” is a walk in the park, it doesn’t feel like a Hero’s story. It just doesn’t feel earned. Luke’s final shot into the Death Star is his first step on the path to becoming a Jedi. He wants to follow in his Father’s footsteps, it’s symbolic. Conversely Rey says in TLJ that she is “just trying to find her place in all this”. If she had to ask that question then why is she there in the first place?

Last edited:

Catphish

Hot damn. "Expertly" is absolutely right. I just watched that, and part 2, and I'd say it's probably the best summation of this intergalactic dumpster fire that I've ever seen. His closing thoughts at the end of part 2 are fucking perfect. 🎯

Gp1

New Star Wars has no good characters. At least, there is nothing there that I would have found cool as a young (white) boy.

It has good new characters.
The 3 best new characters that Disney introduced are the hispanic/white bounty hunter that barely show his face, the misogynistic "pro republican" white female space ranger that Disney fired after 4 hours of TV time and the cute green alien rehashed from the prequels/ot.
Considering only the movies, the closest thing we got to a good well developed character is Kilo Ren (and maybe Krennic, both villains)

Way to go Lucas Film :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Salz01

I did like the back story of Finn. It seemed like a cool concept to have an ordinary storm trooper go to the good side. The execution stunk though. Especially in the second and third film. The character went no where.

Gp1

I did like the back story of Finn. It seemed like a cool concept to have an ordinary storm trooper go to the good side. The execution stunk though. Especially in the second and third film. The character went no where.

Seeing from his interviews after the trilogy ended, he probably gave Disney some headaches when they were filming. That's probably what happened between the first and the second film.

Amiga

Luke perfectly blew up the Death Star with no trouble and with no training, he was able to use the force with no issues. Sure, he needed Han to "save" him against Darth Vader but that was not Luke himself struggling against anything.

Rei does struggle at the end of episode 7, she doesn't annihilate Kylo. He had to actually be severely wounded by 2 other characters. And Rei is shown at the start of the film that she has melee combat skills which makes sense since she is a surviving scavenger. If someone can happily suspend disbelief and accept that Luke can go from joy riding in a T-16 Skyhopper to becoming an expert dog fighter in the battle of Yavin, they should be able to accept Rei going from a staff type weapon to a sword type weapon.
No one complains about how easily Kylo Ren defeats Snoke, (they complained about him being beaten easily, not that Kylo did it) but if it would have been Rei who did the same thing, people would have surely complained about her doing it.

I don't like the Critical Drinkers videos, I think he just knows his target audience and knows how to make money.

Obiwan connected Luke to the force at the start of a New Hope. but he wasn't good enough to fight a force user until the 3rd movie. he tried and lost in the 2nd.

the DS was already compromised in Rouge One. the rebels did the hard work in planning for the attack many X-wings were drawing fire. the rest was simple for a Jedi. just pull the trigger at the right time. it only required one decision.

IMOO power levels weren't the worst thing about the new movies. a big issue was the lack of world building. there was hardly any new realized settings. they didn't create the sense of place that would make your imagination linger in it. the DS wreckage was the closest they got.

and the worst thing was the copy paste plot. the dumbest thing ever done .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
and the worst thing was the copy paste plot. the dumbest thing ever done .
By the end of the movie, I honestly thought to myself if this movie a continuation of the saga or a remake of the oldies with a character twist to make it its own style (like how Spiderman movies get remade a million times when a new director takes over).

Exact same plot as 40 years ago.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member

He got nerfed for the next two movies because he was too popular and as a male character he could not be seen as more popular or equal to Kennedy's feminist power fantasy Ray.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He got nerfed for the next two movies because he was too popular and as a male character he could not be seen as more popular or equal to Kennedy's feminist power fantasy Ray.
It can be that.

But also, it could be the main good guy in a SW movie has to be a light saber swinging Jedi.

You'd think an ex-stormtrooper would be the ultimate anti-evil asset, but the hero has to be a swordfighter with neon swords and magic abilities.

You could have every Dark Force soldier and Death Star turning on Darth Vader or Adam Driver so it's 10 million vs. 1, but it wont matter. Only Luke Skywalker or Ray can finish the job.

MrA

Banned
At least Luke does have a semblance of training and a mentor with Obi-Wan in A New Hope, Rey worked it all out for herself and beat one of the most adept dark side users in the galaxy in the process.

She then proceeds to put up with mopey Luke Skywalker and then decides to ditch his “training” and once again go solo to save the day. Remember that Luke ditched Yoda’s training too and look where that got him.

She then finally gets some decent training but bails yet again to defeat the most powerful dark side user ever known and adopts the name and legacy of people she barely even knows.

Luke loses his uncle and aunt, loses his home, loses his mentor, loses Biggs, gets severely mauled by a Wampa, has his best friend tortured and captured, loses his hand, finds out his father is the most evil being in the universe, realises that he isn’t really that good with the Force at all, loses another mentor, gets tortured and humiliated by the Emperor and loses his Dad. And all this happens on-screen. But he doesn’t have any hardship, no struggle whatsoever.

In comparison Rey’s “struggle” is a walk in the park, it doesn’t feel like a Hero’s story. It just doesn’t feel earned. Luke’s final shot into the Death Star is his first step on the path to becoming a Jedi. He wants to follow in his Father’s footsteps, it’s symbolic. Conversely Rey says in TLJ that she is “just trying to find her place in all this”. If she had to ask that question then why is she there in the first place?
well, ray required a new character arc, started out awesome, continued being awesome and ended up being awesome, unfortunately for Kathleen Kennedy that makes a shallow uninteresting character.

I think the uglified Kelly Marie Tran in the movies because couldn't have someone on screen that looks better than her proxy.

carlosrox

Banned
They burst out laughing at the epic kick at the end of The Karate Kid. I cried inside.

They laughed when a soldier got blown up at the beginning of Dunkirk. I had to remind them WW2 was a thing.

Yup. Sounds about right.

This overly quippy, sarcastic shit has really ruined a lot of movies and games these days.

People are conditioned to just laugh at everything thanks to crap like the MCU, Family Guy, etc.

I have a friend (typical grew up with Family Guy and not Classic Simpsons type) who also seems to think everything he sees in movies or games is silly or something to be laughed at, it's super fucking annoying.

Interfectum

Someday the world will discover Star Wars simply isn't that interesting outside of the OT and they can only milk the OT for so long until the well goes completely dry. Also, most kids don't give a fuck about the OT.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Someday the world will discover Star Wars simply isn't that interesting outside of the OT and they can only milk the OT for so long until the well goes completely dry. Also, most kids don't give a fuck about the OT.
Even one 2/3rds of the OT is any good

I wonder if some big name directors would be willing to make a star wars movie, and if Disney would let them have free reign without needing to tie it into a cohesive universe. Kind of like what DC is doing (Joker, different Batman movies, etc.). What Marvel is doing is remarkable, but not every freaking franchise needs to be interconnected.

mcjmetroid

We all has good times with star wars when we were little but ittsssss over.

It had plenty of chances to revive itself in the movies.

Kenpachii

I wonder if some big name directors would be willing to make a star wars movie, and if Disney would let them have free reign without needing to tie it into a cohesive universe. Kind of like what DC is doing (Joker, different Batman movies, etc.). What Marvel is doing is remarkable, but not every freaking franchise needs to be interconnected.

Just watch mandalorian the real star wars sequel. the movies are dog shit.

sol_bad

My god, some of the comments in here are amazing. Some people really think the world is out to get them right?

Gp1

Someday the world will discover Star Wars simply isn't that interesting outside of the OT and they can only milk the OT for so long until the well goes completely dry.

That's not even the point. Star Wars lived for almost 20 years on the back of the expanded universe.
Disney killed/rewrote the EU, for the most part, with a bad trilogy and some half assed crossmedia content. Ok, that sounded like a good idea at the time, but they screwed up hard at the basis.

Salz01

I doubt it. I still wonder and am curious what went down with the original directors of Solo and The last Jedi. There was falling out, but it’s all so vague. Probably because of NDAs, but I really want to know.

Ulysses 31

Blowing up the Death Star was far from an easy undertaking that costed lives and that Luke couldn't done alone, why are you trying to characterize it was something Luke could've pulled off effortlessly?
The original trilogy spans over 7ish years making character growths in between easier to sell, in the sequel trilogy it's barely (over?) a year.
Rei does struggle at the end of episode 7, she doesn't annihilate Kylo. He had to actually be severely wounded by 2 other characters. And Rei is shown at the start of the film that she has melee combat skills which makes sense since she is a surviving scavenger.
Kylo was established as having a lot a training and he still got beat by someone who never held a light sabre before and he has no where near crippled from his fights before.
If someone can happily suspend disbelief and accept that Luke can go from joy riding in a T-16 Skyhopper to becoming an expert dog fighter in the battle of Yavin, they should be able to accept Rei going from a staff type weapon to a sword type weapon.
Why would it be a stretch that Luke became a better rebel fighter in the years off screen compared to Rey that can do many things like learn swords and defeat a sword master, understand Wookie, fix and fly ships, Jedi mindtricks, etc in one movie?

Snoke was shown to dominate her with his force powers that rendered her powerless, if somehow Rey still defeated Snoke under those conditions, of course people could complain about that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom