• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blu-ray 360 on store shelves? tomorrow you say? RUMOUR, you say? my stars

Microsoft Plans Blu-ray 360, Due In May!!!

Quote:
Rumours were circulating today that Microsoft is set to dump HD DVD and bring out a Blu ray Xbox 360 by as early as May 2008. The move will allow the Company to go head to head with the Sony PS3 gaming console which has been credited with being one of the main reasons that retailers have preferred Blu ray over Toshiba’s HD DVD.
Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft have already configured a standalone Blu ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months.

The Company has also been working on a built in Blu ray player however insiders are claiming that Microsoft see the HD format battle moving online with consumers offered 1080p movie and content files as a download as opposed to having to buy a HD or Blu ray DVD.

Both Intel and Microsoft have been supporters of the HD DVD format that is set to be killed off this week.

Quote:
The Company has also held discussions with several OEM manufacturers of media centres with nearly all of them telling the software Company that they are set to move to Blu ray configured Media Centres within the next month.

Late last week US Media Centre maker Niveus dumped HD DVD in favour of Blu ray.

The Company VP of marketing Brian Paper said that Niveus had received support from Microsoft and Intel when implementing HD DVD. The format wasn't pushed on Niveus, he said, adding that the commitment in both Intel and Microsoft "isn't religious For HD DVD".
LINK: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/J7L7H2R4

Dunlop

Might explain the weird shortages...or might be people just making shit up again.

Either way, MS you better announce it before april as that is when I am going to pick up a PS3

...oh yeah make it wireless as my living room doesn't have a cable running to it......or I'm still getting a PS3:D

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Microsoft will probably invest in Blu-Ray at some point, but this upcoming May seems like a big stretch.

harSon

Banned
Whats hard to believe? Why wouldn't Microsoft attempt to match one of the Playstation 3's only superiorities?

Dali

I don't think this would steal too many potential PS3 customers by itself. I mean if Blu Ray was a consideration and I had to choose would I want the all-in-one PS3 or the 360 with tacky add-on for a comparable price?

Andy787

Banned
If this ever happens, how can Microsoft live that down? They'll basically be validating everything their direct competition has stood for since the competition began.

Vgamer

Andy787 said:
If this ever happens, how can Microsoft live that down? They'll basically be validating everything their direct competition has stood for since the competition began.

Hey if you cant beat them join them!

Dunlop

Dali said:
I don't think this would steal too many potential PS3 users by itself. I mean if Blu Ray was a consideration and I had to choose would I want the all-in-one PS3 or the 360 with tacky add-on for a comparable price?

I agree, the Addon was remotely appealing back when the players were $1000. Nobody is gonna pay $200 for one now.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Andy787 said:

more money is a good thing, no?

Dunlop

Andy787 said:

It would be another SKU, so they are still giving the consumer the option. Something that bit Sony in the ass in the first year.

still can't say I believe this runor

Mrbob

I hope this is true. Egg on MS face would be epic.

Andy787 said:

Sean

Banned
This is crap rumor from smarthouse, same site that said internal HD-DVD drive for 360 (and some other BS rumors about Apple too).

ntb825

Andy787 said:
You can pretty much bet that they'll present it as "just another option for Xbox 360 customers"

Welcome to the fucking social.

or Jump in

or whatever the fuck it is

SpacLock

I already have a Blu-Ray player in my PS3. I also believe in digital downloads rather then a hard format.

I'M SO CONFUSED. PENETRATE ME! BLU-RAY! PENETRATE ME!

Vgamer

DrForester said:
regardless of if it's smart or not.

Could Sony NOT license this to Microsoft if they saw it as a threat?

I dont think they could do that legally. Even Toshiba, the creators of HD-DVD are going to be making Blu Ray players sometime soon so if they can then surely Microsoft can.

Top Bottom