Blu-ray and HD DVD owners - Look here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
#7
The Onkyo 604 was a great receiver. The 605 should be no less. Onkyo will also offer the 705 with THX processing so if you want more power and THX peace of mind, get that. More expensive though.
 
#9
Yeah, Onkyo is coming out with a massive new lineup HDMI 1.3 recievers... i'm either going with this or the 705, which adds another HDMI-in (3-in; 1-out)...
 

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
#11
Wow. I was *this* close to pulling the trigger on a Panasonic digital receiver. I'll consider this one . I really do appreciate the digital receiver's small form factor though.
 
#13
DarkJediKnight said:
No catch. Onkyo's philosophy on the TX SR line is, the masses will make up for the lower price.
Well then thanks for the heads up.

I used to have an Onkyo (maybe same series) and it was a good receiver, though I moved up to a nice Harman Kardon refurb after that. But I've really been looking for an HDMI receiver so I can watch my Blu-rays (**** you X360 player with only optical out) in 5.1 uncompressed instead of 2.0 (which is what I'm doing through optical atm), and at $400, this is really tempting.

Will keep an eye on it.
 

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
#14
Wow, excellent. Doubt there's a catch; my onkyo 604 performs admirably, and if I didn't already have that I'd definitely get this one. This should pretty much have everything most people need in a receiver.
 

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
#15
We're upgrading our family room stuff this year at the end of the year with a HDTV purchase, new receiver, and other components, and this looks like it's got strong potential of being our new receiver.
 
#16
catch is, TrueHD is pointless because HDDVDs are encoded in a way that prevents players from outputting the bitstream to be decoded in such a receiver.

DTS-MA is the only real catch, but thats with the caveat that the discs enable the bitstream to be sent out.

For now I'd temper your dancing in the street and keep an eye out for the players to be updated to support MA - most already support TrueHD.
 
#19
mrklaw said:
catch is, TrueHD is pointless because HDDVDs are encoded in a way that prevents players from outputting the bitstream to be decoded in such a receiver.

DTS-MA is the only real catch, but thats with the caveat that the discs enable the bitstream to be sent out.

For now I'd temper your dancing in the street and keep an eye out for the players to be updated to support MA - most already support TrueHD.
So uh, how are you supposed to listen to TrueHD tracks on HD-DVDs? Does the standalone player have to decode it and output PCM to the receiver over an HDMI cable or something?
 
#25
mckmas8808 said:
So the Receiver -> TV uses the receiver's an HDMI out? While the PS3 -> Receiver uses the receiver's HDMI IN?
Plug PS3 into one of the receiver's HDMI-in connectors and your TV to the receiver's HDMI-out connector.
 

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
#26
Are you serious??!? I've been looking to replace my Yamaha receiver (which is awesome, but lacks Component connectors) with something better. This thing would be :eek:

I'd keep my Yamaha speakers of course. Hrmm. Yamaha better come out with something this good so it matches my equipment.

Someone have a picture of the back of this receiver?
 
#27
Will this thing convert any kind of signal (composite, component, s-video) to HDMI? If so, I am very interested. I have a huge mass of cables going into my projector right now, that I'd love to simplify.
 

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
#29
I was just thinking about upgrading to a HDMI based reciever :lol :D
 
#30
Ok, the PDF is available for download in a post at AVS. Apparently, the 605 will output any of the inputs out of the HDMI, but it will not upscale them.
 
#34
suffah said:
That $399 pricetag is for pre-orders only...so don't wait too long if you plan on getting one.
OTOH it's not really a good idea to jump on receivers right when they come out as they tend to have glitches and its best to see what issues the receiver has and then decide whether they will effect you.
 
#35
Bebpo said:
So uh, how are you supposed to listen to TrueHD tracks on HD-DVDs? Does the standalone player have to decode it and output PCM to the receiver over an HDMI cable or something?

yes. The player has to do the decoding and output either LPCM over HDMI, or analog multichannel if it has the necessary outputs/DACs.
 
#36
mrklaw said:
yes. The player has to do the decoding and output either LPCM over HDMI, or analog multichannel if it has the necessary outputs/DACs.
:(

Any chance that the X360 Elite combined with the X360 HD-DVD player will decode TrueHD Audio and pass it to the receiver through LPCM over HDMI?
 
#37
Bebpo - Unfortunately no chance unless they make a last minute redesign of the Xbox. They've already confirmed that the HDMI out doesn't send/decode/or pass any audio.

My guess is that it's because the vid chipset is feeding the HDMI with no tie into the audio processing of the 360.

This news made me a sad panda.
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
#39
Ned Flanders said:
All that, upscales to HDMI, and it's $500???? F*cking awesome..
Sony has a 1.3 receiver coming out for $399 (MSRP) ... pretty sure it does HDMI upconversion.



MrPonx said:
what does "upscales to HDMI" means?
upscaling/upconversion usually means transcoding. ie. all of your video, whether hooked up via composite, s-video, component, or HDMI will be outputtable via HDMI.

This does not change the resolution however (though many include a de-interlacer since a lot of TV's will not accept 480i via HDMI).



Bebpo said:
:(

Any chance that the X360 Elite combined with the X360 HD-DVD player will decode TrueHD Audio and pass it to the receiver through LPCM over HDMI?

No ... and that's why a lot of us (a/v-philes) are pissed.
 
#42
EviLore said:
Wow, excellent. Doubt there's a catch; my onkyo 604 performs admirably, and if I didn't already have that I'd definitely get this one. This should pretty much have everything most people need in a receiver.
I have the 604 as well, and recommend it to anyone... This new unit will be even better... and if that preorder is at $400, jump on that... Onkyo makes some really respectable gear, and this is from a Denon fanboy...
 
#43
MrPonx said:
what does "upscales to HDMI" means?
Upscale means all your connections (component, S-video etc..) gets re-routed to the HDMI output, so you only need 1 cable going to your display.

However, it's not the same as upconversion. The higher Onkyo models (905, etc) will upconvert everything to 1080p using the Recon chip. So if you have your PS2 connected to the receiver by component and plug the 905 receiver you your tv with HDMI, then your PS2 image will be upconverted to 1080p.

On the 605 or 705, your PS2 image will come out of HDMI at 480p.

The recon chip is a phenominal upconverter.
 
#45
OH SHITS X2......Onkyo 875 and 905 have Silicon Optix Realta HQV chip onboard!!! @_@





i said wow....




How much wow?



The 875/905 could make so-so cheapy HDTVs a viable alternative since they skimp on the scaler/deinterlacer chip........

With the Onkyo's you would bypass that crap and just use the Reon chip in the reciever to handle scaling/deinterlacing of ALL your sources!!!


Can I say wow again?
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
#47
Kleegamefan said:
OH SHITS X2......Onkyo 875 and 905 have Silicon Optix Realta HQV chip onboard!!! @_@





i said wow....




How much wow?



The 875/905 could make so-so cheapy HDTVs a viable alternative since they skimp on the scaler/deinterlacer chip........

With the Onkyo's you would bypass that crap and just use the Reon chip in the reciever to handle scaling/deinterlacing of ALL your sources!!!


Can I say wow again?
Pull out the amp and throw in Audyssey MultEQ XT and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
 
#48
Onix... you better check your heartbeat because the 875 & 905 both have Audyssey MultiEQXT and the 905 has what sounds to be a kick ass amp with separate transformers for audio and video. No published specs but I'm guessing somewhere north of 120watts/channel x 7 or 9 with very low THD.

Check out the .pdf available over at AVS for more info on all the specs.

The 905 IS the deal of video and audio processing we've all been waiting for - especially considering it'll street sub $1700 with any luck.

This is what I said in the other thread about the 905:

Actually, the new Onkyo 905 seems like a steal of a deal. It'll have Reon video processing and upscaling and transcode everything to be output over one of its two HDMI outputs. For those that don't know, the Reon is the 2nd best overall video processing chip around and it's arguably the best or equal to the Realta up to 1080p.

Just think of the joy of having two rooms with HDMI devices running off of a single bank of equipment.... drool. Only having to deal with one PSTrips, XboxenRounden, Wii, and HDDVD player makes this one the receiver to beat. The fact that I can have my homt theater room with projector and computer room with stand along HDTV both share source devices makes me HAWT.

Onkyo - you just got $2k of my loot.
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
#49
JediMasterMatt said:
Onix... you better check your heartbeat because the 875 & 905 both have Audyssey MultiEQXT and the 905 has what sounds to be a kick ass amp with separate transformers for audio and video. No published specs but I'm guessing somewhere north of 120watts/channel x 7 or 9 with very low THD.

Check out the .pdf available over at AVS for more info on all the specs.

The 905 IS the deal of video and audio processing we've all been waiting for - especially considering it'll street sub $1700 with any luck.

This is what I said in the other thread about the 905:

Actually, the new Onkyo 905 seems like a steal of a deal. It'll have Reon video processing and upscaling and transcode everything to be output over one of its two HDMI outputs. For those that don't know, the Reon is the 2nd best overall video processing chip around and it's arguably the best or equal to the Realta up to 1080p.

Just think of the joy of having two rooms with HDMI devices running off of a single bank of equipment.... drool. Only having to deal with one PSTrips, XboxenRounden, Wii, and HDDVD player makes this one the receiver to beat. The fact that I can have my homt theater room with projector and computer room with stand along HDTV both share source devices makes me HAWT.

Onkyo - you just got $2k of my loot.
Interesting ... it will definitely be on my list.

I could care less about the amp section, as I have separates ... but if a receiver gives me the sound and features I want (versus a comparable pre/pro), I certainly will consider it.


Right now, the upcoming Sherwood-based platform (Sherwood Newcastle, Emotiva, Outlaw (probably), others?) is on the top of my list.

Others include this Onkyo, as well as Sony ES. I think by the end of the year we'll see a lot of HDMI 1.3 units out, with others being spec'd though ... so it's probably worth it to wait for some reviews.
 
#50
JediMasterMatt said:
Onix... you better check your heartbeat because the 875 & 905 both have Audyssey MultiEQXT and the 905 has what sounds to be a kick ass amp with separate transformers for audio and video. No published specs but I'm guessing somewhere north of 120watts/channel x 7 or 9 with very low THD.

Check out the .pdf available over at AVS for more info on all the specs.

The 905 IS the deal of video and audio processing we've all been waiting for - especially considering it'll street sub $1700 with any luck.

This is what I said in the other thread about the 905:

Actually, the new Onkyo 905 seems like a steal of a deal. It'll have Reon video processing and upscaling and transcode everything to be output over one of its two HDMI outputs. For those that don't know, the Reon is the 2nd best overall video processing chip around and it's arguably the best or equal to the Realta up to 1080p.

Just think of the joy of having two rooms with HDMI devices running off of a single bank of equipment.... drool. Only having to deal with one PSTrips, XboxenRounden, Wii, and HDDVD player makes this one the receiver to beat. The fact that I can have my homt theater room with projector and computer room with stand along HDTV both share source devices makes me HAWT.

Onkyo - you just got $2k of my loot.


It is so much more than that!!!


What if you are intrested in a Panasonic Plasma but realise it doesnt properly deinterlace 1080i sources:


OR

A Westinghouse/Vizio 1080p is in your budget but that would mean you sacrifice SD performance because the internal processing in both those TVs SUXXORZ....


PROBLEM SOLVED WITH THE 875/905!!! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.