• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Blimblim

The Inside Track
If it's not too much asking, could one of you guys do a quick translation of the main menu of the game? Just this one:
bdmenu.jpg

Jonnyram

Blimblim said:
If it's not too much asking, could one of you guys do a quick translation of the main menu of the game? Just this one:
bdmenu.jpg
It's a bit small, but:
Status
Shadow
Skill
Equipment
Heal
Magic
Item
Formation
Warp
Config
Save

Then across the bottom:
A = select
B = close
LBRB = change leader?
Back = end game

SpokkX

Really interested to see how the Blue Dragon works gameplay wise. Graphics and music seems very nice

- Is it totally linear? Any freedom to do side missions?
- Puzzles? Large/small dungeons?

Ginko

Excellent impressions by IGN.

IGN said:
During gameplay, the visuals suffer from some framerate problems, primarily during intense battle scenes. This actually has an effect on the controls, as the menus during battle feel unresponsive. I've ended up making a few frustrating command errors in the heat of things.

The framerate problems suggest that Blue Dragon was rushed to make it out for the December release. There are some other signs of this. The game's loading system is a bit baffling. There really isn't much loading at all, with quick transitions between cinema scenes and gameplay. But, for some reason, the game needlessly displays a choppy "now loading" icon on the bottom left of the screen when things are loading up in the background. It's like someone left a debugging message on following the game's testing phase.

Oh noes. Hopefully they'll fix this in the US version.

GhaleonEB

Ginko said:
Excellent impressions by IGN.

Oh noes. Hopefully they'll fix this in the US version.
Eh? "now loading" text is in tons of games, from Halo to Oblivion. Hmm.

and to the question above about disc-swapping in games like this, i agree. doesn't bug me one bit.

john tv

sangreal said:
Does the core system in Japan come with a chrome drive face, or did you take the face plate pictures on a different 360?
Nah, I took that on our office 360.

I'm about five or six hours in now. It's pretty solid but it's not mindblowing in any way, not yet at least. The main character's voice actor is pretty bad, and the story and first five hours are rife with RPG cliches so far, but generally speaking, it's a good game. I'm not sure what you guys were so excited about the intro for -- what was so special about it? It's like 90% cinematics and 10% gameplay, which was a little annoying, but apart from that it was all right, I guess?

BTW, Ian Gillan singing the boss theme = hot!

john tv said:

I'm about five or six hours in now. It's pretty solid but it's not mindblowing in any way, not yet at least. The main character's voice actor is pretty bad, and the story and first five hours are rife with RPG cliches so far, but generally speaking, it's a good game. I'm not sure what you guys were so excited about the intro for -- what was so special about it? It's like 90% cinematics and 10% gameplay, which was a little annoying, but apart from that it was all right, I guess?

yeah, the boss theme is surprisingly catchy...despite being continusuosly looped...its nice to see something a bit different...in a similar vein to the music in the ffx intro...which I also enjoyed

peace

Ginko

john tv said:

Yeah just watched the boss fight on IGN, the theme is very good. And it's working great with the whole fight as well.

john tv

Weird, I got two achievements today but I don't remember ever seeing the....ohhhhhhh, that's right. Forgot I turned off notifications. :p

2 down, 41 to go! :p

John, or anyone playing this game so far: I've read many people saying that they were interested in acquiring this game in the future since they felt it had a Chrono Trigger vibe to it.

Would you agree to this? Are there any similarities between this classic title and Blue Dragon?

duckroll

tambourine said:
John, or anyone playing this game so far: I've read many people saying that they were interested in acquiring this game in the future since they felt it had a Chrono Trigger vibe to it.

Would you agree to this? Are there any similarities between this classic title and Blue Dragon?

Yes. But it feels much more like a next-gen FF5 to me. Plus some CT vibes. Plus poop. Lots and lots of poop. :lol

Well Akira Toriyama is the character design which would explain why every game of his looks like something out of Dragon Ball and Sandland.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm so sad that there's no way I can play this on my US 360. I'm so tempted to import the BD bundle now. :x

DarknessTear said:
I don't see any similarities myself...

What makes it similar to CT?

I don't have the game, but I believe it doesn't have random battles and you can see enemies on the field - that at least makes me think of chrono trigger

i've seen some shots were Shu & friends attack a pink armed poo.. but.. so can poos battle against themselves?.. and.. can they join you in a battle?.. lol

duckroll

Okay, haven't quite hit the 4 hour mark yet, but I just finished a pretty long dungeon. The game's pretty good. It's VERY enjoyable, but not really ground breaking. It reminds me a lot of FFV in terms of story presentation and characters, and it makes me really happy. The areas and locations aren't that impressive visually at the moment, but the game is well paced and everything feels nice and proper. The game is still pretty in introduction mode as far as the story goes so it's hard to tell how much wider the game will open up (I'm guessing a hell lot).

Oldschool JRPG fans will be VERY happy with the game because it has tons of details for completist players. Each area and dungeon has tons of examinable spots and stuff that nets not just items and gold, but special exp, sp or stat bonuses as well (you get to choose which character gets it) so it really rewards exploration properly imo. Each area has gimmicks to play around with like pushing trees to create paths to chests, or light switches in the recent dungeon I was in.

Gameplay-wise the game is very well balanced so far. The game leans on the easy side (for now at least) but that's mostly if you decide to take advantage of the various little systems the game has. It's pretty much impossible to lose so far in the game as long as you're not retarded and hammering attack over and over. The game encourages you to exploit the available systems fully and when you do you won't feel the game is "easy" but instead you will find it fun.

In the world map field areas you can lure a stronger enemy group near a weaker one and initiate a concurrent encounter - if the two groups are compatible the stronger enemies will start eating the weaker ones, so you can finish just the stronger ones off and benefit from the entire encounter. When you pull this off there's a much higher chance for the enemies to drop poop (YES!) on the field after the encounter. You can choose to examine the poop or to discard it, but so far there are no disadvantages so I just examine all the poop and get extra gold! WOO HOO GOLDEN TURD! :p

The enemy groups are also all very well balanced for fun play instead of frustration. As you progress you'll find that there are many tricks that are usually quite obvious to making each battle easier, either through elemental attacks or by using enemies against each other. It feels more like you're solving puzzles (really easy puzzles though) sometimes than actually fighting an encounter. :D

There's also a good amount of customization you can do for your characters using the different categories. They're like jobs in FFV, with you gaining SP (Shadow Points) that rank up each category. At different ranks you will get new skills. These skills can then be equipped on your skill slots regardless of category, but each category has a basic skill that is only active when that category is equipped - this is usually the main active skill for that category like Black Magic, White Magic, etc.

There's quite a lot more to the game but it's impossible to cover in short impressions and those details don't really matter in the long run until you're actually playing it. Graphically the game looks pretty good, if a little plain. It looks really pretty in HD and does resemble a Pixar movie most of the time, but there is a feeling that sometimes the enviroments are just a little too bare. Otherwise the details are really good and Toriyama's humor and style is pretty much all over the game.

As for what makes it feel like Chrono Trigger, as I said, it's not VERY similar in any way, but the entire setting with a young energetic cast of characters trying to stop an evil they do not really understand while exploring ancient ruins and lost ancient technology is very similar. The fact that Toriyama's designs are all over just adds to the flavor of it.

That's all I've got at the moment, hope that clears up some thoughts! If you have more question feel free to ask!

duckroll said:
stuff that nets not just items and gold, but special exp, sp or stat bonuses as well

That sounds....awesome!

Thanks for the impressions. Keep us posted if and when you find snow! (I love snow areas in RPGs...)

duk

Banned
duckroll said:
As for what makes it feel like Chrono Trigger, as I said, it's not VERY similar in any way, but the entire setting with a young energetic cast of characters trying to stop an evil they do not really understand while exploring ancient ruins and lost ancient technology is very similar. The fact that Toriyama's designs are all over just adds to the flavor of it.

That's all I've got at the moment, hope that clears up some thoughts! If you have more question feel free to ask!

Freaking awesome, thanks for the impressions. I can't wait for his to hit NA.

Jonnyram

By the way, for strategists, it's worth pointing out perhaps, that your HP/MP increase when you level up is determined by the shadow you are using. That is the only thing that develops in such a way though - everything else is tied directly to either char level or shadow rank, not crossing over. (Hope that's clear, it sounds kind of confusing when I read it back to myself).

Jonnyram said:
By the way, for strategists, it's worth pointing out perhaps, that your HP/MP increase when you level up is determined by the shadow you are using. That is the only thing that develops in such a way though - everything else is tied directly to either char level or shadow rank, not crossing over. (Hope that's clear, it sounds kind of confusing when I read it back to myself).

So like a White Magic and Black Magic shadow for, say, my main man MaruMaro, are actually two different shadows, not just different skill sets for the same shadow?

duckroll

By the way, I see that IGN has mentioned that there's slowdown in some battles. Yes, I have noticed the framerate drop at various points in the game (not just in battles) and well, yeah I guess that sucks, but personally it doesn't take away from the experience imo. It's a little distracting, but the designs and models really make up for it.

While I agree with John that the overall story is cliched, the entire scenario feels a lot like a solid shounen manga presentation with strong energetic youth characters as opposed to the angsty teen JRPG dramas made popular in the past decade. And I don't know about him, but I really like Shu's voice. In fact, I recognize pretty much all the voices in the game and I think the voice casting is really solid. Wakamoto villain with a robot parrot voiced by Yuji Ueda = genius. Seriously. :D

Jonnyram

I loved Shu's voice too... a total change from the usual lead character, and something that appeals to me much more.

BenjaminBirdie - yes, you choose the shadow type for each char, much like jobs in FF games. Sword, White, Black, Monk etc. There's quite a few. What I was trying to explain before is, if MaruMaro levels up with Black shadow, he will gain more MP and less HP than if he levels up with Sword shadow. Chars have levels, shadows have ranks. A shadow's rank is tied to that char though. When you rank up your shadow, you gain new skills for that shadow type, and at certain ranks, new shadow types will become unlocked.

Top Bottom