• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Ginko

Thanks for the impressions everyone.

I don't know, I sense different vibes from each one of you.

Bebpo, it seems to me that other than the frame rate the problems are minor, no? I see the map in the pics you provided and true they can get annoying but not to the extent that it will ruin the experience. How many hours did you play, btw?

john tv

Oddly, I haven't noticed these frame rate issues yet. I'll be playing this and Zelda all weekend, so I'll try to take a closer look next time...

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
john tv said:
Oddly, I haven't noticed these frame rate issues yet. I'll be playing this and Zelda all weekend, so I'll try to take a closer look next time...

Yeah, I've been wanting to know if they're actually so "immense" that they should be noted.

Especially with the holding down of the "A" button to "charge" your attacks and choose whose attack yours precedes (or whatever the IGN preview said).

I hope they can tighten it up for the American release.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
bebpo in "My X360 has technical issues that no one else sees" Shocker.

Seriously man, this is the 3rd or 4th time i've seen you mention issues with an X360 game that i simply don't see - i told you last time, you're X360 is broken (or you are a massive troll) - or a bit of both!

take yer pick! ;)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DCharlie said:

Seriously man, this is the 3rd or 4th time i've seen you mention issues with an X360 game that i simply don't see - i told you last time, you're X360 is broken (or you are a massive troll) - or a bit of both!

take yer pick! ;)

So Charlie, you're not experiencing any framerate issues?

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:

take yer pick! ;)

So then IGN's X360 was broken as well since they mentioned the framerate issues at the exact same spot (the charging during battles)?

Can't you simply accept that you're not a picky 'videophile' like people like me and dark10x and little things like jumpy framerates don't bother you to the point of not noticing them?

Also the last time you said my X360 was broken you were talking about Oblivion and that was with my US X360 and this is of course my JPN one. So I guess I have two broken systems according to you!

Ginko said:
Thanks for the impressions everyone.

I don't know, I sense different vibes from each one of you.

Bebpo, it seems to me that other than the frame rate the problems are minor, no? I see the map in the pics you provided and true they can get annoying but not to the extent that it will ruin the experience. How many hours did you play, btw?

Yeah, it's all minor stuff really in the long run and I've only played 2 hours so far and in an rpg that's hardly anything. So as long as it picks up it'll be fine. The pacing is just veeeery slow early on and coming from Zelda, which had a fantastic pace, it's a bit of a zzz atm.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
So then IGN's X360 was broken as well since they mentioned the framerate issues at the exact same spot (the charging during battles)?

Can't you simply accept that you're not a picky 'videophile' like people like me and dark10x and little things like jumpy framerates don't bother you to the point of not noticing them?

Also the last time you said my X360 was broken you were talking about Oblivion and that was with my US X360 and this is of course my JPN one. So I guess I have two broken systems according to you!

But are the framerates really that much of a problem (I'm asking, not trying to question your integrity)? I'm sure with that little meter thing, the framerates would hinder the gameplay.

How often does it drop (the framerate)? Is it something that will "make or break" the game for some people?

DCharlie

i've had this converstation with a number of people - i've already voiced the opinion that there maybe some difference between machine.

no - because i consider myself a 'picky videophile' myself.

lets keep in mind you were havign technical issues with your DS as well (another of your favourite systems) - maybe you don't take care of your stuff and you don't notice that?

I fully expected this game to get teh bebpo smackdown no matter what - just call it a hunch.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
I fully expected this game to get teh bebpo smackdown no matter what - just call it a hunch.

I expect it to be my GoTY pick if it's worthy. But it has to earn that honour.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:

Yeah, it's all minor stuff really in the long run and I only played 2 hours so far and in an rpg that's hardly anything. So as long as it picks up it'll be fine. The pacing is just veeeery slow early on and coming from Zelda, which had a fantastic pace, it's a bit of a zzz atm.

So it would be safe to say that if we're used to the Kingdom Hearts games, we won't mind the beginning portion of the game? :D

Bebpo

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
So it would be safe to say that if we're used to the Kingdom Hearts games, we won't mind the beginning portion of the game? :D

KH = kid with ADD compared to BD after the end of the 30min intro.

Karma Kramer said:
Even over Zelda?

Zelda is not my GoTY so far ;P Though it is up there.

Jonnyram

I'll tell you when I see framedrops, and this is pretty much the only time apart from really random stuff... when Kluke carries out the deathblow in a battle so the battle win animation is her with her huge shadow taking up all the camera. There's some chug then, but it doesn't interfere with gameplay.

The bit Bebpo mentioned with the charging bars (when you're using monk or magic), isn't framerate, it's just a poorly animated bar. I know what you're talking about and you just have to get used to it. Some types of attacks are easier to follow the charge than others, and I believe it's intentional so you don't keep doing everything perfectly all the time.

Ginko

Bebpo said:
Yeah, it's all minor stuff really in the long run and I've only played 2 hours so far and in an rpg that's hardly anything. So as long as it picks up it'll be fine. The pacing is just veeeery slow early on and coming from Zelda, which had a fantastic pace, it's a bit of a zzz atm.

Hope it picks up. Looking forword for more in-depth impressions. And yeah, Zelda probably had one of the best pacing of all time, it just knew when to stop.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
I expect it to be my GoTY pick if it's worthy. But it has to earn that honour.

Can you explain to me also why your screen name is "captain of the 360 J RPGs" and why Dcharlie is accusing you of hating on the game (in the future)?

If your nickname is defender of 360 JRPGs, why is it that you, of all people, would be accused of being an anti-360 troll or someone who wants the 360 to fail with a passion?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
and maybe the framerate issues have to do with whether your playing on an HD set or not.....

Tomb Raider had that problem .On SDTV's the framerate was noticeably more stable while running in 720p, the framerate dropped.... quite a few times.

Bebpo

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Can you explain to me also why your screen name is "captain of the 360 J RPGs" and why Dcharlie is accusing you of hating on the game (in the future)?

If your nickname is defender of 360 JRPGs, why is it that you, of all people, would be accused of being an anti-360 troll or someone who wants the 360 to fail with a passion?

DCharlie and Jonnyram don't like me >_< So it's expected :p

I love jrpgs regardless of the platform. I really enjoyed [EM] when it came out and was vocal in my praise of it's good points, though also vocal about its weaknesses and I gave it a pretty nice review I think (higher than the gamerankings average!). I always point out the flaws that I personally see in every rpg I play right off the bat, because unlike the good points that may come up later, usually if an rpg has flaws they are apparent right from the start (well besides dungeon-design or plot, both of which can fall downhill as the game progresses). I don't contest that my taste in rpgs is correct or better than others, but when it comes to jrpgs I am 100% honest in my impressions as I just say what I think after playing.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Tomb Raider had that problem .On SDTV's the framerate was noticeably more stable while running in 720p, the framerate dropped.... quite a few times.

I think all the Japan crew are playing on HDTVs so I doubt that's it. I am playing in 1080i though so I might test and see if 720p is better (incase the game is possibly rendering natively at 1080i and that causes a bigger framerate hit than 720p). Unlikely, but worth testing.

LJ11

dirtmonkey37 said:

Did you miss that giant "Bebpo has lost his mind thread?"

Bebpo had high expectations for Blue Dragon, to say the least. He also plays a ton of JRPG's (guess which console he plays them on?) and I for one value his opinion because he gives very detailed impressions. He only played 2 hours and gave us much more than anyone else on this forum has. Thanks Bebpo, and keep them coming.

LJ11 said:
Did you miss that giant "Bebpo has lost his mind thread?"

Bebpo had high expectations for Blue Dragon, to say the least. He also plays a ton of JRPG's (guess which console he plays them on?) and I for one value his opinion because he gives very detailed impressions. He only played 2 hours and gave us much more than anyone else on this forum has. Thanks Bebpo, and keep them coming.

Goddanmit LJ get some ****ing sleep!

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:

I love jrpgs regardless of the platform. I really enjoyed [EM] when it came out and was vocal in my praise of it's good points, though also vocal about its weaknesses and I gave it a pretty nice review I think (higher than the gamerankings average!). I always point out the flaws that I personally see in every rpg I play right off the bat, because unlike the good points that may come up later, usually if an rpg has flaws they are apparent right from the start (well besides dungeon-design or plot, both of which can fall downhill as the game progresses). I don't contest that my taste in rpgs is correct or better than others, but when it comes to jrpgs I am 100% honest in my impressions as I just say what I think after playing.

I think all the Japan crew are playing on HDTVs so I doubt that's it. I am playing in 1080i though so I might test and see if 720p is better (incase the game is possibly rendering natively at 1080i and that causes a bigger framerate hit than 720p). Unlikely, but worth testing.

Actually, that may very well be it. In fact, I'm 80% sure of the fact that that is what's causing your framerate problem.

IGN posted a review (I think it was COD2, or it was the COD2 Head to Head with the PC) of a game on the 360 and they said that 1080i did indeed cause framerate problems for many games that ran well in 720p. It wasn't the most noticeable thing, but it existed.

But I like how you're honest and don't let the hype or graphics get in the way. I appreciate your impressions and pictures too.

My GT: dirtmonkey37 if you want to add me (be it your NTSC 360 or your NTSC-J 360). I'd like to talk about Japan with you if you'd like (assuming you live there).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I had a question about this game, it looks really cool and I really wanna play it, but does that lame song play everytime you fight a boss?

DCharlie

we don't hate you ... your opinion just sucks! ;)

i'm quite amused by being labelled someone who doesn't care about frame rates *throws rock at bebpo* ;)

DCharlie said:
we don't hate you ... your opinion just sucks! ;)

i'm quite amused by being labelled someone who doesn't care about frame rates *throws rock at bebpo* ;)

So what do you think of BD so far DC. A reporter over at IGN said he was really impressed with it so far... exact quote is...

This game had me at the "press START" screen music...

I feel bad for ANY RPG-loving Japanese gamer -- and there are a lot of them -- who won't be playing this phenomenal game over winter break

Will have a proper review over the weekend, cause for the next two days, I ain't doin ****

DCharlie

So what do you think of BD so far DC. A reporter over at IGN said he was really impressed with it so far... exact quote is...

i like it so for - i thought the opening in particular was very good - but i haven't got to the gamebreakingslowdown encounter yet! :)

Mrs C is loving it so far - although she did complain about too lengthy cut scenes. Given her ranking in the RPG hierachy (and as the woman who has to wash her socks) i'm trusting her judgement.

DCharlie

so is this the legendary game Microsoft wanted it to be?

seems to be the closest they've got to Japanese tastes at least, although taht might be a bit premature i guess - by disk 2 i guess i could be a bald space marine who circle strafes his way to glory!

Bebpo

Banned
picssss224036.jpg

picssss224031.jpg

picssss224024.jpg

cvxfreak

^Hotness.

If I weren't going to Japan a month from now, I would have ordered that Core Pack by now. Ooooh the wait. TT__TT

Bebpo

Banned
Got about 4 and 1/2 hours in now. Game dramatically picked up from the 2 hours mark to the point where when I look at the starting areas I swear they were made by some outsourced team in a shack or something.

Once you hit the DUNGEONS and not just the overworld a lot of the problems like "big bland areas" get fixed into "nicely detailed hallways" and "I can't see where I'm going" goes into "I can see down this hallway" :p The map system is still useless and down the line when dungeons get big and complex you might have to be drawing a map out on paper like the old days, but we'll see where that goes.

The battle system also picks up around then as once you start getting a decent bit in several jobs, the system really shines. It's a fantastic mix of FF5 x Grandia w/a touch of SMT. Monster interactions add to old school elemental interactions, job mixing can let you create highly damage attacks (for instance if you have "flame fist" which is a physical + fire attack, if you are the monk job and do a perfect charge you'll get about 2x damage. So if you do a monk job flame fist on a flame weak enemy you'll be doing about 4x damage). The timing bar is also an excellent addition as you can plan out strategies because due to enemy reactions to certain attacks or enemy "phases" you might want to hold your attack off until someone else has a turn and the bar lets you set it whenever you want. Also being able to charge and increase the effectiveness of you attacks/magic is a neat touch. Overall the game is already making great use of Blue Dragon's battle system by the 3-4 hour in dungeon and it's really good.

The game is also a lot more fun when enemies start doing damage :p Until about 2:30 in enemies would do about 2 points of damage per hit when I had 80+ HP... yeah, zzzz. But around 2:30 in they start doing 30-50 points of damage and coming in large packs and then...yeah, fun :)

The graphics are pretty nice looking, though there is still tons of screen tearing (basically any time you do an elemental attack with a dragon since you have the added elemental effects), but at least the tearing doesn't rear its head outside of battle besides for maybe 1/2 a second in a cutscene or two. I'm still really anti the over-use of the depth of field effect though, the village in those first two pics is JAW-DROPPINGLY GORGEOUS. But you can't really see anything past the building in front of you without it being a total blur >_< They should patch the game and let you turn off the filter if you want (though I guess it would kill the framerate since detail loads in like GoW as you approach things).

Music is still totally awesome. Despite what some may say, the boss battle theme is very fitting and quite the enjoyable piece :p

So yeah, now that dungeon-design is in place, the battle system is getting challenging and is very nice, and the areas are getting more colorful and detailed...it's definitely an enjoyable rpg. Story is still in the air, but at this point I can at least say that Sakaguchi still knows how to make a turn-based battle system :)

Jonnyram

Blue Dragon software shifted 40,000 on day one.
This does NOT include the hardware bundles.

It's the fastest start for any 360 game, btw.

duckroll

Hahahah, why has my thread turned into a big frameratewhore gathering place?! ;_;

The framerate isn't that bad, but it doesnt dip now and then when certain things happen. Jonnyram is spot on when he mentioned Kluke's winning pose, and there are one or two non-FMV cutscenes where you can feel it dipping a few frames. It doesn't really affect the game as I *already* mentioned the first time I mentioned them. But if you are personally sensitive to these things then will WILL affect you, that's all it is.

The charging thing has nothing to do with framerate, different spells and attacks charge VERY differently from others. It's more of a timing minigame than anything else. Spells specially have very different charging rates so if you hold down the button they will increase at different speeds AND increments. If they increase at different increments it won't look smooth instead the bar looks like it's "jumping" at times which it is. The only perfectly smooth charging bar is when you use the Charge Attack which is a normal attack that can be charged. It's the easiest and most controllable. All spells will differ.

john tv

Jonnyram said:
Blue Dragon software shifted 40,000 on day one.
This does NOT include the hardware bundles.

It's the fastest start for any 360 game, btw.
On one hand, Sakaguchi probably doesn't care because either way he made bank from this MS deal. Crazy bank. On the other hand, it's gotta hurt knowing this game could've been on just about any other platform in existence and sold about 10-15 times as many copies. If it were on PS2 it would've sold a million in a week, easily.

Poor Xbox!

Top Bottom