• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Planet 2 announced (David Attenborough, BBC, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

BBC said:
Sir David Attenborough will present the sequel to 2001's The Blue Planet, the BBC has announced.

The seven-part series, to be shown later this year, will aim to highlight recent scientific discoveries.

"I am truly thrilled to be joining this new exploration of the underwater worlds which cover most of our planet, yet are still its least known," Sir David said.

The BBC's Natural History Unit spent four years filming off every continent and in every ocean for Blue Planet II, with support from marine scientists.

James Honeyborne, the series' executive producer, said: "The oceans are the most exciting place to be right now, because new scientific discoveries have given us a new perspective of life beneath the waves.

"Blue Planet II is taking its cue from these breakthroughs, unveiling unbelievable new places, extraordinary new behaviours and remarkable new creatures. Showing a contemporary portrait of marine life, it will provide a timely reminder that this is a critical moment for the health of the world's oceans."

Among the recent discoveries caught on camera are a tuskfish that uses tools and a new species of crab with a hairy chest - nicknamed the "Hoff crab" after Baywatch star David Hasselhoff.

The Natural History Unit's new filming techniques include "tow cams" that can capture predatory fish and dolphins head-on, suction cams which attach to the back of whale sharks and orcas for a creature's-eye view, and a probe camera that can record miniature marine life.

The BBC said the crew caught unusual examples of marine behaviour on camera, such as a coral grouper and reef octopus with sophisticated hunting techniques, a giant trevally fish that catches birds in flight, and a dive with a sperm whale mother and her calf.

It said the series would also explore new landscapes from methane volcanoes erupting in the Gulf of Mexico to the Antarctic deep at 1,000m, filmed using manned submersibles.

The Blue Planet was watched by more than 12 million people in 2001 and won Baftas and Emmy awards for both cinematography and music. The sequel will be broadcast on BBC One later this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39022239

Facebook teaser: https://www.facebook.com/bbcearth/videos/1396064743747273/

1LUHn8L.jpg

F!ReW!Re

Still need to catch up on Planet Earth II (only seen the first 3 episodes).

But this is definitely great news!
Hope we get a lot of new stuff about the "deep ocean".
Always love seeing these organisms that look like aliens.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nice. I wish they'd shot the original at a better res so it transitioned to the Blu-ray era better, but it's still my favorite of the BBC World big budget nature docs.

I wonder which inferior celeb voiceover American viewers will be stuck with?

Awesome.
It always sucked a bit that the first series can't compete with the visual quality and presentation of any BBC flagship series coming after it.
This basically fixes that.
4K HDR Plz

Friggz

Can't wait. I enjoyed the first blue planet more than planet earth.

I also need to catch up on planet earth 2. Is that up for stream anywhere yet

Xun

And this is why I'm perfectly content with the TV Licence.

I still think the BBC waste too much money though.

Asbel

Awesome.
It always sucked a bit that the first series can't compete with the visual quality and presentation of any BBC flagship series coming after it.
This basically fixes that.
4K HDR Plz
Doesn't help that these have to be underwater under high pressure cameras and the camera operators have to be trained scuba divers, while controlling these giant cameras and floating at the mercy of the currents..

The BBC said the crew caught unusual examples of marine behaviour on camera, such as a coral grouper and reef octopus with sophisticated hunting techniques, a giant trevally fish that catches birds in flight, and a dive with a sperm whale mother and her calf.
Like what?

Always excited to get more David Attenborough & BBC documentaries. I think Planet Earth II is already my top 3 TV shows of all time and my favorite nature documentary. Have seen it through three times so far and now waiting for the 4K bluray release. Some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen and just hearing the beautiful main theme is enough to get me teary-eyed.

Blue Planet!

The ocean is my favorite.. But they should just call it 'Trash Planet'. The sea is saturated in plastic and pollution. Probably killed off half the living diversity.

Tambini

Among the recent discoveries caught on camera are a tuskfish that uses tools and a new species of crab with a hairy chest - nicknamed the "Hoff crab" after Baywatch star David Hasselhoff.

b9ZQtEtr_400x400.jpeg

Blue Lou

Tizoc

Sorry for the bump but I've been anxious to watch this series for the longest time (as many of you have).
Has anyone heard about a release date for the series? Does it begin in September or October?

I_D

Yes! This will be worth it just for the inevitable 'Deep Sea' episode alone. Can't wait.

Exactly. BBC deep ocean footage is absolutely mesmerizing.

I thought Planet Earth II was a but underwhelming compared to the first, but I still have high hopes for Blue Planet II.

dcll

Banned
I watched PE 1 and 2 and loved those and I supposed I need to watch these if they are anywhere near as good as PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom