• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection Steam storescreens at 720p, hilarity ensues [Supports 4K, 144FPS]

Mod Edit:
So the conclusion to this is that there was something lost in translation with the customer service response, and the 2D assets are indeed not "720p". There may or may not be issues with the PC port, minor or major, but it's a far cry from 'lol this game is 720p'.

Steam forum: PC vs PS4 comparison screenshots.

Still resulted in a great meme, though.

=========

So, someone from the Steam forum contacted KT regarding the Blue Reflection PC port.

Here's their response:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We prepare 2D images basically on the resolution of 1280*720 for BLUE REFLECTION Steam version, meanwhile 1920*1080 for PS4 version.
Therefore, if you play in the environment where the resolution is larger than 1280*720, the images are shown as stretched. We hope you will accept this.
We will consider conforming 2D images to a larger resolution, but cannot promise. We trust that you will understand our position in this matter.

We would like to close our correspondence for your inquiry.
Source

Lock me up at 720p if old.

Why didn't they draw their assets in 4K resolution then downsample? Drawing in super high res then downsampling has been a practice for over 2 decades at least now. No, this isn't acceptable.

red731

"We hope you will accept this."

raw

L
M
A
O

Somebody explain this to me.

Why didn't they draw their assets in 4K resolution then downsample? Drawing in super high res then downsampling has been a practice for over 2 decades at least now. No, this isn't acceptable.

They do have 1080p assets which theyre not using on pc because reasons. Very very important big reasons

Jawmuncher

KT and their pc ports are so hit and miss (with most being a miss) that I can’t help but wonder what they’re thinking over there.

Lain

They started out with bad ports and instead of slowly improving, they slowly moved backwards toward shit ports.
What a disgrace KT is.

From the Steam page it's still a 30GB download/install, so it seems rather pointless to have all 2D art assets (I'm assuming HUD, menus and so on) render in 720p. Didn't a recent Atelier PC port have this same issue where the interface and 2D assets were rendered at a maximum resolution of what would appear as 720p upscaled?

It's worth noting that the install sizes for both minimum and recommended requirements on PC differ for some reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I think you've misunderstood the situation. The 720p assets weren't blown up to 1080p for the PS4 version; the 1080p assets were reduced to 720p for the Vita and PC versions. The decision to lump the two together would make at least some sense if there were a lack of foresight and the assets were created with 720p in mind, but instead it's completely arbitrary and nonsensical.

mieumieu

Technically the title is incorrect becau-

wth actually it's even worse than not having resolution options because they choose to not include FHD 2D assets so KT is the real asshole in this situation.

Ascheroth

From the Steam page it's still a 30GB download/install, so it seems rather pointless to have all 2D art assets (I'm assuming HUD, menus and so on) render in 720p. Didn't a recent Atelier PC port have this same issue where the interface and 2D assets were rendered at a maximum resolution of what would appear as 720p upscaled?

It's worth noting that the install sizes for both minimum and recommended requirements on PC differ for some reason.
Yeah, Atelier Sophie has the same problem. It's the menus and HUD that are upscaled 720p for god knows what reason.
Don't know if this also applies to Firis.

Ascheroth

I don't even know what train of thought you'd have to have to come to a conclusion like that.
"We have 1080p assets for PS4. Let's downscale them to 720p for PC instead of using them as is."

I'd get it if that was the resolution for all versions and they didn't want to blur them or stretch them by changing the resolutions.

But the PS4 actually has a superior resolution.

W
T
F

Top Bottom