• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint Games teases it's next title as a "re-envisioning" of an older game

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If it ain't Demons Souls, I aint interested.

EDIT: I take it back, there are plenty of titles Bluepoint could remaster/remake that I would be excited for. I'd love to see them remake the original God of War games, Resistance games, but I have absolutely no interest in Legend of Dragoon and I really hope that game is not the one being remade.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I love Blue Point (they are one of my favorite developers) but I wish they wouldn't be so obsessed with remakes or making their own game.

Since when was being the best studio in the world for ports a bad thing?

They could have done Demon Souls in 6 months and moved on to the Silent Hill Collection (or something else lol). Demon Souls really dosnt need a full remake.

I doubt the sales of a remaster vs a remake really justify the cost either in all but maybe the biggest IP.

Last edited:

FranXico

If it ain't Demons Souls, I aint interested.

EDIT: I take it back, there are plenty of titles Bluepoint could remaster/remake that I would be excited for. I'd love to see them remake the original God of War games, Resistance games, but I have absolutely no interest in Legend of Dragoon and I really hope that game is not the one being remade.
Damn, that's enough to keep them busy for a decade...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love Blue Point (they are one of my favorite developers) but I wish they wouldn't be so obsessed with remakes or making their own game.

Thet could have done Demon Souls in 6 months and moved on to the Silent Hill Collection (or something else lol). Demon Souls really dosnt need a full remake.

I doubt the sales of a remaster vs a remake really justify the cost either in all but maybe the biggest IP.
They haven't made their own game, because as you say they don't have the personnel to take on such a task. I don't where you got this idea that they had an interest in making their own game, because I have never read that they had a particular interest in doing so. TMK, they have not made their own original game.

Remaking a game like they did SotC is very very very different than making their own game, because the blueprint is already there, they are more or less just coming in and updating the assets as opposed to creating their own story, engine, gameplay etc.

Like you, I have to admit to being confused as to why people would like them to make their own game. They are not a studio built for that purpose.

It's the equivalent of asking the worlds greatest electrician to build and design an entire house. Sure that electrician can wire up a house like no other, but it's completely different than building a house.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Does Sony own bluepoint? If they don't they should secure them asap!

I would love for them to remain hired guns for remaster of games we love and want to revisit. There are so many games tht ppl would love to replay at higher fidelity and better performance. It's OK if thy make their own ips once in awhile but I definitely want them focused on taking older games and making them better!!! I'd replay Demon Souls Remastered or renvisioned in an instant, Warhawk is another, etc imagine Warkawk on PS5 all out MP mayhem. Mag is another.

Hostile_18

Banned
They haven't made their own game, because as you say they don't have the personnel to take on such a task. I don't where you got this idea that they had an interest in making their own game, because I have never read that they had a particular interest in doing so. TMK, they have not made their own original game.

Remaking a game like they did SotC is very very very different than making their own game, because the blueprint is already there, they are more or less just coming in and updating the assets as opposed to creating their own story, engine, gameplay etc.

Like you, I have to admit to being confused as to why people would like them to make their own game. They are not a studio built for that purpose.

It's the equivalent of asking the worlds greatest electrician to build and design an entire house. Sure that electrician can wire up a house like no other, but it's completely different than building a house.

A remake is still many times more work than a remaster though, was the engine not new for Shadow?

I just get the impression that's the way they are going each project been bigger than the last.

I agree 100% about your sentiments of not creating a new game. I hope I'm wrong. The industry needs a team to honour it's legacy like only Blue Point can (well it's in the elite few). I love the MGS and Uncharted collections, such amazing value for money and they look amazing.

nowhat

They haven't made their own game, because as you say they don't have the personnel to take on such a task.
Well, that's not entirely correct - they have an in-house art staff nowadays and have been expanding it a bit (much of the assets in SotC were made from scratch).

But true, so far they've shown no interest in making original games*), and I don't think they have that many designers/writers required for an original game. Unless it's something quite arcadey, which wouldn't really be able to demonstrate their technical prowess.

*) They did develop "Blast Factor" along with Santa Monica back in 2006, one of the first PSN titles, but that hardly counts.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, that's not entirely correct - they have an in-house art staff nowadays and have been expanding it a bit (much of the assets in SotC were made from scratch).

But true, so far they've shown no interest in making original games*), and I don't think they have that many designers/writers required for an original game. Unless it's something quite arcadey, which wouldn't really be able to demonstrate their technical prowess.

*) They did develop "Blast Factor" along with Santa Monica back in 2006, one of the first PSN titles, but that hardly counts.
Correct. Unless Bluepoint has gone on a huge hiring spree, it's extremely unlikely that they have anyone with game design experience on hand. Those people are likely at other studios who do make original games. Unless it was a gateway into the industry I can't see someone who has game design ambitions working at Bluepoint.

Hostile_18

Banned
Correct. Unless Bluepoint has gone on a huge hiring spree, it's extremely unlikely that they have anyone with game design experience on hand. Those people are likely at other studios who do make original games. Unless it was a gateway into the industry I can't see someone who has game design ambitions working at Bluepoint.

But if you have coders/artists etc that are capable of remaking a full game they can't be that far off having the resources to create a new game should they wish it surely?

nowhat

But if you have coders/artists etc that are capable of remaking a full game they can't be that far off having the resources to create a new game should they wish it surely?
I mean, sure.

Other than, you know, what the game is. How it will play. What happens in it. Design, basically. Which is a very important part of a game - I'd argue good design is able to salvage many games that fall short in other areas.

Kamina

Golden Boy
giphy.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Actually yes, there is a significant different between those two. You have to have people that understand gameplay, level design, story creation, etc. Those are vastly different than people who specialize in asset creation.

psygn0sis

They could have done Demon Souls in 6 months and moved on to the Silent Hill Collection (or something else lol). Demon Souls really dosnt need a full remake.

4K/60 FPS port of Demon's Souls would be enough, DeS aged really well IMHO
I'd really play a MGS1 remake, MP side they could remake SOCOM 2

Hostile_18

Banned
Actually yes, there is a significant different between those two. You have to have people that understand gameplay, level design, story creation, etc. Those are vastly different than people who specialize in asset creation.

You've got the artists, you've got the coders, you've got the production/publishing pipeline.

Are you really saying getting a design team in place is that far out of reach?

Apologies if your in the industry, but looking from the outside I'd have thought a remaster to a remake is more of jump than a remake to an original game. I'd have thought the creative's would be much like a pyramid a few at the top cascading down to the production departments that are already in place within Blue Point.

Interesting either way, if a dev could offer insight it would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

nowhat

You've got the artists, you've got the coders, you've got the production/publishing pipeline.

Are you really saying getting a design team in place is that far out of reach?
It's like JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball noted, a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.

With no focus on original content, there's no need for a proper design department. And with no design department, there's really no incentive for established or upcoming designers to apply.

Hostile_18

Banned
It's like JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball noted, a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.

With no focus on original content, there's no need for a proper design department. And with no design department, there's really no incentive for established or upcoming designers to apply.

What about when new studios are created like ones MS is creating, they don't seem to have a problem.

I'd have thought a prestigious studio like Blue Point would have no trouble attracting talent from different fields should they chose to go in this direction.

That's not even mentioning internal promotion. I'm sure alot of the passionate guys and girls over their have their own ideas on how they would do things without following someone else's pre set vision.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

A man can Dream....

- Could Be Demons Souls, and that would be awesome
- Could be Killzone 2, incredible too but i doubt
- Could be ICO, that would be great too
- Could be A game from the Tenchu franchise, awesome too
- Could be a Silent Hill game, from 1 to 4......incredible
- Could be a game from the Siren Franchise in collaboration with its team (formers employees from the Team Silent), incredible
- Could be Syphon Filter

or

We could hit with the sad reality

Could be Parappa the Rapper.
What's so bad about Parappa and the game already got an HD Remaster two years ago

Roni

Gold Member
What about when new studios are created like ones MS is creating, they don't seem to have a problem.

I'd have thought a prestigious studio like Blue Point would have no trouble attracting talent from different fields should they chose to go in this direction.

Studios like that usually have some experienced creative director or game designer attached that will build the design team from the ground up. Very costly and time-consuming process, by the way...

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
I like the idea behind Demon's Souls but I would prefer a non-exclusive game this time. Prince of Persia would be nuts if they went to back to Sands of Time (even Warrior Within old be cool).

nowhat

Bluepoint is surely a respected studio in their craft, but they are (at least as of yet) an independent studio. With no major backing. Headhunting is much easier when there's something like MS footing the bills.

Anyway, this is quite useless speculation - as per their own words, Bluepoint are currently very satisfied with what they're doing. And why wouldn't they, because they do such an outstanding job at it.

Reactions: Isa

Hostile_18

Banned
Studios like that usually have some experienced creative director or game designer attached that will build the design team from the ground up. Very costly and time-consuming process, by the way...

I can imagine but here were talking about many/most of the department's not only already in place but highly experienced with a proven track record of working well together to dead lines.

Hostile_18

Banned
Bluepoint is surely a respected studio in their craft, but they are (at least as of yet) an independent studio. With no major backing. Headhunting is much easier when there's something like MS footing the bills.

Anyway, this is quite useless speculation - as per their own words, Bluepoint are currently very satisfied with what they're doing. And why wouldn't they, because they do such an outstanding job at it.

It's just the current trajectory from ports to remakes to whatever next. They seem to be a studio with lofty ambitions. I just wouldn't rule it out (even if I personally only want them to do industry leading ports).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

That's not even mentioning internal promotion. I'm sure alot of the passionate guys and girls over their have their own ideas on how they would do things without following someone else's pre set vision.
You're acting like all this stuff grows on trees and that they have the resources and/or logistics for such a thing.

Developing original content is orders of magnitude more different than porting/remastering. You have to attract tons of new people with experience to do such a thing. While they may have talented people within who would love a crack at it, publishers would be extremely hesitant to invest millions of millions of development for an unproven groups. Likewise, if you're someone with game design ambitions you are much likely better off going to another studio that specializes in original content.

Digity

As much as I'd love a Demon's Souls remake I'd also be very interested and hyped to see a remake for the Legend of Dragoon. So many memories of playing it until my sister became obsessed with it. Very good game.
Gust of wind dance!

Reactions: Isa

Hostile_18

Banned
You're acting like all this stuff grows on trees and that they have the resources and/or logistics for such a thing.

Developing original content is orders of magnitude more different than porting/remastering. You have to attract tons of new people with experience to do such a thing. While they may have talented people within who would love a crack at it, publishers would be extremely hesitant to invest millions of millions of development for an unproven groups. Likewise, if you're someone with game design ambitions you are much likely better off going to another studio that specializes in original content.

That's how many studios grow, start small and keep punching up. I just get the feeling you'd be posting here saying remakes are far beyond them a few years ago with that kind of mindset.

Still I'm not a developer so I could be very wrong. I'm just not going to rule it out with a team this ambitious. Interesting debate though :)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's how many studios grow, start small and keep punching up. I just get the feeling you'd be posting here saying remakes are far beyond them a few years ago with that kind of mindset.

Not everybody wants to punch up though. Many people are satisfied with what they are doing, especially when they are the best at what they are doing. Btw, I think you are absolutely dead wrong in assuming that the jump from porting to remaking is a bigger jump than from remaking to making an original game. To equate this to house building remaking is the equivalent of having the concrete slab already laid and the basic framework already built and then coming in, replacing the walls, wiring, etc. Not an easy task, but one that is many times much more straight forward than making their own game.

If Bluepoint really wants to test the waters on making original content one suggestion would be to get a group of 10 -20 of their employess who want to make their own game, license a much older engine like Quake or Build or Doom and have them make a retro game where the focus is on gameplay. Make a game very similar to Ion Fury and Wrath.

Hostile_18

Banned
Saw this on their website as a current open position for hire, along with many others. Does this mean it may possibly be multiplayer or connected world MMO type game?

"Deal with server and database scaling issues to ensure features scale to a large user base "

If it is Demon Souls has multiplayer elements. At least I'm presuming it has like Dark Souls.. Never played it on the PS3 to my shame.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Why even mention Microsoft in this context? They don't have a known presence of creating new studios like Sony has been doing for ages like Sony Santa Monica, Sony Bend recently and others. BTW what new studios has Microsoft created that have put out games ppl have been talking about? The coalition still has to prove themselves. I am waiting to see what thy bring forward.

In any case Bluepoint should focus on what thy are great at and if thts remaster or reenvisionings thts just fine. Sony has plenty of studios with A and B teams doing diff projects.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
All I know is that I’m playing Shadow of the Colossus right now, and it is one of the most stunning transformations I’ve ever seen for a game, and in its own right, one of the most aesthetically appealing (both art and tech) games I’ve ever played.

Given their ability, and taste in taking on good projects, I look forward to whatever it is they’re re-envisioning.

Lots of people are saying Souls, and I love that game too, but for a re-envisioning, wouldn’t we be talking about something that’s aged more significantly? That game remains pretty fantastic in gameplay. I think we should probably think back a little more, to something like the PS1/PS2 era. Something like Metal Gear Solid, whether or not that particular example is a good one, given the Konami situation, sounds more likely.

Strider311

I haven't played anything Soulborne, and I still feel like I had enough of them for the entire life.

Please, just be a fucking Metal Gear Solid 1 remake.
While I’m always game for more Soulsborne, I NEED more Metal Gear. When the hell are we going to find out what they are working on?

DelireMan7

I haven't played anything Soulborne, and I still feel like I had enough of them for the entire life.

Haha I like this statement. It's definitely wrong for me for the Soulsborne but it corresponds well to my vision of the Mario serie :)

On topic :
I would not say no to a true remake of Demon's Souls.
Also never played Legend of Dragoon but will be play happy to play it as well :)
Please not Metal Gear Solid. I love it and I don't feel it needs a remake. I can't really think what could be better than the original honestly.

shoegaze

Soul Reaver or Legend of Dragoon and I'd die a happy man. Definitely not demons souls please no. It's like asking to reimagine first Assassin's Creed - what's the fucking point - just play the latest iteration. In this case it's DS3, that we had not too long ago.

DelireMan7

Definitely not demons souls please no. [...] - what's the fucking point - just play the latest iteration. In this case it's DS3, that we had not too long ago.

Heresy ! I see your point but I can't agree. Of course, I am probably not objective (see picture profile) but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 3 (or even 1) are quite different games. Of course they share the same DNA but the execution, world, atmosphere are vastly different.

No offense really, but in my ears it sounds like "What the point of FFVII remake, just play FFXV".

Top Bottom