• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

I think that much was pretty obvious from his speech with Capone when he hands over the operation saying "you've won". Although, possible spoilers for next seasons:

He does come back to America to set up another gang with Luciano, Lanksy and a few others but I don't think they'll bother in the show.

I know, all I was saying is that his departure has the potential to be overshadowed by Jack Huston's, and it's nice to give him his due.

And yeah, you're probably right that they won't bother.
Plus, he didn't return until three years later anyway, and there's no guarantee the show will progress that far (although I hope it does).

CrankyJay

Banned
I know, all I was saying is that his departure has the potential to be overshadowed by Jack Huston's, and it's nice to give him his due.

And yeah, you're probably right that they won't bother.
Plus, he didn't return until three years later anyway, and there's no guarantee the show will progress that far (although I hope it does).

2 seasons could easily cover 3-4 years worth of events...just depends on their timeline

Kallor

Goddamn what a finale. This show gets them right every time. Richard dies just as he unburys Jimmy and settles everything with his son. Beautiful stuff. Eli and Van Alden in Chicago together? Oh shit. Is Nucky still heading to cuba? did I miss something? or is he staying in Atlantic city?

Anyway, glad to hear Narcisse is coming back (Jeffrey Wright has been outstanding) and GIllian in a woman's prison would be amazing.

Angry Fork

Extremely disappointed about Harrow. I'm more upset that he missed his target than him dying. Kind of ruined the finale for me honestly. Most of the time when TV shows do something that's harsh, but necessary, it works out in the end and you ultimately feel satisfied. I don't feel that right now at all. I get why he missed, why the writers went where they went, but it's too frustrating for me to accept.

- EW Interview: Jeffrey Wright says Narcisse suffers 'spiritual assassination'
By season’s end, he may have survived a botched assassination attempt, but according to Wright, he suffers a “real spiritual assassination” when J. Edgar Hoover (Eric Ladin) forces him to become his informant for the Bureau of Investigation.

“He becomes what he despises at the beginning and that is a servant pretending to be a king, so it all comes full circle,” Wright explains.

Narcisse’s fate is now at the mercy of Hoover — almost inevitable given the historical period the series showcases. Wright says, “Looking from the outside in, what’s fascinating about that dynamic is that it reflects some level of accuracy relative to Marcus Garvey and the UNIA [Universal Negro Improvement Association].”

He continues, stating, “Hoover’s first Civil Rights obsession was with Marcus Garvey and there were clearly people who played the role of Judas, if you will, to Garvey. And so now, we’ll see where it goes, but Narcisse who has been really villainous before — even though maybe not within his mind — is clearly fallen to the bottom of the barrel now.”

I love what they did with both Chalky and Narcisse and look forward to seeing more of them. This was a tough episode but i think I'm now at peace with everything that happened. Great, unpredictable finale to a very well written and tense season. I was at the edge of my seat every episode.

Ultimadrago

That season finale. But at what cost?!

This was an enjoyable season, though I'm surprised that Chalky and Doctor are going to be given more room to tussle in the following season. With even more Federal interception on the horizon, little telling how long the Doc is sticking around.

From Michael K Williams' instagram:

TnAGvIy.jpg

Hah, very nice.

Totally bummed about Harrow. When they showed him in the train, I thought omg he survived. And then when they showed the very next scene with the house, I knew, even before they swapped his face out. =(

I wonder if they'll skip a year or two, or just continue a few months later for this upcoming season.

Will we be getting the Death of Rothstein next season?

Three years. 2 1/2 if it's done at the end of the season. Not so far fetched as you might think.

No it's closer to 4. Rothstein died at the end of 28, Torrio's assassination was January 1925.
I'm just saying, I think that's a little too much time to jump. Though whenever that season is it should be a corker
St. Velentine's Day Massacre is just 3 months after Rothstein's death

No it's closer to 4. Rothstein died at the end of 28, Torrio's assassination was January 1925.
I'm just saying, I think that's too much time to jump.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I think '26 is too big of a year for Capone to ignore. I just wanted to ignite speculation and talk Mafia History, and what events we might see next season.

Socreges

Banned
Did Terrance Winter confirm that they are bringing in Bugs Moran and Schemer Drucci for next season?
Read last night that Bugs was actually the one that shot Torrio (in real life). I guess they changed that up because they're going to have to cast him properly in the future and they didn't want to change actors? Or they didn't want the focus to be on Moran at all since he didn't have an arch of his own and has already made an 'assassination appearance'.

But yeah, hoping he's brought in next season.

Marc

Just watched this.... spoilers already here but don't read any further if avoiding them (why you in this thread yo?).

HARROW!!!!! NOOOO!!!!! Damn shows need to stop killing all my boys! Would it have killed them to have him live happily ever after?

I haven't enjoyed this season as much, season 3 was off the charts but this was more like season 1. Very good but not great, but that final episode got that old magic back. But damn, I am left with very little love in the show now. Who do I get behind? Pretty much everyone left are arseholes.

I wish that they got Michael Pitt back for that end shot, would have been perfect but oh man. I still can't get over it, this has shades of The Wire with a certain familiar face we know and love. Some nobody gets him, HIM! It should take an army to bring him down, but no he kills the wrong person and gets put away without even taking out the guy that killed him. I hope Jack Huston gets some good roles going forward, he was amazing and deserves some recognition. Should have been Batman!

Arrgghhh!!! As for the rest, Nucky can't kill his brother after he tried to kill Nucky and have him arrested? I mean damn, you kill Jimmy for a lot less and he had better reasons for the conflict. Mr. White is done, how do you recover from that. Eli I don't know whats going to happen with him, I was left confused by that scene. Gonna become Capone's man? Where can next season go.

Real Hero

That was so good. So glad they Kept both Chalky and Narcisse alive. Having Narcisse have to say 'yes sir' was incredibly brutal. What did he mumble just before that?

Richard :(

Socreges

Banned
That was so good. So glad they Kept both Chalky and Narcisse alive. Having Narcisse have to say 'yes sir' was incredibly brutal. What did he mumble just before that?

Richard :(
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

In other words, don't worry about evil in the future because it's bad enough right now.

On that note, I think the dialogue is the best of any show since Deadwood. The amount of double entendres (or just subtle foreshadowing), amazing conversations, characters that respond in their own unique (and consistent) ways...

pulga

Banned
Also, have I said before that I think that Chalky's daughter will be a major character next season?

i cant breathe

what a fantastic season finale

was also denied breath during nucky vs eli at gunpoint, when Harrow blew Chalky's daughter away and of course, dat eli vs knox fight scene. amazing, so visceral

best season yet?

Hindle

Banned
Such a touching ending.

It's great they're continuing with the Narcisse/Chalky storyline, I expect thier war to become even more bloody in S5. A shame we saw the last of Richard, but his story had come to an end with Tommy finally getting a stable life. The whole scene with Richard seeing them in the house and his face restored was very well shot.

i cant breathe

what a fantastic season finale

was also denied breath during nucky vs eli at gunpoint, when Harrow blew Chalky's daughter away and of course, dat eli vs knox fight scene. amazing, so visceral

best season yet?

It was such a slow paced season but I hung of every single interaction between characters. It didn't have as much action as others but the characters felt so well written.

pulga

Banned
Harrow definitely needed to go. One of the best characterS, but last season's killing spree made him OP. Sad to see him go, but his story reached a satisfying conclusion

Hindle

Banned
I was disappointed Eli didn't get killed off. He's another character who's story has kind of run its course.

I think they're going to run with the "Nucky will regret not killing Eli arc" for S5. It's the only reason as to why I think they've kept the character around.

I was disappointed Eli didn't get killed off. He's another character who's story has kind of run its course.

I think they're going to run with the "Nucky will regret not killing Eli arc" for S5. It's the only reason as to why I think they've kept the character around.

I think keeping Eli alive is more indicative of the Capone/Thompson storylines becoming more entangled as the Capone empire begins to come into its own.

NeoGiff

I think keeping Eli alive is more indicative of the Capone/Thompson storylines becoming more entangled as the Capone empire begins to come into its own.

Can't wait to see the show focusing a lot more on Chicago and New York. Capone is just coming into his own. No more Mr. nice Gaius.

Linius

Sad to see Richard go, but they gave him a beautiful end imo. Though him missing a target that easy weirded me out a bit.

Good we're keeping both Narcisse and Chalky on board. Narcisse apparently going to rat on Garvey to save his ass if I understood it right. So I guess they'll cast someone to play Marcus Garvey then?

Chicago suffered just another hit, it's been mostly misery for the Capones this season with all these attacks. And what's up with old school gangsters not knowing that if you shoot someone in the head/heart they're most likely to die. They always shoot like six bullets and the target still manages to live. Eli going to the Capones surprised me, wonder how that happened and what he's going to do there.

Oh and Margeret and Arnold looked like a happy family, very curious to see what Arnolds story for next season will be.

All in all a satisfying finale, great great show guys.

He didn't need to go ;_;

I think there was only so much more to do with him. He was either going to die, or go off to live with his wife and Tommy and disappear. Either way he'd be gone. There are only so many times you can keep him on as this super assassin that Nucky can call on when he needs some people whacked. I think in that sense his arc ended nicely. I think they are done (hopefully) with the whole Tommy/Gillian storyline too and that was the one he was more closely linked to. Now it is going to move on to a greater focus on Chicago and NY (with Rothstein and Margaret) next season.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. My cable cut out and my girlfriend told me that it ended with Harrow going to live with a new family on a farm where he could run around in open fields. And Owen was there too and they both played together and ate until their bellies were full and warm.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. My cable cut out and my girlfriend told me that it ended with Harrow going to live with a new family on a farm where he could run around in open fields. And Owen was there too and they both played together and ate until their bellies were full and warm.

He was also listening to Journey.

Saty

I don't think they could have come up with worse 2 last episodes if they deliberately tried. What an absolute whimper of a finale. Did really anyone hope\expect\want this episode to fold how it did with how high the stakes were just 2 episodes ago and everybody theorizing what would happen? And that the fucking casualty is Maybelle? Woopedoo.

So what did we have:

1. Nucky in the clear yet again thanks to PURE LUCK and HAPPENSTANCE. Thanks a lot Elli's wife for talking too much -- Nucky would have had ZERO CLUE. The meeting would have taken place; bombs would have dropped; major shakeup for the show would have been in place. Now? Nada.

What do you want me to say? And how many times does it need to happen so most of you here stop overlooking it? Lets recap: Nucky was saved by pure luck thanks to the world's worst assassin in S2. Guy simply went face-on in plain sight inside the club and shot Nucky in the hand instead of any one of the countless methods assassins do their job (one of which Harrow presented in this finale). Thank you stupid writing! Nucky saved by pure luck in S2's end when one of Nucky's servants suddenly shares with him info about Van-Alden's murder which pulled the plug on Nucky's trial. Again, Nucky had no idea about it, never attempted to dig up dirt on the Van Alden, nothing. Thank you never-to-be-seen-again character to volunteer live-saving info into Nucky's lap.
And last season Nucky was again saved thanks to luck because someone chatted him up so he doesn't die from the bomb (and depending on how bomb was detonated it could also be the world's worst bomber).

For some reason this wasn't enough for a lot of people here to find it egregious or to fault the show.
And now, what would have been a game-changer to show, locking Nucky away, was nullified thanks to what? Nucky's detective skills? Hard work? Intelligence? Nope. He only got wind of it because some secondary character blabbered in his presence. COME THE FUCK ON.

You might not mind, you might not care, you might not think about it twice. But you can not, in any shape or form, deny that this is simply bad and inexcusable writing in its greatest severity. Four times have the writers saved Nucky from life-turning events by throwing him an artificial lifeline out of the blue. Deus Ex Machina turned to 11.

2. Where did the showdown go? Nucky-Chalky-Narcisse. Forget the fact that Nucky had only 7 people guarding the house in these delicate times and the implausibility of Chalky sneaking up on them, all the build-up amounted to nothing - namely, all three are alive. I wanted blood. Again, i wanted tough decisions. Narcisse or Chalky - one of the had to go. The city ain't big enough, they were at each other's throats, Narcisse was already saved once by the writers.

And that's the 'payoff'? Maybelle biting the dust? With all due respect of her being his daughter, that's not really high-stakes in terms of her contribution to the show. How is her death furthers Chalky's character? He pretty much already had Nucky and Narcisse on his blacklist. Maybelle isn't the caliber of a character you expect to be offed in a finale especially when the stage was set for big stuff to go down for main characters.

3. And how did Maybelle die? I don't think i remember such a crude pulling-out of a early plot card to tie the end. Oh, right, Harrow has troubles pulling the trigger so he couldn't take the shot when it was clean for some seconds. This has felt like all the 'Richard can't kill' thread was done just so it can be used here to sacrifice Maybelle. And i'm still unsure of the whole reason Richard stopped killing in the first place and that whole arc was lame from the start of the season.

4. Big decisions is also why i disliked the interrupted confrontation between the two brothers. Kill Eli or let him and go. Whatever you chose, substantiate Nuck'y character as this or that. Don't defuse the situation because Will barges in and ofc Nucky wouldn't think to kill Eli in front of him.

5. Knox pays the price and killed. The safest and least destabilizing choice to make. And by the looks of it, Eli will be just fine in Chicago.

6. Why the heck did Daughter leave Chalky? One moment she urges him to go away with her; the next he agrees to first thing in the morning but then she suddenly leaves at night going god knows where. What's the point?

--
The last minute was beautifully filmed and edited. Yes it made sense for Harrow's character and there was the clear scent of giving him closure but i do think they fluffed his character and arc this season.

Saty gonna Saty.

The obvious thing would have been to kill Chalky or Narcisse. What happened to Chalky is much worse. I bet he wishes he were dead. He's lost his club (power) and his family.

If Nucky isn't in legal trouble/handcuffs, then that apparently equates to him walking away scott free again at the end of this season. Even though last season he lost his wife and kids, this season saw him lose his business partner, brother and any sense of family. But yeah, the dude isn't in a federal prison so we can't go through the 'shake up' you want of chronicling him making licence plates all through next season.

iNvid02

Extremely disappointed about Harrow. I'm more upset that he missed his target than him dying. Kind of ruined the finale for me honestly. Most of the time when TV shows do something that's harsh, but necessary, it works out in the end and you ultimately feel satisfied. I don't feel that right now at all. I get why he missed, why the writers went where they went, but it's too frustrating for me to accept.

yeah, harrows ending scenes dulled the anger and frustration somewhat but god damn that was a let down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom