• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob Dylan accused of raping 12 year old

nush

Last edited:

Teslerum

56 years before reporting it seems a little odd...
Not impossible, there are plenty of such cases that the victim keeps to themselves for decades. It's not uncommon at all for it to come out with an end of a statue of limitation approaching.

That said, of course this needs to be properly investigated and as long as it isn't to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Especially if it involves celebrities and even on *normal* cases petty revenge is still a thing.

We'll never know for sure. Proving something that happened behind closed doors over 50 years ago is almost impossible.
Pretty much. A lot of these cases go nowhere.

Winter John

Gold Member
Yeah, bullshit. He was at the height of his fame and surrounded by people everywhere he went. 65 was also the year he got married. It's unbelievable to think this guy was out there raping kids in full view of everyone and nobody said a word. Especially the likes of Joan Baez. She definitely wouldn't have been able to keep her mouth shut.

B D Joe

60s-70s was nothing but drugs and rape

Thats your parents/grandparents, they're all rapey
Apologies yours touched you up.

but all I know is my grandparents were the kindest and nicest people I've ever met. And I'm sure 99% of normal people were too. It's just celebrities that have always been degenerates and abused their positions it seems including current ones.

Also until found guilty it seems unfair to name people. Mud sticks and all that?

Last edited:

INC

Apologies yours touched you up.

but all I know is my grandparents were the kindest and nicest people I've ever met. And I'm sure 99% of normal people were too. It's just celebrities that have always been degenerates and abused their positions it seems including current ones.

Also until found guilty it seems unfair to name people. Mud sticks and all that?

The lady doth protest too much

Yeah but when. He didnt have a time window during those dates. Remember something similar happened to Justin Bieber last year that was instantly disproved by a public alibi. I mean of course I would listen to see if the woman is credible but could be a doppelgänger could be anything. No rush I got time not to jump to conclusions like the degenERAtes

Last edited:

stn

As a lawyer myself, I wonder how they would prove this? I don't know anything about DNA testing and rape kits, but it seems like too much time has passed? For example, if there were any witnesses, they could be deceased.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As a lawyer myself, I wonder how they would prove this? I don't know anything about DNA testing and rape kits, but it seems like too much time has passed? For example, if there were any witnesses, they could be deceased.

Honestly, they don't need to.

If they can manage to put a big enough dent in his brand, his managers will convince him to pony up the cash and quickly.

And I'm not talking whether it's true or false, since I have no idea about the facts of the case.

I think the amount of this kind of shit that went on with celebrities in the 1960s would make your skin crawl. Who knows if Dylan did this or not, but I think there was definitely a sort of tacit acceptance of this shit in Hollywood circles.

INC

The accusations will come in like a hurricane, it'll gather more momentum like a rolling stone, things have changed, he best get shelter from the storm thats coming, because a hard rain is gonna fall, its the end of the line

Last edited:

B D Joe

But you never met Bob Dylan tho..... 👀
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

The timing is not as weird as so many people in this thread seem to think. A lot of musicians back then were very rapey and having sex with underage groupies, but it wasn't really brought to light until the 21st century because:

1. People genuinely didn't care. It wasn't considered as big of a deal back in the day, and most people generally looked the other way when it came to sexual abuse. Same thing with child abuse and spousal abuse, which was pretty much encouraged back then.

2. Many victims don't come forward with their abuse until years later for various reasons, including fear of their abusers, or the simple fact that, going back to point 1, the total lack of empathy from others. Do you know how many rape kits simply go untested by police departments? It's a lot. Plus they often get accused of lying or just wanting attention even if they are telling the truth.

3. Someone like Bob Dylan is a millionaire who can afford the best legal defense in the world, plus being highly revered and having hardcore defenders who will wave away even the strongest evidence. It can make a victim feel like it's hopeless.

Now I'm not saying he's actually guilty, but just like you can't declare him guilty simply for being accused, you can't just wave away the accusations due to timing or your thoughts on "cancel culture" as a whole.

I mean, look at Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, or Dan Schneider. It took decades before their behavior came to light. But most people would agree that those men are all predators. These are powerful people that are hard to fight against.

The entire entertainment industry is crawling with scumbags, predators, and abusers, and this has been proven many times throughout history. It's not impossible that Bob Dylan could be one of them.

A lot of people will say "oh, let's wait for all the facts" but then they'll completely ignore and refuse to listen to anything an accuser has to say. I mean, I still see people defending Chris Conley from Saves The Day, and he literally admitted to being a predator and flat out said all the accusations against him are true. And yet people still rush to his defense because he made some great music.

But the point is, just like you can't automatically assume that he's guilty, you can't automatically assume that he's innocent either. We should at least listen to what the accuser has to say.

Then again, people will go to absurd lengths to discredit and slander victims and sympathize with their abusers, and it's honestly fucking disgusting.

MacReady13

What timeframe from an alleged sexual assault victim would be more comfortable and convincing for you?
I'm not saying he is innocent or guilt. I'm just saying if he did do this to her, why not come forward before the 50 years? Why wait until now? When the metoo movement movement was happening MANY women came forward. Did she forget about it?

nush

I'm not saying he is innocent or guilt. I'm just saying if he did do this to her, why not come forward before the 50 years? Why wait until now? When the metoo movement movement was happening MANY women came forward. Did she forget about it?
He didn't sell his catalogue for the most money ever until Last December.

MacReady13

He didn't sell his catalogue for the most money ever until Last December.
So you're equating raping a 12 year old and keeping it a secret for 50 years the equivalent to selling your catalog almost 9 months ago? What do the 2 have in common? You're saying he knew this charge was coming and decided to sell his catalog in Dec and it was sold same day?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So you're equating raping a 12 year old and keeping it a secret for 50 years the equivalent to selling your catalog almost 9 months ago? What do the 2 have in common? You're saying he knew this charge was coming and decided to sell his catalog in Dec and it was sold same day?
I think he is saying that the timing of the civil suit for damages and the large injection of liquidity to the accused are related.
I don't agree, this was obviously timed with the end of the ability to file a civil suit but that could be because they wanted all the time they had to develop their case.

The timing is not as weird as so many people in this thread seem to think. A lot of musicians back then were very rapey and having sex with underage groupies, but it wasn't really brought to light until the 21st century because:

1. People genuinely didn't care. It wasn't considered as big of a deal back in the day, and most people generally looked the other way when it came to sexual abuse. Same thing with child abuse and spousal abuse, which was pretty much encouraged back then.

2. Many victims don't come forward with their abuse until years later for various reasons, including fear of their abusers, or the simple fact that, going back to point 1, the total lack of empathy from others. Do you know how many rape kits simply go untested by police departments? It's a lot. Plus they often get accused of lying or just wanting attention even if they are telling the truth.

3. Someone like Bob Dylan is a millionaire who can afford the best legal defense in the world, plus being highly revered and having hardcore defenders who will wave away even the strongest evidence. It can make a victim feel like it's hopeless.

Now I'm not saying he's actually guilty, but just like you can't declare him guilty simply for being accused, you can't just wave away the accusations due to timing or your thoughts on "cancel culture" as a whole.

I mean, look at Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, or Dan Schneider. It took decades before their behavior came to light. But most people would agree that those men are all predators. These are powerful people that are hard to fight against.

The entire entertainment industry is crawling with scumbags, predators, and abusers, and this has been proven many times throughout history. It's not impossible that Bob Dylan could be one of them.

A lot of people will say "oh, let's wait for all the facts" but then they'll completely ignore and refuse to listen to anything an accuser has to say. I mean, I still see people defending Chris Conley from Saves The Day, and he literally admitted to being a predator and flat out said all the accusations against him are true. And yet people still rush to his defense because he made some great music.

But the point is, just like you can't automatically assume that he's guilty, you can't automatically assume that he's innocent either. We should at least listen to what the accuser has to say.

Then again, people will go to absurd lengths to discredit and slander victims and sympathize with their abusers, and it's honestly fucking disgusting.
That industry is just rotten. If you think its bad now, imagine what went on pre-internet. Hell rockstars wrote songs about underage girls for fucks sake, and no one bats an eye. Jerry Seinfeld ran around with an underage girlfriend in the 90s. Led Zeppelin had some teenage girl that had running around with them. This stuff was all out in the open. Imagine what wasn’t. There was the sort of tacit acceptance of it, especially after the 1960s. And scummy people gravitate to that industry for obvious reasons. I’m not saying every accusation is true, but there was a culture that fostered this kind of shit. It still exists today, but it’s more subdued.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am so tired of these... Everyone is rapist because he flirted or fucked with a drunk girl 60 years ago.
12yo is sus but it's so long ago. There is no point dragging this out now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom