• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Body of assassinated Russian diplomat used in Telltale's Batman game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wow same as the destiny thread. Is every single person supposed to know about every event in every country for the last million years? Holy shit, if I saw that photo I would have no idea what it was from.

oh, sorry i don't know the winners of the "World Press Photo contest"

Not everyone watches the news and not everyone knows of these sorts of contests. I certainly didn't know of this contest.

Of course, EVERYONE knows about the World Press Photo Contest...

The heck are you people making excuses for this...?

And such a lame excuse too. "Ooops I don't know" should not be used as a reason to defend mistakes such as this.

Rappy

The heck are you people making excuses for this...?

And such a lame excuse too. "Ooops I don't know" should not be used as a reason to defend mistakes such as this.
The argument is about how someone could mistake this photo for something not famous, not how the person who used this image is totally in the right/professional.

Izuna

Banned
Wow same as the destiny thread. Is every single person supposed to know about every event in every country for the last million years? Holy shit, if I saw that photo I would have no idea what it was from.

If you have no idea, don't use it because it might not be license free.

Also, we have image searching...

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member
The argument is about how someone could mistake this photo for something not famous, not how the person who used this image is totally in the right/professional.
It's the kind of mistake that could have been easily prevented if they just did a few minutes of research.

Fat4all

Banned
*drag*

*drop into Google*

Hs0KYeg.png

Wow. This is really beyond the pale. Not to mention straight-up copyright theft of an award-winning photograph. I mean, can you imagine if you were a son or daughter of this man who fired up Batman and saw your dad laying there? Horrific.

More than one person massively fucked up at Telltale: 1) the artist, 2) the project manager for not vetting the assets used. It's not only illegal, but just extremely tasteless. I don't believe for a second that the artist thought it was clip art; if they did, they still would've had to get clearance and purchase it.

As someone who sources stock images for clients, someone fucked up. There's no way they bought that photo legitimately without knowing what it was. So it was probably grabbed from somewhere without even paying for it. But who knows.

R00bot

I'm honestly surprised anyone could have missed this in the news, it was all over the news and the photos were and still are incredibly shocking, specifically because of their sterile and movie-like nature.

I find it hard to believe that this was a mistake, but even if it was, it's so incompetent that it's almost as bad as if it was on purpose.

jmizzal

I think the person that put the pic in thought it was a fake pic and just used it, prob did a lazy google search for pics

So yea they prob gonna be fired

Marcel

I'll add that while non-creatives may not know the World Photo Contest it is a prestigious contest that has been going on for 63 years. You probably have seen the photos of past winners featured in textbooks, documentaries, video news stories and world educational material. Any artist worth his or her salt should be aware of the excellent work that is showcased by them every year.

km5aWfS.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I bet the game character isnt even Russian.

Slayven

All the money they make that doesn't go into fixing their janky ass engine, you would think they would have better artists

Wtf? There had to have been an easier, less shitty way of going about that.

What the hell was the thought process that lead to this decision

Syriel

I think you're being incredibly generous with how many people in America would a) pay attention to that and b) recognize that event in the photo as an actual event.

Of course, EVERYONE knows about the World Press Photo Contest...

The photo contest wasn't a massive news event, but the assassination sure was.

It was a top story for multiple days, and that photo was everywhere.

Unless you were completely disconnected from the Internet, TV, and newspapers during the month it happened, it would have been impossible to miss.

wandering

Banned
I’m surprised by how many people were unaware of the assassination. The story made international headlines, and dominated the internet.

jond76

Banned
Wait, is that second photo real shot of the crime scene? Could da mistook it for a scene from a Bond movie

I think right here may have been why it was used. The lighting, etc make it look like a movie still.

I remember when this happened everyone was taken aback on how well photographed the event was.

Bizarre.

The photo contest wasn't a massive news event, but the assassination sure was.

It was a top story for multiple days, and that photo was everywhere.

Unless you were completely disconnected from the Internet, TV, and newspapers during the month it happened, it would have been impossible to miss.

I was aware of the assassination, but I've never seen that picture until this thread. Heck, the link in the OP to CNN doesn't even use that pic. Not to mention, it happened days before Christmas, so it's not surprising if everyone wasn't completely paying attention and have that picture slipped by. I'm not trying to excuse Telltale's fuck up, but I can see how someone might not have seen that picture.

DesiacX

Honestly, unless you were aware of the assassination, the real image looks like a production still released for a movie.

To add to this, due to how unreal the photo looked, it became a meme for a month or so. While i'm 100% sure whoever put this in didn't do so with the knowledge of what it was, RIP them.

Syriel

I was aware of the assassination, but I've never seen that picture until this thread. Heck, the link in the OP to CNN doesn't even use that pic. Not to mention, it happened days before Christmas, so it's not surprising if everyone wasn't completely paying attention and have that picture slipped by. I'm not trying to excuse Telltale's fuck up, but I can see how someone might not have seen that picture.

The assassination happened on live TV.

Very similar images were posted on the first page of the GAF thread, including one from CNN which was just a different angle.

If you completely ignore international news, maybe you could miss it. But it's not like this was some small event that only got local coverage overseas, especially with the shooter's rant about Syria and Turkish/Russian relations at the time.

I mean... I can understand if the artist didn't know that was a real photo of a dead body. It looked staged and not everyone can remember every single event, and pictures about it even if it won awards.

But basically cut and pasting the picture into the artwork without any editing, not vetting it to see if it was a stock photo by Telltale or the artist themselves and well...

Lo_Fi

How the fuck does that even happen?

Random images are used for placeholder art all the time in games. You just are supposed to replace them before you ship.

I've only worked on indie games, so I don't know what a AAA studio's process is, but I can see how you might miss something with 1000's of art assets in your game.

That's just an explanation for how an unsourced image makes it into the game. This specific one? Not sure, maybe they googled "dead body" and used one of the first images? I certainly had never seen that image before, and it does look like a movie still.

Again, not excusing it. Just explaining how it might have happened.

It's likely this was a piece of reference that was mistakenly left in the game instead of getting redone. I really doubt they would do this on purpose given that it is:
A) Super fucked
B) Illegal

Exactly. Every time something like this happens (like with Naughty Dog), people assume malice. Sure, that's possible, but from a game dev's perspective it seems reasonable that it was a mistake.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This is where it's probably correct to say "lazy dev".

Legal's gonna have a fit.

The pic's so good because pro photographers were there, and it was at an art gallery which had good lighting and backdrop.

Top Bottom