• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Body of assassinated Russian diplomat used in Telltale's Batman game.

Ultimadrago

That's fucked up, Telltale. Though I honestly had no idea that image was not from a film. It has strong composition. Granted I'm not very up-to-date on these things.

Marcel

Somebody probably thought it was a stock photo.

Always source your assets, people. Keeps stupid stuff like this from happening.

Whoever at Telltale thought the photograph of a recent and newsworthy assassination of a Russian diplomat was a stock photo is an idiot.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

How was this only found out now?????

Rellik

Yeah, I thought that was fishy too but if you do a reverse search for the photo you'll find the original CNN article from last December. Basically, guy was speaking at an art gallery and was shot moments later.

Because yeah, at face value even the second shot doesn't look "real" but it in fact is.
Here is the article on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/20/europe/ankara-russia-ambassador-shooter/index.html

I mean this isn't some unknown thing. The video was everywhere at the time.

Honestly, unless you were aware of the assassination, the real image looks like a production still released for a movie.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Why, have they done something similar?

Using stock photos as the basis for in game art is very common (this thread mentions a few examples).

It looks like this person confused this image from the news with a stock photo (which they should’ve paid for anyway) instead.

Stock photos get used very often and when it’s really obvious it can be weird so you might get a news article or two and some complaints on forums.

This, however seems to be a very very very bad mistake. Not only was the image used copied completely but it seems they just grabbed any old image without properly vetting it. It’s pretty much a worst case for them

Marcel

Honestly, unless you were aware of the assassination, the real image looks like a production still released for a movie.

Regardless of Telltale being stupid that image is the property of an AP photographer and was obviously used without his permission. It won fucking awards. This is why you have staff look into these things before release. What a fuck up.

jabuseika

Regardless of Telltale being stupid that image is the property of an AP photographer and was obviously used without his permission. It won fucking awards. This is why you have staff look into these things before release. What a fuck up.

Yup, someone googled it and used it without permission. Now you have to wonder what else they used without permission.

That original image looks like it came from a film or something.

So this comes from Ep2 and no one else noticed all this time, that's amazing. This should be getting patched real quick.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, someone googled it and used it without permission. Now you have to wonder what else they used without permission.

There’s actually a possibility it was illegally uploaded to a stock photo site by someone else trying to profit for the image. That’s unfortunately not all the uncommon. Which is exactly why it’s the artists responsibility to double check this stuff before it’s published

Ashtar

Ineptitude in game development. Shocked.
Yeah, clearly this shows that all developers are completely inept /s if you think game developers are so inept why are you even on a gaming forum?

But on topic yeah that's a huge oversight, and shows the importance of sourcing.

I look forward to the patch and apology

Top Bottom