• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOMBA? Variety Grown Ups 2 Tracking Higher than Pacific Rim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timing is key for Legendary as it looks to broker a new pact. Tull’s company has a lot riding on the success of Guillermo del Toro’s “Pacific Rim,” a more than $200 million-budgeted tentpole, which is facing some hurdles in exciting moviegoers before its July 12 release despite getting a major promotional push since last summer’s Comic-Con in San Diego.

Early tracking for the film is so far disappointing with audiences showing more interest in Sony Pictures’ sequel “Grown Ups 2,” which also opens that weekend. Some are comparing “Pacific Rim” to to Saban’s “Power Rangers” kids franchise or Japanese anime. As a result, expect a last-minute marketing blitz from distributor and 25% investor Warner Bros. to try to turn around those numbers. While the studio is advancing the film’s P&A costs, it risks losing a lot of money if the movie does not perform.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/warner-bros-no-longer-in-legendarys-future-1200501572/

I hope that isn't the case the movie has a lot of promise.

*UPDATE*
Guillermo del Toro Rallies Fans to Counter Negative 'Pacific Rim' Press

“We just need to keep working. Our numbers are going up. Not in a minor way. Significant. We are on the right track,” del Toro wrote on the forum of Deltorofilms.com, which bills itself as the official fan site of the filmmaker.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guillermo-del-toro-rallies-fans-576595

jerry113

Banned
Didn't they also track World War Z to make a quarter of what it actually did on its opening weekend? Grain of salt.

The sad thing is I told my brother yesterday I thought Grown Ups 2 would beat Pacific Rim that weekend and it looks like I was right =( .

Why is this surprising? One is an established, financially successfully franchise (as sad as that may be) and the other is an unknown property that looks fairly silly. If Pacific Rim is truly good, it will have legs and that's all that matters.

Also, tracking (especially three weeks out) means next to nothing.

Polari

I called this in one of the After Earth threads. Hard to see how it can make back a budget that big. I still think it will do OK, probably John Carter numbers at least ($282 mil WW).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I saw the original Grown Ups with a friend at my university's campus theater. So it was free. No hyperbole, neither of us laughed or smirked even once the entire time. I was kinda surprised because my friend has a totally different sense of humor, usually into the goofy type of stuff. Never again. GU2 looks even more half baked than the first one.

But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if it does better. I haven't heard many people talking about Pacific Rim in a positive way on social media, unless they were already into anime or these type of sci fi films. That's a problem. There really isn't a star that's going to attract an audience either.

I hope it turns out well, at least. And I'm sure it will do stellar overseas.

Makoto

There really isn't a star that's going to attract an audience either.
Audiences won't even come out for J.J. Abrams?

PR_DR_Newt_Geiszler.jpg

G-Fex

Wow @ Power Ranger comparisons.

I didn't want to say it but.....yeah.

Grown Ups?

Wow people man.

No wonder Identity Thief made so much money.

Road

$200 million for Pacific Rim?

The reasonable gentlemen who greenlited this should be working in the video game industry.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Audiences won't even come out for J.J. Abrams?

1. I had the same thought when I first saw Day in costume.
2. Please tell me they aren't using that to promote the movie in theaters.

All the people I was at STID with said the PR trailer looked lame and were laughing at it. To be honest I'm not thinking it looks very good either.

Tomas

Banned
Grown Ups 2 is coming?! Sweet, more of Adam Sandler's funny voice!

On topic, I don't really see Pacific Rim appealing to many people. It is literally transformers + godzilla (at the first glance) but with no recognizable characters or IPs. No big name actors either.
Is it marketed towards children? I assume families and couples are not interested in this movie, but you know which movie is for families and couples? GROWN UPS 2!
All I see is marketing push for geeks of fantasy and Sci-Fi. My must see movie, because I am a part of that audience.

Tamanon

Banned
The trailer doesn't look that great IMO. And $200 million is absolutely silly for a budget for a movie of that caliber. Not sure where the mass appeal will come from.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"But we put giant robots for every country! How can it not be a hit in all of those countries? Don't people want to go see their country's giant robots?"

Should have had 16 years old kids as leads if they were going to go in the direction they did, with some love story or whatever. Can't make giant robots fighting godzillas campy with a bunch of grown ups in it, not with that budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom