• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombastic = BRILLIANT

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You owe it to yourself to buy this game now, only $5 at Circuit City and $10 at walmart.com. This game is so damn fun. The game is basically a puzzle game. It gives you a board full of dice and you have to trigger an explosion by rolling a die around and matching the face number to another die. Once you get two die to match, they will set to explode and you can continue the combo by having the exploding die match another die or have the other die's face number 1 less than the exploding die. The result is a crazy game that forces to run around frantically trying to keep the combo alive, while trying to avoid the explosions itself. This game rocks! There's no excuse to pass it up, this game is totally worth the $10. Just watch some movies at IGN or something, it's so fun

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It is fantastic. And you get the original Devil Dice (Xi) and Xi Jumbo, which to be honest is fucking insane. I tried playing it, but the number of extra rules and options are truly mind blowing.
Sadly, this will be the last one. (xi go pronounced saigo, "last" in Japanese. It being the last one is just what I've heard, but if I'm wrong, happily prove me so.)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Saint Cornelius said:
Is this the sequel to Devil Dice / XI? That game was hella fresh.

It's the third game in the series, there were two on PS1.

I'm still sorta pissed that the US version's controls for Xi Jumbo rules are messed-up in the game (but are written to be the same as the Japanese version in the US manual).

BeOnEdge

Banned
I HAVE IT AND I JUST DONT GET IT. :( I was making the dice explode and stuff but i didnt feel like it was my doing. all i was doing was matching dice. that cant be all there is to it.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
No that's pretty much what you do in the game. Set up comboes and don't get blown up.

The play mechanics aren't very complex.

Don't forget to try the 5-player mode - it's some of the best party action you can find. The original Devil Dice was the big multiplayer hit around these parts for years, and was only improved upon by the multiple rule sets in Xi Go.

If you guys have PS2s that can play imports, also check out "Otostaz." It's a totally nutty and awesome puzzle game developed by Shift, the guys behind Xi, and can be had pretty cheap on eBay these days. The strange gameplay involves dropping icons representing trees, ground, and water onto a scrolling landscape to influence the growth of the largest buildings possible onto a plot of land before it scrolls off-screen. It's quite hard, but once you get it down it's ridiculously satisfying to pull off large, intentional, combos. On top of that the art style and music is some of the best I've seen in ANY game, much less a puzzle game.

I actually grabbed a few of the official videos back when the game first came out, and have them hosted if anyone wants to check them out. You won't be able to figure out exactly how to play from them - this is definitely a game where playing through the tutorials is essential - but they'll at least give you an idea of the wackiness that ensues.

This is the best of the vids, and if you want to see more you can do so here.

WarPig

If you guys have PS2s that can play imports, also check out "Otostaz." It's a totally nutty and awesome puzzle game developed by Shift, the guys behind Xi, and can be had pretty cheap on eBay these days.

Ah, so that was good? I never played it, but I thought it looked pretty nifty. Kind of reminded me of the old board game Acquire.

DFS.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ok, I'm convinced.

I just purchased the non-GH version of Devil Dice (complete) for the PSOne for about 20 bucks, and ordered Bombastic for 9.82 from Walmart.com.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mejilan said:
Ok, I'm convinced.

I just purchased the non-GH version of Devil Dice (complete) for the PSOne for about 20 bucks, and ordered Bombastic for 9.82 from Walmart.com.

You fool! Bombastic has Devil Dice in it!
Ah, what does it matter, you're a collector, heh.

Mejilan

I didn't miss the prior comment, about the latter containing the former. But by getting both as they were originally intended, my soul is at peace. :)

siege

Banned
Bombastic has the original Devil Dice puzzle mode? I don't remember ever seeing that, only the classic mode.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Xi / Devil Dice - PS1 game, puzzle mode, redbook audio.

Xi Jumbo - PS1 game, not released in US, added co-op puzzle mode, different dice types, the ability to jump and throw dice, 2P-specific versus mode.

Xi Go - PS2 game, allows unlocking of Xi and Xi Jumbo rules in Endless / Limited modes in game, does NOT have Xi's puzzles, Xi Jumbo's block types or puzzles or co-op puzzles or 2P versus mode. Only the ability to play using the old rulesets in the new game.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
bobbyconover said:
If you guys have PS2s that can play imports, also check out "Otostaz." It's a totally nutty and awesome puzzle game developed by Shift, the guys behind Xi, and can be had pretty cheap on eBay these days.

Sorry for the bump -- just wanted to say that Otostaz was developed by a group called Brainbox, not Shift. I don't think Shift's ever done other than Xi series games. I wasn't able to find any more information on Brainbox, but a number of the employees have worked on other SCEI games, so I'm almost wondering if it's just the name of an internal team.

The Otostaz intro movies and whatnot were done by Alvion.

Also, on the Xi tip -- the WonderSwan version is fairly nice, other than the requisite terrible sound. It's got a large number of puzzle stages, which I might possibly prefer to the regular gameplay, and which I sorely miss in Bombastic.

Prospero

BeOnEdge said:
I HAVE IT AND I JUST DONT GET IT. :( I was making the dice explode and stuff but i didnt feel like it was my doing. all i was doing was matching dice. that cant be all there is to it.

Play the 100-level game mode until level 50 or so and see if you still think that "matching dice" is too easy. That little devil dude will be tearassing all over the board, flipping the hell out. (Stay away from the story mode: it's weak).

Mejilan

Both DD and Bombastic have arrived. I've yet to try them out, but I've put them on the backlog with Puyo Pop Fever and Culdcept as the 'weird console games I need to make time for' list.

Top Bottom