• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross and 343 on the Future of the MCC. Game Getting Update Early 2018

Defect

Back in 2014 I only wanted MCC and didn't care about 5.

Now in 2017 I don't care about MCC and I only want Halo 6.

Good luck with the updates though!

Spade

Thank you!! So happy right now. I'm willing to wait until 343 believes it's truly ready. Definitely better late than never.

Obligatory: I'd like a PC port of MCC. Would re-buy.

Ooh. Could be a way of garnering hype for the eventual halo 6 reveal and release next year.

I, though in a minority, am excited by the SP future of halo. Though the story of 5 was a mixed bag, it's ending and implications are exciting. So down for a battlestar galactica esque story if done well.

I just hope they don't balance the campaign expecting people to play 4 player co op again. I want my solo chief missions, and for chief to be the main playable character.

bede-x

If they fix it so you can complete something like Halo 2 in coop, without going out of sync with your coop partner, they deserve a lot of respect. Sure, it should have worked from the beginning, but going back to it this late, shows a lot of respect for the franchise. And MCC really deserves that.

I wonder if LAN support will be broached for this update? With the originals on XB1 via BC I'm not looking for it as much as I was back in 2014 but it still would be nice to have 1-4 accessible to a party offline.

mcrommert

Banned
Does the fact that they're committing resources to MCC in 2018 mean the next proper Halo is 2019?

With how Bonnie was talking about the next game, is there any chance it is a 2018 game?

Not because of Mcc but it has become obvious that halo 6 is 2019

This will be the oldest game (not counting the specific age of the games in the collection) getting X support right? Nothing else from 2013/2014 comes to mind.

TaKeRx

All my friends and I thought this was forgotten, but we are so happy that it's getting a patch. I'll never forget my first halo party...

Hype worthy patch?

I've been really enjoying the Halo 3 playlist in Halo 5, so looking forward to trying this update out on Xbox One X.

My guess is a relaunch of the game with new features and built for Win 10 as well.

I would prefer that Halo 3 get the Anniversary treatment over Reach. Reach still looks very good as far as I can remember. 3 though? Some faces could use a nice update.

Waypoint updated with the official summary.
Fans of classic Halo games also have a lot to look forward to with today’s announcement that Halo: TheMaster Chief Collection will receive enhancements for Xbox One X, as well as fixes, improvements and upgrades to the core game to help bring it forward and modernize many of the game’s systems to take advantage of Xbox platform advancements since its original launch.

While we’re incredibly excited by this opportunity to go back under the hood with MCC, it’s not going to be easy nor is it going to happen overnight. To help facilitate this process we’re planning to roll out a public “flighting” program for MCC to allow for iterative patches and updates while testing in the wild at large scale. Right now, we’re targeting kicking this off next spring and when the time comes we’ll need the support of our community to help test and provide feedback at large scale as we work to update and improve MCC. We’ll share additional details and timing as plans are locked.

anothertech

And the last 2 years of no material updates were because...

Sorry. Still salty on this one guys. Saying "I Care Now!" is a little misleading.

jviggy43

They could just give it it's own playlist.

True but they probably won't. At least not for BtB. Maybe if they could allow people to filter what games they'd like to search for? But I feel like thats asking for 100 times too much when were talking about fixing a game released 3 years ago haha. I'm just an old jaded halo fan yelling at clouds.

KageMaru

If prefer that Halo 3 get the Anniversary treatment over Reach. Reach still looks very good as far as I can remember. 3 though? Some faces could use a nice update.

I think asking for Halo 3 Anniversary is asking for too much. I'd love for it to happen but it seems pretty clear that the focus is to make right with the current collection.

And the last 2 years of no material updates were because...

Sorry. Still salty on this one guys. Saying "I Care Now!" is a little misleading.

You know it's not that easy to just care, right? Ske7ch has been pretty open on how this has been a process. Considering all the bitching or trolling in almost every Halo thread, MCC related or not, this is the right move.

gweemz

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Unless you mean campaign.

I was told that it was going to be Halo exactly as I remember it. Superbouncing was part of that. Halo 2 is my second favorite game of all time, but MCC Halo 2 doesn't feel the same.

I still played a bunch of MCC, though, and still play Halo 5 daily.

I'm absolutely on board for checking out whatever improvements they have for the game. I still have it installed, I'd love to play through all the campaigns again, and I even booted up Halo 3 on its tenth birthday (both the 360 and MCC versions). I hope they give it an honest effort.

Things I'd like:
• Actual custom spartans. Not these weird prebaked sets. Give me my scout helmet / chest and security shoulders.
• 4k/60 for all the games. I think it's an unreasonable request but it'd be rad.
• Halo Reach at 60. That game had so much replay value.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As you will read later this week there was some chicken/egg with regards to being able to address underlying issues without breaking other stuff.

I'm on a plane about to take off so not ignoring thread after this just airborne.

Please, for the love of all that is holy fix the achievements. Had to stop my complete all 4 campaigns play through halfway through Halo 2 because the achievements relating to level completion just stopped dead. I keep replaying the same level and nothing pops or progresses.

Outside of that, everything else works for me.

VeeP

What I mean is, the brand is damaged with MCC being a huge reason. Can you imagine if they still can’t get it working 100% after this? lol

Yea your right about the brand being damaged. But hopefully 343i can fix this up to working 100% perfectly, and maybe it could be free with GWG to get it working, reigniting some of the population.

Lothars

If they fix it so you can complete something like Halo 2 in coop, without going out of sync with your coop partner, they deserve a lot of respect. Sure, it should have worked from the beginning, but going back to it this late, shows a lot of respect for the franchise. And MCC really deserves that.
No it shows the franchise has been damaged to the point that they need to do this to get an semblance of interest back. MCC does deserve this though and it's great they are doing it but I have no faith in them after Halo 5. If they fix MCC fully and it ends up being the definitive collection than that's a good step but they have a long way to prove that they know what they are doing with Halo.

I think asking for Halo 3 Anniversary is asking for too much. I'd love for it to happen but it seems pretty clear that the focus is to make right with the current collection
You know it's not that easy to just care, right? Ske7ch has been pretty open on how this has been a process. Considering all the bitching or trolling in almost every Halo thread, MCC related or not, this is the right move.
This is the only move that they could have done. they have lost tons of fans because of how they games they have made are.

Jesus, 343, you make my favorite game, but move on. This just adds to the burn for me, I sold my Halo box out of frustration, and also if the game isn't fixed after this it's going to be like release all over again, but worse. Why put the added pressure on your developers when most people had finally forgotten about this mess?

Edit: nevermind.

I wonder if they'll toss in Halo 5 as a freebie with this. I'd assume most people who own MCC have it already but seeing as it's on game pass and cheap now.. Why not include it as a bonus for the relaunch. That way all 117 games are included prior to Halo 6?

KageMaru

This is the only move that they could have done. they have lost tons of fans because of how they games they have made are.

Not that I disagree entirely but they could have done nothing, which is what a lot of people thought they were going to do. I do agree that this is a good step towards earning back some good will.

Lothars

Not that I disagree entirely but they could have done nothing, which is what a lot of people thought they were going to doe I do agree that this is a good step towards earning back some good will.
They have already done nothing for 3 years and MCC still has tons of problems. This is the step in the right direction. So fingers crossed.

malfcn

So much pc port begging. But with the more unified platform and ecosystem, it's too be expected.

Played through CE relatively easy. Halo 2 had major problems, loading out of sync etc. Halo 3 was slightly better than 2. Haven't finished 4 yet. The mp was but and miss for me.

I still think it's a fine package.

bede-x

No it shows the franchise has been damaged to the point that they need to do this to get an semblance of interest back. MCC does deserve this though and it's great they are doing it but I have no faith in them after Halo 5. If they fix MCC fully and it ends up being the definitive collection than that's a good step but they have a long way to prove that they know what they are doing with Halo.

It was probably a difficult project with the game running on different engines, not made easier by the fact that it was handled by different studios, some of them moving on to other projects after it was done. Can't imagine too many companies going back to it under those conditions that long after release. If they get it working that's worth respect IMO. Halo fans deserve an untarnished collection worth cherishing in the years to come.

Top Bottom