• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross and 343 on the Future of the MCC. Game Getting Update Early 2018

I think asking for Halo 3 Anniversary is asking for too much. I'd love for it to happen but it seems pretty clear that the focus is to make right with the current collection.
Oh I completely understand haha! I'm not expecting another Anniversary game. I'm just hoping that IF they ever decide to update a game, that they should go with Halo 3 since, like I mentioned before, Reach still looks good. Halo 3 on the other hand not so much.

But that's just me!

Back in 2014 I only wanted MCC and didn't care about 5.

Now in 2017 I don't care about MCC and I only want Halo 6.

Good luck with the updates though!

As a longtime Halo fan, you never just get that itch to play some classic Halo?

For me, that itch is persistent.

I'm surprised, why now? The game came out 3 years ago and was an absolute disaster. Even after all the updates and fixes the game never really felt like it was totally fixed or was ever going to be. Felt like 343i just gave up after awhile. One of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. Halo deserved SO MUCH better, it should have been a celebration of Halo not the steaming pile of garbage we ended up getting.

I dunno, being such a huge fan of Halo I was just so burnt out by that whole fiasco. This gesture's appreciated but I honestly think it's too little too late.

If it's not obvious the Halo franchise is faltering. Halo 5 is the lowest played entry in the series, looking at population graphs over the series is not pretty. MCC was such a massive bungle it basically made 343i a laughing stock and the franchise largely irrelevant. Halo was one of the gaming titans, how much do you hear about it now? This is a step to get their main fan base back.

The thought of a possible MCC relaunch free for all prior owners, all 4K/60, including firefight and reach, dedicated servers, perfect net play....crosses fingers

Boke1879

I mean it's good they are going to update and fix the game. But god damn it feels too little too late there.

And I gotta hold out until I see how the fixes are implemented. This is something I'd like to pick up simply because this SHOULD be a good value.

The thought of a possible MCC relaunch free for all prior owners, all 4K/60, including firefight and reach, dedicated servers, perfect net play....crosses fingers

I mean there's no way they could try and charge people for this. Of course it would be free.

Would be in for Windows 10 version. Otherwise it'll stay that one elusive Xbone exclusive.

Ikon

I bought an Xbone exclusively to play MCC. I haven't bought a single Microsoft product since all of this mess.

For me, even if this is certainly too little too late, if this indeed fixes all of the issues, I'll atleast consider them again.

RSB

Banned
Put in Halo Reach.
Add Halo Reach (including MP, Firefight and Campaign) ODST Firefight (which still isn't in the game) a UI overhaul and 4k support.

That would be my dream at least, and it would be an awesome way to "re-launch" the game.

As a longtime Halo fan, you never just get that itch to play some classic Halo?

For me, that itch is persistent.
Yep, it never goes away.

statham

I predict this will come to W10 and Steam. They can't launch it on those platforms without fixing it on Xbox, they won't touch single player as thats mostly fine. Only redo multiplayer. All cross-play. MS will launch the mouse controller for XBO by then. It will include Reach.

Veon

Neo Member
I wouldn't mind a repackaged version with everything up to H5 - call it 'The Grand Chief Collection'.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm surprised. Good on Microsoft for letting this happen. I'd also like to thank the devs that make this possible. Soooooooooo thanks!

Blueblur1

This is nice and will be great for those still interested. I’ve more or less moved on from Halo but will maybe I’ll pop in MCC in the future if these fixes actually do improve the player experience.

As for the words on fan feedback; I’ve heard it all before. Pfft.

c0de

Wonder what the business sense is in releasing an update for something that hasn't been touched since March of 2015...if it's not a PC port that is.
MCC, like every other Xbox One game, will potentially be playable on every new Xbox that is to come and will also be available to buy.
So if anyone wants to buy the game most associated to Xbox in the future, he will get a better version than what is available today.
Thinking further, perhaps in the future, MCC will start adding "old" Halos into MCC? Like when Halo 6 releases, Halo 5 will be added to MCC?

KageMaru

It was probably a difficult project with the game running on different engines, not made easier by the fact that it was handled by different studios, some of them moving on to other projects after it was done. Can't imagine too many companies going back to it under those conditions that long after release. If they get it working that's worth respect IMO. Halo fans deserve an untarnished collection worth cherishing in the years to come.

Yeah I can't imagine the daunting task this external team is about to dive into. They'll be working with multiple engines, coded by many different people, and attempt to find what's broken. This will definitely not be a quick and easy process.

Oh I completely understand haha! I'm not expecting another Anniversary game. I'm just hoping that IF they ever decide to update a game, that they should go with Halo 3 since, like I mentioned before, Reach still looks good. Halo 3 on the other hand not so much.

But that's just me!

I hear yah. Outside of the human character models and poor IQ, I think the game has aged pretty well. Great lighting, nice textures, open environments, etc. but it can always look better.

I appreciate it, but I spent $460 to play it the first time around on blind faith. I don't think I've felt as cheated by and been as disappointed in anything in my 27 years of gaming. And I'm really not trying to be a bitter hyperbolic shithead here. I've since given away my Xbone, and they'll first have to prove that it's worth my while before I buy an X for this.

Kind of seems like a load of bullshit that their reasoning behind the game being in such a terrible state for 3 years is Xbox Live.

There's a lot more wrong with the game than just matchmaking problems, even if those are somehow a result of Xbox Live.

Just admit that you took 3+ years to try and fix the game. That's it.

Compsiox

Banned
Kind of seems like a load of bullshit that their reasoning behind the game being in such a terrible state for 3 years is Xbox Live.

There's a lot more wrong with the game than just matchmaking problems, even if those are somehow a result of Xbox Live.

It's more likely Microsoft didn't allow them to allocate the resources to work on it after a certain point. Now it could potentially benefit Microsoft by kind of winning the fans back while also making more compatible (and functioning) content for the Xbox One X.

Love how genuine and honest Bonnie Ross came across in the interview. Glad they are planning on revisiting MCC and trying to realize the potential they envisioned for it originally. Add in Halo Reach and a PC port with everything working properly and 343 will be well on their way to mending any broken relationships with players who were disappointed by the state MCC originally shipped in.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I’m really pleased, and I think a “beta” approach is the most sensible thing to do, given the circumstances. I reckon the early access programme can be partially attributed to this, and I’m surprised Crackdown 3’s MP hasn’t gone straight there given the uniqueness.

Should have been done earlier, though.

Hardvlade

I'm so fucking happy about this. Every now and then I jump into MCC to play a match or two, always thinking "Man, it would be great if they fixed this and added 4k support for the one x" and here we are.

Little late? sure, but thank you 343.

I'm surprised, why now? The game came out 3 years ago and was an absolute disaster. Even after all the updates and fixes the game never really felt like it was totally fixed or was ever going to be. Felt like 343i just gave up after awhile. One of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. Halo deserved SO MUCH better, it should have been a celebration of Halo not the steaming pile of garbage we ended up getting.

I dunno, being such a huge fan of Halo I was just so burnt out by that whole fiasco. This gesture's appreciated but I honestly think it's too little too late.
With Halo 6 not coming before 2019 at the earliest and no new Halo games in the pipeline for 2018 or the launch of the X1X, this seems like a logical move. A large portion of the fanbase owns MCC and the potential goodwill this might generate, can fuel some extra sales. It wouldn't surprise me if they throw in updated graphics for H3 or a remastered Reach as DLC.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Great stuff. Never expected to wake up to this news! I thought the dream was over for sure but now, here's my wish list;

Fix up multiplayer performance, matchmaking issues, etc...

Patch it up for One X glory.

Get Reach in there.

Give all the games the Anniversary treatment.

Unrealistic, I'm sure, but I don't care. Today the dream is back on!

Out of nowhere. Kudos to MS. I prefer to see the glass half-full: better late than never.

I hope this means pc ports w/ cross play too eventually.

Naked Lunch

Amazing news. This is pretty unprecedented for a collection so old. But it seems Halo is just too important and the MCC package was just too cool to just leave it as a broken mess.

The older Halos got backwards compatibility support on XB1 but it was impossible going back after playing the 60fps versions on the MCC. Glad its finally getting fixed.

Lucifon

Crazy but awesome news. Once fixed they should just give it away in Games With Gold at this point. It's been so cheap everywhere that the only reason not to is due to bugs and issues. Also, throw in Reach.

Snoopycat

Banned

It's amazing to me that people are actually applauding and thanking them. No wonder publishers release half assed games when they know the audience will accept and excuse any amount of bullshit. As for 343 I bought the MCC Collection assuming it's problems would have ben fixed by now. Nope. The matchmaking is a mess. They've really fucked the franchise and I'll never buy any product they are associated with.

Plasma

Banned
I'll hold off congratulating them until it's actually fixed, they said similar things before after it launched in a broken state. This is a step in the right direction though and I genuinely do hope they're able to pull it off.

Cranster

Banned
It's amazing to me that people are actually applauding and thanking them. No wonder publishers release half assed games when they know the audience will accept and excuse any amount of bullshit. As for 343 I bought the MCC Collection assuming it's problems would have ben fixed by now. Nope. The matchmaking is a mess. They've really fucked the franchise and I'll never buy any product they are associated with.
How many other developers are putting this kind of support to a 3 year old game that is full of technical issues? Would you be happier if they left it as is? Eitherway it seems like you already made up your mind so why even post reply?

Cpt Lmao

So are they going to do Halo 3 anniversary and incorporate it into MCC?

That’s the only redemption path they have.

Snoopycat said:

Yep, I appreciate that they’re trying but for the love of god let’s not count out Microsoft to absolutely fuck this up and damage the franchise further. I mean it looks like they did just cancel Halo Wars 3.

How many other developers are putting this kind of support to a 3 year old game that is full of technical issues?

How many games are there like the MCC where it's a re-release of ultra-hit AAA titles and the game is released in a fully broken state and not fixed after 3 years?

Top Bottom