• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross and 343 on the Future of the MCC. Game Getting Update Early 2018

singhr1

Yay! I'm glad these classics are going to be preserved going forward. I wonder if there will be a re-launch or re-release push to get people playing/buying again. I hope so, especially with the work programmers are probably putting into re-establishing the game's framework.

If they are converting to "Xbox Software" and utilizing that platform's matchmaking, I don't think it is unreasonable to think they are thinking PC at some point too.

Does the fact that they're committing resources to MCC in 2018 mean the next proper Halo is 2019?

With how Bonnie was talking about the next game, is there any chance it is a 2018 game?

I'd bet Halo 6 beta this year at the very least.

I'm so happy about this! I loved playing through the campaigns but I would get really annoyed when I wouldn't get an achievement for completing a level on Legendary when I should have gotten one.

I'd love to help on the testing!

VeeP

Would be amazing if they included multiplayer with Halo 6 or something similar. I know it won’t happen, for many reasons, but basically including Halo MCC for fans who want to play classic modes and moving in the direction set by Halo 5 for fans who loved the MP in that game would be great way to please a lot of people.

Anyways, better late than never. Good luck 343.

So this is where Halo 3 will be updated with the Anniversary treatment. Thanks a lot 343i, I really appreciate.

Add REACH too, thanks again.

I'll continue to dream but nice to see a update is in the pipeline.

The MCC code is a mess I don't believe a pc port is possible, maybe if is made again from scratch.

They owe it to not only the fans, but to Bungie, Microsoft and the original Xbox team. Xbox wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for 90% of the master chief collection, no offence 343.

Master chief collection is Xboxs Legacy and deserves to be treated with respect. If they have to redo it from scratch then redo it from scratch and fucking do it right

Grisby

As you will read later this week there was some chicken/egg with regards to being able to address underlying issues without breaking other stuff.

I'm on a plane about to take off so not ignoring thread after this just airborne.
Nice. Thanks a bunch.
Huh.

I actually bought this 12" Locke figure for $3 from Walmart an hour ago.

51aFxHxQWgL._SY400_.jpg

Coincidence.
You did it. Because of you Halo is not dad.

MrDaravon

Bonnie Ross talked about needing to have a better dialogue with fans.

I could be crazy/wrong, but I feel like they've said this multiple times which indicates there's still maybe a problem? lol

Halo seems like it's in a weird place right now. Never thought we'd actually see another MCC update, it's goddamn wild the game still needs it but good on them for doing it.

I'm surprised, why now? The game came out 3 years ago and was an absolute disaster. Even after all the updates and fixes the game never really felt like it was totally fixed or was ever going to be. Felt like 343i just gave up after awhile. One of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. Halo deserved SO MUCH better, it should have been a celebration of Halo not the steaming pile of garbage we ended up getting.

I dunno, being such a huge fan of Halo I was just so burnt out by that whole fiasco. This gesture's appreciated but I honestly think it's too little too late.

They owe it to not only the fans, but to Bungie, Microsoft and the original Xbox team. Xbox wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for 90% of the master chief collection, no offence 343.

Master chief collection is Xboxs Legacy and deserves to be treated with respect. If they have to redo it from scratch then redo it from scratch and fucking do it right

Phil Spencer said it best, "If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox."

Boy was he so right about that with the Xbox One and the MCC.

I'm surprised, why now? The game came out 3 years ago and was an absolute disaster. Even after all the updates and fixes the game never really felt like it was totally fixed or was ever going to be. Felt like 343i just gave up after awhile. One of the biggest disappointments in recent memory. Halo deserved SO MUCH better, it should have been a celebration of Halo not the steaming pile of garbage we ended up getting.

I dunno, being such a huge fan of Halo I was just so burnt out by that whole fiasco. This gesture's appreciated but I honestly think it's too little too late.

It’s not too late if they give it a nice fresh coat of paint like new menu system and a new menu look. Look at the Xbox dashboards in the past, often times they made the system look completely new. The same idea applies here if they do it right

Wereroku

Awesome news. With time and investment this will probably be the best versions of Halo 1-4. Would be a good time to do a PC version of this if they wanted to get something Halo out to their PC fans.

Honestly from the way they are talking it seems like they are going to pull it apart and put it back together. Seems like someone finally approved the extra budget this is going to need probably as part of the XBX update. With a single studio and project lead from 343 I am sure they will be able to fix most if not all of the problems. It sucks that we had to wait until they got additional budget for the XBX push but at least it is getting fixed.

Halo 6 being a ways off makes me super interested in what the game will be like. If it’s not a 2018 release then it’s the longest between mainline games we’ve had.

Hawk269

Anyone have a link to the full interview? Cut off right when they were going to talk about Halo 5 and HW2.

iFirez

Halo 6 being a ways off makes me super interested in what the game will be like. If it’s not a 2018 release then it’s the longest between mainline games we’ve had.
Time travel. Chief wakes up in a cryopod aboard the Pillar of Autumn and Groundhog Day Halo Edition begins anew.

BHK3

Banned
Wonder what the business sense is in releasing an update for something that hasn't been touched since March of 2015...if it's not a PC port that is.

Wonder what the business sense is in releasing an update for something that hasn't been touched since March of 2015...if it's not a PC port that is.

If you enhance it enough and maybe add a few new bells and whistles, you give people a reason to buy it again. It’s never a bad business decision to fix something that’s popular and halo is popular

xboxster

A bit of a surprise, but it makes sense considering everything that's happened in the past few years. 343 starts making Halo 2 Anniversary, but MS wants a collection. Studios scramble to put something together in a real quick fashion. 343 makes a few updates, but unfortunately, Halo 5, Halo Spartan Strike, and (maybe?) Halo Wars 2 are all in the pipeline, with two of these having post-launch plans as well.

Now that the newest Halo Wars 2 DLC is out, and two years of Halo 5 support has come and gone, it makes sense that 343 announces to revisit this now. It might not have been an issue of not caring. It may have been an issue of not having time, and if it were done, to give it their full attention and do it right.

Just speculating. I'm sure I'm wrong on some/most/all of this. Just excited for this patch and tend to be an optimist.

Fox Mulder

They owe it to not only the fans, but to Bungie, Microsoft and the original Xbox team. Xbox wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for 90% of the master chief collection, no offence 343.

If MS or 343 had respect for the franchise and customers, the game would have been delayed. It was shipped out broken to push console sales during the holidays. My brother in law took the bait and bought a xb1 for it.

I don't care about an update at this point, halo has been killed for me. Even if MCC never existed, halo 5 still turned me off with shit like removal of local co-op for campaign. Halo just isn't for me anymore.

RPGam3r

This is great news. I sold my Xbox a while back once Scorpio was announced, and after letting it go I wasn't sure I would be back.

But after seeing what the Scorpio would be on top of Halo calling my name I couldn't help but get pulled back in. Halo is the peak FPS still for me, the gameplay loop, music, lore are just too good.

If MS or 343 had respect for the franchise and customers, the game would have been delayed. It was shipped out broken to push console sales during the holidays. My brother in law took the bait and bought a xb1 for it.

I don't care about an update at this point, halo has been killed for me. Even if MCC never existed, halo 5 still turned me off with shit like removal of local co-op for campaign. Halo just isn't for me anymore.

And yet here you are interested

MrBS

Well there is your Halo(s) game for 2018.

lol

Anyway I've only managed to play the first one from the collection, this might motivate me to move on to the second.

Top Bottom