• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonnie Ross (Head of 343i): "Every Halo FPS will have Split-Screen going forward"

Halo 5 would have had split-screen with infinite time. Games have to be built to schedule with finite resources. The story, for example in H5 would have been improved in split screen by communicating in the room with team mates who had different abilities and responsibilities in a level - but the split-screen was cut and that aspect of the story obviously gets lost in online one screen sessions.

Just a basic example.
I wish MS would give enough time and resources to their flag franchise.

Dont get why they have to announce something like this... Its standard since 2001 for this franchise. But i guess everything not done by 343 needs be re-announced.

singhr1

On the downside, Bonnie Ross also said this:

Source: https://youtu.be/h_7M93WRFng, it was about 20 minutes ago from this post.

Makes me worry about Halo 6 a little, maybe I'm reading into this too much.

Halo is often seen as a convoluted mess by people who aren't actively invested in the lore and EU. Halo 5 attempted to pick through parts of the EU and introduce them into the game with little actual introduction (i.e. Blue Team, Locke, Tanaka, and Vale).

With Halo 6, if they plan to make a complete story this time instead of trying to fill in gaps with extended fiction, it could be a much better and understandable story.

It's a FPS (with stress on shooter), not an RPG. Characters and stories can't breathe like they can in longer and extended dialogue and world building sequences. Story needs to be kept simple enough to let the player understand what they are doing and why they are doing it instead of worrying about who/what is that and have it never explained because the game expects them to come in with outside knowledge.

Nintendo Switch doing its job. Putting pressure on gaming culture to take local co-op seriously. We went too far into online, alienating a large chunk of gamers who love co-op experiences.

Outrun

... But but Halo is dad....!

Well done 343i.

Of course, the haters are gonna find something else to shit on...

Madness

Nintendo Switch doing its job. Putting pressure on gaming culture to take local co-op seriously. We went too far into online, alienating a large chunk of gamers who love co-op experiences.

What? Switch isn't even out and wasn't even discussed when the rabble rousing for no split screen in H5 happened. It was because it was the first Halo MP game without split screen and so there was a giant outcry. It probably has more to do with Scorpio devkits in 343 hands allowing them to build games and possibly tweak engines to allow for 30fps campaign split screen and MP now and then paring the Xbox One versions to get it to work. They didn't cut it out for the sake of cutting it out and has nothing to do with Switch affecting game culture.

Great News. Now everyone who said they will never buy Halo ever again because of split screens removal can now replace it with not buying Halo until sprint is out of the game.

DxV7ZBH.jpg

Those same people will find "niche feature z" removed and that'll be all we hear or read in threads.

Yooo, how did the Switch get involv-

Ahh, it's randomengine.

It can't be the loudly publicized outcry from removing split-screen from Halo 5, long before Switch rumors even hit, that was responsible, just dat unending Nintendo pressure.

EL OH EL

Outrun

Halo is often seen as a convoluted mess by people who aren't actively invested in the lore and EU. Halo 5 attempted to pick through parts of the EU and introduce them into the game with little actual introduction (i.e. Blue Team, Locke, Tanaka, and Vale).

With Halo 6, if they plan to make a complete story this time instead of trying to fill in gaps with extended fiction, it could be a much better and understandable story.

After H4 and the MP gripes, 343i sort out MP in H5

After H5 and split screen MP gripes, 343i will sort out split screen in H6

The track record is on 343i's side to sort out the SP story.

hwalker84

Man 343i has to be sitting there wondering why they're putting effort into split screen in 2017+. You know they have data being pulled in the background probably (I'm just making statistics up) showing less than 5% of players using this feature.

Probably figured they would cut something that was barely used.

Hopefully this doesn't come with sacrifices in other areas.

They introduced the EU stuff but assumed you did info on them. I didn't care for Master Chief's comrades that he supposedly is related to him through SPARTAN program.

Halo is still gonna focus on online.

why ? what is she saying ?

Here.

"Not every story is for every person. But in telling those stories, there does have to be some, you know, look-back, paying homage to the lore, and reasons for moving things forward."

"And while we love our transmedia, sometimes I do think we do tell a little bit too much story in our games, you know when you have a gun and then you have aliens shooting at you, it is kind of hard to digest a lot of story."

"And so I think - good learnings - hopefully we're showing in Halo Wars 2 a little more simple story, and really using trasnsmedia as part of the way to get the deeper story but keeping the game story more simple."

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wish MS would give enough time and resources to their flag franchise.

They do and did. We have been very clear that the situation was not optimum, to put it mildly. But it was not caused by some corporate specter.

How utterly bonkers.

We didn't know what Switch even was until a few months ago, and there are literally thousands of split screen games now and in the past, that all exist blissfully in ignorance of the Switch.

Cranster

Banned
Man 343i has to be sitting there wondering why they're putting effort into split screen in 2017+. You know they have data being pulled in the background probably (I'm just making statistics up) showing less than 5% of players using this feature.

I imagine with the new engine it just takes some optimization. Halo 5 is an excellent foundation for Halo 6. Aslong as they don't sacrifice features/options and hopefully they use the Halo Wars 2 art style from here on out aswell.

I'd assume it's 60fps Single-Player and 30fps Split-Screen on base Xbox One/S (with maybe some effects and geometry missing) and probably 60fps across the board on Scorpio.

ozprime

Does this include campaign, or is it only on MP modes (yes, I know campaign co-op is technically MP, but you know what I mean)? I just finished played Halo 1-4 with a friend, loved it, but were pissed that 5 didn't have any.

LordKasual

Banned
NEVER LET SPLITSCREEN SCREENWATCH META DIE. It was too lit.

Paying attention to your surroundings is one thing. Paying attention to everyone's surroundings is something else entirely.

Can we also do away with the CoD style perks and loadouts? It was heartbreaking to play one of those newer Halo games and have the owner of the console have access to weapons nobody else did.

That shit needs to die.

Patrick S.

Banned
Halo: Reach had a sprint powerup. I didn't really feel it made much of a difference if you were sprinting or not, I don't understand how being able to sprint makes Halo Not-Halo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dont get why they have to announce something like this... Its standard since 2001 for this franchise. But i guess everything not done by 343 needs be re-announced.

Perhaps you did not fully comprehend the OP my stout and well-intentioned friend. It's not an announcement, she's talking to her peers at DICE about that experience.

Top Bottom