• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA JAM

Toy Soldier

Member
Oct 29, 2007
4,032
0
0
HERE is where the heart is.
SportsNation does rock. Cowherd is one of my favorites - he's a kook sometimes but for my money is the most entertaining guy on that network, radio or TV. And who doesn't love Michelle Beadle.

RBH said:
Vote for the rosters of the Knicks, Nets, and Hornets:

http://nba-jam.easports.com/home.action

Gallo is gonna make it, no doubt - that's all I really care about.

Lee, Gallo, and I dunno...I guess NBA Jam is made with a guy like Nate in mind, even though he won't be around next season.
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,803
327
1,345
Canada
donkey show said:
whitehawk
Banned
(Today, 05:40 PM)
Reply | Quote

Finally I can reply: :lol
 

Bugbite

Banned
Feb 26, 2009
90
0
0
I think this game has a better shot at finding success on Wii than any of the other efforts announced for the system, including Monster Hunter and Epic Mickey. If they nail the pick up and play arcade gameplay, as well as have multiplayer for up to four, I think this will break a million easy.

Honestly, if they treat it like Nintendo treated Mario Wii, I can see this being the first 2+ million seller 3rd party game on Wii since, what? Guitar Hero?
 

Haunted

Member
Nov 16, 2006
78,220
18
965
I'm not sure I care enough to vote for the roster without seeing some damn gameplay vids first. :mad:


edit: wtf at the million predictions I've seen here and in the DI superbowl thread. You're vastly, vastly overestimating the sales potential of this game.
 

bumpkin

Member
Sep 3, 2005
12,219
28
1,520
41
New Hampshire, USA
The only thing I know is I got my hands on a copy of the Nintendo Power with the article, and there were a ton more screenshots; enough to make me start pining for this game bad. I really hope we get to see some gameplay footage soon. Geoff Keighley mentioned the game in one of his latest tweets, but there wasn't a timeline for the promise...

Oh yeah, another treat in tonight's (1/28) GTTV - new screenshots of NBA Jam! We'll have the first footage for you guys soon.
 

Bugbite

Banned
Feb 26, 2009
90
0
0
Haunted said:
I'm not sure I care enough to vote for the roster without seeing some damn gameplay vids first. :mad:


edit: wtf at the million predictions I've seen here and in the DI superbowl thread. You're vastly, vastly overestimating the sales potential of this game.

I disagree. People always talk about third party games on Wii and how it's impossible for them to succeed, but when you look at what succeeds and ask "why did this succeed" instead of "how can we copy this", you start to see a few trends. I'm talking about titles like Mario Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, Guitar Hero.

These titles are easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master. They all have local multiplayer. They all sport art styles that are non-threatening.

My main concern about NBA Jam is the "difficult to master" part. My guess is they'll put the rubberband A.I. in the game instead of steadily ramping up the difficulty based on how well the player does, as in Wii Sports.
 
Dec 3, 2006
37,576
0
1,260
Saw the screenshots yesterday. WANT.

Please EA, add Create A Character. I couldn't care less about the rosters, character creation was where it was at.
 

DrDogg

Member
Jun 7, 2004
2,620
0
0
This was really exciting until I saw it was Wii-exclusive. I own a Wii, but I don't want a new NBA on the Wii. I'd actually rather have the original NBA Jam on XBLA than a new version on the Wii.

If it at least has online play I may wait for GAF feedback and still pick it up if it's good. But there's no way I'm buying it day one on the Wii.

Any word on pricing? Is this going to be a $50 game?
 

MYE

Member
Jul 20, 2009
16,499
4
0
DrDogg said:
This was really exciting until I saw it was Wii-exclusive. I own a Wii, but I don't want a new NBA on the Wii. I'd actually rather have the original NBA Jam on XBLA than a new version on the Wii.

If it at least has online play I may wait for GAF feedback and still pick it up if it's good. But there's no way I'm buying it day one on the Wii.

Any word on pricing? Is this going to be a $50 game?

:lol
 

robjoh

Member
Sep 25, 2009
325
0
0
DrDogg said:
This was really exciting until I saw it was Wii-exclusive. I own a Wii, but I don't want a new NBA on the Wii. I'd actually rather have the original NBA Jam on XBLA than a new version on the Wii.
?

I don't get this, if you have the system what is the problem. I can mayby understand statemant like: "Damn I don't own the system and I don't want to buy another one for one game".

But you own the system, so what is the problem?
 

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jun 6, 2004
23,913
1
0
44
Savannah, GA
DrDogg said:
This was really exciting until I saw it was Wii-exclusive. I own a Wii, but I don't want a new NBA on the Wii. I'd actually rather have the original NBA Jam on XBLA than a new version on the Wii.

If it at least has online play I may wait for GAF feedback and still pick it up if it's good. But there's no way I'm buying it day one on the Wii.

Any word on pricing? Is this going to be a $50 game?


Haven't you guys picked up on the fact that this is a easy way to get banned yet?


I mean, damn! :lol
 

Bugbite

Banned
Feb 26, 2009
90
0
0
GDGF said:
Haven't you guys picked up on the fact that this is a easy way to get banned yet?


I mean, damn! :lol

Shhh! The less that know, the more laughs to be had!:lol

You know what would be an awesome unlockable? Short shorts like they had in the original NBA Jam.
 

Penguin

Member
Jun 15, 2004
32,800
0
1,530
www.nerdsontherocks.com
bumpkin said:
The only thing I know is I got my hands on a copy of the Nintendo Power with the article, and there were a ton more screenshots; enough to make me start pining for this game bad. I really hope we get to see some gameplay footage soon. Geoff Keighley mentioned the game in one of his latest tweets, but there wasn't a timeline for the promise...

I haven't seen the Nintendo Power screens, but GT had screens during the show which I assumed were just screens from the NP article.
 

Amir0x

Banned
Oct 27, 2004
103,709
4
0
36
Nowhere, PA
DrDogg said:
This was really exciting until I saw it was Wii-exclusive. I own a Wii, but I don't want a new NBA on the Wii. I'd actually rather have the original NBA Jam on XBLA than a new version on the Wii.

If it at least has online play I may wait for GAF feedback and still pick it up if it's good. But there's no way I'm buying it day one on the Wii.

Any word on pricing? Is this going to be a $50 game?

FROM DOWNTOWN!

*BOOOOOOOSH*



HE'S ON FIRE!
 

boiled goose

good with gravy
Oct 30, 2007
12,845
1
1,050
Bugbite said:
I disagree. People always talk about third party games on Wii and how it's impossible for them to succeed, but when you look at what succeeds and ask "why did this succeed" instead of "how can we copy this", you start to see a few trends. I'm talking about titles like Mario Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, Guitar Hero.

These titles are easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master. They all have local multiplayer. They all sport art styles that are non-threatening.

My main concern about NBA Jam is the "difficult to master" part. My guess is they'll put the rubberband A.I. in the game instead of steadily ramping up the difficulty based on how well the player does, as in Wii Sports.

Not agreeing or disagreeing.

Just mentioning that approachable art style does not mean condescendingly childish.
Wii sports= approachable
Family fun football = childish
 

kottila

Member
Jan 22, 2007
4,857
0
895
Damn! I've been wishing for NBA JAM on VC forever, but this is soo much better. Hope there is an option to have the simple rules from JAM if they plan on having all the extra stuff from TE.
 

TreIII

Member
May 15, 2006
17,477
0
0
37
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. :D :D :D :D

It'd be nice if there was a way to use the DSi to take pictures and upload them to the Wii wirelessly, thus allowing you to put "yourself", or whomever else you could imagine into the game.

Of course, there would be people that would abuse such a feature... :lol
 
Jul 15, 2009
11,796
2
755
New York City
I can't wait to see it in motion. The big heads do look a little weird compared to the normal heads, but I'm sure that, in motion, it'll make more sense.

Kind of like Epic Mickey's ears always facing the screen. It sounded/looked a little weird in screenshots, but in motion, it was nice.
 

sportzhead

Member
Feb 23, 2005
3,148
0
1,480
tralfazz said:
If we're throwing out hidden character wishes, how about Green Man, the TNT crew, and David Stern?

Plus Stuff, the Magic mascot better be in the game.

Listen to this man EA.
 

toxk_02

Black Republican
Jul 4, 2007
282
0
0
XiaNaphryz said:
Hey wait a minute, you yourself quoted from this thread into the thread that I quoted the pics from into this one. So it's all even in the end. :lol
:D

Just sharing the love!
 

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Dec 22, 2008
10,148
0
830
Wow, that looks really impressive!
Definitely looking forward to seeing even more from this game.