• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA JAM

GDGF

Soothsayer
Sadist said:
Regarding a screen that was removed... was it this one?

2zp4n7t.jpg

Yeah, that would be fucking brilliant.

(probably just a concept shot though)

bjscott05

:lol I would love it to look like that.

Gonna dig out NBA Jam for PS2 since Street Vol 2 isn't back compatible on 360 (WTF?)

It's probably concept art, but it really captures the feel of the original.
Using digitized photos of heads in-game is a lovely idea which I think would fit the game very well.

Sadist

I think we already discovered the style of the game.

If you look at the cover of Nintendo Power, there is some dude saying "He'on fire".

Only know a few NBA players, exsqueeze my NBA ignorance

Zep

Banned
Someone told me about this style a few months ago..Nice to actually see it. Looks pretty badass and fits the style of the game.

This should be pretty damn awesome..

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know, I never really missed NBA Jam. The NBA Street series did a fine job of giving me my arcade basketball fix for many many years.

All that being said, very excited to see how this turns out. And that logo is hot hot hot!

Amir0x

Banned
Nintendo Power's cover is really nice, but the tagline that this game is returning to "make sports games fun again" is fucking dumb. Sports games were always fun, it doesn't matter if the pasty nerds who write for the magazine think that is so. Get better writers and less retards for your magazine.

DMczaf

Amir0x said:
Nintendo Power's cover is really nice, but the tagline that this game is returning to "make sports games fun again" is fucking dumb. Sports games were always fun, it doesn't matter if the pasty nerds who write for the magazine think that is so. Get better writers and less retards for your magazine.

I guess I haven't been having fun playing in the GAF Madden Online Franchise. Wrap it up guys, Nintendo Power says were not having fun!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sadist said:
Regarding the screen that was removed... was it this one?

2zp4n7t.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

GOTF if true. This looks PERFECT for the NBA JAM series.

Perhaps the "showing emotion" line from the press release refers to them having several facial expression pictures of each player. That would be absolutely hilarious to play.

GDGF

Soothsayer
God I hope it looks like this. In my mind it animates like some obscure short from Mtv's Liquid Television.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Amir0x said:
Nintendo Power's cover is really nice, but the tagline that this game is returning to "make sports games fun again" is fucking dumb. Sports games were always fun, it doesn't matter if the pasty nerds who write for the magazine think that is so.
speak for yourself, JOCK

Amir0x

Banned
jooey said:
speak for yourself, JOCK

I ain't no jock, I'm fat. I am, however, not a mental hermit and I know that

a.) sports games have been fun forever
b.) that sports games are raged against primarily by people who were too pale and frail to participate in real school sports activities
c.) the main line of attack for the big sports franchises - "it's the same game every year" - is a reductive, thoughtless criticism that is used primarily by people who don't "get" sports, or suck at them, or were picked on in school by people who played sports

But that's just a side discussion.

Just thought I'd say the Nintendo Power tagline is fucking retarded, and they need better writers. But it IS Nintendo Power, an abysmal magazine, so it's not surprising.

Back to EXCITEMENT FOR NBA JAM HOLYSHIT

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
beelzebozo said:
i hope this means they'll BLITZ.

NFL STREET was fun, but it was depressing watching that go south fast.
That would be nice, but the NFL stands for No Fun League for a reason.

A Mutant League Football revival, done Blitz-style, would be the game of the forever, or co-game of the forever with Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SU2: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amir0x said:
Just thought I'd say the Nintendo Power tagline is fucking retarded, and they need better writers. But it IS Nintendo Power, an abysmal magazine, so it's not surprising.

It is a horrible tagline, but NP has been decent for the past year or so. Light years better than anything EGM had put out in it's last 2-3 years.

V_Ben

Banned
it actually looks like EA have got the right idea with regards to a remake, looks to be retaining the spirit of the original. I'll bite :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I played plenty of sports back in the day and I find most if not all sports games these days over complicated. They are directed at hardcore fans, something I am not. Which doesn't make me pale and frail, or one of those guys who got picked on in high school by people who played sports.

That's really weird for someone as large and immobile as you to say, Amir0x.

Amir0x

Banned
Plinko said:
It is a horrible tagline, but NP has been decent for the past year or so. Light years better than anything EGM had put out in it's last 2-3 years.

So I'm told.

Every time I pick one up though? Still horrible.

sprsk said:

Like I said, I'm fat - but I actually played sports in high school. Baseball to be exact! Was pretty decent actually.

Still, I don't run from my flaws. I like America.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Oh, subtle Japan jab, good job.

I dunno. I followed my wife here. If you think that's running away from something that's cool. Makes no sense though!

Anyway. Sports games are over complicated and the arcade sports genre was basically dead till this game got announced. Hence "sports games are teh fun againe!" comment.

Amir0x

Banned
Shiiit you called me fat I'm still reeling from that one I thought this was sparring time SORRY :*(

Seriously though, I don't even think arcade sports games were that dead. I mean, they're not as successful as they used to be but there have been a bunch of arcade sports games even this generation that have been pretty decent.

Obviously, there is a certain level of nostalgia associated with NBA JAM, but not enough to claim sports games are not "fun." They're intensely fun, which is why I imagine they're some of the most consistently successful franchises in the industry.

Grecco

Arcade Sports games have been dead period. Tecmo tried to make an NBA jam on XBLA and failed horribly. EA tried to make an NFL BLitz and failed horribly. Midways Street Baskettball was a convoluted mess. EAs versions of street were just generic and boring. The last decent arcadey type sports game was Blitz the league and that had no official licence (But you could order the opposing team hookers)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i quite liked the first NFL STREET, particularly the challenge mode. i spent a good hour with a buddy trying to lateral the ball six times and score a touchdown :lol

Grecco

jibblypop said:
I really love that NHL Arcade 3-on-3 game.

I bought it when it was 400 pts one week. Decent but i dont like the special bonus things so much. Its probably the best arcade sports game released this gen tho

obaidr

Banned
“Diehard fans of the original game have been asking for a remake for more than a decade. We’re very excited to give them their wish this year with the return of this iconic franchise.”

Wow I didnt know the audience who played NBA Jam two decades ago is now on the Wii. You learn new stuff everyday.

Milabrega

Cohsae said:
I own a Wii. Deal with it.

Check his post history, he's not dealing with people owning Wii's very well at all.

EmCeeGramr said:
if you put in the right button combination, nba-gaf mode is unlocked

2cne23a.jpg

Gaf's best avatar fad is turning into one of the best Meme's around. :lol

KanZolo

Sadist said:
I think we already discovered the style of the game.

If you look at the cover of Nintendo Power, there is some dude saying "He'on fire".

Only know a few NBA players, exsqueeze my NBA ignorance

Yeah, that "dude" is Shaquille O'neal.

It's not like he has had his own TV show; been in movies like Kazaam, Blue Chips and Scary Movie 4; been in Burger King, Vitamin Water Reebok, Icy Hot, Comcast, Taco Bell, Pepsi, Verizon commercials or been on the cover for NBA 2K twice.

Brofist

sprsk said:
I played plenty of sports back in the day and I find most if not all sports games these days over complicated. They are directed at hardcore fans, something I am not. Which doesn't make me pale and frail, or one of those guys who got picked on in high school by people who played sports.

I disagree. Unless you are playing only sports sims which are aimed at the hardcore fans. With the Wii there are more pick up and play sports games aimed at casual play than ever before.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Plinko said:
Perhaps the "showing emotion" line from the press release refers to them having several facial expression pictures of each player. That would be absolutely hilarious to play.

It has to. It just makes too much sense. This is going to be amazingly :lol to play (in a good way!)

Sipowicz

Banned
Milabrega said:
Check his post history, he's not dealing with people owning Wii's very well at all.

whoa you're not wrong . his entire post history is trolling the wii. check out this gem from the 2010 predictions thread

obaidr said:
  • PS3 Wand will not reach Mass Market but will show what motion controller should/could actually do
  • the war will not be over
  • people will stop buying Wiis and the gaming in general can start to move on with the new cash flow towards real games and better games will be made*

*A man can still hope ;)

sonydefenceforce.com eat your heart out

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Milabrega said:

I'm shocked he has lasted this long.

Top Bottom