• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA JAM

jibblypop

Banned
This sounds incredible. I think adding online is very important for a game like this though so it's troubling to not hear it mentioned.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
CreatureX3 said:
2zp4n7t.jpg

I hope that's an actual screenshot as that looks awesome!

:D

it's real. or, at least, it looks pretty much like the screens that i looked at in the new NP this evening at the bookstore. it fits the style and conceit of the game perfectly: goofy-ass basketball. i'm sure it's been covered, but each player has something like 8 expressions (happy, sad, frustrated, doing something bad ass, etc.) that are just pictures of the actual person making that facial expression. it sounds retarded--hell, it is retarded--but it looks very much like NBA JAM in the shots i've seen.

bumpkin

Instro said:
So I read through the article in NP, heres what I got:

- 2 Modes, 1 is called Classic Campaign, plays pretty much identical to previous NBA Jams, 3v3, no rules other than shot clock and goaltending. The other is called Remix Tour, which is different, changing the core mechanics, rule tweaks, and camera tweaks etc. The devs didnt want to go into detail on the Remix Tour mode yet.

- Theres tons of new dunks, a new spin move that can evade the shove move.

- The faces are actual photograph captures, each character has multiple faces, 3 faces while running the court, 2 dunk faces, and a positive and negative face. (Looks hilarious.
Basically its 3d bodies with 2d heads)

- Option of motion controls or holding the wiimote sideways. Didnt see any mention of the Classic Controller

- NP provided a checklist of what is in the game:

Fire
Shattering Backboard
Cheats
Flashing Shoes
Flashing ball
Big Head Mode
Legends
Playable Mascots
Secret Characters

Thats about it, looks quite solid, I didnt see any release date though
Everything sounds cool except that. Classic NBA Jam is 2-on-2...

i actually think the photo/head thing could make for a cool visual style. Hopefully the controls aren't borked by forcing some kind of waggle into them.

The photo/head thing just propelled this game from a "kind of interested" to a "major release" for me. I hope it has a remake of the original theme tune.

bumpkin

APZonerunner said:
The photo/head thing just propelled this game from a "kind of interested" to a "major release" for me. I hope it has a remake of the original theme tune.
Same here. I really hope they are able to get the same announcer as the original games. That would be a-fucking-mazing!

...oh, and I stumbled across the screenshot floating around. Holy shit, that looks more beautiful than I could possibly have imagined. Bring us the goodies, Turmell! :D

TreIII

YES YES YES.

NBA JAM TE owned me and my friends' young lives so many years ago. I look forward to it doing all over again with this game.

Please have character creator mode...and Barrack Obama as a secret character! :lol

Cohsae

This game should come with a feature allowing you to create a character by uploading photos of your face in different expressions.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
You may want to take down that Pierce pic, scanned directly from NP.

Speaking of which, I had to go buy a copy. The pictures are great, and the initial leaked picture is completely indicative of the game's style. The players' faces transform between expressions with a 'blur' to make it look more natural than an instant swap. When they perform an incredible play, they run back up with court with a goofy grin; likewise, a crybaby expression appears when they fail. The first picture in the article with Gasol, Kobe, and Shaq running up the court with LeBron dunking over top of them is hilarious. The first thing I thought of was Hangtime. It may be in 3D, but it really has the look of long, thin players and cardboard cut-outs of team benches, fans, and press row.

It really sounds like these guys believe in the original Jam product, and instantly turned down any cartoon style or added gimmicks (besides motion control, optional) not previously found in the series. Players can be substituted at halftime like before. Hidden characters and unlockable mascots are in. Flashing ball and flashing shoes are in. They added old school legends (one picture shows Larry Bird with a picture-perfect follow through from downtown). They mentioned nothing about hook shots, double dunks, lean-ins, or create-a-player. I hope they also add stat tracking for initials - win/loss ratio, PPG, OPPG, world records, etc. I'm hyped!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Please EA for the love of god leave the option for NO CPU ASSIST! Man I'm so pumped despite my love for nba street 2 there is nothing like NBA Jam and the swearing that ensues between me and my friends.

mr stroke

just read through the new NP

screens look amazing. Really everything you could ask for in a new NBA jam

now please please let there be some online mode they haven't announced

EDarkness

Mutagenic said:
You may want to take down that Pierce pic, scanned directly from NP.

Speaking of which, I had to go buy a copy. The pictures are great, and the initial leaked picture is completely indicative of the game's style. The players' faces transform between expressions with a 'blur' to make it look more natural than an instant swap. When they perform an incredible play, they run back up with court with a goofy grin; likewise, a crybaby expression appears when they fail. The first picture in the article with Gasol, Kobe, and Shaq running up the court with LeBron dunking over top of them is hilarious. The first thing I thought of was Hangtime. It may be in 3D, but it really has the look of long, thin players and cardboard cut-outs of team benches, fans, and press row.

It really sounds like these guys believe in the original Jam product, and instantly turned down any cartoon style or added gimmicks (besides motion control, optional) not previously found in the series. Players can be substituted at halftime like before. Hidden characters and unlockable mascots are in. Flashing ball and flashing shoes are in. They added old school legends (one picture shows Larry Bird with a picture-perfect follow through from downtown). They mentioned nothing about hook shots, double dunks, lean-ins, or create-a-player. I hope they also add stat tracking for initials - win/loss ratio, PPG, OPPG, world records, etc. I'm hyped!

Okay, after reading this post...I'm in. Where do I sign up? ;)

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, I can't wait to see this game in action! So excited!

EDarkness said:
Okay, after reading this post...I'm in. Where do I sign up? ;)

Holy shit, I agree. This sounds amazing, which is welcome news considering what a dud the '09-10 NBA video game season has been.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I played a bunch of NBA Jam TE today and it was just fucking incredible. That game has actually aged pretty well; it's still a ton of fun.

EA will no doubt royally fuck up the new game by making it overcomplicated.

Dacvak said:
I played a bunch of NBA Jam TE today and it was just fucking incredible. That game has actually aged pretty well; it's still a ton of fun.

EA will no doubt royally fuck up the new game by making it overcomplicated.
You too should read the info that was posted.

Nabs

lol. lucky (celtics mascot) has to be playable. i saw him dancing on the sidelines in one of the pics.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
All the info is promising. Don't really care for the photo heads (i miss sprites) though, but sounds like NBA Jam.

Just needs one last thing and it's a buy for me.

jman2050

I managed to take a look at the screens in the article itself and it's absolutely amazing just how good the photographed heads go with the game itself. The whole visual style of the game is absolutely perfect, seriously.

Top Bottom