• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA JAM

I used to love NBA Jam back in the day, but I do think that it would feel repetitive and mundane playing it now.

Hope EA does some cooler and newer innovative things in this game instead of just being another traditional NBA Jam game. They have to do something more to it to keep it fun instead of just a dunking ping-pong match.

Vizion28 said:
New footage of NBA Jam for Wii.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/04/22/new-nba-jam-wii-gameplay-footage-2-minutes-of-pure-joy/

It looks gorgeous. It looks like it is running in 60 FPS. I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Thanks for that. It is pretty good lookin'.

One complaint (well... more like something I need to get used to) is that, when the players dunk, they do it so fast. There's little hang time there. In the original, they'd jump, kinda float, and the dunks felt special because of that.

Of course, I haven't played the Wii game, but it's just my impression from the video.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
There's no way to tell if it's 60fps or 30fps on a 30fps video. But I'd bet it's the latter. Still, it's looking good. The one thing I noticed was the team benches make the same cheesy celebration animations after every score.

bumpkin

Vizion28 said:
New footage of NBA Jam for Wii.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/...s-of-pure-joy/

It looks gorgeous. It looks like it is running in 60 FPS. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

EA, if you are reading this, pleeeeeeeeease make sure the game has a robust online.
So far, so good. My only complaint is the court seems short, length-wise... Anyone else picking up on that? I mean I guess it isn't really a big deal, it just makes movement up and down the court shorter; an in-bounds pass puts it almost at the half court line.

Penguin said:
I wish we didn't have to wait until Dec for this.
Have they said it was coming out in December? Last I heard, they were still saying "fall."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
crazy monkey said:
there is contest on face book where we can add catch phrase. If selected will be featured in the game:D

please submit only hermes conrad exclamations of wonder and awe

"great cow of moscow!"
"great panda of uganda!"
"sweet gorilla of manilla!"

. . . and so on

electric playground just showed some new footage of nba jam. Looks pretty good! Weird that it's not mentioned in their website. Episode also included Skate 3 multiplayer talk, some green show in Toronto and Alan wake (incase you wanna search for it online). According to the website, "This Episode will be available online in Canada in 3 Days". Video also showed game menu (only option I could quickly read was Campaign Mode).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
crazy monkey said:
there is contest on face book where we can add catch phrase. If selected will be featured in the game:D
What's more important, though, is that Tim Kitzrow will be back doing his best Marv Albert impersonation. Awesome. :D

cacildo

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I used to love NBA Jam back in the day, but I do think that it would feel repetitive and mundane playing it now.

Hope EA does some cooler and newer innovative things in this game instead of just being another traditional NBA Jam game. They have to do something more to it to keep it fun instead of just a dunking ping-pong match.

Well, that´s a serious concern.

Really, it is possible that the old gameplay bacame too... old.

And checking this footage... well, its the same NBA Jam from the Snes, 15 years ago.

If that´s it, they could have just released the original game on Virtual Console and call it a day.

I always had to me that Looney Toones B-ball at least had that crazy power ups and special attacks making it more fun than NbaJam

pakkit

Banned
Purchasing this game relies on whether it has online, enough content, and smart pricing.

If they forgo online, which they've said they're still "considering" I'm not even going to bother with this game.

thefro

http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1090959p1.html

- 60 FPS
- Big Head mode in
- Can "roll away" from defender to counter shove (sounds like the spin move from Hangtime)
- Over 100 unlockables (characters, teams, privileges and other bonuses)
- Jam Challenge achievement-style system (i.e., score 100 points and it unlocks something)
- Classic Campaign 10-20 hours; Remix Campaign took a tester 35 hours to get through
- Remix Campaign will have different modes, half-court games, etc... some might favor dunkers others shooters and others all around-players
- Magic Johnson and Larry Bird in as bosses, among many others
- Says boss battles will be a Punch-Out-like experience where you have to discover the other team's achilles' heel
- Teases that your favorite players from the original game are probably in.
- Still working on getting online mode right, won't put it in if they can't get it working the way they want it to

mr stroke

thefro said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1090959p1.html

- 60 FPS
- Big Head mode in
- Can "roll away" from defender to counter shove (sounds like the spin move from Hangtime)
- Over 100 unlockables (characters, teams, privileges and other bonuses)
- Jam Challenge achievement-style system (i.e., score 100 points and it unlocks something)
- Classic Campaign 10-20 hours; Remix Campaign took a tester 35 hours to get through
- Remix Campaign will have different modes, half-court games, etc... some might favor dunkers others shooters and others all around-players
- Says boss battles will be a Punch-Out-like experience where you have to discover the other team's achilles' heel
- Teases that your favorite players from the original game are probably in.
-Still working on getting online mode right, won't put it in if they can't get it working the way they want it to

this is crazy. With out online the game is point less.
Must be an inevitable XBLA/PSN version in the wings

mr stroke said:
this is crazy. With out online the game is point less.
Must be an inevitable XBLA/PSN version in the wings

If Capcom can do it so can EA.... If anything, this just shows how much care is being taken to ensure everything is top quality.

Keep Magic's meds away from him?

DMczaf

if you're playing with your favourite original team in the original Jam, chances are you're going to be able to play with them in this. So if you had a favourite match-up back in the day? Chances are you're going to be able to play with those guys."

Does that mean they signed some players from 1993?

Shaq and Skiles!

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
holy shit I missed all of this topic! Just found out about this game coming today while browsing another forum. I'm so in for this I can't stand it.

These new phrases are going to be awesome. There's a facebook page where they voted on them and you can listen to them. This is going to be epic.

http://www.facebook.com/NBAJAM?v=app_4949752878

I believe the winners are:

BANGALANGA-DO-DAH!
Spread THAT on your sandwich!
The Dutch called and they want their windmill's back!
and
From a decade away!

Spread THAT on your sandwich! - almost made me lose it :lol

Penguin

Remix Mode

- sub-mode called 'Backboard Smash'
- two teams compete head-to-head
- health meter in place of scoreboard
- deplete the other team's health meter to win
- backboards deteriorate during the course of play
- big dunks count more than than three-point shots
- goaltending heals the other team's board.

Boss Battles

- behind the back camera
- basket at the top of the screen
- 1-on-1
- increased importance on shoving
- bosses can do special moves, such as teleport
- each boss has a special intro

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180237

Sounds like there will be a lot of new ideas in the game.

Vizion28

Banned
I just know I will not buy this game unless there is a robust online mode. Third parties have been shortchanging Wii owners long enough. I'm not going to accept it anymore.

ILikeFeet

Banned
they didn't add online for Nitro for some reason, which of course is bullshit, so I would expect the same here unfortunitly

ILikeFeet said:
they didn't add online for Nitro for some reason, which of course is bullshit, so I would expect the same here unfortunitly
This is an EA Sports game though. How many EA Sports Wii games don't have online?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Penguin said:
Remix Mode

Boss Battles

- behind the back camera
- 1-on-1

That sounds absolutely terrible. Quit wasting your time on that crap and work on the online (a MUCH more important feature).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If "From downtown.... UGLY SHOT!!" isn't in the game, I will be BITTERLY disappointed.

Someone make sure that happens.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Mutagenic said:
Penguin said:
Remix Mode

Boss Battles

- behind the back camera
- 1-on-1

That sounds absolutely terrible. Quit wasting your time on that crap and work on the online (a MUCH more important feature).
Online is important but don't hate on the boss battles. It's like they included a remake of Dr. J vs Larry Bird: One-On-One(1983) as a bonus level or something.

24owt48.jpg

2e0mfzp.jpg

Awesome.

Top Bottom