• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Booting into Safe Mode from Windows Recovery Environment takes me to a blank screen

Trying to boot safe mode from wRE as I can't get past the splash screen in Windows 10 to get to the login screen

Anyone experienced this before or have any ideas of another way to boot into safe mode?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Did you try youtube?
It would help you not mess up with windows.
I fk up my pc once, by following wrong advice.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Kick it.

Frustrated Stephanie Beatriz GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

PhoenixTank

I'd be disconnecting anything not required... or booting from USB in case the existing partition is hosed and repairing. Failing that, a reinstall.

Drew1440

If you can get into Windows 10, hold shift and click on shutdown, it should bring up the startup menu before power off. Otherwise you will have to mash F8 on bootup.
Another method is to power off whilst Windows is booting, it'll prompt a recovery screen upon the next bootup where you can select safe mode, startup recovery, etc.
Lastly make sure your keyboard+mouse is connected to a USB2 port, instead of USB3.

Last edited:
Why do you need to boot into safe mode?

Because I can't get past the Windows 10 splash screen (which displays the time and date) to get through to the login screen. It kind of keeps bouncing straight back to the splash screen

So I thought safe mode might be a way in

Last edited:
I'd be disconnecting anything not required... or booting from USB in case the existing partition is hosed and repairing. Failing that, a reinstall.

It's a laptop and nothing external is plugged in

Well, except for a monitor because the laptop screen is pretty damaged

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Could be the display driver isn’t running due to it being in safe mode. Could be you need to run the command to fix the boot. I’ve seen earlier builds of Windows 10 have issues with the log in screen before. There’s a command you’ll need to run. You’ll have to get a command prompt to do it.

I work in IT. I had this issue back in 2016 or so. I think I had to turn off the Windows Animations and repair the bootrec. Now a days I’d just save the files via command line to an USB drive and reinstall Windows. Windows repair a lot of the times sucks at fixing the problem.

If there’s nothing on this you could just grab a new image of Windows 10 and reinstall Windows.

Cohetedor

Because I can't get past the Windows 10 splash screen (which displays the time and date) to get through to the login screen. It kind of keeps bouncing straight back to the splash screen

So I thought safe mode might be a way in
Are you saying the login screen comes up for a split second then closes? Might be a stuck key on your keyboard.

Are you saying the login screen comes up for a split second then closes? Might be a stuck key on your keyboard.

Yeah basically. So if I click the mouse or press a key, it goes to the login screen for a split second, but kicks me back to the splash screen before I can do anything

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah basically. So if I click the mouse or press a key, it goes to the login screen for a split second, but kicks me back to the splash screen before I can do anything
That sounds exactly how that issue was that I dealt with. Had to run that bootrec command to fix. I messed around with disabling any type of animation with Windows 10 sign in screen. That’s what fixed it for me. That’s if you can cross off it being a keyboard/mice issue.

That sounds exactly how that issue was that I dealt with. Had to run that bootrec command to fix. I messed around with disabling any type of animation with Windows 10 sign in screen. That’s what fixed it for me. That’s if you can cross off it being a keyboard/mice issue.

When I say click mouse, I really just mean the inbuilt laptop left click button

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When I say click mouse, I really just mean the inbuilt laptop left click button
The issue I saw was where the user could type 1 or 2 characters before it would flash and go right back to the sign in with date/time. Have you powered it down and held the power down to release the charge? Sometimes you can have your laptop deplete its battery if the battery can’t be taken out. The thing is, you can’t get signed in to apply updates. I’d imagine you need to hold shift reboot, advanced options (recovery?), command prompt and try running that command. You could always try a DISM repair as well and a sfc scannow /r. I say this after we tested swapping keyboards, mice, unplugging USB, and a bunch of other things.

If the sign in screen is corrupted and a repair doesn’t fix it you might want to re-install Windows. You can use a command line or use a SATA-to-USB or a m.2-to-USB and grab your data off the drive. Not sure what HD you’re using. Grab a thumb drive and download Windows Media Creation tool and put the ISO of Windows on that. You might have to go to the vendor’s website of your laptop to grab the NIC driver for wireless/Ethernet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom