• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

BigDug13

No reviews for this yet?

Embargo ends tomorrow I think. Not sure why they had such a strict embargo on reviews when the port turned out so well IMO. It's really a technical achievement to have the full game from this past generation's consoles on a handheld. The game was no slouch in its technical demands on the 360 and PS3.

depward

Embargo ends tomorrow I think. Not sure why they had such a strict embargo on reviews when the port turned out so well IMO. It's really a technical achievement to have the full game from this past generation's consoles on a handheld. The game was no slouch in its technical demands on the 360 and PS3.
Man, that sounds like what almost every review is going to open with ("It's really a technical achievement to have the full game from this past generation's consoles on a handheld") but then I'm sure they'll launch into FPS, bugs, blahblahblah 6.0.

I'm excited. I do own BL2 on PS3 (PS+) but I ACTUALLY prefer handheld gaming, hence why I'm jumping on this.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Man, that sounds like what almost every review is going to open with ("It's really a technical achievement to have the full game from this past generation's consoles on a handheld") but then I'm sure they'll launch into FPS, bugs, blahblahblah 6.0.
I'd be surprised if this isn't the case - I'd prefer something different, we do live in a world where Skyrim PS3 got universal acclaim in scores despite its frame rate issues and bugs so it'd be nice to see this get some recognition, but it is the Vita (and, to be fair, an older game) we're talking about. Not that I'm not completely in love with it!

wilflare

I find it sad that the following is happening

GoW HD Vita - Well-received by Critics, Frowned upon by Consumers
BL2 - Frowned upon by Critics, Well-received by Consumers

OmegaZero

So the weirdest thing happened.
I'm sure several of you have experienced the bug where audio does not play during the in-game cutscenes where (minor character spoilers for people who have somehow not played this yet)
Roland
and
Lilith
are introduced.

During co-op, the host I was playing with had the same issue, but all the audio played for me perfectly fine. All the sound effects and dialogue worked as they should.

Which is weird, as this has yet to happen to me in single player.
Can anyone else playing co-op test this or chime in?

spannicus

So the weirdest thing happened.
I'm sure several of you have experienced the bug where audio does not play during the in-game cutscenes where (minor character spoilers for people who have somehow not played this yet)
Roland
and
Lilith
are introduced.

During co-op, the host I was playing with had the same issue, but all the audio played for me perfectly fine. All the sound effects and dialogue worked as they should.

Which is weird, as this has yet to happen to me in single player.
Can anyone else playing co-op test this or chime in?

Happened to me in single play

Posted in the other thread but I was this close to buying this today but couldn't since the sale wasn't allowed. Why did Walmart set the game out but not allow anyone to buy it? :(

OmegaZero

Happened to me in single play

So the cutscenes worked fine for you?
Or the glitch happened during single player?

I've gotten Zero, Gaige, and Axton past the part where you rescue
Roland
and the afore-mentioned cutscenes have never had sound during single player. :/

spannicus

So the cutscenes worked fine for you?
Or the glitch happened during single player?

I've gotten Zero, Gaige, and Axton past the part where you rescue
Roland
and the afore-mentioned cutscenes have never had sound during single player. :/

There was no sound only vocals. I was like wtf when
The robot bust through the wall lol

Redhood

Found one review: 7.5/10; Thanks to reddit

http://www.gamezone.com/reviews/2014/05/11/borderlands-2-vita-review-loot-n-shoot-n-go

This part I have also felt and am not happy about it. Hope a patch is on the way.

There is also a noticeable delay in an enemy getting shot. One of the satisfying features of Borderlands is seeing damage numbers fly out from your enemies as you're pumping them full of lead. Here, the damage numbers never seem to sync up with your shots, always appearing slightly after it comes in contact with the enemy.

BigDug13

I can't figure out why this is happening as it defies all expectations. But this game actually feels like it runs smoother with better fps on my Vita 1k compared to the 2k. I was planning on selling the 1k and after playing this game non-stop on the 2k, I decided to turn it off and pop the memory card into my 1k and try it out on there.

The framerate immediately felt smoother. Aiming against enemies was no longer a slideshow. Controls felt snappier.

Can anyone explain why that could happen? Is it the refresh rate and response rate of the OLED? I've never heard of a console revision running things worse so I refuse to even consider that to be a possibility. So the only thing I can think of is the screen's refresh rate and response time?

Velcro Fly

I've watched a little bit of gameplay and it seems alright. I'm honestly not the type of gamer that frets about graphics and I played WoW for years with a frame rate in the mid teens. Never played either Borderlands game but the gameplay always intrigued me. Thinking about buying this at some point in the near future.

lights

I've watched a little bit of gameplay and it seems alright. I'm honestly not the type of gamer that frets about graphics and I played WoW for years with a frame rate in the mid teens. Never played either Borderlands game but the gameplay always intrigued me. Thinking about buying this at some point in the near future.

From what I've seen the graphics seem good enough, the crashes sound a bit disturbing though.

Velcro Fly

From what I've seen the graphics seem good enough, the crashes sound a bit disturbing though.

Hoping that if something is genuinely broken it will get fixed. I know the joke is that Sony doesn't care but I'm sure with this being the game they launched the 2000 with in a bundle they don't want it crashing everywhere. I have faith that it will get fixed. Buggy mess is something I can't really live with either, which is why I'm going to hold off on buying the game for a little while.

maouvin

This part I have also felt and am not happy about it. Hope a patch is on the way.

Same here; it's weird but I got used to it after some time. But it needs a fix, right now it feels like all my weapons are Torgue, but without the part that makes Mr. Torgue proud.

BigDug13

It's a pain when it happens. Thankfully the auto save system is pretty good so the amount of lost progress has been minimal. The biggest pain of it all is the wait times to load your character back up in the level.

rschauby

Banned
I can't figure out why this is happening as it defies all expectations. But this game actually feels like it runs smoother with better fps on my Vita 1k compared to the 2k. I was planning on selling the 1k and after playing this game non-stop on the 2k, I decided to turn it off and pop the memory card into my 1k and try it out on there.

The framerate immediately felt smoother. Aiming against enemies was no longer a slideshow. Controls felt snappier.

Can anyone explain why that could happen? Is it the refresh rate and response rate of the OLED? I've never heard of a console revision running things worse so I refuse to even consider that to be a possibility. So the only thing I can think of is the screen's refresh rate and response time?

Interesting. I'm not a very observant fps person but I'll try this tonight.

Hollycat

It's a pain when it happens. Thankfully the auto save system is pretty good so the amount of lost progress has been minimal. The biggest pain of it all is the wait times to load your character back up in the level.

Yeah, crashes are at most a minor annoyance. Unless you're playing an Anarchy Mechromancer.

BigDug13

Yeah, crashes are at most a minor annoyance. Unless you're playing an Anarchy Mechromancer.

On the flip side, the "suspend/resume" feature of the vita makes it easier to keep an anarchy stack between play times making it the best platform for playing that class since you don't have to "turn it off" each day and start your anarchy from scratch.

Jim Sterling's review is out.

He's pretty tough on it, saying it is a decent porting achievement but by far the worst version of BL2.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...6-Borderlands-2-PS-Vita-Review-Handsome-Slack

Of course it's the worst version of BL2. That's not the point of making it. Nobody realistically expected this game to outperform its versions on any other platforms on a platform that is supposed to be FAR weaker. In fact it performs beyond expectations for a handheld IMO.

But on Vita 1000. For some reason this game is running smoother on my older Vita than my new one.

RE_Player

I'm really torn on this. I want to buy it, but I don't know how much I should lower my expectations. I JUST started this game for the first time on PS3 last week. I would love to be able to take the game and my progress on the go. That much is clear. But I'm worried that it wont play well enough to satisfy me. Aaahhhh.

I guess the only option is to bite the bullet and hope the can fix certain things via patching.

BigDug13

I'm really torn on this. I want to buy it, but I don't know how much I should lower my expectations. I JUST started this game for the first time on PS3 last week. I would love to be able to take the game and my progress on the go. That much is clear. But I'm worried that it wont play well enough to satisfy me. Aaahhhh.

I guess the only option is to bite the bullet and hope the can fix certain things via patching.

It's not like the PS3 version has a good framerate or anything. I bet this game's framerate isn't far off.

AwRy108

It's not like the PS3 version has a good framerate or anything. I bet this game's framerate isn't far off.

Been thinking this the whole time, actually. The PS3's framerate was not so great, and it also had a lot of slowdown, especially during boss fights. Maybe they were just tailoring us for the Vita experience?

maouvin

Been thinking this the whole time, actually. The PS3's framerate was not so great, and it also had a lot of slowdown, especially during boss fights. Maybe they were just tailoring us for the Vita experience?

Holy shit. Truly one of the greatest keikaku ever.

Well if this game runs like the PS3 version, then I'd be completely content. I know it's not the best way to experience the game, but it's the only way I've done so. Since I don't know what it's like to have better, then I guess I can't be disappointed.

On the flip side, the "suspend/resume" feature of the vita makes it easier to keep an anarchy stack between play times making it the best platform for playing that class since you don't have to "turn it off" each day and start your anarchy from scratch.

Of course it's the worst version of BL2. That's not the point of making it. Nobody realistically expected this game to outperform its versions on any other platforms on a platform that is supposed to be FAR weaker. In fact it performs beyond expectations for a handheld IMO.

But on Vita 1000. For some reason this game is running smoother on my older Vita than my new one.

I just ran it on my old Vita, and I agree, it does seem to run better. I did this over my lunch break so it was quick but it seemed to be true. I'll check and try something a little more scientific when i get home tonight.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Well if this game runs like the PS3 version, then I'd be completely content. I know it's not the best way to experience the game, but it's the only way I've done so. Since I don't know what it's like to have better, then I guess I can't be disappointed.
The PS3 version is far smoother. I booted it up yesterday to compare, and yeah.

SirNinja

Asked in the community thread but didn't get a response. Can I get my 360 save over to my vita?

It's a complicated process, but yes, you can. The biggest obstacle is that you'll need a copy of the game on PS3 as well. Hopefully you got BL2 when it was free on PS+ a few weeks ago. If not, you can probably rent it somewhere for dirt cheap, or just borrow a friend's disc.

What to do:
  • Copy your 360 save to your PC using Horizon
  • Create a dummy save on the PS3 version, copy it to your PC via USB
  • Get Brute Force Save Data and use that to decrypt the PS3 save
  • Open your 360 save file in Gibbed's BL2 Save Editor, use it to change the save type to PS3, and overwrite your PS3 save (don't change the PS3 save's name)
  • Back in Brute Force Save Data, encrypt the data and transfer it back to your PS3 via USB
  • Wait for the cross-save patch to come out for PS3. In the meantime, make sure the file was correctly copied. Make a backup of it as well, just in case.
  • When the patch is out, you will have your former 360 save running on your Vita.
For more info/help, check this video and this post.

Also, a caveat: your Badass Rank won't carry over, as it's saved in a different file. You may be able to transfer this file over as well using the method above.

MattyG

Banned
Mehh, I was really excited for this, but hearng about these framerate problems and other things is kind of taking my excitement away.

matmanx1

Even with the issues I am still excited about BL2 on the Vita and am keeping my pre-order. Being able to suspend and play anywhere are fairly big bonuses and I am hoping that the crash and audio issues will be addressed via patches.

BigDug13

Mehh, I was really excited for this, but hearng about these framerate problems and other things is kind of taking my excitement away.

If you found the PS3 version of the game perfectly playable, then this version will be as well.

Well shit. Who would have thought that an inferior specced portable device would have the worst version?! Shocking.

C'mon Jim, get a grip. For fuck sake.

Agreed. Does he review other console ports on handheld and say " don't bother because it's the worst version of the game"? That's not the point of making it, to be the "best version". What a stupid criteria to have when reviewing a handheld port. Of course it's not going to be as good as the console version running on far superior hardware.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

I personally haven't had a problem yet besides that one minor glitch I said earlier in the topic which wasn't really a bad thing tbh.

Iron Galaxy seem to be looking into it though
MrFinalgamer ‏@MrFinalgamer May 10
@giocorsi @IToTheG BTW, here's the article on said glitch
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/0...ued-with-game-breaking-bugs-on-ps-vita/84396/ …

@MrFinalgamer @giocorsi we will definitely look into it and speak with Sony. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

and they favorited this: https://twitter.com/MarnsPoop/status/465301514240544769?refsrc=email

Top Bottom