• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

Is it possible to mod my PC save over to Vita or PS3?

Yes. PC -> PS3 -> Vita

Downloads Required
  • Install Bruteforce Save Data v4.4.2 - LINK
  • Install Visual Basic run-time files - LINK
  • Download Gibbed Save Editor - LINK

Steps
  1. Get a dummy save from your PS3 version of Borderlands 2. Simply create a new character, and quit once you're in gameplay
  2. Copy this save to your PC using via USB
  3. Open the dummy PS3 save in BFSD and select Decrypt PDF -> Decrypt All Files
  4. Now open Gibbed save editor and open your PC save. It should default to the correct directory.
  5. Change platform to PS3. Then click save. Now save this where your dummy PS3 .sav file currently is, and overwrite it.
  6. Go back to BFSD, and select Encrypt PFD - Encrypt decrypted files
  7. Then copy the PS3 save folder back onto your console from the USB, boot up the game, and you'll have your PC save on your PS3. Ready for the Vita version :D

Credit to iNvRG on se7ensins for his guide that I originally followed

BigDug13

It was a Sony employee, not one of the devs. In interviews, they've pretty much said that they don't plan to, yet.

It's mind boggling that they chose Captain Scarlett and Torgue but avoided the best DLC and the only major one made by Gearbox and not outsourced: Tiny Tina. And now have no current plans to port that. The fuck?

I entered a bunch of PS3 codes last night. I'm not sure how cross save will work, but I have 75+ keys on my PS3. They're obviously not tied to your shift account like I thought they were.

It's something per platform it seems. Setting a certain file to read only on PC lets you spend all your keys, leave he game, come back, and you return to the starting amount of keys unspent.

OmegaZero

Odd question, but has anyone heard any of the enemies do the Hamlet soliloquy in the Vita version?

I've heard a Burning Psycho going on about something that could have been him reciting Hamlet but I was too busy trying not to get pounded by a Ultimate Badass Goliath.

EDIT: In response to concerns about the enemy count: the amount of enemies you have to deal with at one time is less, but the amount of kills you'll rack up at the end of each encounter looks about the same.

BigDug13

Odd question, but has anyone heard any of the enemies do the Hamlet soliloquy in the Vita version?

I would hope they just ripped all the audio over, even if it was compressed. It seems like it would be a bigger pain in the ass to go through and disable certain calls to specific parts of the audio files on each enemy while removing those certain audio files to save space.

MattyG

Banned
I was hoping places would break the street date on this, maybe put it out with the bundle by mistake, but I don't think it's gonna hapoen. BestBuy had it listed as "available in store" on their site, but they won't sell it.

Played a bit last night and I've very happy with it so far. The graphics are good and although the frame rate is a bit sporadic its still very playable. I haven't noticed that there are fewer enemies and it is nice to have some of the DLC. I hope we get Tiny Tina's soon, I never got it and it's the one DLC I really want to play.

Xander51

My local Fry's sold out of their initial shipment of bundles on Tuesday, but they got another shipment today so I went and picked one up. Really like the feel of the system and the decreased size of the rear touch. Now I'm just waiting for the download of Borderlands to finish.

Korosenai

How do I delete the dlc off my vita? I just want the base game, and the dlc is taking up too much room right now, and i can always redownload it later if I want to play it.

How do I delete the dlc off my vita? I just want the base game, and the dlc is taking up too much room right now, and i can always redownload it later if I want to play it.

Delete the whole bubble and redownload only the game is your only option.
Really.

Make sure to save your save data to PS Plus or transfer it to your PC before you do this.

Quantum

So, seeing as how reviews are nowhere in sight, I guess I'll just ask those of you who have it; is it worth picking up as more than just a novelty? Does it feel like it belongs on the Vita? I'm having a hard time telling if I'd want to play this as a replacement to the PS3 version or not.

I picked up the bundle and really like the feel of the new vita.

as for BL2 its a borderline novelty for me right now. I have in full disclosure played 166 hours on a 30 inch PC monitor. I played with the 360 controller on the computer and am having a little difficulty with the vita.

It seems to me that the FOV is different - and I'm certainly not used to the controls.

I have recently put 100+ hours into RO ace (on both vita and ps3) so I'm used to holding my OG vita in awkward angles but for some reason I haven't warmed up to BL2 on the vita.

hopefully it will click, but as of right now - having played so much on the PC, I'd rather just play it on my PC.

(I feel like I have to say it runs very well though)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So, seeing as how reviews are nowhere in sight, I guess I'll just ask those of you who have it; is it worth picking up as more than just a novelty? Does it feel like it belongs on the Vita? I'm having a hard time telling if I'd want to play this as a replacement to the PS3 version or not.
Managed about three or four hours of this on the plane before I passed out from tiredness but it is completely amazing to me - I didn't think once about the system I was playing it on beyond 'fuck, I'm playing this massive open world game on a portable and can turn it on to play in seconds'. I have the default sprint/melee on back touch (OG vita) and have had no issues at all.

They've done an amazing job with it - main performance hits I've seen were with the Flynt boss fight and in one particular area on Sanctuary which chugged a bit - everything else has been great and I'm just having fun exploring and doing side quests. To think they actually came through with the BL on Vita promise is so great.

Hollycat

Anyone else experiencing audio issues ( when there is dialogue)? It seems to cut out/delay/not exist while in out in the field.

Yeah, there are audio issues with any dialogue not set to play through Echo. EX: flynts messages.

It sucks, because you miss quite a bit of funny audio.

Edit: Also, something has been tweaked with jacks voice, it sounds younger and weaker now, which is sadsad.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Yeah, there are audio issues with any dialogue not set to play through Echo. EX: flynts messages.

Edit: Also, something has been tweaked with jacks voice, it sounds younger and weaker now, which is sadsad.

Haven't had a problem like that but I did have somewhat of a glitch in the Road to Sanctuary where you have to save Reiss then he tells you where the power core is after he
dies
. After that I didn't even go to it but I just ran somewhere totally different, got killed by a random adult Bullymong, and it randomly just gave me the powercore out of nowhere when I respawned half way across the map. I still went back to do the optional kill 20people objective though.

After watching more videos I have cancelled my preorder. Frame rate just looks to low to often. Fps games with these kinda frame rates give me headaches. Shame.

BigDug13

Haven't had a problem like that but I did have somewhat of a glitch in the Road to Sanctuary where you have to save Reiss then he tells you where the power core is after he
dies
. After that I didn't even go to it but I just ran somewhere totally different, got killed by a random adult Bullymong, and it randomly just gave me the powercore out of nowhere when I respawned half way across the map. I still went back to do the optional kill 20people objective though.

Maybe you killed other random bandits and one of them dropped it?

OmegaZero

Yeah, the audio fails to load or cuts out occasionally, which is annoying in a game like this.

Also I found a shotgun that fires a bouncing electric laser ball thing.

depward

Funny people are canceling preorders while I'm drinking the kool-aid and just carved out some money from my budget for this next week.

Not sure if anyone has discussed: wondering how load times and such could possibly change from digital to physical...?

Hollycat

Funny people are canceling preorders while I'm drinking the kool-aid and just carved out some money from my budget for this next week.

Not sure if anyone has discussed: wondering how load times and such could possibly change from digital to physical...?

Load times are maybe a few seconds longer than the original versions, and probably no change in phys/digital.

matmanx1

The news on this port sounds mostly positive and that's great to hear. It does sound like a patch or two is needed to clean up some of the audio issues and other random glitches (like the DLC not registering correctly) but as it stands, well done Iron Galaxy!

I've got a couple of friends who got new Vitas and one of them let me try out his copy for a few minutes. The controls take some getting used to but the gameplay is the same and because it's native resolution, everything looks very good. Evening having put a bunch of time in the PC version I am still thinking about picking this up next week.

rschauby

Banned
I use default, but another good one is mapping melee to triangle and run to circle. Then crouch and cycle are on the back.

My set up

Rear Left: Crouch
Rear Right: Swap weapons
Front Left: Activate Ability
Front Right: Melee

Square: Reload/loot
X: Jump
O: Run
Triangle: Grenade

After enough Killzone, using my right thumb on screen for melee comes naturally. Also, your ability cooldown is on the bottom left so it almost seems like an on-screen button with my setup.

newsguy

My set up

After enough Killzone, using my right thumb on screen for melee comes naturally. Also, your ability cooldown is on the bottom left so it almost seems like an on-screen button with my setup.

I love this setup. Especially since you can swap weapons with d pad and I never crouch.

Hollycat

I'm making a list of things in this game that cause slowdown or crashes so we can avoid them. Quote this post if you have something to add.

Crashes:

Note: random crashes may occur, and seem to happen most often when playing a mechromancer. Even then, they are very few and far between.

location----
Tundra Express: Activating the emergency siren in the largest bandit camp is likely to cause tons of enemies to spawn as well as multiple buzzards. Super high risk during Tea Party quest.
Your character can also be randomly killed, but you will lose no anarchy or money.
Risk: Extremely HIGH
3 verified occasions with mechromancer

abilities and weapons------

Slowdown:

Sanctuary: You WILL experience slowdown in Sanctuary due to NPC density.
Southern Shelf: Likely slowdown in Flynt boss battle due to fire and enemy density.
Likely slowdown against Midgemong due to increased enemy spawn rate.

Caustic Caverns: runs slightly slower than normal for most of this level due to both environmental details and enemy density. Possible experience greater slowdown if you kill a ton of crystal enemies in Avery short period of time.

Irritating glitches:
Buzzards get stuck in Finks slaughter house. Requires quitting to the main menu to fix.

Awesome glitches:

Crashing can randomly grant you bonus badass tokens on reboot.

itschris

Toys R Us in Canada is having a Buy 1, get 1 40% off sale on all games this week, so I went there yesterday planning to get Mario Golf and Kirby for 3DS. When I got there they also had Borderlands 2 in the Vita section, so I grabbed that as well (and the new Professor Layton for an even fourth game). I wasn't sure if they were going to let me buy it since I thought it wasn't supposed to be for sale yet, but they did, no problems!

So if anyone in Canada wants to get the retail version early (and save some money if you get a second game) you might want to check out Toys R Us. YMMV though, I don't know if it was just the store near me in Winnipeg that was selling it early or if they all are.

I've only played an hour so far, but I'm very impressed with how it looks. Yeah, there are framerate drops, but I'm surprised how good it looks, and that they managed to make it native res. I haven't had many problems with the controls so far; I like the left side of the back touch for running, but I might change melee to a button or the front touchscreen rather than back touch - I found it a bit hard to aim my attacks while using it.

Oh, and with the physical copy, the game takes up 2077 MB on the memory card with all the DLC and the patch installed.

Downloads Required
  • Install Bruteforce Save Data v4.4.2 - LINK
  • Install Visual Basic run-time files - LINK
  • Download Gibbed Save Editor - LINK

Steps
  1. Get a dummy save from your PS3 version of Borderlands 2. Simply create a new character, and quit once you're in gameplay
  2. Copy this save to your PC using via USB
  3. Open the dummy PS3 save in BFSD and select Decrypt PDF -> Decrypt All Files
  4. Now open Gibbed save editor and open your PC save. It should default to the correct directory.
  5. Change platform to PS3. Then click save. Now save this where your dummy PS3 .sav file currently is, and overwrite it.
  6. Go back to BFSD, and select Encrypt PFD - Encrypt decrypted files
  7. Then copy the PS3 save folder back onto your console from the USB, boot up the game, and you'll have your PC save on your PS3. Ready for the Vita version :D

Credit to iNvRG on se7ensins for his guide that I originally followed

Anyone know if I can keep my Vita character and merge it with my PC save (via the above method?)

Or will I have to delete my current Vita character?

BigDug13

My set up

This is the setup I use. The way I hold the Vita somehow causes me to (rarely) touch the right side of the screen. I found that mapping melee to right screen caused me less trouble than grenades as an accidental melee strike isn't a big deal.

Also, IF you are having issues with the controls and aiming:
Try setting the sensitivity down from the default 6 on both X and Y axis. I use 4 personally. It causes me to turn slower, but it also causes me to no longer see a slideshow as I try to get my bearings while aiming at enemies. It's more "framerate slowdown" friendly as it causes a more smooth aiming without the dropped frame slideshow.

FMbarbarian

I find that keeping melee on back touch is useful for Krieg and Zero. It keeps you're thumb free to control the camera while you melee.

I'm making a list of things in this game that cause slowdown or crashes so we can avoid them. Quote this post if you have something to add.

Crashes:
location----
Tundra Express: Activating the emergency siren in the largest bandit camp is likely to cause tons of enemies to spawn as well as multiple buzzards. Super high risk during Tea Party quest.
Your character can also be randomly killed, but you will lose no anarchy or money.
Risk: Extremely HIGH
3 verified occasions with mechromancer

Three Horns: Randomly crashing
Risk: Extremely Low
Someone sent me a message on PSN, and the game crashed. No idea what caused it.

abilities and weapons------

Slowdown:

Sanctuary: You WILL experience slowdown in Sanctuary due to NPC density.
Southern Shelf: Likely slowdown in Flynt boss battle due to fire and enemy density.
Likely slowdown against Midgemong due to increased enemy spawn rate.

Irritating glitches:

Awesome glitches:

Crashing can randomly grant you bonus badass tokens on reboot.

Not sure if you know this but your post is being used as proof that the game is a terrible port and that it's not fair to gamers to go out and buy a game as broken as borderlands 2. Not sure if that's how you feel about the game, just thought it was strange.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/0...ued-with-game-breaking-bugs-on-ps-vita/84396/

Yado

Hm, in the original game if you walk out of earshot of the NPC you're speaking to their voice will come on through the "echo" thing. Does it work like that on this as well? It may help when it comes to missing audio.

Needed to come in here and say how overwhelmingly pleased I am with this game. My expectations were reasonably low and this game is blowing me away, it's so much fun! Don't see myself putting this down any time soon, so glad I took the leap!

Top Bottom