• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 |OT| Vault Hunter, Welcome Back To The Borderlands

Desudzer10

After going through 2 playthroughs of the story with 2 different characters this is what i think.

The story is ok. It good, there's nice surprises and fun moments, but tyreen makes me miss jack. 7/10

Sound is almost perfect. Guns sound like their own, voice acting is great, and the soundtrack is about as good as it can be. 10/10

Presentation is meh. I don't know why they made all the menus for everything so complex. I know you get used to it, but fast traveling takes extra steps, changing weapons takes extra steps, and the menus go so slow. I like the thought, but the implementation of it was poor. 4/10

Gameplay. Sliding and vaulting is smooth and welcomed in this series. Being able to switch options for guns on the fly is a fun new addition. Guns feel and shoot smooth. Lots of variety for loot, skills, and customization. Tons of missions, over 50 hours worth, not including arenas, trials, and mayhem modes. But...but, several times there are lag spikes, sound cuts out, glitches, and not being able to interact with things for missions. Very annoying, but the pros are so good. 8/10

Verdict. I've been a borderlands fanboy since the first one came out. It's my favorite series, and 3 is now my favorite game. But, i know it's not perfect of the best thing ever. So personally it's a 9 for me. But take my love for the series out of it it's a solid 7. Fix the bugs and menus then it can be a 9.

FMXVII

Eh.

I am level 26.

My best weapon is still a level 18 purple Torgue shottie.

It was a Torgue loyalty reward.

2 shots per clip, +18 per sticky.

So sticky icky. So good.

It melts most enemies in one clip.

Last edited:

INC

I miss the old damage numbers, getting 100k per shot and stuff, does that ever happen after the end game?

Do far nothing over 200 damage (lvl 31 currently)

Dontero

Banned
Finished BL3 with friend 2 days ago.

the bad:

- Main story is shite. It always feels like main cast is fucking retarded and they behave ATROCIOUSLY in every situation concerning twins.
- Twins are annoying which is worse than bad. Everytime they are on screen they just are fucking annoying. Like many have said Handsome Jack was great villain but Twins are just annoying pricks.
- power levels and cinematography is bottom tier. Like in one moment you have someone kicking twin asses and then out of "nowhere" one of the twins grab someone and wins. Like wors kind of comix where writer can't write competent story so his villain just wins by some retarded means. Everything relies on coincidence.

the good:

- guns. Highlight of game. There are so many fun guns to shoot and BL still proves it shits all over other looter shooters like Destiny.
- gunplay. They basically fixed it and not it feels awesome. Guns never feel clunky on purpose but clunky because you shoot with piece of shit. On other hand guns that are great shoot great.
- fast travel. BL2 had fun quest but it was not fun to trek back everytime after quest or whole maps to quest. BL3 fixes that and you can now fast travel to your car as well as other places from any place.
- enemy feedback. IT is fun to shoot enemies now. They ragdoll around, stagger and so on, even bosses. It never feels like your guns don't pack a punch. It is fun to watch how enemy jumps on you and then flies off in oposite direction after burst from your shotgun.
- humor. It is very rare to get chukle out of me but this game managed to do it often. BL world is mad and me likes it mad.

meh:
- quests. As usuall they are just excuse to shot things. There are few good ones but there are few sob stories that are fucking annoying. For example that one about Handsome Jack daughter where you have to stand and listen for 10 minutes sob story about shitty little daughter of his having siren comeout that literally serves no purpose. TinyTina from BL2 quest was handled much better and was much better fitting that world.

I miss the old damage numbers, getting 100k per shot and stuff, does that ever happen after the end game?
Do far nothing over 200 damage (lvl 31 currently)

Neither does borderlands have those at 31 lvl.
Also i hope they won't have that in BL3. Bullet sponges are the worst.

Doom85

- fast travel. BL2 had fun quest but it was not fun to trek back everytime after quest or whole maps to quest. BL3 fixes that and you can now fast travel to your car as well as other places from any place.

Okay, I'm clearly missing something here because to me it seemed like the fast travel options were FAR worse compared to 2. 2 usually had several fast-travel spots in each map, whereas in 3 I've only seen 1 option in each map except for one map in Promethea that had two. Do I have to actually move the cursor over the map to find these because I just assumed the named ones of the left of the menu were my only options.

Dontero

Banned
Okay, I'm clearly missing something here because to me it seemed like the fast travel options were FAR worse compared to 2. 2 usually had several fast-travel spots in each map, whereas in 3 I've only seen 1 option in each map except for one map in Promethea that had two. Do I have to actually move the cursor over the map to find these because I just assumed the named ones of the left of the menu were my only options.

Every car you take is mobile fast travel point.

Mista

Banned
I hate the ship and how the drop pod glitches so you have to move to another planet then back to where you want

FMXVII

Oh, lmao, Gearbox.

Goddamn do you suck.

Killjoys.

All nerfs, all day.

Fortunately, I saw this coming a mile away, and unplugged from the get go.

MastAndo

Just got a pistol from a side mission on
Eden-6 called the "Extreme Hangin' Chadd".
I thought my game was glitching, but apparently it has unlimited ammo, never needs to be reloaded and it never overheats. You can just keep firing basically, well, forever. The sights are obstructed by the design, but small price to pay for what it can do. It's too bad it's just a rare gun, and I'm a level 24 so I'll outgrow it soon enough.

Also, kind of weird how quickly Gearbox turned into the fun police with these hotfixes, while there are some pretty severe issues going on with the game. I know a patch and a hotfix are two different things, but just seems like a bad look...but I suppose I'm just a bit salty about my framerates right now.

Dontero

Banned
I think biggest improvement over past games is that you don't actually outgrown your old equipment quickly. I finished game on 38 level and for a good while up until very end i was using torgue kielbasa shotgun and it was only rare.
Same with weapon rarity. You can easily find green or even white that just works better than epics.

My biggest gripe for gameplay is that active skills overshadow completely character builds you make. Only Zane is free of that rest are effectively some overwatch heroes and guns they pick up and use are secondary.

MastAndo

I think biggest improvement over past games is that you don't actually outgrown your old equipment quickly. I finished game on 38 level and for a good while up until very end i was using torgue kielbasa shotgun and it was only rare.
Is that so? What about the item score? Does that level out later in the game? I haven't really had a chance to take a close look at DPS between like weapons with different item scores, but I'm finding 350 weapons, and I'm just assuming a 250-ish weapon is basically trash to me now, no matter how good it was at one point. Is that a mistake?

sendit

Same with weapon rarity. You can easily find green or even white that just works better than epics.

My biggest gripe for gameplay is that active skills overshadow completely character builds you make. Only Zane is free of that rest are effectively some overwatch heroes and guns they pick up and use are secondary.

Can't agree with this. Playing a crit hit build (Flak) with a sniper rifle being my main weapon. Active skills are secondary to me unless the enemy gets close.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Is that so? What about the item score? Does that level out later in the game? I haven't really had a chance to take a close look at DPS between like weapons with different item scores, but I'm finding 350 weapons, and I'm just assuming a 250-ish weapon is basically trash to me now, no matter how good it was at one point. Is that a mistake?

it all depends on what weapon does and how attributes change.

For example +50% accuracy on Hyperion rifle is useless, add to that 20% crit, increased mag and few other and you have legendary.

Now take jakobs pistol, increase by 50% damage (jakobs have huge damage so huuuuge buff) and that white will outgun above legendary even if that legendary has greater score. Give it extra crit damage which nicely works together with jakobs special ricochet skill and it will last you for good 10 levels.

You can easily find green guns that will last you 10-15 levels easily because how they comboed with gun itself.
It is all about weapons type, attachements and passive buffs.

Just got a pistol from a side mission on
Eden-6 called the "Extreme Hangin' Chadd".
I thought my game was glitching, but apparently it has unlimited ammo, never needs to be reloaded and it never overheats. You can just keep firing basically, well, forever. The sights are obstructed by the design, but small price to pay for what it can do. It's too bad it's just a rare gun, and I'm a level 24 so I'll outgrow it soon enough.

Also, kind of weird how quickly Gearbox turned into the fun police with these hotfixes, while there are some pretty severe issues going on with the game. I know a patch and a hotfix are two different things, but just seems like a bad look...but I suppose I'm just a bit salty about my framerates right now.

Did they seriously nerf drop rates when basically everyone was happy with where they were at?

It's a freaking co-op game. Let people have their fun.

FMXVII

LMAO at that "official" Gearbox forum thread.

SO.MANY "Thank you, Gearbox, for nerfing the fun!" POSTS.

SO.MANY.SHILLS.

FMXVII

Getting pummelled by Billy the Annointed.

Died about 10 times now; starting to get annoying!

He is broken as all fuck.

Try going up on the balcony, in the previous room and hiding behind the table there... he doesn't come up the stairs and you can just hit him in the head until he dies... he'll switch sides occasionally, but he won't hit you.

Last edited:

Salvatron

I love these slide modifiers. Ive got a slide accellerant +83% that leaves an icetrail.. so basically my Moza is iceman now. Slip n slidin all over the place.

EDIT: Frozone tier

Last edited:
Finished the game today. Now the grind starts to level 50

I’ve set the mode to vault hunters and choose mayhem 1 in-game. Shall I pump that to mayhem 2 or 3?

I thought all of the unfinished side missions were supposed to match to your level after you finished the game, but that didn't happen for me. Perhaps I need to set it to Meyhem 1 for it to work. I really don't even want to bother with True Vault Hunter mode just yet, because it stupidly (IMO) makes it so friends can't join your game and get matched according to their level.

One of the best new features, and it's for whatever dumb reason disabled in hard mode.

Anyhow, now that you've finished the game, you should drop by my spoiler thread. I'd like to hear what you thought of the ending, and the story in general.

Mista

Banned
I thought all of the unfinished side missions were supposed to match to your level after you finished the game, but that didn't happen for me. Perhaps I need to set it to Meyhem 1 for it to work. I really don't even want to bother with True Vault Hunter mode just yet, because it stupidly (IMO) makes it so friends can't join your game and get matched according to their level.

One of the best new features, and it's for whatever dumb reason disabled in hard mode.

Anyhow, now that you've finished the game, you should drop by my spoiler thread. I'd like to hear what you thought of the ending, and the story in general.

So TVH is solo only?

So TVH is solo only?

No, but it disables level matching. If you're a level 47 character, and your level 35 friend who just finished the campaign joins you, they're stuck fighting level 47 enemies. That, or you can join their game and fight level 35 enemies, while you're accomplishing next to nothing for your own character. Lame.

Yeah, I'm not happy about that. Unless I missed something, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was suggesting in the menu description of the mode. See for yourself:

[EDIT] It turns out, this isn't as bad as I thought it was. Turning on Mayhem level 1 already matches the quests, enemies, and loot to your current level. So basically, just don't play True Vault Hunter Mode until you're at the level cap. Then you can start again with the campaign being even harder, and continue working on those guardian ranks.

Last edited:
Thinking about getting this game for the PS4 Pro or PC. Got some money laying around on my PSN, but the perfomance kinda holds me back..
My PC could run this game fine (GTX 1070) but then again i would like to have the game on Steam rather than the Epic Games Launcher. On what platform are you guys playing? Is the perfomance on console really that bad?

Console performance on the pro is pretty shoddy. I locked my system to 1080p (because I got tired of it sounding like a jet turbine) and I have the game set to performance mode. It's definitely playable, but it ain't maintaining 60fps. The amount of texture pop in is laughable. Sometimes it'll take like 15 plus seconds for all the textures to load in.
It's a mess, but I'm having fun! Level 32 gunner on like the 20th main mission. Gun variety is great this time, but the drop levels are wonky. Bosses have WAY too many hp's, soloing some of these things takes like 10 plus minutes.

Lesleyy

Neo Member
Console performance on the pro is pretty shoddy. I locked my system to 1080p (because I got tired of it sounding like a jet turbine) and I have the game set to performance mode. It's definitely playable, but it ain't maintaining 60fps. The amount of texture pop in is laughable. Sometimes it'll take like 15 plus seconds for all the textures to load in.
It's a mess, but I'm having fun! Level 32 gunner on like the 20th main mission. Gun variety is great this time, but the drop levels are wonky. Bosses have WAY too many hp's, soloing some of these things takes like 10 plus minutes.

Agree with the first part. Sometimes it runs godlike, but most of the time it's heavily dipping. Level 23-something Siren here. Think I'm going to hold off on playing for a bit.

I got past KillaVolt, one major gripe I have is when you wipe on a boss. When you attempt it again the ammo crates are not reset so you actually have a better advantage by just logging out to the title screen and fully restarting the encounter so you can reset those crates for possible health pots and ammo.

Now I'm on Kodogawa Ball though and this boss is so fucking cheap.

Doom85

I just left KillaVolt alone after losing the first time and came back after gaining 3 levels. Fight was way easier, also just keep moving to areas not currently affected by his attack and I didn't find it that difficult.

ultrazilla

Is the horrible menu lag in the PC version of the game a known problem? I have it on PC and the PS4 Pro(performance mode FTW). The PS4 Pro menus are
pretty much lag free. The PC version? Holy shit it's bad.

Also, the actual waypoint/map interaction layout is terrible. I had to show my son how to fast travel back to a point and he didn't know he had to
go to orbital view to get more options. So yeah. The game needs a major patch for the PC.

Huh, menus on my pro were laggy as fuck, it was one of the worst parts of the experience. Was using performance mode as well.

Beat the main campaign this morning, level 36 gunner. There is a metric ton of side stuff and a some other things that unlock at the end as well. I'll probably go back and do another run with a different character after a few patches.

Performance issues aside, I had some good fun. I feel like gun variety is much better this time around, I had some pretty crazy ones towards the end. Gunner seems almost op once you unlock a lot of the mech stuff.

Bearly starting the game, but my son wants to play every time i play so its always laggy in the menus and a lil when it gets hectic. but o well, spending time with him is worth it. i'll play alone when hes asleep.
Using Zane, but feel kinda.....off. don't know if to keep going or restart with another character.

Chittagong

Gold Member
None of those games are even remotely close lol. Borderlands is closer to diablo, in fact it IS Diablo with guns.

Play diablo 3 and imagine it is a first person shooter and you will have the closest thing to Borderlands.

And for those that will complain Destiny != Borderlands.
If you were to go through just the story and end there it would be closer to Bulletstorm with out the environmental destruction . You can break apart certain things but you're not going to destroy a city during gameplay. You go from mission to mission gaining levels , better skills and weapons with a decent amount of story.

As stated above though this is very close to Diablo with guns and is very loot/build focused and as such the game really starts when you beat the story and hit level cap . At this point the loop is : Go kill things to get loot to go kill bigger things to get better loot which allows you to kill even bigger things to get even better loot which you can use to kill the biggest things to get the best loot and then it kinda becomes how fast and efficiently you can kill the biggest things .

Ha, thanks for this. I had understood it completely wrong. I do love Diablo. The mindless, endless, satisfying grind.

Sounds like Too Human actually :D

Last edited:
None of those games are even remotely close lol. Borderlands is closer to diablo, in fact it IS Diablo with guns.

Play diablo 3 and imagine it is a first person shooter and you will have the closest thing to Borderlands.

And for those that will complain Destiny != Borderlands.
Ha, thanks for this. I had understood it completely wrong. I do love Diablo. The mindless, endless, satisfying grind.

Sounds like Too Human actually :D
Diablo with guns is actually a pretty good explanation. With this game, they even added Torment Mayhem levels, which increase both the difficulty and the quality of loot. So far there are only 3 levels, but I could definitely see them adding more sometime.

G-Bus

Banned
Really enjoying this so far. Mostly playing solo. Level 17 Zane. The fact they're adding raids and have some decent looking endgame content might keep me around for it.

Just took out killavolt and I was expecting something a lot harder given all the talk I've seen online. Luckily he took me down right when his adds spawned and I managed a second wind. All I needed.

Got his legendary gun too. Not bad.

Duallusion

I was hoping Zane will be a good replacement for Roland/Axton but I'm just not feeling him - not one of his trees. I'll keep going with him but Fl4k crit build was way more fun from the get-go.

And unskippable intros/videos on new playthroughs; really Gearbox? Campaign's gonna get old fast anyway, no need to make it extra annoying.

Gearbox really nailed the environment art design, Athena and Promethea are so damn gorgeous in some areas (playing on PC). Lots of little attention to detail tlc in the environments.

FMXVII

I was hoping Zane will be a good replacement for Roland/Axton but I'm just not feeling him - not one of his trees. I'll keep going with him but Fl4k crit build was way more fun from the get-go.

And unskippable intros/videos on new playthroughs; really Gearbox? Campaign's gonna get old fast anyway, no need to make it extra annoying.

Zane sucks.

And not just at endgame, where he is CLEARLY the worst by a huge margin.

He is weak all over.

He was my first high level toon.

Then I took Fl4k for a spin, and never looked back.

The DPS difference is staggering.

And Fl4k might be the weakest of the three good characters.

Top Bottom