• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 removing Cross-Play for Playstation Platforms

Yeah I don't get it either. People expect crossplay to save a game's dwindling playerbase like it's a universal solution when in fact if the game was good in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

Yes, because only good things sell. No one should be playing anything but Call of Duty, Fortnite, and Minecraft.

Transformers 5 outgrossed Shawshank by like 12 times over because it was a much better movie 😂

ethomaz

Banned
Well that blows. I have a few friends that only own this on PS I would have loved to play with.

Just because nobody outside of your PlayStation fanboy bubble likes you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.
That is the point PlayStation is made for PlayStation fans... we don’t need to play with others bases.

If you want to play with us feel free to buy a PlayStation... we will happily welcome you without need that bullshit crossplay excuse.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm alright with this. This is a series I've always played solo and cross play is really only necessary for BRs and fighting games. And tbh, only games with low player bases are the only ones that need it. Cross play should be something that extends the life of a dying game rather than a catch-all solution.

zaanan

Banned
Bringing up x360 stuff is irrelevant in current year.

The hell it is.

The only reason the example is older is because that was the last time they were in a position of strength (at least in USA). Make no mistake: Microsoft would never promote crossplay if they were still on top. They are historically one of the most anticompetitive corporations in the software industry, and have been sued etc many times for abuses of their dominant market position. All this is directly applicable to the current topic; it is simply in their DNA.

elliot5

The hell it is.

The only reason the example is older is because that was the last time they were in a position of strength (at least in USA). Make no mistake: Microsoft would never promote crossplay if they were still on top. They are historically one of the most anticompetitive corporations in the software industry, and have been sued etc many times for abuses of their dominant market position. All this is directly applicable to the current topic; it is simply in their DNA.
Historically. Cool. They're also a different company than before and are very open source and linux friendly. MS under Satya is very different under Gates or Balmer. It's still irrelevant to pull up what MS did 10 years ago compared to what EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY is doing now

S0ULZB0URNE

The hell it is.

gaQW8jJ.gif

Bryank75

Banned
Well that blows. I have a few friends that only own this on PS I would have loved to play with.

Just because nobody outside of your PlayStation fanboy bubble likes you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.
Fact is PlayStation has the biggest player bases for most games like this... Destiny, BL, Genshin, Fortnite etc.

They should leverage their position, so that if you want to be in the most vibrant and active multiplayer scene, then you have to buy a PlayStation.

It's far more likely people buy a PlayStation due to this policy than the other way round.

The hell it is.

1. I've never seen evidence that Sony was in favor of crossplay with Xbox in the PS3 days, just that they would do PC crossplay (which matches their current opinion on crossplay)

2. Treating a giant company like a singular person and acting like complete changes in leadership can't or won't change how a company operates, is quite a foolish opinion

3. If in the future Xbox decides they don't want crossplay anymore, guess what, people will start hating on Xbox for doing that, so who cares about a hypothetical situation in the future. It's like you're trying to justify a pro-company anti-consumer move just because your favorite company is the one doing it, instead of caring about what is OBJECTIVELY a pro consumer move with no possible negative effects for you as a consumer, so why are you so against it?

Also this notion that Xbox players are desperately in need of crossplay because of low player counts is hilariously misguided and nothing but fanboy-driven nonsense, crossplay allows friends to play with each other, and allows dying games to last longer (or even thrive) on every platform, the ONLY potential downside to crossplay is PC crossplay (which Sony has no problem with btw), in terms of keyboard+mouse and potentially more hackers, but even that gets overexaggerated.

I hope every single company does this and makes it very clear that Sony is the reason for no crossplay, so Sony is forced to stop with their nonsense policy that hurts the industry just because they're worried that people might game more on other platforms if they aren't held hostage by Sony. And I promise you that I wanted crossplay just as much in the 360 era, just in case you try and argue that I only want crossplay because Xbox is "losing".

Newsflash, it's possible to be in favor of a decision Xbox makes and against a decision Playstation makes, and STILL BE A PLAYSTATION GAMER, I swear some people here seem to base their opinions on a decision based solely on which company made it (and yes Xbox fanboys are just as bad, but this is a heavily Sony slanted forum so the Playstation fanboys are more prevalent here)

Last edited:

reksveks

Historically. Cool. They're also a different company than before and are very open source and linux friendly. MS under Satya is very different under Gates or Balmer. It's still irrelevant to pull up what MS did 10 years ago compared to what EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY is doing now
This is a Microsoft that turned around both Gabe and Tim Sweeney's, realised that they make a bigger difference to all users by actually contributing to the Chromium project and make it great.

Also its irrelevant to whether Microsoft was shit before cause people were criticising them ( I was a 9 year old roughly at the time of the anti-trust case so unlikely to be complaining at that age).

93xfan

Banned
How? The industry was working quite fine without cross play. Now cross play is here (with PlayStation too). Just not for Borderlands 3 at this moment. But it may come back later.
Bad to have a platform holder discouraging it. Smaller titles I don’t have as large of a fan base may have trouble keeping the communities active, where they otherwise would not have

wipeout364

That is the point PlayStation is made for PlayStation fans... we don’t need to play with others bases.

If you want to play with us feel free to buy a PlayStation... we will happily welcome you without need that bullshit crossplay excuse.
So ridiculous, why would you not want the biggest number of players possible to reduce wait times, improve matchmaking and in particular skill based matchmaking.

I am a PlayStation owner and I want cross play so don’t lump me into in with your bullshit “PlayStation fans only want to play with PlayStation people”. I play on all 4 systems and I want cross play and cross progression every place it’s technically possible.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bad to have a platform holder discouraging it. Smaller titles I don’t have as large of a fan base may have trouble keeping the communities active, where they otherwise would not have

How are they discouraging cross play?

ethomaz

Banned
So ridiculous, why would you not want the biggest number of players possible to reduce wait times, improve matchmaking and in particular skill based matchmaking.

I am a PlayStation owner and I want cross play so don’t lump me into in with your bullshit “PlayStation fans only want to play with PlayStation people”. I play on all 4 systems and I want cross play and cross progression every place it’s technically possible.
Because I never had these issues to begin with... it is no my issue if you play in another platforms.
Fix the matchmaking to be faster.
Makes the game more popular.
Makes better gameplay mechanics.

No, instead hide behind crossplay bandaid narrative lol

Last edited:

drganon

Nah, Microsoft is still a shit company. They've just gotten better at pr.

demigod

2 of my friend have the game on ps4
i have it on pc
i played solo and we wanted to play the dlc the three of us (tbh i pushed a little for it)
i will not buy the game , the dlc and PS+,it won't happen.
here sony will not see the money of two MTX ...
That’s what you think. Your two friends will be buying it and playing it without you, lol.

ethomaz

Banned
Please explain why crossplay is bad?
- Different play field, unfair advantages or disadvantages.
- Unfair monetization across different platforms.
- Cheaters / Malicious code.
- Removed choice for players (you are forced to be into crossplay in most if not all games)

I can go on... all the issues with Crossplay where already explained dozen of times.

Last edited:

MScarpa

Not really. Sony sucks too, if that makes you feel better. I'm just not gonna pretend Microsoft aren't the same shit company they've always been, Bill Gates or not.
You know, its important to not carry around t all this hate and disdain. Not good for your health my friend. Learn to love and appreciate things. Could be a lot worse.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That is fine... just let us without bullshit crossplay is good excuse...

I never expected non PS players to try to influence what is good for PS players.
My wife would use crossplay a ton from Playstation, as it's her main console and we have friends on Xbox.

Ironically.. she bought an Xbox... to deal with that lol

Lack of crossplay sells Xboxs too.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
we are into crazy theories and drama but:
Sony made the show “for all mankind” for Apple streaming service! Now Sony doing a show for Netflix

Sony never took sides on the Apple vs Epic lawsuit.
This is just a game failing to pass certification for cross play and Twitter drama.

ethomaz

Banned
My wife would use crossplay a ton from Playstation, as it's her main console and we have friends on Xbox.

Ironically.. she bought an Xbox... to deal with that lol

Lack of crossplay sells Xboxs too.
That is fine.
She can buy what she wants... that is how it always worked.

EDMIX

Agreed.

Sony supported cross play for several generations ahead of the competition with shit like FFXI, DC Universe etc From PS2, PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 etc. No one gave a shit, yet suddenly Sony says no to a few games and now Cross play is the G.O.A.T lol When the generation started and they literally had several games cross play, no one really gave a shit and it wasn't some massive deal breaker or anything remotely like that.

Several on that list are cross play. They bring up Cross play ZERO TIMES, but shit, its just a list, lets look at a review of that launch in general.

https://kotaku.com/all-24-of-the-ps4s-launch-games-reviewed-1464421841

The word cross play is not stated once, but shit...they don't even bring up the fact that several of those games can be played with PC players even if they don't say the damn term. So how fucking important was it that you could play with different install bases with Warthunder, Warframe? Clearly not that important, but suddenly its not a deal breaker when no one said shit about this when they literally launched with cross play titles. Those articles show clearly, it wasn't a hot topic, it wasn't a big deal, it wasn't some revolutionary idea and it wasn't some massive issue.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sony supported cross play for several generations ahead of the competition with shit like Everquest, FFXI, DC Universe etc From PS2, PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 etc.

EverQuest? What are you talking about? The PS2 EverQuest was a game called EverQuest Online Adventures that was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the PC game (it was set 500 years earlier) and was only on the PS2 and no other platform.

Brofist

I couldn't give 2 fucks about cross play personally, I've never played a major game online on the PC that I found difficulty in finding other people to play with online.

But the bs spin in here is ridiculous. You wanna play with the exclusive PS player base you have to join our exclusive cult club. Imagine thinking owning a few hundred dollar plastic shit box makes you part of an exclusive club now.

Last edited:

MScarpa

People talking about shit about Sony like they're greedy ones. Just same random ignorant (in purpose or not? who knows) haters as usual..

Sure meanwhile Sony are using their earning money to release great games , also let's act like it's not MS that been make you pay online to play free to play and that also tried to sell you Xbox Gold for 120$, double the original price, and i'll pass.
The hypocrisy in this post is unbelievable. Spin it however you want my man.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
- Different play field, unfair advantages or disadvantages.
- Unfair monetization across different platforms.
- Cheaters / Malicious code.
- Removed choice for players (you are forced to be into crossplay in most if not all games)

I can go on... all the issues with Crossplay where already explained dozen of times.

remember when you got caught in 4k lying about crossplay in SFV?

hlm666

But the tweet doesn't make any sense if its about paying. Gearbox went in and was already working on crossplay on Sony. This revenue system didn't sneak up on them. So why would they have started work on that knowing they'd pay then tell Sony "F off"?
The train of thought from the video was borderlands 3 publisher saw that epic had a 15% revenue split figure that came out during the trial, borderlands 3 might have been on a bigger percentage and after seeing what epic got they wanted a better deal. When they couldn't get that they told gearbox not to put crossplay in the playstation version. It has some logic to it, but obviously it's all speculation.

Top Bottom