• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 won't have preloading on the EGS.

What? Randy removed the tiny versions of the enemies?
yup. They said it was insensitive.
This is parody, right?

As has been said, only the term was removed. The tiny enemies will still be in the game, but they're called something else.

Also, as seen on the Gearbox forum:

Gearbox forum mod: It’s polite to use non-binary pronouns, (they/them)

Forum member: But… he’s a single person.

Or… is he two midgets one on top of the other? GASP!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

JCK75

srsly give it some time they made a roadmap they are working towards it. Just annoyed by people screaming murder like steam is holy and shit. dear lord i hated steam when it launched.

I'd love to give it some time, but they didn't have the decency to give me a choice... I'm forced to use it now when it sucks ass.. were I not FORCED I'd be happy about a new store growing and would gladly give it time to do so.
It's kind of like how women enjoy sex more when they are courted, given time to get to know you and choose to do so rather than you just holding them down and making them like it...

People also found this quote on an official page on the Gearbox website, which has now been changed:

“One of the strongest early game builds for FL4K, I personally think, is using his Fade Away skill with the modification that allows unlimited shots while cloaked. Pair that with the Jakobs manufacturer perk of every critical shot ricochets to another enemy, and you’ll have high powered bullets bouncing everywhere.” – Daquan Sease, QA Tester

It'll be interesting to see and hear how FL4K's gender is represented in the actual game. So often, it seems people (both developers and consumers) make a big deal out of "did you know" type details that aren't even found in the game itself.

Did you know Solider 76 is gay? Did you know Bloodhound is non-binary? Did you know Profit from Black Ops 3 is a homosexual? No. I didn't know, and I didn't care, and none of this is even found in these games. And if Borderlands 3 handles player characters like Borderlands 1 and 2, FL4K's pro-noun might as well be "vault hunter" anyway.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
yeah. They were awesome. Led to lots of laughs for me.

Had to google "loot midgets". Awesome, they remind me of the loot dwarves in Golden Axe :D

best-gnomes.png

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Does this count for console release as well? I've never experienced a game I've pre-ordered not be ready the second 12:00 am EST hits.

I am not buying ANY game ever that has this exclusive deal. I have Metro Exodus sitting here on my Gamepass but I will not playing it at all. I just do not support shity developers and publishers

I just played through the whole game on gamepass. You're not missing a lot. Pretty generic cinematic-driven fps with a cast of characters that I couldn't give a shit about that wouldn't shut the fuck up. I've never walked away from in-game conversations so fast in my life. It looked pretty good at max settings on PC but that was about it.

srsly give it some time they made a roadmap they are working towards it. Just annoyed by people screaming murder like steam is holy and shit. dear lord i hated steam when it launched.

Epic's roadmap is a joke. They've already missed their own deadlines for having features implemented multiple times.

This is 3 months ago, and no improvements have been made since then. Most of their original roadmap indicated they would even have Achievements by now, but they still haven't gotten even basic community features working.

Many of the items listed as near and mid-term were listed as near and mid term back in January. Items like achievements and a simple shopping cart will likely be "Long term" into 2020. Features cost money to implement and maintain, and with the money going straight into the pockets of the studio heads to gain exclusives, there isn't much chance they will bother making EGS an actual competitor for Steam as implementing all the features Steam has will make their 12% cut completely impossible to sustain.

Roadmap in December

Roadmap Now

Steam was rough in it's on-set, that's true. In fact I still don't like Steam and circumvent it and other launchers as much as possible. You have to keep in mind though, Valve didn't have a competitor on the market with all this shit worked out before them, they broke a lot of new ground. Epic is not inventing the wheel here, they just have to copy Valve's homework and make it look different. Somehow despite having money to buy up exclusive rights to huge games, they can't afford some guy sitting at a desk to make a shopping cart for their store.

Dontero

Banned
And even they had preloading for Half-Life 2.

No they didn't. In fact Steam was complete garbage when HL2 released. Shitload of people back then couldn't even play their games because Steam was piece of shit garbage that didn't work most of the time.
It took them like 10+ years to finally have some kind of stability.

Either way fuck Velve. They removed ability to not update games and i have to now crack my games to play with mods. You know who doesn't have that problem ? Epic because you can uncheck automatic updates for their games. So that feature alone is worth 1000 other steam features.

Celcius

°Temp. member
They should spent less money on making games exclusive to their store and more money implementing features for their store so that people actually want to use it.

Helios

No they didn't. In fact Steam was complete garbage when HL2 released. Shitload of people back then couldn't even play their games because Steam was piece of shit garbage that didn't work most of the time.
No, it didn't. It didn't take them 10+ years. If you want to have any sort of argument you might want to tone down the exaggeration as it does you no good when you're already sniffing on Tim's farts.
The point is that Valve had that feature in 2004 (I said HL2 but I'm pretty sure even Condition Zero had preloading). And 15 years later and with fuck you money, Epic prefers to spend it on bribing publishers rather than offering basic features.

PhoenixTank

I distinctly remember a form of preload being available. Likely nowhere near as streamlined as it is now, but it was there.

You are absolutely right that there were teething issues (hell one is mentioned in that very article above), thankfully software architecture & development and has moved past 2004 for a lot of, but not all, companies.
They have had fun scaling issues for the storefront, especially when the sales started. Breaking new ground in features and popularity is a double edged sword.

10+ years seems to be a fabrication, like your notion of there being no preload.

sol_bad

Either way fuck Velve. They removed ability to not update games and i have to now crack my games to play with mods. You know who doesn't have that problem ? Epic because you can uncheck automatic updates for their games. So that feature alone is worth 1000 other steam features.

Yeah, please don't try and re-write history, pre-loading was there, even if it was in a much more archaic form and even if it didn't work flawlessly. The fact is that it was there at launch over 14 years ago.

You can also, in a way, stop automatic downloads on Steam. Here, I googled it for you. Obviously if you leave your PC on over night that causes problems.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Yeah, please don't try and re-write history, pre-loading was there, even if it was in a much more archaic form and even if it didn't work flawlessly. The fact is that it was there at launch over 14 years ago.

Maybe you should rewrite history. I was there at Half Life 2 premiere and i for sure don't remember such feature. Moreover it was piece of shit that mostly didn't work.

edit: I stand corrected. Still it was piece of shit even with preloading. And frankly still is due to below.

You can also, in a way, stop automatic downloads on Steam. Here, I googled it for you. Obviously if you leave your PC on over night that causes problems.

That doesn't fix it. Either you have to update now or later or remove at all updates for all games. That in not a way to disable update for specific games.

Trust me, i already checked everything. Playing on steam with mods is like shooting yourself in foot now. You don't know the day when developers will release update that will brake your mods/saves with hours upon hours of gametime in drain. Only way to fix it is to crack games.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Maybe you should rewrite history. I was there at Half Life 2 premiere and i for sure don't remember such feature. Moreover it was piece of shit that mostly didn't work.

That doesn't fix it. Either you have to update now or later or remove at all updates for all games. That in not a way to disable update for specific games.

Trust me, i already checked everything. Playing on steam with mods is like shooting yourself in foot now. You don't know the day when developers will release update that will brake your mods/saves with hours upon hours of gametime in drain. Only way to fix it is to crack games.

Look at forums and news articles from 2004, you'll see that your history is fabricated.

Also, do you leave your PC on over night and every night?

Dontero

Banned
Also, do you leave your PC on over night and every night?

What this have to do with having no ability to not download updates for games ?
I repeat, there is no ability to stop steam from updating games.

Either you will have to update it now.
Or you will have to update it later.

There is no ability to switch off update or ignore update. Only games running without steam can run without updating via steam.

For example Fallout 4 updates like every week. If you do not crack game every week you will have broken mods period because exe gets new version and F4SE gets outdated and doesn't run anymore. You can't mod Fallout 4 in peace with original copy thanks to steam.

Snake_Plissken

Neo Member
Whaa? But you can clearly see one in the first 40 secs of this clip from June 9th:

Did they get nixed between then and now?

I think the midgets are still in the game, they just changed their designation. I saw this in an article:

"A hands-off demo revealed that Midget – a term which was used to denominate a diminutive subclass of multiple enemy types in previous games in the series – is no longer in use. Instead, smaller versions of enemies are referred to as ‘Tinks’."

Link: https://www.pcgamesn.com/borderlands-3/borderlands-3-midget

Last edited:

sol_bad

What this have to do with having no ability to not download updates for games ?
I repeat, there is no ability to stop steam from updating games.

Either you will have to update it now.
Or you will have to update it later.

There is no ability to switch off update or ignore update. Only games running without steam can run without updating via steam.

For example Fallout 4 updates like every week. If you do not crack game every week you will have broken mods period because exe gets new version and F4SE gets outdated and doesn't run anymore. You can't mod Fallout 4 in peace with original copy thanks to steam.

The point is, if you do turn your PC off at night time, just schedule the updates for a time when your pc is off. If you play a single player game, turn your internet off before launching the game.
Yes, it's a pain but it's a work around.

Epic Game store downloads games slower than PSN during the PS3 era. How the fuck you do that Epic? Is it Epic that I have to wait for an EPIC amount of time? Is that what they mean by EPIC? EPICLY slow download speeds?

Dontero

Banned
The point is, if you do turn your PC off at night time, just schedule the updates for a time when your pc is off. If you play a single player game, turn your internet off before launching the game.
Yes, it's a pain but it's a work around.

Everytime you run game steam checks if game has an update first. If it has an update then it switches lock and disallows you playing that game unless you update game. Once that "lock" is in you must update game.
Your method doesn't fix anything.

Only way to fix this is to crack your legit game and store it in different folder. Naturally you won't be using Steam and its "glorious features" doing that.

LaunchCode

Neophyte
Oh yay, even less of a reason to buy a game I really want.

It's really sad to see a developer fall apart like this.

Maybe if they didn’t spend all their money on exclusive rights, they could afford getting these features running. If Epic didn’t have a chokehold on new releases, nobody would be using their client because they lack these features. It’s unacceptable.

And agreed. They're blindly throwing money at problems without actually making solutions.

GreatnessRD

Fucking insane. Beyond fucking insane. Is this real life?
Imagine living in a world where you can get banned from a forum for calling a robot a he ..................................................
It you would have told me this in 2005 while I was in high school, I would have called you a meatball. Just can't believe this is the world today.

Snowflake central

WAY BEYOND fucking insane!

KonradLaw

It's unlikely Epic will ever again be able to secure exclusive of BL3 caliber and they couldn't be bothered to uprade their client? :D

People trying to make this out as people defending Steam need to realize that in a universe without Steam EGS would still be a steaming pile of shit.

Epic might have a roadmap but they appear to have lost the keys to their car.
I'm aure the ford pinto of storefronts can jerry rig something together.

Kadayi

Banned
Gotta love Dontero Dontero trying to gaslight the entire forum over the Half life 2 launch in some desperate attempt to make EGS look like a credible Digital platform. Also wtf with the whine about Steam breaking fallout mods. You can absolutely turn off updating on a per game basis under properties.

Sky87

Gotta love Dontero Dontero trying to gaslight the entire forum over the Half life 2 launch in some desperate attempt to make EGS look like a credible Digital platform. Also wtf with the whine about Steam breaking fallout mods. You can absolutely turn off updating on a per game basis under properties.
This was changed long ago. Now you can choose to not have Steam update games until you launch them, but you can't launch an out of date version anymore. Correct me if there are ways around this though.

Dontero

Banned

No you can't. You have either choice of updating game now or later. Once Steam checks that there is new version of game then it won't allow you to play non-updated game even if you go offline. ERGO you have to crack your own fucking games to mod them or risk losing 100s of hours of gameplay because developer decided to add some bullshit patch. There was an option to turn off patching for certain games but it was removed few years ago. Since that time Steam store is the worst place you can buy games if you want to mod games.

Fallout4 is great example of that. Each patch requires new F4SE which means each patch breaks mods. And Bethesda uses patching to update their own mod store page so you have patches almost every week or two breaking your mods.

Now you can choose to not have Steam update games until you launch them, but you can't launch an out of date version anymore. Correct me if there are ways around this though.

It makes no different if you have option to update game now or later. In the end your game is fucked if you use mods.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

No you can't. You have either choice of updating game now or later. Once Steam checks that there is new version of game then it won't allow you to play non-updated game even if you go offline. ERGO you have to crack your own fucking games to mod them or risk losing 100s of hours of gameplay because developer decided to add some bullshit patch. There was an option to turn off patching for certain games but it was removed few years ago. Since that time Steam store is the worst place you can buy games if you want to mod games.

Fallout4 is great example of that. Each patch requires new F4SE which means each patch breaks mods. And Bethesda uses patching to update their own mod store page so you have patches almost every week or two breaking your mods.

It makes no different if you have option to update game now or later. In the end your game is fucked if you use mods.

I'm not sure I follow on the Fallout 4 front. Recently ran through it again, modded to high hell. Installed Vortex from Nexus mods, it auto installed all my old mods I had subbed to from Steam, I queued up a bunch of new ones, it installed them for me, I click "run" and bam. No hassle. Playthrough ran about 4 weeks and not once did any update break things. You're right about the forced patching, but I haven't had a rough time with mods in forever. Granted, I only run mods on FO4, Skyrim: SE and MHW. I don't use the Bethesda store at all.

Top Bottom