• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Both the regular and XL New 3DS were submitted to the FCC, HUELEN got really excited

Didn't think they would do this. Props to them for listening if true.
They submitted the applications in September 2014 before any New 3DS system was announced in North America. In other words for whatever reason this split release was part of the plan.

tsumineko

Could it be some bad photographs? By making the hue -32 on a SFC controller image I made this:
newsnesusa_zpscejj3ubu.jpg

The green is a bit off but you get the picture.

Wow, good job, I think you're right.

Chaos17

They submitted the applications in September 2014 before any New 3DS system was announced in North America. In other words for whatever reason this split release was part of the plan.

Maybe they wanted to taste the water and see if people would want to normal version ?

Zeeman

It's possible that they were planning to release the regular N3DS at the time and changed their mind. I don't think we can say this is definitive that the N3DS is coming here.

HUELEN10

Definitely curious as to why though; I am partially surprised that the port strikes had nothing to do with this for a change.

L~A

Guess we're looking at a Holiday release, then. I mean, if they sent the docs at the same time as the N3DSXL's, they're probably not in a hurry to release a new model (especially so soon after saying it wasn't coming).

Still really don't understand why anyone would want a smaller screen, but guess it's good to have a choice.
Pixel density, form factor. Is it really that hard to understand? Face plates and lower price are nice too, but it's the practical stuff that makes the regular model more appealing than the XL for some people (like me).

Why release it now and why lie about it earlier if the applications are from Sept. 14? There will presumably be less people buying it than they initially suspected because some, after hearing the regular size wouldn't be released, may have already settled for the XL.

HUELEN10

That's dandy! What would be the price, $139.99? And faceplates for $10-15?

Faceplates, who said anything about faceplates? I may have missed it, but manual only covers rear panel replacements; it makes no mention of faceplates. Either I missed it, top she'll is not removable in this variant, or we'll have to import.

Faceplates, who said anything about faceplates? I may have missed it, but manual only covers rear panel replacements; it makes no mention of faceplates. Either I missed it, top she'll is not removable in this variant, or we'll have to import.

Why would anyone want a regular New 3DS without faceplates? That was the number one reason I got mine. The Monster Hunter one it's sporting right now is glorious <3

Why release it now and why lie about it earlier if the applications are from Sept. 14? There will presumably be less people buying it than they initially suspected because some, after hearing the regular size wouldn't be released, may have already settled for the XL.
Probably to clear old stock, although it's not like you see tons of original 3DS units floating around at retail.

I don't see why they'd remove a feature from the handheld, but I also don't see why Nintendo does a lot of stuff. Even if they only release a handful of faceplates here, I'll gladly import them.

jaina

Maybe they'll release it in the US but for shelf space / low marketability reasons without faceplates. There are worse things than importing region-free faceplates though.

Madao

too bad for them. i already gave my money to NCL. the next portable i'm buying is the next gen one at this point.

HUELEN10

Probably to clear old stock, although it's not like you see tons of original 3DS units floating around at retail.

That and women and children; at a lot of local Nintendo events I go to with NOA reps, there are always a large group of women and children voicing that they want a system that is comfortable to hold due to hand size and the way that some are affected by it. Nintendo would be foolish to ignore this market.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Too little, too late, NOA. You lost a sale from me.
Same here. I broke down and got a Circle Pad Pro and then figured a little performance boost wasn't enough for the cost and lack of worthwhile exclusive games on it, considering how much more comfortable it was with the CPP.

Ondore

Here's the thing: The FCC gets asked to approve a whole bunch of things that never release in the US. Like, 30-50 cellphones a week.

This really doesn't mean anything.

But I'm jumping out now before someone cuts the brakes on this hype train.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, it seems weird but in that Instruction Manual scan, there are no chapter about How To Change Faceplates...

My theory of LE's selling much better in the US seem more likely now if they actually removed the removable faceplates for the US release :lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If they were bringing it over why wouldn't they do faceplates? They don't realize theres a market for cheap plastic shit that people want to buy for no really good reason?

rjc571

Banned
All the customers shopping for a New 3DS XL at Best Buy just got confused and walked out of the store. Thanks Nintendo!

HUELEN10

If they were bringing it over why wouldn't they do faceplates? They don't realize theres a market for cheap plastic shit that people want to buy for no really good reason?
I've talked to multiple NOA reps and they all say the exact same thing. The USA retail market and space dominance does not lend itself well to promoting a feature such as faceplates to the mass market.
Here's the thing: The FCC gets asked to approve a whole bunch of things that never release in the US. Like, 30-50 cellphones a week.

This really doesn't mean anything.

But I'm jumping out now before someone cuts the brakes on this hype train.
Completely understandable, but ask yourself this.

When the XL (original, not new) was submitted, wasn't it the XL and not the LL? If that's so, why bother with the button color change?

Mitch

Banned
Regardless of their intentions, I am still waiting patiently. My OG 3DS remains on my computer desk, getting some love every now and then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I've talked to multiple NOA reps and they all say the exact same thing. The USA retail market and space dominance does not lend itself well to promoting a feature such as faceplates to the mass market.

I mean even if thats the case they can just sell them online. Still not getting why they would go out of their way to make faceplates not a thing but its NOA so shrug.

Ugh, you excitable people!

This is meaningless.

Nintendo submitted both devices to the FCC back in September.

The regular New 3DS on 9/24/14 and the New 3DS XL on 9/25/14.

All that's happened here is the photos they submitted to the FCC have run out of their confidentiality period. Both of them were submitted with some aspects of the submission being confidential until 3/23/15. I think this is standard practice, they took the maximum allowable length of time for the photos to become public.

Two devices were submitted to the FCC at the same time, with photos of the device being confidential until the same later date. One device has released and the other has not. You can draw your own conclusions from there.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

This is meaningless.

All that's happened here is the photos they submitted to the FCC have run out of their confidentiality period. Both of them were submitted with some aspects of the submission being confidential until 3/23/15. I think this is standard practice, they took the maximum allowable length of time for the photos to become public.

Two devices were submitted to the FCC at the same time, with photos of the device being confidential until the same later date. One device has released and the other has not. You can draw your own conclusions from there.

what a buzzkill. parties over, guess ill never be picking up a 3ds again

HUELEN10

This is meaningless.

Conclusion?

1. Both systems were submitted.
2. They, for some reason, bothered to change the buttons to Amiibo colors.
3. N3DS Game USA packaging (aka Xenoblade) clearly says "Only For New Nintendo 3DS", it does not say "Only For New Nintendo 3DS XL".

Conclusion?

1. Both systems were submitted.
2. They, for some reason, bothered to change the buttons to Amiibo colors.
3. N3DS Game USA packaging (aka Xenoblade) clearly says "Only For New Nintendo 3DS", it does not say "Only For New Nintendo 3DS XL".

They bothered to change the buttons to Amiibo colors back in September when the photos were submitted. Since then they've gone on to say that they have no plans to release the N3DS in the US. The FCC gets all kinds of device applications with all kinds of wonky in development color schemes. The photo is just a baseline for what the device might look like.

Nintendo had to get the regular N3DS evaluated just in case they ever decided to release it here. A submission to the FCC does not indicate release intent.

What, you think this was their strategy all along? Release the XL, hem and haw and say they weren't going to release the regular size one, and then do it anyway? All because both devices were submitted to the FCC, you think that guarantees release?

TheJoRu

As mentioned, looks like a bad photo.

Here it is with a slight hue change:

cMDLfGA.jpg

I doubt there's been a button color change.

HUELEN10

What, you think this was their strategy all along? Release the XL, hem and haw and say they weren't going to release the regular size one, and then do it anyway? All because both devices were submitted to the FCC, you think that guarantees release?

I am not saying anything guarantees anything; what I am saying is the 3 points I made, and the fact that Nintendo sometimes does odd shit like say one thing and do the opposite. It would not surprise me if they released it this year after E3 like at all, NOA can be odd...

That, and perhaps because the XL outsells the smaller version of systems in the Americas they focused on that BECAUSE of the port strike. Any things possible at this point, including the possibility I just pointed out.

I am not saying anything guarantees anything; what I am saying is the 3 points I made, and the fact that Nintendo sometimes does odd shit like say one thing and do the opposite. It would not surprise me if they released it this year after E3 like at all, NOA can be odd...

That, and perhaps because the XL outsells the smaller version of systems in the Americas they focused on that BECAUSE of the port strike. Any things possible at this point, including the possibility I just pointed out.

Sure, but you're basing all of this on photos that have come to light because Nintendo submitted them to do so back in September. This thread is built on a basis of "look, this thing just showed up and it means the N3DS is coming out!" but this isn't new.

Heck, I saw this coming at the start of this month when someone first went looking for FCC listings. "Great, the photos are going to come out on 3/23 and somebody's going to interpret that as an announcement."

Top Bottom