• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BotW (& Switch) makes me REALLY excited for Xenoblade 2

I have no doubt that Xenoblade 2 will be a great game. But it won't be a great game in the Way that BoTW is and probably won't be as good overall. The Trailer was awe-inspiring in the way Monolithsoft's environments and worlds tend to be since their inception. But I do think there's going to be some clunky systems in there. QuixoticNeutral covered my concerns, though I don't hold as high a standard for narrative, so I'm less concerned in that sense. I think Takahashi can still deliver something satisfying in that regard.

Ventara

I agree with you, OP. Though I've been playing BotW on my WiiU, I'll be picking up a Switch (and BotW Switch) once XC2 drops.

Roo

Xenoblade-Chronicles-2-teaser-image-112.png

zenoblade_chronicles_2_nintendo_switch-9.jpg

zenoblade_chronicles_2_nintendo_switch-6.jpg

K9bam_s-200x150.gif

Still far better than the character design you see in X

I'm extremely excited for Xenoblade 2.
Not agreeing on the characters faces on Xenoblade games has become a series norm among the it fans by now.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Still far better than the character design you see in X
Seriously. Someone post up some screenshots of Xenoblade X characters. I'm not a big fan of the anime art style, but it at least its an improvement over the weird ass looking characters in XBX.

I'd like it if they went more in the direction of Shulk in Smash Bros, that art style , just high def. XB2 kinda looks like Valkyrie Chronicles.

Xenoblade didn't even have a good level of environmental interactivity compared to JRPGs in general, every interior area being a rehash of the mine level didn't help

It's cool that Nintendo owns Monolith and they do pretty well at keeping a balance between making a huge world and having it well-designed so it doesn't feel too monotonous/repetitive, but Monolith fans are seriously overrating their talent/credit into helping with BOTW

Xenoblade 2 is looking like an inoffensive sequel to fans of the first, expecting good environmental interactivity when the first one had almost none is seriously reaching it, especially when it's expecting to come out only two years after XCX

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
XBC is my #1 JRPG, and XBX is #2. But honestly, I'm not feeling super duper hyped for XB2. I'm not sure what it is, maybe its the art style, maybe its just the lack of information we have on the game.

Maybe it's that I don't want to buy a Switch, yet. It would BLOW MY MIND if this game actually released in 2017. I'm hoping it gets pushed back to 2018 so it won't have to go up against Mario, and it can have some more time to polish. Maybe we'lll see a lot of it during E3. But right now... it just isn't real. I need to see the game running the combat system to truly believe that it's happening and its going to be great. Also, the story trailer didn't seem all that interesting.

You can debate that the execution of the story in XBX was not good, but that initial story premise got me hyped. It was a simple hook: "You crash landed on an alien planet, survive." And the first couple hours of XBX were great. There was so much mystery and suspense about how you got there, what the planet was about, and how you were going to solve the "ticking countdown of doom" problem. The story went completely silent for the next 100 hours of gameplay and picked up again in the last 30 minutes of the entire game, but the initial scenario was really good!

I'm glad this is coming to Switch, but I need another top tier game to get me hyped for buying a Switch. A Phoenix Wright announcement or Advance Wars, Persona 5 port, SOMETHING. Mario Oddssey looks freaking weird and not my cup of tea, but maybe I'll come around on it. Splatoon 2 looks great, but as much as I loved the multiplayer I want a FULL single player experience this time.

Maybe 2018 will be my year for Switch.

bomblord1

Banned
Despite each game having drastically different character designs seems like people always find an issue with it and every thread about the game devolves into trashing it.

I really like the character designs shown so far in X2 and they are way better than X (which I also found relatively innofensive).

I loved Xenobaldes open world and I feel we will have a game that does it even better with the story to actually back it up. Let's just hope rad ass mechs are in.

I don't care about the character design. I want to hear the music and see the world. I want to see the gameplay. Its what makes Xenoblade so good for me and this game is definitely following Xenoblade Chronicles footprints (which I liked more than X)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I don't care about the character design. I want to hear the music and see the world. I want to see the gameplay. Its what makes Xenoblade so good for me and this game is definitely following Xenoblade Chronicles footprints (which I liked more than X)

True that. I haven't seen enough from those ends to get excited about the game yet.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I see some people are downplaying Monolith's contributions to BotW again because they weren't involved on the programming side. I seriously doubt the OP thinks they should copy its implementations just because they were involved with the game's design. Simply if they could be inspired by it since they were involved with that world's design. I do wonder if there doesn't need to be a connection really, we've already had a lot of speculation about Xenoblade 2 from the reveal trailer. I also wonder if that thing on Rex's arm, again that people have speculated about in the past, will act as a hookshot style device. It would be a bit funny to see that type of interactivity in XB2 after some people missed it in BotW.

Daknight

The physics from botw probably won't be use for xenoblade 2 as it might nit be need...but I do hope the take cue of weather and location climate. Say there are rains in xenoblade 2 that affect your character (makes him sluggish) have poison rain. Deserts affecting in walk and makes you dizzy if not prepare, etc, etc.

Astral Dog

I'm mildly concerned about it from a technical standpoint. The Switch seems like it will struggle with large open games. Otherwise I think it will be great.
But the Wii and Wii U managed Xenoblade mostly fine...

I don't think its fair to compare because BotW had entirely different design goals than a Xenoblade (its much more complex)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
i dont expect it to be overly ow as well; as long as it's as good as XBC I don't really care, either

1) Breath of the Wild is awesome, and if Monolith Soft takes what they learned from that game and apply it to a more linear adventure, that would be the recipe for an amazing experience. I really liked XbX, but BotW's world (specifically its villages, the level of interactivity, and the reward for exploration) kinda puts it to shame.

I don't expect an RPG like XBC or XBX to incorporate similar sandbox elements, but I do hope they can give options to make traversal as fun as it was in XBX and Zelda.

Zedark

Some people don't hide at all that they are only here to shitpost, do they?

OT: The fact that Monolith helped development BOTW's open world makes me more hopeful that this game will have a good one as well (not expecting it to be as good, though). Haven't played any XB game, but this one looks fun and I happen to own the system it's on, so I am looking forward to it!

random25

It's sad that just about every Xenoblade discussion boils down to faces. Like it's been discussed to death already.

On topic, what makes most excited about Xenoblade 2 is the fact that the Switch is portable. With my current lifestyle, I don't think I can play a long RPG without a good amount of vacation time in front of a TV.

Teran

I really enjoyed XBC, wasn't able to pick up X sadly. The battle system was pretty fun, that was probably the most appealing aspect of XBC to me combined with the music.

Some Nobody

EDIT: I personally hope we get a Xenoblade X Switch port sometime down the line, because uh, portable, and not totally because I didn't get the chance to play it to completion before selling my WiiU due to changing circumstances in my life at the time it came out.

This, exactly.

Plus the Switch having both XBX, XB2, and potentially XCX2 down the line would make it one of the greatest systems of all time lol.

NeonBlack

If they let me take that hideous bulge off his back then I'll have no complaints. Otherwise everything else we've seen is good.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The model's (for the hardware) were fine. I wasn't a fan of the character design, though. Each character's design was either too busy or too plain with nothing striking or memorable aside from one or two examples. X kinda had the opposite problem in which there was good character designs but awful 3D modeling.

Those models for the wii were certainly not fine, we talking about the wii here, wii had some good ass looking games that can look HD at times and certainly translated extremely well to HD when actually in it.

I was fine with the models, but they were one of the worse ever seen on the system that wasent a shovelware game.
Granted that is due to possibly hardware limitations, but that doesnt make the models good.

watershed

Banned
To be honest, the performance of BOTW on the Switch (mostly good but with some areas of serious framerate drops) makes me worried for how X2's more graphically intense world will perform on the Switch. I don't want a beautiful open world with a consistently stuttering framerate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The one thing they need to learn from BotW is that collectables on the world map are visible to what they are rather than glowy orbs that can turn out to be anything.

To be honest, the performance of BOTW on the Switch (mostly good but with some areas of serious framerate drops) makes me worried for how X2's more graphically intense world will perform on the Switch. I don't want a beautiful open world with a consistently stuttering framerate.

That's because of the physics (and chemistry) engine. I doubt Xenoblade will need to worry about that.

takriel

Problem is, unlike zelda, they're going to attempt a proper story, and freedom and the world are going to suffer for that story, and the story is going to suck anyway.
Yeah please don't delve into anime waifu territory. That would be terrible.

random25

Being a purely JRPG, Xenoblade 2 will most likely have less interaction to environmental elements and physics calculations. That itself will at least guarantee a much better performance in terms of frame rate. XCX never had those despite being an open-world game on a less powerful hardware (Wii U), so I trust that it will be the same on the Switch for XC2.

Jackano

You shouldn't OP - At least I'm not because Xenoblade 2 will not be anything like XCX ot BotW. Mure moch traditionnal JRPG like Xenoblade 1.

At least they made it clear story driven will be more important than free roaming this time.

Datschge

Monolith had half of the staff credited on game design in BotW, among them absolute veterans like Makoto Shimamoto who goes back to Chrono Trigger. Programming appears to be exclusively Nintendo though from what I can see. Haven't checked any of the other sections.

Switch makes me excited about all Nintendo games really. The bad wiiu taste is finally gone. Bring on Mario Kart, Mario, Metroid and everything else!

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm with you. I am thinking Switch will be the console I love most. I mean, I have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One and a Titan X, but the Switch is just so versatile and convenient. Love taking the game to bed, and playing split controller style on my back, with the Switch on my chest.

Top Bottom