• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a PS5 for Demon's Souls but can't stop playing Days Gone

Kerotan

At what point was Days Gone supposed to get good. I was loving it after about 2 hours right until the end 46 hours later so have no idea.

So yeah what was the supposed turning point?

Kerotan

But I thought BC was useless and nobody played old games ?
This isn't an old game. I have zero urge to play ps3/ps2/ps1 games. Ps4 games that still hold up? Hell yeah. Days Gone on ps5 is one of the most technically impressive games on the market.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Tried to get into it 2 times but didn’t click. The 3rd time tho. I couldn’t stop playing.
I can only agree that this game is indeed great. Story was okay but the characters were very well done.
Liked it more then most open-world games I played last-gen.
Don’t understand all the negativity around the game. Happy to see that people do enjoy it as much as I did.

Looking forward to the next game. Cliffhanger was promising

Umbral

At what point was Days Gone supposed to get good. I was loving it after about 2 hours right until the end 46 hours later so have no idea.

So yeah what was the supposed turning point?
It was fine for me until you leave Boozer at the tower, then it got even better. I always assume that’s what people are referring to.

Solidsnake32292

Neo Member
Isn’t Days Gone a silent spin off of Syphon Filter? Or somehow related in the same universe? I feel like I’ve definitely seen something where this was true.

can anyone shed some light on this or am I crazy?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am NEVER going to care about reviews ever again in my life, it's a promise.

There's not really much to say, i can't recall the last time i was this hooked to a game.. i thought it was a matter of age at this point but fuck me i'm still a child apparently because this is making me feel the urge to play more like it only happened years and years ago. The last time i felt truly addicted to a game was probably with Oblivion, previously San Andreas and even previously Pokémon Yellow. I wake up wanting to play more, think about the game when i'm not home, hell, even writing this right now feels like i'm wasting time.
What a game.. you can so easily tell the team put their hearts and souls into this. Six fucking regions of extremely carefully designed areas down to most intimate details, sublime controls for both Deacon and bike (the Metacritic score difference between RDR2 and Witcher 3 and Days Gone is so laughable it should be a meme), every single moment of traversal can be super tense, meaningful skill three, meaningful upgrades, meaningful weapons unlocks, meaningful map and camp clearing, and unlike those games there's something completely unique here, such as hordes.. There's no game like this.

I ain't got much time so here a summary.

The Good:
• Game controls amazing and look as good as a ND game in terms of animations. Feels much better than TLOU2.
• The bike feels super good to handle, heavy and realistic but incredibly fun especially fully upgraded, almost like a Motorstorm successor. So good even going downhill in neutral to spare gas feels amazing.
• Gameplay is constantly engaging for a reason or another. Can turn from 0 to 100 in matter of seconds, anytime.
• Hordes are pure adrenaline rush. Always.
• There's a shit ton of traps and bombs or special ammo that you can craft so the planning potential is literally infinite, a true sandbox of opportunities.
• Locations, locations, locations. Oregon is a such a stunning place and every inch of this world is crafted with love and care.
• The story is actually interesting and features some really well written characters (and i could't give a single shit about bikers and such).
• You can actually “mark your territory” in this world, the game remember which car you opened and things you looted so you always know which area you've explored already (the game is designed well enough that each location feels unique, but it's still super welcome and something i'd want in every open world).
• The campaign is so long it feels like two games packed into one, like a multi season TV series. The game is immense.
• The game itself, in terms of characters, story and influences feels like something out of the 90's, completely detached from what the industry and media in general is now and i can't express how much i loved that.
• The secret ending got me good and i really liked the unique take on "zombies".
• Missions are varied enough and fit well into the lore.
• You can grab or craft a melee weapon and still chose to use your pocket knife whenever you want (you heard that ND?!)
• Best open world graphics i’ve ever seen. Dynamic PCSS on consoles.. why on Earth there’s no mention of this on the Internet is blowing my mind. Naughty Dogs struggling with simple static shadows in daytime and this game is flexing with flawless dynamic PCSS in an open world and still features the little touches seen in ND games like the character proximity occlusion and even a simplified version of the dynamic GI from the torch, game is a pleasure to the eyes, UE fully redeemed.
• A real and proper weather system which also affect gameplay in various forms, and only game i've ever seen with dynamic snowfalls which transform the environment in real time.
• Challenges are hard as hell but super, super fun. And rewards are applied to the main game (and even seen on Deacon jacket) and that's simply awesome.

The Bad:
• Gunplay is only serviceable. Spraying hordes with machine guns feels amazing but forget about precision without using focus. Well not really as i have a Gold patch for the headshot challenge without focus, but it’s not a strenght and takes too much time to be reliable.
• Golf buggy in that one challenge doesn't control nearly as good as the bike.
• I predicted a story beat.
• Fuck wolves. Seriously, fuck them. When they silently follow your bike just to suddenly attack from behind as soon as you get off.. i love my heart going crazy during hordes but fuck those heart attacks out of nowhere.

The Ugly:
• Transitions from cutscene to gameplay look dated.
• Lack of AI options. Don't get me wrong, encounters are fun and all enemies try flanking maneuvers (even hordes), and probably i wouldn't want to play agaist smarter enemies, but customized options like TLOU2 would be more than welcome at least for human enemies.
• I hate the lack of HUD options. I've only learned about dynamic HUD in Survival mode during the middle of my Hard playthrough and that bothered the shit out of me.
• The directional audio is completely unrealiable.
• The awful bugs present in game when it shipped and the terribad performances on base PS4. These are things I've only heard about though.

Been playing nonstop since i got my PS5, i am now in the middle of my second playthrough on Survival II and i feel like i'm not going to stop anytime soon. My favourite Sony exclusive possibly ever, by far the most underrated game i've ever played (the two Golden Joystick Awards for Best Storytelling e PlayStation Game of the Year were super deserved at least).
I am sure the entire Copeland character with his love for the Second Amendment (and the 2nd Amendment skin for your bike) and all the truth pills (more like atom bombs) spoken on Radio Free Oregon, or the fact the only lesbian character in this game is actually bisex and lust for our male alpha character and even tries to cheat her girlfriend with him are just some of the things which definitely didn’t triggered lots of reviewers.

I know most of what i posted sounds crazy hyperbole, but never in a million years would i have imagined the game being this good.
Granted i love zombies, love Mad Max, love The Walking Dead, love Alan Wake environments and love TLOU/Uncharted combat (this is mostly TLOU but while shooting is worse than Uncharted 4, but much better than RDR2, it's also part Uncharted because of the fluidity of the flow roll-melee-shooting) and this is a perfect mix of them all.
The fact i haven't given Bend Studio money for this game is giving me pain however so i will buy it full price as soon as i can and i'll even try to find a Collector's Edition separately. Surpassed GoT, W3 and Mad Max as favourite game from the previous gen.
Don't know how much the Dualsense and PS5 performances affected my opinion, but that's it.

And i swear, the game looking like this is just a little bonus.

16UFzQD.jpg

UXwO3uY.jpg

fHtHQAb.jpg

zPMgxWU.jpg

dV3p2pR.jpg

bWcka1E.jpg

LDS79Eu.jpg

XaDkVKn.jpg

uLEG0It.jpg

Was going to post way more captures but i just realized Imgur is compressing the living shit out of 4K pictures making them look like crap, so fuck that for now.

P.S. Bend Studio wrote "From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for playing" at the end of the credits, but if someone from the studio is reading this, thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this unforgettable journey possible and for every effort in making this dream game a reality. :messenger_heart:

Man, this game is one of my best games of all times. And of course better than The Witcher 3, RDR2. The only crime that this game did is having a straight white man, that's it.

Here is a good website I use that gives you full control and keeps the quality as it is without ruining it, I use it and you can create albums to organize:

Free as well. Just sign up to organize your stuff.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
How much do you like Sackboy, and is it long enough?

I bought it primarily to play co-op with my brother (online co-op coming in later update so if you are interested to play with others online better wait) as of a relaxed experience and still early but great so far.

turtlepowa

Banned
Days Gone is one of those gems that I felt bad for not supporting on day one. It's an amazing piece of work that was made out to be something it wasn't. Having it at 60fps is really a blessing, and fully does it's sweet visuals some justice.
You should be glad you didn't buy it day one. I did and i regret it. Performance sucked while on the bike. I had lots of hard frame drops and even freezes for a few seconds. Hordes were really fun, but the rest was meh, especially reputation grind in singleplayer games and the flat characters.

John2290

I had the exact same experience with Days Gone and giving up on MC and OC for a time but it's not universal and it can lead to some serious burns, most recently I bought Watch Dogs Legion against mainstream advice and they were spot on but then again I bought The last of us 2 this summer and it certainly wasn't a 10, more along the lines of a 7 or maybe 6 when all is said and settled. Don't completely drop Open critic but use it more as a gauge to start with and then delve deeper yourself.

Max_Po

Banned
Man, I platinumed Spiderman but never touched the DLC.
So I got Spiderman MM and Remaster, first off all. Import your old game save for a free Platinum.... then TUrn on the 60 FPS mode ... and turn down Film grain. ... It is F U C K I N G amazing. ...

Another PS4 gem at 60 fps, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima...

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I downloaded it as part of the PS collection. Playing it daily and hooked on it. Some nice layers and twists to the story so far. It is a nice looking game on PS5 and feels good to play at 60fps, it's controls well. Good sound and music too. Takes a number of hours to warm up though. Seems like there's enough variety so you can mix it up by choosing your own mission. I like the open world aspect and fast travel works well.

However, the beginning of the story is poor it doesn't explain much so you're kinda like what's going on here and what am l doing. Terrible start to be honest.
There's some WTF moments with the story where some missions have you reaching a destination where a few words are spoken and that's it mission over.
The cut scene loading and transitions from in/out of game are very poor. Seriously out of date and the loading really pisses you off.
There's some missions with forced slow walking really hate that.
You'll come across a person tied up somewhere where you can rescue them but their dialog is really quiet/lacklustre facial animations/delays how was this not QA'd?

Alright. I bought this game when it actually meant a damn. You know when it wasnt basically free. (So I bought it to show support.) This game was correctly rated its a 7. Its a fun game. The story sucks. Characters suck. The best cutscene is literally the last one. Hordes make this game. The game needs speed so, 60fps probably make this a way better game.

But the amount of sucking of this game is nonsense. Its a 70 average game. And rightfully so. Every Sony Studio game deserves a purchase. You can tell they tried.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You'll come across a person tied up somewhere where you can rescue them but their dialog is really quiet/lacklustre facial animations/delays how was this not QA'd?

Those random events have always been kinda buggy. Fortunately as they rarely crap out badly you can just ignore them if that happens as they vanish once you get a certain distance away. The QA aspect is somewhat excusable also as they are so random, chances are after a first playthrough you won't have triggered all the variant types of random world events, let alone every one at every location.

I think I've played the game through 4 maybe 5 times since launch, over which time the game was patched frequently but there was never much consistency as to what stuff would bug out. Nothing game breaking ever though, and the times when a main story mission would act up tended to get less common. Performance did steadily improve too.

Kinda curious to see if running on PS5 helps much, because I did get the feeling that a lot of the weirdness was memory related.

This isn't an old game. I have zero urge to play ps3/ps2/ps1 games. Ps4 games that still hold up? Hell yeah. Days Gone on ps5 is one of the most technically impressive games on the market.

Keep in mind that right now the PS5 isn't exactly flooded with games yet. Backwards compatibility will become less important as this generation progresses.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Okay giving the PS+ collection games a chance and Fallout 4 is still clunky with stupid UI and archaic and awful systems. I am patient in giving games a chance to see the good beyond the bad but man couldn’t even get to Diamond City. Delete.

Sorry for off topic.

Exatcly the same thing here. Im really liking it. ITs not a perfect game, but its good. I sequel, with more things to explore, like more side quests/dungeons skyrim like would be great.

But i actully have a issue with this game. I only saw a a video like 2 or 3 years ago, i was the begginig of the game, and you have the option to choose to kill or not the guy. But when i played it, i didnt got this option, i have already encountred 2 more times that i fell therer should be a choice, but it didnt let me choose, it was really clear, the character even was waiting for a decision.
The last i remember was whit a women, she pointed a gun without ammo, the deacon stoped for like 7 secons, then let her go. i really think that it was supposed to be a choise, but didnt show for me.

They removed it from the game? or is my game buged?

I always go blind for my games, so i didnt saw other videos to check this.

Greggy

I’m taking ghost of Tsushima over this in terms of open world graphics.
Other than that, haven’t played enough of it to judge the game overall.

Critics are generally up to something when it comes to video games but I agree it shouldn’t prevent anyone from trying out the games they find appealing. im still not buying Godfall though.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hey man just wanted to say I love this kind of threads. It's the main reason I endore this forum. Personal experience/interaction ie my thought on this game. And not some hot take bs or cynical oneliner but just someone talking with passion about some game they liked.. kudos : )

Kerotan

Keep in mind that right now the PS5 isn't exactly flooded with games yet. Backwards compatibility will become less important as this generation progresses.
Ps1/ps2/ps3 is already pretty irrelevant but yes even most ps4 games will too after a few years. BC further back then 1 gen is so over hyped.

begotten

I started this game yesterday. It seems okay so far, the game-play and atmosphere are decent. The HUD & GUI however are absolutely shocking.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah I’m having a blast with Days Hone on PS5. Glad I waited to play it though, with all the patches and now 4K/60 with a smaller space footprint.

Don’t know how far I’ll be able to get before Cyberpunk takes over my life though. Hopefully I’ll come back to it afterwards.

AlexxKidd

I almost wish I hadn't played Days Gone at launch so I could experience it for the first time on the PS5. I may do a new game plus run at some point just to experience it again. Same thing with Ghost of Tsushima. I wanna try and wait longer with Ghost though because it's still really fresh in my mind.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yupe, the game is pretty freaking amazing. Taking down a horde is a thrill very few games can replicate. And the game looks downright gorgeous!

I am sure the straight white male gun living tattooed biker character pissed off some reciewers though.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Days Gone was really good. I finished the game twice despite it being quite long (if you're planning to 100% complete it).

MegaBustet

I tried playing this for a bit but it just feels kinda old at this point. I can't help but compare it to Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima (last 2 ps 4 games I played), and this just pales in comparison in terms of animations, voice work ect. I only played like a hour worth but it didn't hook me.

rofif

Banned
Did you hear the lead devs from Sony Bend left?

Days gone alright
I finally played and finished it last Year. Omg the repetitive quests and filler. And the characters spout shit all the time like crazy.
It really is not a good game... It just looks good

Mabdia

Such amazing game. To me it is the second best exclusive game on PS4. The only one better than Days Gone is Ghost of Tsushima. And that is amazing because I used to really hate open world games.

Gonna play it again with my cousin who's gonna stay here for holidays. I'll make the platinum again.

Vick

Gold Member
Man, this game is one of my best games of all times. And of course better than The Witcher 3, RDR2. The only crime that this game did is having a straight white man, that's it.

Here is a good website I use that gives you full control and keeps the quality as it is without ruining it, I use it and you can create albums to organize:

Free as well. Just sign up to organize your stuff.
Thanks man, i truly have an awful amount of screenshots.

Btw i did finally tried the motion sensor aiming, and it's a super cool feature. I still feel more confident with regular controls but that's likely due to the hundreds of hours already spent on it.
The feature seems more like an "adjust" kind of thing anyway, not meant to fully replace analog control.

Zephir

Got a PS5 recently as well (I'm one of the lucky bastards who managed to order one from the day1 restock) and after clearing Astro's Playroom I downloaded Days Gone.
Don't know how it was on PS4, but it's very crisp and smooth on next-gen...don't know about gameplay yet, since I just started it, but it looks promising and fun ('cept the random zombiekids jumpscares from the cars, those are not cool).

jm89

This is easily in my top 5 sony exclsuives this gen.

Can't wait to see what bend do on the PS5, i want to see much more massive hordes chasing me down.

Nymphae

Banned
Isn’t Days Gone a silent spin off of Syphon Filter? Or somehow related in the same universe? I feel like I’ve definitely seen something where this was true.

can anyone shed some light on this or am I crazy?

Yes there was docs or something found within this game that tie it canonically to SF and the bioweapons mentioned in that series.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Enjoying the game on my PS4 Pro especially since it's on PS Now, but my Pro sounds like it's gone into fucking spaceship mode, louder than I think I've ever heard it. I think I'll wait to play it on PS5.

oagboghi2

Yep. I have been absolutely baffled by the critics for several games. This game was by no means the first game sent to an early death by the critics.

I would suggest you go back and replay several other games that were poisoned by the critics.

- Anthem - Great Fucking gameplay. if you liked Mass Effect, you will love the combat here. Especially in the end game when you start making builds. it is NOT a 54 game like metacritic says. I would say its better than Destiny was when it first launched though lack of raid really hurts. Still a good 50-60 hours of great combat to be had.
- Mass Effect Andromeda - Mocked by both critics and bandwagon haters for bad animations, but it's one of the better WRPGs of this gen. Again, fantastic combat and unlike Anthem it actually has a great cast of characters, fantastic loyalty missions and a great fucking ending that rivals Mass Effect 2's suicide mission.
- Metal Gear Survive - Fuck Dunkey and Angry Cunt Joe. People who hate play games and dont really play them for great combat. it's got the great MGS combat but with some really satisfying melee, and an incredible base building system that makes it feel like a completely different game than MGS5. It's survival horror but because of MGSV mechanics, its far better than any survival horror game you would play.
- Detroit - 78 metacritic is laughable for this incredible experience. Easily the best in the genre and some of the best graphics ever.
- the Last Guardian - 82 lol. This is a masterpiece despite some camera issues. It's a GOTY contender not a run of the middle low 80s game. Halo 5 and Gears 4 have a higher metacritic. give me a fucking break.
- Death Stranding - 82 again. What nonsense. Another masterpiece in game design.

These critics are nuts and gamers keep falling for this nonsense.
Anthem, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Survive.

these games were basically broken at launch. They deserved their bad reception. Especially Anthem

Top Bottom