• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought Max Payne 3 for PC! checked it's size and it's 25 GB. What what what?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
25 GB is a lot in 2012? Seriously?

That sucks but if you know that, then dont buy DD games that are 25GB?

To be fair, Skyrim and Crysis become pretty big too once you download their HD pack. Maybe that is what Rockstar should have done.

The only problem would be hosting it, which could be costly.

Derrick01

Banned
It's about 30GB on Steam. Seems a lot for something I finished in 8 hours, 2-3 probably just for watching the endless amounts of cutscenes in the game.

RedSwirl

25GB is indeed enormous, especially for people who still don't have fast internet or people who live under data caps. How is anyone in Australia even able to buy Max Payne 3 on Steam? I live in the US but 25GB is at least a six-hour download for me. Since this was mostly because of the quality of the assets, maybe they should give people a choice between a standard quality and high-quality version.

This is precisely why I bought the retail PC version of RAGE (which is 22GB) and why I'll probably get the retail PC version of MP3 if I ever find it on sale.

scitek

not everyone has Blu drives and Blu discs are more expensive to make. DVD is cheaper and you only need to install once.

Well that goes to my second point, that it can be hard for some people to find PC games at retail.

elektrixx

Banned
25GB was a lot and that was fine, but the real arse was how late the preload went up.

Because of their poor timing I never cared about that game.

25GB is indeed enormous, especially for people who still don't have fast internet or people who live under data caps. How is anyone in Australia even able to buy Max Payne 3 on Steam? I live in the US but 25GB is at least a six-hour download for me. Since this was mostly because of the quality of the assets, maybe they should give people a choice between a standard quality and high-quality version.

This is precisely why I bought the retail PC version of RAGE (which is 22GB) and why I'll probably get the retail PC version of MP3 if I ever find it on sale.
Just keep in mind it's Rockstar Social Club, not Steamworks. (Though even the Steam version is more of a hybrid with much of the back-end being done through RSC).

MDSLKTR

It's 25gb worth of the best eye candy goodness you will see on a pc game in 2012, so take it like a champ.

kswiston

6 hours for a 25GB download is not that big a deal. I think we all forget the days when it took that long to download a 2 hour video at standard def. I would not want to go back to those speeds, but it took me 36 hours to download Empire: Total War in 2009 when I was stuck with a 2mbit connection. I think that game was 14GB. It sucked, but I just started it when I went to sleep and paused it if I wanted to use the internet for something other than browsing.

Also, I can understand avoiding a game if you have a really restrictive bandwidth cap (say 50GB/month) but those of you with 200-300GB caps, what are you doing with all that space? I have had a cap between 100-150GB for the past few years now, I have over 300 games on Steam, and I have never gone over my cap.

me included. thanks Comcast

I'm also in the wagon. 200 GB cap. Thing is I'm pretty much ok and have never hit the cap mostly because I have a travel job and I rarely stream movies on youtube. Most of the time spent is browsing and playing games online. But I understand how it's a limiting factor for so many others. 25 gb is straight up 12.5% of your limit, which is a lot.

charsace

It's about 30GB on Steam. Seems a lot for something I finished in 8 hours, 2-3 probably just for watching the endless amounts of cutscenes in the game.

What does game time have to do with the size of game assets? Game could be 3 hours and still be 25gb.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And this matters to the devs how?

Did you not follow the context of my post at all? Here's the post I replied to:

I dont get the problem [people have with large game downloads] unless you have to download to an SSD.

So it takes a day or so to get it. Then you get a better quality experience with no compression. The world is not ending tomorrow. Play it then.

If the "gimme gimme naow naow" ADD people whine enough to cause a decrease in asset quality, I'll be pissed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just checked it's size on Amazon.com. It's actually 26.52 GB. 50 GB games download future, here we come!

I hope not, i got like a monthly download limit of 50gb. Yes i know its shit when i hear people having a limit of 200gb, but its what i got right now and it doesnt bother me that much since i do not download movies or hundreds of musics and i may download like one game every month or two.

If the future become digital only with 50gb game downloads, that would seriously suck and i'll be forced to pay even more to boost my limit and i have no idea how much more it will cost.

Then buy it at retail.
But you can still buy the boxed version.
I like the smell of master race superiority in here. Why should folks, who at no fault of their own, be forced to walk to brick and mortar store, buy the boxed copy and pay taxes? Why can't they also sit in their air conditioned room (it's 102F outside, by the way), download and whine about the download time like the rest of us?

Eideka

Banned
I like the smell of master race superiority in here. Why should folks, who at no fault of their own, be forced to walk to brick and mortar store, buy the boxed copy and pay taxes? Why can't they also sit in their air conditioned room (it's 102F outside, by the way), download and whine about the download time like the rest of us?

2/10, you can do better than that.

Sarcasm aside, I see no point in complaining about the size of a game when the result is so superb.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Then buy it at retail.

Retail PC games arent as easy to get as a console game. Especially if they're not very popular. Even if they are, they're not always available, I had to buy Arkham City and Skyrim from Steam since i couldnt find them.

Eideka

Banned
Retail PC games arent as easy to get as a console game. Especially if they're not very popular. Even if they are, they're not always available, I had to buy Arkham City and Skyrim from Steam since i couldnt find them.

Sorry then. I didn't realise getting boxed versions of game could be this difficult.

Fortunately Amazon exists. :D

Ceebs

I would have no problem downloading it if that was not 1/6th of my monthly bandwidth.

Something needs to be done about the ISPs in this country.

Valnen

not everyone has Blu drives and Blu discs are more expensive to make. DVD is cheaper and you only need to install once.

Blu-ray drives aren't exactly expensive anymore. Hell you can get a burner for under 100 now. If someone is playing a modern PC game like Max Payne 3 I don't see why they wouldn't have one.

tranciful

Why are you surprised? This was predicted back in 2005-2006 during those stupid debates where people thought DVDs were plenty big haha. It was obvious then and it's obvious now -- games will keep getting bigger and bigger. If you don't want that, beg for low res textures and lower audio quality.

LiK

Blu-ray drives aren't exactly expensive anymore. Hell you can get a burner for under 100 now. If someone is playing a modern PC game like Max Payne 3 I don't see why they wouldn't have one.

that's true but DVD drives are the most common and R* doesn't need to deal with complaints if people find out it's not compatible with their drives.

Prezhulio

After the past past few years of shit compression of cutscenes or low quality textures in PC games distributed digitally, it's refreshing to hear a modern release that goes against the grain. i look forward to playing mp3 on pc down the road and not rolling my eyes everytime a cutscene plays.

i mean for fuck's sake even diablo 3 has some god awful compression in cutscenes so it's not limited to just cheap pc ports.

Valnen

that's true but DVD drives are the most common and R* doesn't need to deal with complaints if people find out it's not compatible with their drives.

Meh, people switched from CD to DVD fine for games. I guess in a few years when games are commonly hitting 40GB (probably after the new consoles come out and all the console ports are that size) we'll finally make the switch.

SparkTR

It's big for a game, but it isn't absurdly high all things considered. Where I live our internet infrastructure is horribly outdated, I can manage 25 gigs fine.

LiK

Meh, people switched from CD to DVD fine for games. I guess in a few years when games are commonly hitting 40GB we'll finally make the switch.

if Blu drives are included with every new PC as a standard, it won't be an issue anymore. Too bad some manufacturers won't commit to keep costs low

Drazgul

if Blu drives are included with every new PC as a standard, it won't be an issue anymore. Too bad some manufacturers won't commit to keep costs low

And what's stopping you from picking your own parts? Cheaper and you won't even necessarily have to do the assembly yourself if you don't want to (tho anyone who's played with legos can do it).

LiK

And what's stopping you from picking your own parts? Cheaper and you won't even necessarily have to do the assembly yourself if you don't want to (tho anyone who's played with legos can do it).

not talking about me. I'm referring to the general public who don't build their own PCs.

Top Bottom