• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound, PS4 Pro details

morpix

From Reddit...
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5aqvw5/bound_ps4_pro_details/

*edit* Only found a reference in the OT, and search came up blank.

Hi,
Michal Staniszewski here, creative director at Plastic. It's time to share some of the details about upcoming patch 1.02 for Bound.

I tried a couple of times to describe how our renderer works, but I believe that finally I found the best explanation ...
On PS4 PRO we are rendering edges of geometry in 4K native with multisampling antialiasing and the inner parts of polygons are upscaled from 1080P. Since our game uses mostly geometry and does not rely on texturing too much, I think we got into sweet spot and now we have nicely looking 4K at 60 Hz.

I believe thou that most of you are waiting for the information about PSVR upgrade. We are rendering twice as many pixels than on regular PS4 in VR and adding extra effects on top of that. This makes our game super sharp, literally hitting the display resolution of PSVR headset.

To not make my words empty, here are couple of images without compression, showing new filters in 4K:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146196492@N05/

Thank you for such good comments on our game!

Bind if old please.

Koobion

Thanks for posting this! The most exciting thing here for me is definitely the massive boost to the game in VR.

tr00per

Thanks for posting. PSVR is the only thing compelling me to get a pro. I wish I could compare the two in person...

Wait, even relatively simple PSVR games haven't been hitting native res? I thought that the impressions from owners talking about the image quality being blurry was just because the panel in the headset is a lower res than existing headsets. If this is the case, I might have to have another think about whether to pick up PSVR alongside my pro.

onQ123

Wait, even relatively simple PSVR games haven't been hitting native res? I thought that the impressions from owners talking about the image quality being blurry was just because the panel in the headset is a lower res than existing headsets. If this is the case, I might have to have another think about whether to pick up PSVR alongside my pro.

The game renders in 4K on PSVR using the PS4 Pro

The game renders in 4K on PSVR using the PS4 Pro
Ok, but what did this line mean?

"This makes our game super sharp, literally hitting the display resolution of PSVR headset"

PSVR doesn't have a 4k resolution as far as I know, and I don't understand why they would make this comment unless until now the game has been running at less than native res

onQ123

Ok, but what did this line mean?

"This makes our game super sharp, literally hitting the display resolution of PSVR headset"

PSVR doesn't have a 4k resolution as far as I know, and I don't understand why they would make this comment unless until now the game has been running at less than native res

If that's the case, why would they say they are "literally hitting the display resolution of psvr," when the display resolution of psvr is literally not 4k?

It's rendered in 4K then super sampled to the PSVR screen resolution.

It's rendered in 4K then super sampled to the PSVR screen resolution.

Assuming this information is all correct, they probably should not have used the word "literally," since it will not be hitting the display resolution, but going beyond it and being supersampled down. It was weird phrasing to say the least.

GodofWine

Smart move on an indie dev, assuming the effort to do this is just using labor hours that were already available, being able to market the game as PS pro ready will bump sales on the new console for sure.

onQ123

Assuming this information is all correct, they probably should not have used the word "literally," since it will not be hitting the display resolution, but going beyond it and being supersampled down. It was weird phrasing to say the least.

Maybe they mean that they literally got a pixel for every subpixel on the PSVR RGB 1080P screen

kyser73

English as second language.

I think what he means is the game will look like native 1080p in the HMD.

Top Bottom