• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office: ‘Joker’ Has Become The Biggest R-Rated Movie Ever

Raziel

Joker earned $2.4 million on Thursday, bringing its 21-day total to $258.675 million. Presuming it doesn’t drop dead today, it’ll pass Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($259 million in 2014), The Amazing Spider-Man ($262 million in 2012) by tonight. The film had $778 million worldwide as of Wednesday, and it has now earned $788.3 million worldwide. That’ll put it right above Deadpool ($782.6 million in 2016) and Deadpool 2 ($785.05 million in 2018). So, yes, Joker is now the biggest R-rated movie of all time, sans inflation.

bpdvo.gif

iconmaster

Banned
I don’t understand how this movie was ever controversial (unless you’re Jared Leto). A total of like five people die on screen, and if you want to complain about movies that “sympathize” with the bad guy there are far more noteworthy examples. Joker is pretty clearly represented as a villain responsible for his acts.

Anyway, the film deserves its success. Gorgeously shot and Phoenix completely inhabits that role.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
congrats! i still need to see this movie. had the chance a few weeks ago. i plan on it eventually...

it is great to see Cancel Culture fall flat on it's face this time. im glad that the showings were safe as well, that is something you can't really count on, and the media hyping up potential violence was gross and fucking irresponsible. they are the true clowns.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Eh..

I have to admit how genius it is, in almost every way. But, it still felt odd to me. I can't quite explain it. I felt the movie was trying to be cute over the role of a psychpath, and was not quite there for me. Very particular feeling that I had, and I don't expect anybody to share it. I just don't want to see the movie again... but carry on.

Last edited:

GV82

Something about the controversy is fishy, I bet it was started by someone who figured it was going to be critically well received & did not like the thought of DC having another hit on their hands, probably one of the easily offended crowd, which of course spread like wildfire now because everyone likes to get offended for the wrong reasons these days. Before we move on I like both Marvel & DC.

The shooting that happened years ago, I truly am sorry for it, though he (the shooter) was dressed up as the joker it happened during the Dark Knight Rises & not the Dark Knight, that movie had nothing to do with the Joker so remember what happened? everyone’s advice was don’t let that asshole win, keep going to the movies, keep going to see these films. Why then did this rule change for this 2019 film? Apart from the Cinema where it happened out of respect I am totally fine with them never showing it.

We have had 2 more movies featuring batman (v Superman & justice league) no fuss was made apart from criticising the movies but that’s irrelevant to this. We were never told to not go to see them (well we were encouraged to not see them because they were said to be rubbish) but there again the joker was not in them, neither was he in Dark Knight Rises where the shooting occurred.

More importantly we had Suicide Squad featuring the Joker & let’s be honest the way Leto acted on set & the things he sent to his costars and his antics overall to get into character, now if they made some sort of fuss about Leto’s Joker, worried that Letos antics offscreen would influence some people, I could’ve understood (I’m Not talking about people disliking Letos joker I’m Referring to the outrage, backlash of the movie existing & trying to tell people to not go to see it because it may cause shootings) I would have understood but it still wouldn’t have stopped me making my own mind up whether I should go to see it or not.

Also we kind of got a Version of the Joker in Gotham too, again nothing happened. I do wonder though if this movie wasn’t not called Joker & had say Batman involved at some point, maybe some other DC character like a version of Harley Quinn would there have been this outrage?

So to take it back on topic about the box office I am glad it is making all this Money it gives me hope, because it says to me that people are breaking away from being mindless controlled Zombies, not allowing the overbearing PC crowd to dictate what we can & can’t watch, the response from the PC crowd is laughable, I have seen these types all over Social Media, like the following example “well it goes to show what a disgusting world we live in right now, because the Joker Movie is being praised”

The Joker is not the first & will not be the last movie that deals with very touchy sensitive subjects like extreme Mental Illness Issues & having that bad guy rise to power, kill people and win so to speak.

Also I respect you if you do see it or if you don’t it’s your life, only one life you have(as far as I know) go live it, but don’t dictate to others to try to stop them from seeing it, because there’s an off chance that one idiot may do something bad, but also if not this film they may get influenced by something else anyway, so we can’t stop making films because of these assholes.

Last edited:

pel1300

Something about the controversy is fishy, I bet it was started by someone who figured it was going to be critically well received & did not like the thought of DC having another hit on their hands, probably one of the easily offended crowd, which of course spread like wildfire now because everyone likes to get offended for the wrong reasons these days. Before we move on I like both Marvel & DC.

The shooting that happened years ago, I truly am sorry for it, though he (the shooter) was dressed up as the joker it happened during the Dark Knight Rises & not the Dark Knight, that movie had nothing to do with the Joker so remember what happened? everyone’s advice was don’t let that asshole win, keep going to the movies, keep going to see these films. Why then did this rule change for this 2019 film? Apart from the Cinema where it happened out of respect I am totally fine with them never showing it.

We have had 2 more movies featuring batman (v Superman & justice league) no fuss was made apart from criticising the movies but that’s irrelevant to this. We were never told to not go to see them (well we were encouraged to not see them because they were said to be rubbish) but there again the joker was not in them, neither was he in Dark Knight Rises where the shooting occurred.

More importantly we had Suicide Squad featuring the Joker & let’s be honest the way Leto acted on set & the things he sent to his costars and his antics overall to get into character, now if they made some sort of fuss about Leto’s Joker, worried that Letos antics offscreen would influence some people, I could’ve understood (I’m Not talking about people disliking Letos joker I’m Referring to the outrage, backlash of the movie existing & trying to tell people to not go to see it because it may cause shootings) I would have understood but it still wouldn’t have stopped me making my own mind up whether I should go to see it or not.

Also we kind of got a Version of the Joker in Gotham too, again nothing happened. I do wonder though if this movie wasn’t not called Joker & had say Batman involved at some point, maybe some other DC character like a version of Harley Quinn would there have been this outrage?

So to take it back on topic about the box office I am glad it is making all this Money it gives me hope, because it says to me that people are breaking away from being mindless controlled Zombies, not allowing the overbearing PC crowd to dictate what we can & can’t watch, the response from the PC crowd is laughable, I have seen these types all over Social Media, like the following example “well it goes to show what a disgusting world we live in right now, because the Joker Movie is being praised”

The Joker is not the first & will not be the last movie that deals with very touchy sensitive subjects like extreme Mental Illness Issues & having that bad guy rise to power, kill people and win so to speak.

Also I respect you if you do see it or if you don’t it’s your life, only one life you have(as far as I know) go live it, but don’t dictate to others to try to stop them from seeing it, because there’s an off chance that one idiot may do something bad, but also if not this film they may get influenced by something else anyway, so we can’t stop making films because of these assholes.

Youngrippa has a theory Bob Iger or Alan Horn, or someone at Disney or Marvel were behind it.

Other theories were the msm in general were behind it, since the Venice film festival critics loved it orat least most of the 100 or so critics there.

Reason being the msm thought the movie was gonna glorify a stereotypical gun toting right wing maniac. Then the movie comes out and has turns out to be nothing like it was described.

The Aurora shooting story never added up to me. The shooter had orange hair not green. Didn't have white make up or a purple suit. Turns out a cop misspoke saying the boy called himself Joker.

The media smearing actually got my friend from Toronto to think it had a disturbing message and that incels would rise and start a revolution. I had to calm him down and say movies like this are nothing new.

How's Ree taking this. They tried so hard to cancel this before it's release.

Despite Fred Mercury and Cheebo attempting to derail Joker threads most of ERA are actually celebrating. Even they are fed up with the constant negativity. I hope this keeps up and eventually the Fred Mercury's and Cheebos and Slayvens will be totally ignored. They are basically trolls at this point.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Youngrippa has a theory Bob Iger or Alan Horn, or someone at Disney or Marvel were behind it.

LMMFAO
Yes of course Disney would be the big evil corporation behind all the negative media. Joker is exactly the type of film they make. Can't have Warner Brothers edging in on their market.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Funny the differences in film ratings between canada and the states.
It's only rated 14A up here.

HarryKS

Just came back from seeing it. It is neither bad, nor good. It teeters between the two yet is not mediocre. Such an oddity. I think it surprised a lot of people. Not because they didn't like it but because they don't really know what they watched.

womfalcs3

Banned
Just came back from seeing it. It is neither bad, nor good. It teeters between the two yet is not mediocre. Such an oddity. I think it surprised a lot of people. Not because they didn't like it but because they don't really know what they watched.

It would be an insult to Joaquin that this movie is not good. He alone carries it.

DiscoJer

But if you don't count inflation, it's basically meaningless, because otherwise every new movie would always do better than previous ones, because basically you have 3% inflation every year.

Adjusted for inflation, Jaws brought in like $1.150 billion in today's dollars.

sol_bad

There is no point in comparing a movie from today to a movie from forty years ago. It's pointless because the markets are so different. VHS wasn't even around in 1975. Home entertainment consisted of free to air tv.

These days there is endless home entertainment. So it's better to compare recent films with each other. Compare how the current market is changing. See what draws viewers to the cinema these days.

womfalcs3

Banned
But if you don't count inflation, it's basically meaningless, because otherwise every new movie would always do better than previous ones, because basically you have 3% inflation every year.

Yeah. We have to control for inflation. We also have to control for all the other variables that people who oppose considering inflation point to: like
- on-screen time (movies that had long on-screen times in the 20th century)
- population
- income

Last edited:
The best part about this is I bet the woke media only helped with the success of this film 😂 I think I might see it again on Halloween night baby! This movie absolutely deserves its success and I’m proud of people supporting it.

Being the highest grossing R-rated film is not nothing. This will have ripple effects in Hollywood

For an R-rated movie with a 55 million dollar budget. It is really 'killing it' at the box office. I wasn;t expecting it to surpass Deadpool.

As a Batman movie, I am still on the fence with it. But as just a character study movie, I liked The Joker.

Might go and see Joker tomorrow as I have a free day. I just noticed that Boxofficemojo is now completely SHIT and no longer a useful site to quickly glance at if you are into that sort of thing. Things truly seem to get worse with time. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Super Mario

Banned
This makes me happy on multiple levels. If DC can make their own universe on this kind of level, they have something special here. They aren't going to beat Marvel at the big CGI fares. This was the boost DC needed.

My only gripe with the movie was that I wanted to see more Joker. However, I believe we will definitely be getting that in the future.

Banned
Eh..

I have to admit how genius it is, in almost every way. But, it still felt odd to me. I can't quite explain it. I felt the movie was trying to be cute over the role of a psychpath, and was not quite there for me. Very particular feeling that I had, and I don't expect anybody to share it. I just don't want to see the movie again... but carry on.

Something did feel a little off by watching it. As in it's good, but not great or anything

Doubt I'll watch it again

Javthusiast

Banned
This is especially a big feat, cause as opposed to Deadpool which is an action movie, Joker is drama/thriller with barely any action.

Last edited:
Top Bottom